What is this forum for?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
SRS_Photography
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
Re: Some analysis
In reply to Andrewteee, 8 months ago

I cannot agree more.  Gear forums talk only about gears. If you look, say, Landscape forum, they talk about photography not gears. Gear people are not into taking photo, they just love their gears. I love Landscape forum, there are tons of nice people. Last year, I went to Europe and forgot my D700 charger, I posted an emergency help. A guy in Delft  lent me his D700 charger. Earlier this month, I wanted to know the exact point of certain area in Tuscany, I posted the photo, and sure a guy gave me the exact coordinate. People in Landscape forum are just amazing people.

SRS_Photography's gear list:SRS_Photography's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,193Gear list
Like?
Re: What is this forum for?
In reply to PaleRiderBath, 8 months ago

PaleRiderBath wrote:

Good day to you all. I don't often post here but have lurked for many years. Over the last day or so, I have been browsing the forum for the first time in a while and am much saddened by what I have found. On just this first page I have witnessed:

• Insults.

See points 3 & 4

• Forum members attacking other members.

See points 3 & 4

• Some really quite sophisticated trolling.
  • Some really very unsophisticated trolling.

The cause of many problems on these foru.

• Bickering and fighting.

See points 3 & 4

• Threads and posts disappearing all over the place.

As a result of points 1, 2 & 5 due to points 3 & 4.

• A general air of dissent and discontent.

See points 3 & 4

I was hoping to come on and ask a couple of questions but it does not look like I would be very welcome to do so.

Ask away. I am sure you will receive a civil response.

Is this forum still suitable for such a purpose or has it completely descended into chaos now? It was always a bit "edgy" in here, but it seems to be out of control now. What has been the cause of this and is it worth my effort to ask questions here?

See points 3 & 4

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,635
Like?
We see what we want to see

maljo

Humours Dip
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352
Like?

PaleRiderBath wrote:

Good day to you all. I don't often post here but have lurked for many years. Over the last day or so, I have been browsing the forum for the first time in a while and am much saddened by what I have found. On just this first page I have witnessed:

• Insults.

I was hoping to come on and ask a couple of questions but it does not look like I would be very welcome to do so. Is this forum still suitable for such a purpose or has it completely descended into chaos now? It was always a bit "edgy" in here, but it seems to be out of control now. What has been the cause of this and is it worth my effort to ask questions here?

This is the purpose of the forum:

• To maximise traffic to Dpreview in order to maximise advertising revenue.
  • That's it.
  • No really, that's it. 

This is not a forum for photographers. Moderation is very poor. Threads are full of testosterone fueled arguments about minor details, or the feature set of current and future cameras.

The truth is that any fool can own a camera. And owning a camera is the entrance fee, though many here do not even own a Nikon FX camera.

The forum should be about problem solving and education. But look at the photo galleries of the most argumentative posters and you see they care little for photography given the low quality of their pictures. If they spent more time learning and less time fighting, they would improve.

Humours Dip
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352
Like?
In reply to Lance B, 8 months ago

Lance B wrote:

PaleRiderBath wrote:

• Insults.

See points 3 & 4

See points 3 & 4

The cause of many problems on these foru.

See points 3 & 4

As a result of points 1, 2 & 5 due to points 3 & 4.

See points 3 & 4

I was hoping to come on and ask a couple of questions but it does not look like I would be very welcome to do so.

Ask away. I am sure you will receive a civil response.

Is this forum still suitable for such a purpose or has it completely descended into chaos now? It was always a bit "edgy" in here, but it seems to be out of control now. What has been the cause of this and is it worth my effort to ask questions here?

See points 3 & 4

Yes. Looking at shotcents his aim is to start fights, I don't think he gives a fig for photography.

SRS_Photography
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
In reply to Humours Dip, 8 months ago

Humours Dip wrote:

This is the purpose of the forum:

• To maximise traffic to Dpreview in order to maximise advertising revenue.
  • That's it.
  • No really, that's it.

This is not a forum for photographers. Moderation is very poor. Threads are full of testosterone fueled arguments about minor details, or the feature set of current and future cameras.

The truth is that any fool can own a camera. And owning a camera is the entrance fee, though many here do not even own a Nikon FX camera.

The forum should be about problem solving and education. But look at the photo galleries of the most argumentative posters and you see they care little for photography given the low quality of their pictures. If they spent more time learning and less time fighting, they would improve.

Cannot agree more!!!

SRS_Photography's gear list:SRS_Photography's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
rondhamalam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,552
Like?
Insults?

PaleRiderBath wrote:

• Insults.

Most insults are because they don't have money to buy expensive gears. Hence frustration and depression and jealousy and hatred.

They who have money to buy all the most expensive gears they never need to come to this forum.

Note: This is not an insult, only fact 

PaleRiderBath
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
Re: Insults?
In reply to rondhamalam, 8 months ago

rondhamalam wrote:

PaleRiderBath wrote:

• Insults.

Most insults are because they don't have money to buy expensive gears. Hence frustration and depression and jealousy and hatred.

They who have money to buy all the most expensive gears they never need to come to this forum.

Robert? Is that you?

PaleRiderBath's gear list:PaleRiderBath's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +3 more
1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
Class warfare?
In reply to rondhamalam, 8 months ago

rondhamalam wrote:

PaleRiderBath wrote:

• Insults.

For the life of me I don't understand this rationale being defined as a FACT. I'm sitting here looking at $16,000 worth of Nikon bodies, lenses, flashes and assorted accessories. Granted many others here own quite a bit more than me, but I salute them for that and have absolutely zero jealousy. This is just your typical 1% argument that human nature dictates you MUST be green with envy towards those with more possessions/materials goods than yourself and that this "1%" has accumulated all their wealth and possessions by ripping off the 99%. For a few on these forums this may apply, and it is probably obvious who they are.

But for anyone to say that the majority here MUST be jealous because they don't own and shoot one particular Nikon body or lens is stupidity and is only intended to cause forum-chaos - plain and simple. This baloney has been perpetuated by one individual over and over and over again, so it looks like you've bought into his ignorance. And it has recently come to light that this looneytoon is only here to "dick" people around then go on facebook and have a good laugh with his buddies. IMHO, this is a blatant mockery of the forum and its moderator.

The people who do have the most expensive arsenal on this forum usually have the most knowledge of their gear. Their photographic skills may not always match their knowledge, but these pros contribute a great deal to this forum regarding Nikon and I have learned a lot from them. Most of them worked long, hard and smart to get what they shoot with and I commend them for it.

When you stated the "facts" as you see them, you really miss the point that this latter group of people NEVER brag about the monetary value of their gear and for the most part are here to help others. This group may be diminishing in numbers because of all the "dick'n" that has been going on recently, and that is sad. So when you say something is a fact, you should be saying it's just your opinion which I have stated about this post.

Stan

Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,766
Like?
Troll

• Insults.

I was hoping to come on and ask a couple of questions but it does not look like I would be very welcome to do so. Is this forum still suitable for such a purpose or has it completely descended into chaos now? It was always a bit "edgy" in here, but it seems to be out of control now. What has been the cause of this and is it worth my effort to ask questions here?

What a parhetic post. Post title is a question and then makes out that you can't ask questions without being insulted. Loser.

Critisizes everyone in the Nikon forum and then complains about trolling. He ought to try the Canon forum... that's much better.

Implies that people disagree and argue just for the sake of it. I couldn't disagree more.

Just show me one reply to your post which backs up your completely inadequate assertions.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

minor salazar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,619Gear list
Like?

To share cookie recipes

PaleRiderBath wrote:

• Insults.

fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?

PaleRiderBath wrote:

• Insults.

Actually I think it mirrors society as a whole in recent years. People don't like each other anymore, and are willing to fight over anything. They don't even need a believable excuse to start a vitriolic food fight.

In truth I think it's a result of lack of discipline, which use too be enforced by parents, and schools at one time. Those kids that grew up without fear of consequences are now adults, and what you see is what you get. For example when I was a kid if a teacher hit me the last thing I would do is report it to my parents, or further punishment would ensue. Basically we're living with a bunch of over indulged spoiled brat adults. You know their very sensitive delicate flowers when it comes to their own feelings though. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
PaleRiderBath
Like?
Re: Troll
In reply to Photo Pete, 8 months ago

Photo Pete wrote:

• Insults.

What a parhetic post. Post title is a question and then makes out that you can't ask questions without being insulted. Loser.

Critisizes everyone in the Nikon forum and then complains about trolling. He ought to try the Canon forum... that's much better.

Implies that people disagree and argue just for the sake of it. I couldn't disagree more.

Just show me one reply to your post which backs up your completely inadequate assertions.

nice one.

I believe that it appropriate etiquette at this juncture to point out that it is spelled "pathetic".

see? I'm fitting right in.

Nikon D800E Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +3 more
1w12q312qw1
Like?

Photo Pete wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion, naturally.

He is hardly criticising "everyone" in this forum, re-read his post.

You're joking, right?

Read the entire thread and you'll find them.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
A sign of the times

If you drive a car, you no doubt see a lot of aggressive, angry driving. Same thing. People are getting nastier by the day, and most of us have learned to play the game. It is a way of passing time.

But you can get good advice here. Ask a question, and just ignore stuff you think is a part of the forum-jumper game (or play the game with them if you enjoy it). You will always get some meaningful answers. If you want to know about a specific lens, ask the question. You might get different takes on it, but you pick and choose as to which is probably right. The DPR Nikon lens forum is excellent.

But a forum should never be a place that you look to for a purchase decision. It's more about learning the right questions. I often learn aspects of a particular product that I had not considered, and this can lead to more investigation on other sites. There are so many expert reviews on things these days that you can find the answers you need without forums, if you know the right questions. Forums help with that.

And you know, you will begin to identify with some of the characters. Larry Wilson and Reily D. are completely different people, but I enjoy the comments by both. It's kinda like a little soap opera. I like it. Hey, I just got the Nikon 24-70 lens. I was advised to get it months ago in the lens forum, but I decided to go a different way. They were right. I was wrong. As soon as the real work started I knew I had screwed-the-pooch. Now I have more lenses than the law should allow. One of them is a Nikon 24-70.

PaleRiderBath
Like?
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, 8 months ago

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

You're joking, right?

Yes. I think the whole post is in good humour.

1w12q312qw1
Like?

PaleRiderBath wrote:

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

You're joking, right?

I know, just doing the Monty Python argument sketch.

Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,766
Like?

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

You're joking, right?

Yes. A Joke. We need a few on this forum!

Although I think it is the protocol here for me to now argue over several increasingly aggressive posts that parhetic is actually the correct spelling!
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

PaleRiderBath
Like?

Photo Pete wrote:

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

You're joking, right?

Yes. A Joke. We need a few on this forum!

Although I think it is the protocol here for me to now argue over several increasingly aggressive posts that parhetic is actually the correct spelling!

While I am certain that you spell checked your post ten times, you still missed the split infinitive.

sorry!

*runs for cover*

bbbinohio
Contributing MemberPosts: 962Gear list
Like?
You're Right. I Blocked 24 Members.

You are very, very right.  I found the forum to be the same as you have. This forum is FULL of insecure people who strike out at others so they can feel like a "big shot".

However, after I blocked 24 of the most arrogant, condescending, demeaning members, the forum interaction for me has improved tremendously.  And there were plenty of good members left to help me.

Good people don't care how much others know if the can't present the information in a kind, uplifting manner.

Thanks for Your Post,

Bob, from Ohio

bbbinohio's gear list:bbbinohio's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads