Started 5 months ago | Discussions
dmaclau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349Gear list
Like?
both simultaneously
In reply to nick_webster, 5 months ago

depends upon wether you see a difference or not

dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-M1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
I don't ...
In reply to dmaclau, 5 months ago

I was curious to see if others did

Nick

Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,412Gear list
Like?
Is there really little difference, or has it just not been noticed?

nick_webster wrote:

It looks as if some people see some small differences and others, like me, don't perceive a big enough difference to notice. At least it makes me feel as if I'm not missing something obvious

I wonder if it depends on subject matter, as it does with the X10 (EXR sensor) and the X20 (X-Trans)?

In general, when we only had the X10 we thought it resolved well.  However, as this shot shows, certain details, like a face, show little difference between the two cameras, whereas the weave in a pair of jeans is quite obviously better resolved with X-Trans.

These two cameras have the same optics but different sensors.  These are crops from the same two images:

Not a lot of difference on facial features

Better resolution by X-Trans is obvious on cloth weave, guitar front panel

Differences best seen at Original size.

I have shot extensive comparisons between these two cameras and the differences are not always clearly visible. At certain times on certain detail in certain scenes the differences are obvious.

When comparing published review images from the X-A1 and X-M1 with, say the X-Pro 1, it appears that different optics are being used. The two cameras are so obviously inferior in detail sharpness that I assume different lenses were used, possibly the kit lenses on the X-A1 and the X-M1, while the X-Pro 1 looks like it has a good prime attached.

It became obvious after a while with the Nikon D800, for instance, that good optics were needed to get the extra details out. Kit lenses showed no improvement over lesser cameras.

I understand that the same issue dogged first reports from the Pentax K3.  Unless you use appropriate quality optics, better sensors won't necessarily show their features.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
Scene dependance makes sense
In reply to Trevor G, 5 months ago

It may well be that the scenes I've shot have not demonstrated much difference between the 2 CFAs.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Nick

Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
Fiction

Fiction. Fuji keeps talking about no AA filter bla bla bla. Like that is something unique and special just to them. However you can buy a 24 mega pixel Nikon D7100 with no AA filter and it is a Bayer sensor. I think even the new little D 5300 doesn't have an AA filter. So where is the advantage. Then you look at all the trouble they had with poor raw processers and output and it is clear that there is no advantage to Xtrans. I will buy the XT-1 but it is inspite of the Xtrans train wreck sensor. Now having said that the images from fuji cameras are gorgeous and equal to anything else.

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,239
Like?
Re: X-Trans advantages - fact or fiction ?
In reply to Sal Baker, 5 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

You don't need any of us to tell you what you like. Do what I did a couple of months ago. Download a decent RAW file for the X camera of your choice form the Internet, and download a free demo of any of the major converter programs.

Yes, that's the best idea, and definitely what I'd do if I were looking to buy a new system.

Thanks,

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads