viewfinder dissapointment

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Geedorama
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
viewfinder dissapointment
7 months ago

I was a bit disappointed in the viewfinder of my A900 after all the fuzz about how big and bright it was. At first I didn't understand why, it was substantially larger than the one on my A700 after all.
Then I took my old Minolta X700 (from under a thick layer of dust) and put it to my eye..WOW that was (literally) an eye-opener...much larger than I ever remembered it to be. Also way easier to focus manually because of the grittier matte screen.

Anybody know why they don't make them so big anymore? And how does the EVF in A99 compare?

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guido_2007/
Ideally, the lens captures what the eye had in mind...but the damn thing won't listen.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,860
Like?
Re: viewfinder dissapointment
In reply to Geedorama, 7 months ago

in most cameras the market went with penta-mirrors in the mirror box instead of a prism. having a full frame view through the viewfinder means the whole assembly needs special calibration so to cut costs they only show 75 or 80%. These cameras are all AF now. the AF system requires light be diverted from the viewfinder to the AF sensors so the view is dimmer. That makes the focusing matte which also steals some light from the view too dim to use properly. The A900 had a prism and also is 100% view that's why everyone liked it so much but it doesn't hold a candle to the view from a film camera.

The EVF's have drought us back to a 100% and bright view, and with peaking we essentially have the matte screen functionality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810Gear list
Like?

I used the supermatte screen on my A900 and found that it let me manually focus anywhere on the screen even at f1.4 with most lenses.  I can't remember what sony called it, L or M I think, I'd definitely recommend it.

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,888Gear list
Like?

Well I use to have the a850 and always loved the VF.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

yakkosmurf
Senior MemberPosts: 2,075Gear list
Like?
In reply to JamieTux, 7 months ago

JamieTux wrote:

I used the supermatte screen on my A900 and found that it let me manually focus anywhere on the screen even at f1.4 with most lenses. I can't remember what sony called it, L or M I think, I'd definitely recommend it.

It's the M screen.  I might look at getting one.  I have the L now, which added a grid.

-- hide signature --
 yakkosmurf's gear list:yakkosmurf's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +7 more
Geedorama
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
In reply to cosmonaut, 7 months ago

I ask because I ordered an adapter to use my old manual minolta lenses on the A900. I'll try the pentax eyepiece magnifier I have sitting on my A700, maybe that will help. Are the M screens still available?

Thanks for the reply everyone!

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guido_2007/
Ideally, the lens captures what the eye had in mind...but the damn thing won't listen.

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,959Gear list
Like?

Geedorama wrote:

I was a bit disappointed in the viewfinder of my A900 after all the fuzz about how big and bright it was. At first I didn't understand why, it was substantially larger than the one on my A700 after all.
Then I took my old Minolta X700 (from under a thick layer of dust) and put it to my eye..WOW that was (literally) an eye-opener...much larger than I ever remembered it to be. Also way easier to focus manually because of the grittier matte screen.

Anybody know why they don't make them so big anymore? And how does the EVF in A99 compare?

The screen on old film cameras were designed to make manual focus easier. They has a coarser grind so they were brighter and snapped into focus in a more obvious way. Digital cameras have a finer ground surface which has finer resolution. As far as size, maybe a more power magnifying lens?

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads