XT-1 - not as impressed as everybody else.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
khunfred
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
Re: XT-1 - not as impressed as everybody else.
In reply to MayaTlab0, 10 months ago

MayaTlab0 wrote:

Just an example related to AF performances : mirrorless cameras are often criticised for their AF-C performances as we all know, and we've seen a tremendous increase in performance in that matter over the last year. Yet, without proper ergonomics, a performant AF system is useless for action shooting. When you realise that you still can't quickly change focus points on all mirrorless cameras appart from the OM-Ds, you realise there is a bit of a problem. A Canon 7D / 5DIII / 1DX or Nikon D7100 / D800 / D610 / D4 (pick your poison) remains miles ahead mirrorless cameras for continuous AF, not just because of their performance, but also because of their user interface / ergonomics.

As I used to shoot with 5dII, K5 and D7000, I totally agree with you. But you can't deny that ergonomics is also directly linked to the size of a camera.

As I also used many other ones (X100, Rx100, XZ1...) for fun: each camera is a compromise: compromise in terms of viewfinder, sizes, ergonomics, IQ, lenses... But these last times, I've noticed that more and more people say: "I just received my camera, ergonomics (or AF, or anything else) is dreadful." It looks like more and more people choose their camera for its cons rather than for its pros: "This EVF is not as good as the best OVF"... "This Fuji camera has slower AF than Nikon AF-c"..."These small camera has tiny knobs..." Isn't it funny? And how can your fingers find the knobs immediatly? How can you get the best of an equipment in a few hours? By the way, how getting the best results without working hard? Just choose IA and press the shutter? These thoughts are very simple and obvious, but many people seem having lost some realities. Maybe results of a consumerist era?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 673Gear list
Like?
In reply to notgoodwithpowertools, 10 months ago

notgoodwithpowertools wrote:

JDHarris007 wrote:

The second thing I have noticed is the continuous autofocus never seems to lock or settle on something. If you point it at a stationary object, the focus will constantly shuffle back and forth between front focusing and rear focusing on the object. My Nikons will get into focus and then stop until the camera or object moves. It's not the end of the world, but it does make the continuous autofocus hard for me to use.

... This is exactly the behaviour with the X-E2 on Continuous Autofocus. You've summed up probably the one thing I don't like about the X-E2 hence Continuous Autofocus is one mode I avoid. I was really hopeful when the latest firmware was released and after having installed it, I actually think the shuffling is a lot better but it is still not really useable as it keeps searching even after a subject has settled.

Regards,

A

I noticed this on X-T1 too. I then went and tried it with X-E2 (latest firmware) and it is same.  It is very disconcerting having used back button AF on Nikons.  However, when I took a shot they were sharp. So I guess when you press the shutter it very quickly goes to the last in focus point. But with Phase detect it should know the focus point without moving focus distance back/forth.

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,717Gear list
Like?
In reply to khunfred, 10 months ago

We have a generation of seriously spoiled brats on our hands, the slightest thing not to their taste and the toys are out of the pram. The "Ignore user" function is a modern wonder, thankfully.

khunfred wrote:

"These small camera has tiny knobs..." Isn't it funny? And how can your fingers find the knobs immediatly? How can you get the best of an equipment in a few hours? By the way, how getting the best results without working hard? Just choose IA and press the shutter? These thoughts are very simple and obvious, but many people seem having lost some realities. Maybe results of a consumerist era?
 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
David McGaughey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Like?
In reply to justin_time, 10 months ago

justin_time wrote:

notgoodwithpowertools wrote:

JDHarris007 wrote:

The second thing I have noticed is the continuous autofocus never seems to lock or settle on something. If you point it at a stationary object, the focus will constantly shuffle back and forth between front focusing and rear focusing on the object. My Nikons will get into focus and then stop until the camera or object moves. It's not the end of the world, but it does make the continuous autofocus hard for me to use.

... This is exactly the behaviour with the X-E2 on Continuous Autofocus. You've summed up probably the one thing I don't like about the X-E2 hence Continuous Autofocus is one mode I avoid. I was really hopeful when the latest firmware was released and after having installed it, I actually think the shuffling is a lot better but it is still not really useable as it keeps searching even after a subject has settled.

Regards,

A

I noticed this on X-T1 too. I then went and tried it with X-E2 (latest firmware) and it is same. It is very disconcerting having used back button AF on Nikons. However, when I took a shot they were sharp. So I guess when you press the shutter it very quickly goes to the last in focus point. But with Phase detect it should know the focus point without moving focus distance back/forth.

I think the Phase detect is just being used to tell the camera/lens which direction to focus. The CDAF is still being used to "finish" the focus. So it's doing the jittering because the CDAF is continually checking to see whether it has the best focus.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads