clearzoom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,304Gear list
Like?
why give up OVF with MirrorLess camera like Nex
8 months ago

My gears

Nex F3 with these 4 lens - sel1855, sel16mm28, sel50mm18, sel55210

CanonT3i - with 55-250mm, tamron 17-55mm F28

I do use and Love my Nex F3, but ONLY thing I miss in Nex is the OVF.

I even tried Nex6 with EVF, but wasnt happy with EVF, as it is electronic and cant be Optical view finder

so I use T3i when I miss OVF

I want to make sure am I the only one or others feel way using Mirror less?

Lot of folks seem to love Nex6, 7, A7, A7R and dont miss the OVF?

clearzoom's gear list:clearzoom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182Gear list
Like?
Re: why give up OVF with MirrorLess camera like Nex
In reply to clearzoom, 8 months ago

clearzoom wrote:

My gears

Nex F3 with these 4 lens - sel1855, sel16mm28, sel50mm18, sel55210

I even tried Nex6 with EVF, but wasnt happy with EVF, as it is electronic and cant be Optical view finder

What do you think you are missing when you use an EVF?  The refresh rate is so good these days you really don't have any lag.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eazizisaid
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?

Because it's a mirrorless camera : MIRRORLESS. There's no mirror, so technically you can't get an OVF since there's no mirror that will reflect what the lens see

eazizisaid's gear list:eazizisaid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +3 more
clearzoom
Like?
In reply to Chad Hardy, 8 months ago

Chad Hardy wrote:

What do you think you are missing when you use an EVF? The refresh rate is so good these days you really don't have any lag.

well. optical is sooo clear, even when EVF is best in Nex 7, it is still electronic though

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
clearzoom
Like?
In reply to eazizisaid, 8 months ago

eazizisaid wrote:

Because it's a mirrorless camera : MIRRORLESS. There's no mirror, so technically you can't get an OVF since there's no mirror that will reflect what the lens see

right, I knew that, but why do we spend $1000s and get mirror less camera without an OVF

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,972
Like?

clearzoom wrote:

eazizisaid wrote:

right, I knew that, but why do we spend $1000s and get mirror less camera without an OVF

Because Live View direct from the sensor is a better guide to what will be in the final photo.

Focussing may be slower (or in the A6000 may not be), but it is guaranteed accurate. That was never the case with reflex cameras.

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,484
Like?

clearzoom wrote:

eazizisaid wrote:

Not sure I understand the point of your question. Anyone buying a TTL-electronic viewing camera should be choosing it because they prefer it. There are plenty of cameras in the world with optical viewfinders, either TTL or separate. If you prefer that viewfinder type, just use one of them.

-- hide signature --
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,180
Like?
In reply to eazizisaid, 8 months ago

eazizisaid wrote:

Then how does the MIRRORLESS Fuji Xpro1 (with hybrid EVF/OVF) work?

notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?

eazizisaid wrote:

How does that OFV work for you when you shoot video?

But, yes, its a personal preference issue. There are advantages to both systems. What is right for you, may be wrong for someone else.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,493Gear list
Like?

My gears

Nex F3 with these 4 lens - sel1855, sel16mm28, sel50mm18, sel55210

I even tried Nex6 with EVF, but wasnt happy with EVF, as it is electronic and cant be Optical view finder

I entered the digital world late (winter 2003) but when I did, I welcomed many of the advances it promised, and EVF is one of those.

OVF was fine on my SLR before it, bigger. Being FF camera whereas digital brought about APSc as the mainstream option and in that case the OVF shrunk too.

So, for over ten years now, I have not cared for, or missed, OVF but have seen EVF technology steadily improve while bring in their benefits. Last night I was shooting at a studio using my NEX-6 (and E35) with couple of friends with their FF DSLRs using remote trigger. Now in that case I could not take advantage of EVF that I normally would since I had to turn settings effect off. But that was it. In the process, I had to evaluate my exposure settings just like they were, trial and error. So, nothing lost. I still had the benefit of focus magnify and focus peaking thru the EVF.

Under continuous lighting, I wouldn't need to resort to that trial and error mode either as setting effects would be on.

I also like having 100% coverage, overlays (always have all grid lines on), usually have histogram on EVf and Level indicator on LCD (wish Sony would combine those together or provide an option to).

Never mind that OVF will require a mirror to flip in (for focus, metering and for OVF) and flip out to capture image. And requires its own space to operate. And don't forget, on SLTs, a mirror is there but still EVF which allows the camera to meter and focus anytime the sensor is ready for it and AF perfomance is unchanged with LCD use which is a huge plus.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
In reply to neil holmes, 8 months ago

neil holmes wrote:

eazizisaid wrote:

The OVF on the Xpro1 is like that of a range finder. You are not actually seeing though the lens (TTL) when you use it. This introduces some parallax differential. The EVF on the other hand, gives you a TTL perspective.

Mirrorless cameras can give you an OVF. But, they will not give you an OVF with TTL viewing.

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
clearzoom
Like?

neil holmes wrote:

eazizisaid wrote:

I saw picture of MIRRORLESS Fuji Xpro1. the VF is all the way at the Top left side, not behind the lens, as in most of DSLRs, so it says Hybrid, it cant be Optical VF

SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?

neil holmes wrote:

eazizisaid wrote:

It uses a rangefinder-style OVF (ie not TTL), which are generally pretty poor in themselves, combined with the output from an EVF. Maybe it's a good compromise

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?

eazizisaid wrote:

2 lenses. 1 small fixed lens in the body, and a seperate, changeable lens for the sensor

NomadMark
Like?

clearzoom wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

eazizisaid wrote:

I saw picture of MIRRORLESS Fuji Xpro1. the VF is all the way at the Top left side, not behind the lens, as in most of DSLRs, so it says Hybrid, it cant be Optical VF

It's Hybrid because you can switch it from OVF to EVF. But, it does have a very real OVF. Just doesn't work like a DSLR, with mirror and all. More like rangefinders in that sense, which don't have mirrors either.

Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?

clearzoom wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

eazizisaid wrote:

It is not possible to have a OVF showing you a 'through the lens' (TTL) view without also having a mirror

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,180
Like?

clearzoom wrote:

My gears

Nex F3 with these 4 lens - sel1855, sel16mm28, sel50mm18, sel55210

I even tried Nex6 with EVF, but wasnt happy with EVF, as it is electronic and cant be Optical view finder

The A7 EVF is (to me) FAR better than any OVF I have used (and that is quite a few).

Is as big as some of the best and much bigger than many OVF's, and can simply do more....how many times do you think you could look directly at the sun with an OVF?

You can walk around with something like a 720nm infrared filter and still see where you are going (depending on lens).

When the light gets really dim (IE at a pub rock gig), if you turn the camera away from the stage with an OVF, you see mostly just black...with a A7 EVF you see plenty (maybe just a bit noisy but VERY useful).

Focus peaking and magnification in the viewfinder on an A7 is excellent....makes it easier to use manual focus in really low light than most cameras are to auto focus.

My m4/3 GX7 EVF is not as good as the A7's but still better than most (if not all) OVF's I have used (plus it tilts...how many OVF's can do that???).

Older or smaller EVF's have advantages too ...though it is closer.....I would probably take most pro level OVF's over the earlier EVF's most of the time.....but times have changed.

There are cameras with hybrid OVF and EVF like the Xpro1.....I think the viewfinder is what made that a LOT more expensive than it otherwise would have been with just an EVF.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,493Gear list
Like?

eazizisaid wrote:

We spend (not necessarily $1000) to get a camera that is less bulky, is highly adaptable, has no mirror, is more digital, and has EVF.

OVF came about in SLRs for TTL experience. You couldn't get ATBROF experience (As To Be Recorded On Film). With digital, you have access to TTS experience (Through The Sensor).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,830Gear list
Like?
Y-E-S: I do miss it dearly :(

clearzoom wrote:

Chad Hardy wrote:

What do you think you are missing when you use an EVF? The refresh rate is so good these days you really don't have any lag.

well. optical is sooo clear, even when EVF is best in Nex 7, it is still electronic though

after the immediacy of experience from a long stretch of TLRs, MF, various film EOS'es, and the several digitals, like 40d, 5d2, 7d... all giving that very rich view full of nuances = a sun drenched scene, and yet with lots of details in both highlights and shadows.

And even when a passing bird casts its silhouette across grass the OVF is still quick enough to render it - never experienced anything like this (or even any loosely-close approximation of it) in an EVF !!

jpr2

NomadMark
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 8 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

eazizisaid wrote:

We spend (not necessarily $1000) to get a camera that is less bulky, is highly adaptable, has no mirror, is more digital, and has EVF.

OVF came about in SLRs for TTL experience. You couldn't get ATBROF experience (As To Be Recorded On Film). With digital, you have access to TTS experience (Through The Sensor).

TTS. I like it!!

TTS > TTL

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads