D800 for Sexy Haute Couture ELLE Magazine Shoot

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Benjamin Kanarek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,207Gear list
Like?
D800 for Sexy Haute Couture ELLE Magazine Shoot
10 months ago

Just wanted to share with you my newest ELLE Magazine very sexy shoot with Canadian Model Chantal Stafford-Abbott. Shot with the Nikon D800 and Nikkor 24-120 f/4.0 VR lens.

Hope you enjoy it!

Link: http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/mtpf

Best

Ben

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
marshim
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 for Sexy Haute Couture ELLE Magazine Shoot
In reply to Benjamin Kanarek, 10 months ago

Thank you for sharing Benjamin!

And 24-120 rocks in your hands again

-- hide signature --

MarShim
---------------------------------------------------
It is easier to stay out than get out.

marshim's gear list:marshim's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
goosel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,485Gear list
Like?

superb, but ii do like the last one the best

lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,930
Like?

I admire your style and you definitely produce some sweet stuff. Even with a 24-120 F4. Mine squeeks en purrs, but Nikon says that's normal. But I'm 300% sure mine will squeek and purr even louder when I would point it at such a skinny girl...

lock

j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385Gear list
Like?

Another nice set. Thanks.

It's a pleasure to see some serious work posted here as opposed to more complaints about whatever...

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Benjamin Kanarek
Like?
In reply to j_photo, 10 months ago

j_photo wrote:

It's a pleasure to see some serious work posted here as opposed to more complaints about whatever...

Thanks a lot!

Benjamin Kanarek
Like?
In reply to j_photo, 10 months ago

j_photo wrote:

Thanks

Benjamin Kanarek
Like?
In reply to lock, 10 months ago

lock wrote:

I admire your style and you definitely produce some sweet stuff. Even with a 24-120 F4. Mine squeeks en purrs, but Nikon says that's normal. But I'm 300% sure mine will squeek and purr even louder when I would point it at such a skinny girl...

lock

"Even with a 24-120 F4"...It is a really fine lens...Period

Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,579Gear list
Like?

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

lock wrote:

I admire your style and you definitely produce some sweet stuff. Even with a 24-120 F4. Mine squeeks en purrs, but Nikon says that's normal. But I'm 300% sure mine will squeek and purr even louder when I would point it at such a skinny girl...

lock

I agree! 24-120mm is a fine fashion/full bodied portrait lens.

Always nice to see your work Ben!

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 21,018Gear list
Like?
GREAT fashion photography!

Thanks for sharing! Love it, just love it.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Weegee
Contributing MemberPosts: 995
Like?
Sorry Benjamin, it doesn't make it for me.....
In reply to Steve Bingham, 10 months ago

So, I went to your portfolio page and THAT does make it for me. Your portfolio examples are well lit and graphically exciting. This is a bad example of your work. Just my frank opinion.

golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

Just wanted to share with you my newest ELLE Magazine very sexy shoot with Canadian Model Chantal Stafford-Abbott. Shot with the Nikon D800 and Nikkor 24-120 f/4.0 VR lens.

Hope you enjoy it!

Link: http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/mtpf

Best

Ben

impressive images, thanks for sharing

out of interest why did you choose the 70-120 over primes or the 2.8s?

vincent__l
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?

People need to realize that fashion doesn't usually push the limits of gear like sports or wildlife. Specs like 11fps, 600mm focal length, f/1.2 aperture, blazing fast AF, weather sealing, ISO infinity, etc are overkill. The experience of the photographer and creative team will have the most impact.

Nice work Ben.

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

lock wrote:

lock

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 11,237Gear list
Like?
Lovely !

Very well done - both the model and the photographer

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Lord Mox
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?

24-120 f/4.0 VR??? It's not the champ of anything! one of the weakest lenses in Nikon's fx lineup!! yet you use it!!

Just kidding :-), your work is inspiring and beautiful. Well done and all the best.

-LM

Lord Mox's gear list:Lord Mox's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Mr Physics
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
Re: GREAT fashion photography!
In reply to Steve Bingham, 10 months ago

Yup. Good stuff. Very good. Wow. Your vision is great.

Mr Physics's gear list:Mr Physics's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +10 more
Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832
Like?
In reply to Mr Physics, 10 months ago

Amazing work!.... most encouraging and inviting!  Do you have any words of wisdom when it comes to using the 24-120?  (I have one too....:)  Thanks so much.

-- hide signature --
Benjamin Kanarek
Like?
In reply to Lord Mox, 10 months ago

Lord Mox wrote:

24-120 f/4.0 VR??? It's not the champ of anything! one of the weakest lenses in Nikon's fx lineup!! yet you use it!!

Just kidding :-), your work is inspiring and beautiful. Well done and all the best.

-LM

Has anyone here ever used this lens for a pro application in studio? If not I highly recommend you do. You will be pleasantly pleased.

Benjamin Kanarek
Like?
In reply to Ernie Misner, 10 months ago

Ernie Misner wrote:

Amazing work!.... most encouraging and inviting! Do you have any words of wisdom when it comes to using the 24-120? (I have one too....:) Thanks so much.

-- hide signature --

Honestly, not really. I use it in studio at optimal aperture and with flash. It can be brutally sharp even at 120mm. But then again, the perceived sharpness due to the contrast of the flash light and optimum aperture sure help a lot.

Nonetheless, I really think that those who are crapping on this lens never really used it. Perhaps a few snaps and some heavy duty pixel peeping at 100-200 percent.

Look, I can see the fine detail in the retina @100 percent. That says it all, especially on a photo originally taken from the waist up and cropped on the eye.

Here is an un-retouched 100 percent close up on her face from...Shot in 5/4 crop mode for magazine work thus 30.2 megapixels instead of the 36.3 native megapixels.

Original:

ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102Gear list
Like?

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Amazing work!.... most encouraging and inviting! Do you have any words of wisdom when it comes to using the 24-120? (I have one too....:) Thanks so much.

-- hide signature --

Honestly, not really. I use it in studio at optimal aperture and with flash. It can be brutally sharp even at 120mm. But then again, the perceived sharpness due to the contrast of the flash light and optimum aperture sure help a lot.

Nonetheless, I really think that those who are crapping on this lens never really used it. Perhaps a few snaps and some heavy duty pixel peeping at 100-200 percent.

First, great work and congrats!

There have been a lot of threads on this lens recently, and I'm not sure I would agree that people are crapping on it as much as they are trying to put it into perspective.

My POV is that anyone considering this lens, and looking at what you did with one, should consider where and how you used it. That is in controlled lighting, using optimal apertures and shutter speed, a posed subject, in the hands of a professional.

I'll bet if, when putting on the 24-120 at the beginning of the shoot, it slipped out of your hands and smashed on the floor, you would have reached into your bag, selected another option, made some adjustments, and went on with the shoot.  And even if that option was a 24-85 VR, you would have ended up with perhaps slightly different, but equally great, results because of your skills as professional photographer.

But if I want a lens to take pictures of my kids running around at indoor family gatherings, or dancers on stage in low light, or indoor junior high school sports, simply buying a 24-120 does not mean my pictures are going to look like your Elle spread.

I think that's why there are negative posts on this lens, and is probably the same reason for many of the negative posts on any lens for that matter: the lens did not suit the conditions under which it was used, or the user did not make adjustments that would have improved the conditions relative to what the lens can and cannot do.

In your posts and comments in this spread, you have clearly stated, as you did above as well, how you are using this lens, so I'm not suggesting you are creating a misunderstanding.

I just wanted to point out that when others, myself included, point out in other threads the strengths and weaknesses of this lens, we're not crapping on it, but rather trying to help others find the best lens for their needs, based on what they say they want to use it for.

A lot of people have a "you gotta get this lens" and "anyone who says anything different is wrong" attitude, especially it seems on this lens.  My POV is that its a great lens for the right purposes, and at $1,300 its worth making sure this leans and someones stated purposes are aligned.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads