E-M1 just back from repair - hmmm

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
brick33308
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,209
Like?
E-M1 just back from repair - hmmm
8 months ago

I sent my E-M1 in a couple of weeks ago because it had completely locked up which I reported here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53036673

When I sent the camera in, I sent in only the body, and didn't send back the original box or anything else. Today I got a different E-M1 (different serial number) which appears to be new, full packaging, new battery, charger, etc. I checked and it has 121 shutter clicks on it.

On the one hand I suppose I should be thrilled that I got a brand new camera. But I can't erase the nagging doubt of whether I would have been better off had they repaired my old camera, addressing the specific problem I had to ensure it never happens again. Instead I've got what appears to be a brand new off the shelf camera (although as I said with 121 clicks - probably just normal factory testing?) and in the back of my mind am wondering if and when I'll experience the same lock up problem. Even worse, if it happens while I'm on vacation (we're going to Iceland in July) then I'll be up the creek so to speak.

Any thoughts?

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171
Like?
Re: E-M1 just back from repair - hmmm
In reply to brick33308, 8 months ago

brick33308 wrote:

I sent my E-M1 in a couple of weeks ago because it had completely locked up which I reported here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53036673

When I sent the camera in, I sent in only the body, and didn't send back the original box or anything else. Today I got what appears to be another E-M1 which appears to be new, full packaging, new battery, charger, etc. I checked and it has 121 shutter clicks on it.

On the one hand I suppose I should be thrilled that I got a brand new camera. But I can't erase the nagging doubt of whether I would have been better off had they repaired my old camera, addressing the specific problem I had to ensure it never happens again. Instead I've got what appears to be a brand new off the shelf camera (although as I said with 121 clicks - probably just normal factory testing?) and in the back of my mind am wondering if and when I'll experience the same lock up problem. Even worse, if it happens while I'm on vacation (we're going to Iceland in July) then I'll be up the creek so to speak.

Any thoughts?

I hear what you are saying; but unless your problem was an assembly wide defect you are indeed better off. Chances are your last em1 had a problem solely unique to it. Getting a brand new camera would be my choice over repairing a likely one-off problem.

Besides now you will see in the next few months if the same problem comes back - i doubt it will.

congrats!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fleabag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,301
Like?

brick33308 wrote:

When I sent the camera in, I sent in only the body, and didn't send back the original box or anything else. Today I got a different E-M1 (different serial number) which appears to be new, full packaging, new battery, charger, etc. I checked and it has 121 shutter clicks on it.

Any thoughts?

Don't over think it. It's just a tool.

Kameraphil
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?

From what you've said, I think one should never buy a new camera

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171
Like?
In reply to Kameraphil, 8 months ago

plus you got at least $50 of oem battery/charger etc. Sell it on ebay and the box - you could make $60 lol

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,509Gear list
Like?

brick33308 wrote:

When I sent the camera in, I sent in only the body, and didn't send back the original box or anything else. Today I got what appears to be another E-M1 which appears to be new, full packaging, new battery, charger, etc. I checked and it has 121 shutter clicks on it.

Any thoughts?

My concern is why they had to replace your camera with another?

For your trip to Iceland are you  bringing a back up EM1, EM5, or M10,  just in case your replacement EM1 also has the well documented EM1 lock up problem?

Good luck whatever you decide.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,410
Like?

Just be happy you got an extra charger and cables.  

Your original camera probably had a defective circuit board and they figured it would be cheaper just to replace the camera.

Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,579Gear list
Like?

If I were you, I would be happy with the new camera (especially since you got extra stuff with it).  For all you know, they found myriad other things wrong with your original camera when they went to diagnose and repair it.  e.g., there might have been a faulty diode / capacitor / other electronic thingy, suspect circuit board, etc. that would likely have caused problems in the future.

Or, they could have dropped it on the floor, scratched the LCD screen, or otherwise accidentally damaged it such that repairing it wouldn't have been cost effective.

OR...it is even possible that Olympus figured that if someone was having to send in a new $1400 camera to have  a stupid defect fixed that never should have happened in the first place, they went above and beyond what they were required to do and gave you a brand new camera, thinking that would make you happy and more prone to do business with them in the future!!

PS.  If you have already insured the original camera with your agent, don't forget to give them the serial number of the new one you just received.  Not to mention doing the online warranty registration for it.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
rickreyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?

Lightning never strikes the same place twice.:-|

-- hide signature --
 rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +6 more
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?

brick33308 wrote:

Any thoughts?

What ?  You got a brand new camera and you are still complaining ?

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,823Gear list
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, 8 months ago

Len_Gee wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Any thoughts?

They probably did not have to, but the new pro-oriented service process does this to save the customer time. This only requires a check to confirm what the customer reported is true, and the replacement is on its way so turn-around delay is minimal. That's part of what the customer paid for with the premium price and important for someone making a profit from using the tool.

tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,823Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, 8 months ago

rrr_hhh wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Any thoughts?

What ? You got a brand new camera and you are still complaining ?

Yes, that's very understandable. The OP is entitled to prefer the situation where the first one did not break at all.

Len_Gee
Like?
In reply to tt321, 8 months ago

tt321 wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Any thoughts?

They probably did not have to, but the new pro-oriented service process does this to save the customer time. This only requires a check to confirm what the customer reported is true, and the replacement is on its way so turn-around delay is minimal. That's part of what the customer paid for with the premium price and important for someone making a profit from using the tool.

Nice service from Oly.    

Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,534Gear list
Like?

the same happened to me, the new one has had a few lock-ups so far but nothing like the original so I'm reasonably happy (will obviously be much happier when Olympus come up with an explanation and a solution to what ever is causing the problem though)

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,900Gear list
Like?

You know, when I first heard I was to send in my E-M1 for a replacement I had the same feelings that you expressed here.

I just decided not to make that one of the things that keep me up at night [g].

It may have to do with this new service chain for the pro line, where the key is to get one a working camera with a minimum of down-time.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +19 more
Len_Gee
Like?
In reply to Brian Wadie, 8 months ago

Brian Wadie wrote:

the same happened to me, the new one has had a few lock-ups so far but nothing like the original so I'm reasonably happy (will obviously be much happier when Olympus come up with an explanation and a solution to what ever is causing the problem though)

-- hide signature --

Why should there be ANY lock ups at all on a camera targeted for pros?

Please enlighten me.  

Regards.

brick33308
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,209
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, 8 months ago

Len_Gee wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

-- hide signature --

Why should there be ANY lock ups at all on a camera targeted for pros?

Please enlighten me.

Regards.

that's my question too

taz98spin
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Not sure if this is similar experience.. but my experience with Customer Service

I had one of the first batches of Olympus FL-300R flashes.

It got really hot sometimes and it would shut off.  So I called customer service to complain.

They offered to look at it and sent me a prepaid shipping ticket that I needed to print off and attach to the box.

The morning I was going to go to UPS to ship it off, over in Japan, Olympus announced that there was an issue with the wiring, so I called customer service to let them know what Olympus Japan announced. I was put on hold for a few minutes, but when the customer service agent returned he said that my reporting was accurate.

He said serial number something through something had that issue.

So instead of sending my unit in and getting it repaired, they offered to just ship me a brand new unit that falls out of the serial number range.

Guess they don't need faulty flash units siting around?

-- hide signature --
 taz98spin's gear list:taz98spin's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S +8 more
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,726Gear list
Like?

Brick, if I were in your situation I'd be very, very happy.  Besides, you have plenty of time between now and your vacation to check the camera out.  Should be no problem at all.  Think Lexus would give you a new car if your old one suddenly quit?  I suspect they'd insist on a repair.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,474Gear list
Like?
Roger of LensRentals talked about this...in his disruptive tech blog post

and IMO this is the *BETTER*, *CHEAPER*, and more *EFFECTIVE* way to do camera repair! It's also typically the Apple way of doing repair as opposed to the inundated PC ways some companies have. Lets think about it for a moment.

In this new model you get a new camera with far less downtime...its a win win for both you and Olympus. Olympus now gets to *collect* cameras with reported failures and spend all the time they want to analyze it as opposed to being on the clock to return it to you (which causes failures in servicing, poorer data analytics, and lower customer satisfaction). When Olympus collects batches of cameras that are swapped out, they can be analyzed for failure in a batch with the time necessary for it, diagnose and repair all of them in a more streamlined manner and then put them on the market as refurbs.

If you get a brand new camera and you have the *same* problem...again it tells both you and the manufacturer that there is a model-wide problem and it very quickly can be escalated based on again better data analytics compared to having to ship back the owners camera.

Any of you guys complaining about this method just aren't thinking out of the box...its really the way to go here. IMO it should be absolutely done for lenses as well!  Waah waah people will be crying that they lose their 'good' copy of their lenses...but if again they adopt this model, it means that eventually with better data analytics *more* people will have *better* lenses, which is far better than 1 person hoarding their 'best' copy lens when 4 others get pretty mediocre ones.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads