What is a 'Pro' Photographer, really?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
fredphotog
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
Re: It's your job (incl weekend wedding photogs), PERIOD!
In reply to Zoofy, 10 months ago

What if someone is a 'paid pro' but doesn't need the money?
I know a few folks that inherited a fortune early on, they are 'pros' but don't need the money to put food on the table. I know 'pros' that do it simply for something to do.

fredphotog's gear list:fredphotog's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510
Like?
At least 10% of your income comes from photography
In reply to fredphotog, 10 months ago

fredphotog wrote:

We discuss it here, we see people say 'I am no Pro..', but these folks take darned good photos.

So what make a 'Pro' a 'Pro'?

It used to be if you made 50% or more of your income from a 'hobby' then you were considered a 'Pro'

So I say that if you have a day job, but you do photography on weekends and it's at least 10% of your total income, then it's more than just a hobby.

chkproductions
Contributing MemberPosts: 874
Like?
Re: At least 10% of your income comes from photography
In reply to sigala1, 10 months ago

sigala1 wrote:

fredphotog wrote:

We discuss it here, we see people say 'I am no Pro..', but these folks take darned good photos.

It used to be if you made 50% or more of your income from a 'hobby' then you were considered a 'Pro'

So I say that if you have a day job, but you do photography on weekends and it's at least 10% of your total income, then it's more than just a hobby.

I'm curious then - if someone works in-house for a corportate communications department working as a photographer, videographer, graphic artist, writer, etc. are they not pro's or are they pro's?

bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 7,008
Like?
Re: What is a 'Pro' Photographer, really?
In reply to Aberaeron, 10 months ago

yes I was trying hard not to notice that not because you did not use the word correctly but because of the heavy baggage in connotations it brings with it. seems you dont have a high opinion of pros

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

sigala1
Like?
In reply to chkproductions, 10 months ago

chkproductions wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

fredphotog wrote:

I'm curious then - if someone works in-house for a corportate communications department working as a photographer, videographer, graphic artist, writer, etc. are they not pro's or are they pro's?

If your day job is as a salaried photographer, than 100% of your income is from photography so you are certainly a professional photographer. Even if your job is working at a Sears photo booth.

AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,705Gear list
Like?
Re: If You are Paid Anything - You are a Pro
In reply to GeraldW, 10 months ago

GeraldW wrote:

Was Henri Cartier-Bresson a "pro"? Ansel Adams certainly was. Cartier-Bresson didn't do it for the money. ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Cartier-Bresson

Seems like he made a living from it, but I haven't tried to access his personal accounts 

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +4 more
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,705Gear list
Like?

fredphotog wrote:

WRONG.

I have no interest in 'degrading' anyone's 'title'.

Let me ask this:

If you were a 100% paid 'Pro' ANYTHING, if you retire or quit doing it, are you still considered a 'Pro'?

YES

If and when I need to refer to my status in this way I describe myself as either an 'ex-pro' or a 'retired pro'.

I consider my present status to be 'amateur'; however, very occasionally you come across things like competitions where anybody who ever worked for money as a photographer is excluded -- that would put me out of the frame.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +4 more
Super16mman
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?

fredphotog wrote:

It used to be if you made 50% or more of your income from a 'hobby' then you were considered a 'Pro'.

Some folks think if you are published then you are a 'Pro'.

I see people with $20,000 in equipment call themselves a 'Pro' but create crappy work.

So TODAY, what makes a 'Pro'?

To me, I think if you put thought into your exact equipment, you plan your shot(s), you take care in framing, exposure, color, background, and you spend time in PP coming up with a good photograph, then you are a 'Pro', after all, normal people just take a P-A-S and 'go click' without regard to anything about the camera or subject matter.

It used to be a 'Pro' had that title tied to money, but I see a lot of 'Pros' publish good work for little or no money, so that doesn't fit in the discussions we have here once in awhile.

I see a lot of folks premise a picture with 'I'm no Pro', but these folks are doing awesome work - some of it better than a lot of the 'Pros' I know that make a living at it.

Thoughts?

One of  my mentors recently defined a pro as someone who takes the next step in his craft, who draws a line in the sand and will no longer do work for less than he's worth. A pro in his mind is basically someone who not only knows their craft but also knows their worth and won't compromise. This is why "pros" tend to be more successful than amateurs or enthusiasts. They quit taking the crap jobs and work hard to get payed what they deserve.

donaldsc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,710
Like?
Re: If You are Paid Anything - You are a Pro
In reply to GeraldW, 10 months ago

GeraldW wrote:

In most sports, professional simply means you do it to earn money and are good enough to be in the upper reaches of the sport. In golf, it has a much more rigid definition. You become certified by the PGA as a touring or teaching professional. In photography, you can rent a store front, set up a studio, and hang out a sign saying John Doe, Professional Photographer.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

You may have to be sanctified  by the PGA to be a PGA touring or PGA teaching professional.  However, if you are paid anything by anyone for playing golf, you are a pro.  You probably are even a pro if you are a golf-shark who makes their living by playing golf with friends and who have side bets on the scores although this is probably a bit of a stretch.

-- hide signature --

Don

JP Scherrer
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,358Gear list
Like?
Someone who makes a living out of his pics ?!?

..... I don't !

J-P.

Photo Galeries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.360cities.net/profile/jps
Equipment list in profile

JP Scherrer's gear list:JP Scherrer's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +8 more
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 2,213Gear list
Like?

sigala1 wrote:

fredphotog wrote:

What if you own 100+ rental properties bringing in the best part of £1millionUK per year but spend 50% of your time taking commercial photos that bring in only £20,000 a year, which is only 2% of total annual income?

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +7 more
sigala1
Like?

Aberaeron wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

fredphotog wrote:

What if you own 100+ rental properties bringing in the best part of £1millionUK per year but spend 50% of your time taking commercial photos that bring in only £20,000 a year, which is only 2% of total annual income?

Then I say that you're a hobbyist.

Of course you are free to disagree... I just made up the 10% thing anyway.

hea
hea
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
If your main income comes from taking pictures, then you are a 'PRO"

it is not related to artistry capability

hea's gear list:hea's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 2,213Gear list
Like?

sigala1 wrote:

Aberaeron wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

fredphotog wrote:

Even when making 20k per annum from it?

I might just agree with you though, which is why I mentioned in an earlier post, the importance of context.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +7 more
sigala1
Like?

Aberaeron wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

Aberaeron wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

fredphotog wrote:

Even when making 20k per annum from it?

I might just agree with you though, which is why I mentioned in an earlier post, the importance of context.

If Bill Gates takes up photography, for him it's a hobby no matter how much money he makes from it.

pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,328Gear list
Like?
Simple Minds

This too simple for this many comments.

What is pro mechanic?

What is a pro football player?

What is a pro anything?

Simple answer: a person who makes their living from the activity in question. It has nothing to do with the quality of the product.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

enemjii
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to bruxi, 10 months ago

bruxi wrote:

The one who takes photos for money. No relation to quality of work.

I say this because even though I am not a lawyer, I have guided my own lawyers on how to proceed on my cases. They are the professionals, but I was simply better than them even when they were charging $500 or so an hour.

Do you cut your own hair?

Wish I could

But my brother does. Does that count?

enemjii's gear list:enemjii's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +6 more
Morris Sullivan
Senior MemberPosts: 5,306
Like?
Get certified (if available), otherwise earn money consistently.
In reply to Mark_A, 10 months ago

Mark_A wrote:

Laurentiu Todie wrote:

Paid or not, a pro delivers consistently good results.
It helps if the pro also has a distinguishable style, particularly good knowledge of the technology and history of the trade, but that isn't mandatory.

Hi Laurentiu,

For me, a pro is someone who derives a significant proportion of their income from photography.

Mark

I would say consistent, not "significant proportion". That would lead to a situation where a Dr. who makes 50k on the side shooting weddings was not a pro, and yet a fast food worker who makes 20k doing the same would be. Both would be as far as I'm concerned.

In my opinion professional photographers consistently make money from their work. But I have no extra level of respect for a professional photographers. It's just a job. It doesn't signify a level of quality. Some of them aren't very good.

If fields where there is actually a governing board (including photography in some areas) the title of professional, once earned, can imply a level of knowledge and ability. But absent that governing board, the term simply means "does whatever for money". Again I don't mean "did whatever for money once" I mean "does whatever for money".

btw, if someone wants to call themselves a professional photographer even if their not, I couldn't care less. It means nothing to me. Call yourself whatever you want. Your work speaks much louder than your title.

OceanFroggie
Regular MemberPosts: 395Gear list
Like?

A person whose primary income is earned from taking photographs.

Ie. is engaged in a "profession"

It has nothing to do with skill level, although one would assume most "pros" have good skills. Highly skilled and talented amateur/entusiasts are not pros.

OceanFroggie's gear list:OceanFroggie's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +1 more
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156Gear list
Like?
In reply to OceanFroggie, 10 months ago

OceanFroggie wrote:

A person whose primary income is earned from taking photographs.

Ie. is engaged in a "profession"

It has nothing to do with skill level, although one would assume most "pros" have good skills. Highly skilled and talented amateur/entusiasts are not pros.

And not all highly paid pros are skilled. **ahem, Terry Richardson**

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads