### Weekly Garden&Flower ### 21 February 2014

Started 9 months ago | Photos
WhyNot
Senior MemberPosts: 2,950
Like?
### Weekly Garden&Flower ### 21 February 2014
9 months ago

Welcome to the Vol 1 #4 of the Garden & Flower Thread … This thread is an invitation for you to share your pictures of

Gardens

Flowers in gardens or in the studio

Insects that contribute to or threaten the flowers

Critters that live in the garden

No restrictions as to camera or system. No PP requirements. Just a desire to see what your interests and imagination will bring.... However, please limit insects and critters to a garden/flower context – There are other Threads and Forums for Close-Up/Macros and Wildlife.

Comments I'm sure will be welcomed but are your option ...Be courteous, appreciate what you find here, and provide information and comments that add to the pictures shown when you can....

I will look at and enjoy all entries but may only comment as my time permits

PLEASE reply to this post …. Replace the title with you own .. responding to other posts will probably result in few seeing what you have worked so hard to share...

Now show us what you're garden interests are..... Thank you for participating.

WhyNot

WhyNot
Like?
** Commentary **
In reply to WhyNot, 9 months ago

Another good week as we continue this thread... The cold has retreated locally for this week and a few plants are beginning to take advantage. Still look forward to those colorful flowers from summer in the Southern regions...

If you have comments on this thread, the words used to describe it, want to volunteer to take it over or assist, or anything else that needs to be said about this thread – then reply to this entry...

WhyNot

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WhyNot
Like?
Hints of Spring

Well, Spring here is still a month away but our region has a few plants optimistically looking forward..All pictures this week were taken with the E-30 and Sigma105mm macro except this first one of a hellebore (or Lenten Rose) which has been trying all month to get some attention and really never looks up to the sun making me get down and dirty....literally

ZD 70-300; 215mm; f/8@1/400sec.; ISO 400.

Not sure what this is but I've seen it called a “Pussy Willow Bush” on line...105mm; f/5.6@1/1250sec.: ISO 200.

Next a couple early but not wild flowers...First, a pansy … 105mm; f/9@1/500; ISO 200.

Finally, Crocus and a early bee.... 105mm; f/8@1/200sec.; ISO 200.

All Identification of plants is subject to your approval and correction,,,, All comments and critique of the pictures will be appreciated. Thank for spending this time here....

Scott Whittemore
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,186
Like?
Three recent ones...

…from my trip to Trinidad earlier this month.

Mussaenda Erythrophylla

Wild Senna

I don't know the identity of this flower. Anybody?

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: Hints of Spring

I love that crocus shot. Are you sure that's a bee? It looks more like a hoverfly to me.

-- hide signature --
WhyNot
Like?
In reply to Scott Whittemore, 9 months ago

Scott Whittemore wrote:

I love that crocus shot. Are you sure that's a bee? It looks more like a hoverfly to me.

-- hide signature --

I should have written “All identifications of plants and insects are subject to your approval.... “ as you are undoubtedly correct. Just wishful thinking on my part because I knew that the bees are still hibernating, as they had to move the hives last week at the gardens... Thanks for the comment and correction...

WhyNot
Like?
Re: Three recent ones...

Interesting flowers.. doesn't that first have a more common name in Trinidad?.....never mind I looked it up >commonly known as Ashanti Blood, Red Flag Bush and Tropical Dogwood.”  Looked a bit but couldn't find anything close to the third... It's a slow day here....

Nice pictures by the way...Hope you had a good time in Trinidad...

minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529
Like?
the gardens of Alcatraz

Even though we were there on a dreadfully bright day, the gardens were beautiful. I never knew there was anything to see at Alcatraz besides the prison itself, but the gardens alone are worth the trip.

The walls and cliffs are dripping with flowers

poppies with the old garden bridge in the background

some folks build their homes among the plants of the old formal gardens.

lily in the shadows of the massive wall of the prison

succulents make beautiful flowers

orange and purple look good together

Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: the gardens of Alcatraz
In reply to minniev, 9 months ago

All great shots. I think the plant in that first image is called "ice plant." Hopefully others will correct me if I'm wrong about that. I visited Monterey in May a few years back and that stuff was painting the ledges pink along the shore. Spectacuar! I look forward to my next visit.

Those California poppies are nice too.

-- hide signature --
Rich Z
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,670Gear list
Like?
Current blossoms

Moderate low temperatures here on The Redwood Coast have the flowers blooming early. I'm hoping there's no March freeze, which we sometimes get. Still not into The Spring Bloom, you have to know where to look, but they're there. All of these from the past few days. Rich

E5, ZD 50mm macro with EC 20, 100 mm

E5, Leica D 14-150

E5, Leica D 14-150

E5, Leica D 14-150

Same as above, crop

E5, Leica D 14-150

E5, Leica D 14-150

E5, Leica D 14-150

E5, ZD 50mm macro, EC 14, 70mm

Same as above, crop

Same as above, crop

Same as above, crop

http://photobucket.com/dfr49_pix

Rich Z
Like?

Great pix, nice color.  I'm impressed with your work with the Sigma.  Thanks for keeping this thread up each week.  I'm sure many more people appreciate it than actually post.  Rich

Rich Z
Like?

Very nice work, Scott.  I'm assuming M.Zuiko 75-300.  Great bokeh, and obviously a great lens, in the right hands.  Rich

Rich Z
Like?
Re: the gardens of Alcatraz
In reply to minniev, 9 months ago

Nice pictures, nice color, nice choice of compositions.  I get "down below" as we refer to San Francisco here in Northern California, but never had any idea of the gardens on Alcatraz.  Next time, I'll have a look.  Thanks for the great pix.  Rich

Canadian Club
Forum ProPosts: 41,250
Like?

Gorgeous shots.  Excellent.

CC

Scott Whittemore
Like?
In reply to Rich Z, 9 months ago

Thanks, Rich.

It is the m.ZD 75-300. That is a pretty nice lens when it gets enough light. All my work is handheld, which is why my ISOs are usually a little high with this lens. Between the noise and the motion blur, I don't get many keepers in dim light. But when the light is adequate, this lens can produce some surprisingly good images.

-- hide signature --
Canadian Club
Forum ProPosts: 41,250
Like?
Re: Current blossoms

Awesome.  Not only the beautiful colours but the backgrounds, love the ones that look like blue sky - were you on your hands and knees?

Very nice variety.

CC

Scott Whittemore
Like?

A very nice set of images, Rich. I particularly like the shots with the sky backdrop. You had a nice display of clouds to work with and you used it well. The ZD 50mm macro shots are packed with nice sharp detail, as one expects from that lens when used properly. A very interesting set.

-- hide signature --
smartbox
Contributing MemberPosts: 645
Like?

Lovely color on all captures and I really like the creamy OOF areas on the second capture.

smartbox
Like?

Very nice captures.  Outstanding job with subject isolation on all three captures.

smartbox
Like?

Lovely captures and way to make use of available light.  Wow! that 50 is sharp.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads