Zoom Lense

Started 5 months ago | Questions
Mrityunjit
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Zoom Lense
5 months ago

Hi all Photography Enthusiast,

I have a camera Nikon D5100 with 18-55 lense. I am looking for a zoom lense and confused with

1. Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

2. Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

Feature wise both are almost equal other Lens mount that Fx and Dx.

Can you suggest one of this considering a usage of amature photographer ?

Thanks and Regards,

Mrityunjit

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,924Gear list
Like?
Re: Zoom Lense
In reply to Mrityunjit, 5 months ago

You might find something interesting here http://www.cameralabs.com/lenses/lens_buyers_guide/Nikon_Nikkor_lenses/Recommended_Nikkor_Nikon_lenses.shtml

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,381Gear list
Like?

Mrityunjit wrote:

Hi all Photography Enthusiast,

I have a camera Nikon D5100 with 18-55 lense. I am looking for a zoom lense and confused with

1. Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

2. Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

Feature wise both are almost equal other Lens mount that Fx and Dx.

Can you suggest one of this considering a usage of amature photographer ?

Thanks and Regards,

Mrityunjit

The 55-300 is a DX lens ( you have a DX camera ) so the focal length will be 55-300

The 70-300 is an FX lens ( you have a Dx camera but can use it ) so you will have an effective focal length of 105 to 450

I would think the 70-300 is the better lens and it's good if you ever switch to full frame but that leaves a gap in your range between 55 and 105. A range where you'd probably do a fair bit of shooting. But maybe not.

Get rid of the 18-55 and get an 18-105 or even ( my choice ) an 18-70 ( no VR though ) and put the 70-300 with it, and you've pretty much got it all covered,

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,381Gear list
Like?
In reply to T O Shooter, 5 months ago

And actually the range missing is only about 80 to 105 if you pair the 18-55 with the 70-300.  I didn't convert the 55 to full frame equivalent.  So in full frame terms you have a 28-80 ( roughly ) and a 105 to 450 with that combination.  But again, I'd prefer a 18-70 which I consider a better lens with no gap in the range at all.

-- hide signature --

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Photec
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?

Wouldn't this question be better served on the "Nikon DSLR Lens" Forum?

j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,077Gear list
Like?
In reply to T O Shooter, 5 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

The 55-300 is a DX lens ( you have a DX camera ) so the focal length will be 55-300

The 70-300 is an FX lens ( you have a Dx camera but can use it ) so you will have an effective focal length of 105 to 450

--

This is wrong. Whether a lens is DX or FX does not change it's focal length characteristics. At 300 mm both lenses will have the same field of view, same focal length, and same "effective" focal length.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads