Adjusting Shutter on Df

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
benjaminblack
Regular MemberPosts: 479Gear list
Like?
Adjusting Shutter on Df
5 months ago

I've been in awe of the files coming off of the Df and I'm a little interested. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the shutter dial. It's on top correct? I LOVE the shutter and aperture dial setup on my D700 and D800. Incredibly easy (and quick) to adjust. But with the shutter dial on top of the Df I imagine it slowing me down. Which is the point of the Df right? To slow down. How have you adjusted to the change? Thanks!

benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,469Gear list
Like?
Re: Adjusting Shutter on Df
In reply to benjaminblack, 5 months ago

benjaminblack wrote:

I've been in awe of the files coming off of the Df and I'm a little interested. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the shutter dial. It's on top correct? I LOVE the shutter and aperture dial setup on my D700 and D800. Incredibly easy (and quick) to adjust. But with the shutter dial on top of the Df I imagine it slowing me down. Which is the point of the Df right? To slow down. How have you adjusted to the change? Thanks!

Don't know.  I shoot aperture priority.  I don't need a shutter dial.  When I shoot manual I'm using flash and setting shutter speed to the sync speed I want and it stays there all night

But if it matters you can control aperture and shutter on the Df with command dials just like all other Nikon cameras.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D800E Nikon D4 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,470Gear list
Like?

I shoot in A mode almost all of the time, but have shot in S and don't see any reason why it would slow you down.  You get used to the wheels very quickly.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Murray Bowles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,939
Like?
In reply to scokill, 5 months ago

It's pretty easy, but then I started out on cameras with shutter speed dials in the same place.

Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?

The top dials are just hipster window dressing and can be overridden with digital settings like all nikon fx cameras.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Apple Aperture +3 more
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?

going in, i wasn't sure how i'd adapt to the Df's top deck knobs. not coming from an SLR background, it wasn't a case of muscle memory or anything else -- it was kind of a new thing.

in my case, i always shoot in M, and reverse the control wheels, so my aperture is on the back control wheel. the front wheel is okay -- not as hinky as it might seem, but i found myself using the SS knob on top most of the time.

it only locks if you shift to the 1/3 stop setting; then you need to unlock. with auto ISO enabled, the full-stop interval between shutter speeds doesn't really mess with me too much -- and, of course, i can make changes without taking my eye off the viewfinder (seems to be everyone's hangup). if the interval isn't exactly right, i can just adjust aperture a third of a stop by the wheel and just keep going.

what they say about the Df's files SOOC is true. not only are they frequently spot-on right off the muscle, but the smaller file size makes any edits really quick in (my preferred editor) Capture NX2.

i'm still in love with my D800, but with a teeny lens like the 50/2 AI, the Df is a great hit-and-run camera. i'm having great fun with it.

ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,160Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rservello, 5 months ago

Rservello, don't start this kind of argument again. You are stereotyping individuals with your comment. You are again feeding anymosity. The shutter dial has nothing to do with hipsters. I use it all the time in M mode and believe me at 61 I am not a hipster.

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 2 Canon PowerShot G10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Olympus E-3 +14 more
tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,705
Like?
Re: Then please explain how to change EC/EV...

quickly. Yes, I have bookmarked a couple of threads to use ISO, changed from a command dial, to change exposure but not as straight forward as using the button and dials on my other Nikons.

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong
Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,763Gear list
Like?

benjaminblack wrote:

The shutter speed dial is on top and adjusts without using the lock button. The lock button actuates when you choose 1/3 step (command wheel usage) along with X and T settings. From B to 4000th sec, the shutter speed dial turns freely.

The dial settings are broad a copy of my old FE dial. You jump from 125 to 250 sec. for example. Indoors I will often set the camera to 1/3 step. This allows the Df to be used just other DSLRs and I can get 160 and 200 sec settings.

Outdoors I use the top dial all of the time and I find it easy and fun to use. As you say, the files are lovely and right out of camera.

Have fun,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
benjaminblack
Regular MemberPosts: 479Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugo First, 5 months ago

Hugo First wrote:

going in, i wasn't sure how i'd adapt to the Df's top deck knobs. not coming from an SLR background, it wasn't a case of muscle memory or anything else -- it was kind of a new thing.

in my case, i always shoot in M, and reverse the control wheels, so my aperture is on the back control wheel. the front wheel is okay -- not as hinky as it might seem, but i found myself using the SS knob on top most of the time.

it only locks if you shift to the 1/3 stop setting; then you need to unlock. with auto ISO enabled, the full-stop interval between shutter speeds doesn't really mess with me too much -- and, of course, i can make changes without taking my eye off the viewfinder (seems to be everyone's hangup). if the interval isn't exactly right, i can just adjust aperture a third of a stop by the wheel and just keep going.

what they say about the Df's files SOOC is true. not only are they frequently spot-on right off the muscle, but the smaller file size makes any edits really quick in (my preferred editor) Capture NX2.

i'm still in love with my D800, but with a teeny lens like the 50/2 AI, the Df is a great hit-and-run camera. i'm having great fun with it.

Ha! I always reverse my dials too. I thought I was the only one that does that

Thanks guys, I didn't know there was a dial on the front too. Since I only shoot in manual, the Df might actually be quicker for me, since the ISO knob is pretty slick. On the D800 you have to manage two buttons to adjust the ISO.

benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
ravduc
Like?

I did exactly the same, reversed the dials so that the apertures (G lenses) can be changed with the rear dial. I don't like the front sub-command dial on this camera. It's just too stiff and difficult to turn.  I think Nikon should have implemented this front dial like Fuji did with the X-T1. I have also been using Ai and non-ai lenses in both A and M modes with the S dial and aperture rings on the lenses. Works like an older film camera.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 2 Canon PowerShot G10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Olympus E-3 +14 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,403Gear list
Like?

benjaminblack wrote:

Just don't lose sleep about this. The shutter dial does have a lock, but it only engages at 1/3 step X or T, it can simply be adjusted freely the rest of the time. Since I first used a camera with a dedicated shutter speed dial I've much prefered it to a standard DSLR dial and button set up.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Rservello
Like?
In reply to ravduc, 5 months ago

ravduc wrote:

Rservello, don't start this kind of argument again. You are stereotyping individuals with your comment. You are again feeding anymosity. The shutter dial has nothing to do with hipsters. I use it all the time in M mode and believe me at 61 I am not a hipster.

You're mistaking me for someone else. The dials are there to look cool. can they serve a function, yes, but they aren't necessary.

btw, at 61 you are exactly what hipsters pretend to be. You just appreciate it because you ACTUALLY used real cameras instead of just reading about them and playing pretend.

-- hide signature --

* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Nikon D600 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Apple Aperture +3 more
ravduc
Like?

Rservello, by using the word 'again' I did not mean to suggest that you had started this kind of debate before. I just meant 'again' because so many have been started that way. You are right about the dials. This camera can be used without them, but I just enjoy using this kind of camera because of my background, having used many (and still using) mechanical slr's. Cheers.

Rservello
Like?
In reply to ravduc, 5 months ago

ravduc wrote:

Rservello, by using the word 'again' I did not mean to suggest that you had started this kind of debate before. I just meant 'again' because so many have been started that way. You are right about the dials. This camera can be used without them, but I just enjoy using this kind of camera because of my background, having used many (and still using) mechanical slr's. Cheers.

I agree completely. I've been looking at the new Fuji x-t1 because it has a really nice dial layout.   I thibk the df is a wonderful body I just wish they went all out.  Manual only, no LCD, full dail control on half stops. It's too much a modern body with legacy dressing. If it were half the price tho, I would def consider it.

-- hide signature --

ravduc
Like?

Maybe next time.

Felts
Regular MemberPosts: 289Gear list
Like?

Rservello wrote:

ravduc wrote:

You're mistaking me for someone else. The dials are there to look cool. can they serve a function, yes, but they aren't necessary.

They may not be 'necessary' to you, but for me I prefer the manual control and being able to see and adjust the settings even with the camera turned off...

That is pretty coolto me 

-- hide signature --
 Felts's gear list:Felts's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545Gear list
Like?
Re: Adjusting to shutter speed dial on top of FM3A

I have no Df, but when I added a Nikon FM3A film SLR to my gear, after previously using Nikon and Canon DSLRs, using the top dial to adjust shutter speed was instantly quite intuitive. At night, of course, changing settings settings is not as easy as with an illuminated display in the viewfinder.

Knowing that I can set-up a Df's controls to operate 1970s-1980s-style, or F6/D300/21st-Century style, seems a plus, to me. (I learned DSLR shooting with my wife's employer-issued D300s, and my personal "modern" Nikons are F6 and A cameras.) I would probably select one style or the other, of course, to make it become reflexive over time.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D Mark II N +24 more
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,318Gear list
Like?
1/3 stop setting disables the top dial

If you don't like the top dial, the 1/3 setting disables the shutter dial (and it locks there) so that you can use the back dial for setting the shutter.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
eric guzman
Contributing MemberPosts: 637
Like?

benjaminblack wrote:

Hugo First wrote:

Ha! I always reverse my dials too. I thought I was the only one that does that

Thanks guys, I didn't know there was a dial on the front too. Since I only shoot in manual, the Df might actually be quicker for me, since the ISO knob is pretty slick. On the D800 you have to manage two buttons to adjust the ISO.

+1 DF OOC image is fantastic, dials, not a problem, ISO dial very useful, also transposed my SS and Aperture dials since I shoot mostly A priority.......Auto ISO works fine too.....not a perfect camera (just wish the grip would've been a bit larger), but the image quality and light weight is worth every penny, I had to sell my D800 since I can't afford keeping both, great camera too, I miss its cropping capability, but not the extra weight and the extra work on PP.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads