New Microphone for Multi Interface hot shoe

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
phototherapy
Contributing MemberPosts: 716
Like?
New Microphone for Multi Interface hot shoe
5 months ago

For A6000 & A58 & A79 and all other new camera's to come, is it a gadget or something that is really usefull ? thanks.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-picture-of-the-a6000-with-the-bluetooth-mic-and-af-tests-are-very-promising/

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
IanML
Contributing MemberPosts: 984
Like?
Re: New Microphone for Multi Interface hot shoe
In reply to phototherapy, 5 months ago

To my mind, assuming the tall stand-alone thing is the mike and transmitter, and the thing on the shoe is the receiver, very useful for video. The main problem with video sound is noise from the camera. This will allow an off-camera mike to be cordlessly connected, so not hampering the cameraman, and will do away with the need for a separate recorder, the output of which has to be synchronised to the footage in post.

-- hide signature --

Ian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IanML
Contributing MemberPosts: 984
Like?
Re: New Microphone for Multi Interface hot shoe
In reply to IanML, 5 months ago

Just to add, the unit seems very similar to the ECM-HW2 for camcorders.  That is a very versatile unit and even allows two way communication when the mike is worn by a subject/assistant.

Link to operating instructions

-- hide signature --

Ian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phototherapy
Contributing MemberPosts: 716
Like?
Re: New Microphone for Multi Interface hot shoe
In reply to IanML, 5 months ago

IanML wrote:

To my mind, assuming the tall stand-alone thing is the mike and transmitter, and the thing on the shoe is the receiver, very useful for video. The main problem with video sound is noise from the camera. This will allow an off-camera mike to be cordlessly connected, so not hampering the cameraman, and will do away with the need for a separate recorder, the output of which has to be synchronised to the footage in post.

-- hide signature --

Ian

the sound is recorded by the camera directly I think, so why should the output still have to synchronised in post ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IanML
Contributing MemberPosts: 984
Like?
Re: New Microphone for Multi Interface hot shoe
In reply to phototherapy, 5 months ago

phototherapy wrote:

IanML wrote:

To my mind, assuming the tall stand-alone thing is the mike and transmitter, and the thing on the shoe is the receiver, very useful for video. The main problem with video sound is noise from the camera. This will allow an off-camera mike to be cordlessly connected, so not hampering the cameraman, and will do away with the need for a separate recorder, the output of which has to be synchronised to the footage in post.

-- hide signature --

Ian

the sound is recorded by the camera directly I think, so why should the output still have to synchronised in post ?

I think you misread what I said:   "and will do away with the need for a separate recorder, the output of which has to be synchronised to the footage in post."

-- hide signature --

Ian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leonche64
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
Re: New Microphone for Multi Interface hot shoe
In reply to phototherapy, 5 months ago

Wow! This is a simple solution to so many technical issues involving video shooting. It looks like you can now film from across the room at f8, have the transmitter hard lined into an H2, and have it recorded in-camera in stereo with the ability to sync it at the same quality to 4 channel surround sound with out carrying any additional gear. Amazing.

For all the moaning and crying about the new hotshoe, it is starting to make a lot of sense.

 leonche64's gear list:leonche64's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,629
Like?
Re: New Microphone for Multi Interface hot shoe
In reply to IanML, 5 months ago

IanML wrote:

Just to add, the unit seems very similar to the ECM-HW2 for camcorders. That is a very versatile unit and even allows two way communication when the mike is worn by a subject/assistant.

Link to operating instructions

-- hide signature --

Ian

Link to new mic

https://docs.sony.com/release/ECMW1M_EN_ES_FR.pdf

Does look very similar to the ECM-HW2 but adds a port for a separate mic to the transmitter unit so you can use it just as a mic pack and have a separate higher quality mic hooked to it. It is a neat device but similar units exist that would just require a mic port on the camera to work.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?
Re: New Microphone for Multi Interface hot shoe
In reply to leonche64, 5 months ago

leonche64 wrote:

Wow! This is a simple solution to so many technical issues involving video shooting. It looks like you can now film from across the room at f8, have the transmitter hard lined into an H2, and have it recorded in-camera in stereo with the ability to sync it at the same quality to 4 channel surround sound with out carrying any additional gear. Amazing.

For all the moaning and crying about the new hotshoe, it is starting to make a lot of sense.

Having worked with the old show on Sony Camcorders.. includes functionality like this..

I knew all the time

Add Video light control, Flash with Video light combos etc. The new shoe not only allows for ISO triggers (non-ttl) but lots of other ability .. It was a good move.. as much as I for flash prefer the old Minolta.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

 K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads