How to Corrupt a Memory Card?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
LesGarten
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?
How to Corrupt a Memory Card?
10 months ago

I hace sometimes edited a Photo(jpg) and saved it back to the SD card.  Will moving things onto and off the card from the PC corrupt the card data?

-- hide signature --

>

AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,463
Like?
Re: How to Corrupt a Memory Card?
In reply to LesGarten, 10 months ago

LesGarten wrote:

I hace sometimes edited a Photo(jpg) and saved it back to the SD card. Will moving things onto and off the card from the PC corrupt the card data?

-- hide signature --

>

No, saving and deleting things from a memory card with the PC should not corrupt the data, but it isn't a great idea.  You should format the SD card in camera, and then use an external reader to get the photos off of the card and onto your computer.  That will retain maximum reliability and longevity of the card.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,054Gear list
Like?

LesGarten wrote:

I hace sometimes edited a Photo(jpg) and saved it back to the SD card. Will moving things onto and off the card from the PC corrupt the card data?

-- hide signature --

>

You corrupt a memory card by taking it to a bar.....

Why on earth are you doing this?  You probably won't corrupt the image but you WILL lose it sooner or later.  You will do an edit that you later discovered wasn't what you wanted.  You will over write an important image.

Your work flow should be something along the line of:

- take picture

- take card out of camera, put it in reader

- download card contents, LOOK at card contents, make sure that you got everything.

- put card in camera, do in camera format

- tag your pictures, copy them to your storage area, copy them to your backup area

- edit your pictures and SAVE IT UNDER A  DIFFERENT NAME to keep the original intact.  Even in you screw up at this stage, you still have the original image in your backup.

Always have at least two copies of your image, each on separate media, at all times.

Then you don't worry if your SD card turns out to be a drunken lout.

-- hide signature --

RG
I break things.
www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
LesGarten
Like?
In reply to rgolub, 10 months ago

rgolub wrote:

You corrupt a memory card by taking it to a bar.....

Why on earth are you doing this? You probably won't corrupt the image but you WILL lose it sooner or later. You will do an edit that you later discovered wasn't what you wanted. You will over write an important image.

Not my preference to do it that way, but...

I've rotated a PIC and hit save before, or cropped an image and saved it back to the card.

Mostly these are snaps that I may be sending to someone or posting to a forum for a tech question or something.  These are meant to be quick and dirty "snapshots", then attached to an email.  The biggest concern here is speed.  Therefore transferring to the PC requires more steps and deletes since some of these are rendered useless once they have been emailed or posted.  With the exception I may want to leave it on the card for a short period of time and delete later.

For instance, my wife needed a Document sent to here today.  I shot it and put the Card into a built in reader on my laptop, cropped, saved and emailed.  This save the step of transferring to the PC, cropping and deleting.

Not wanting workflow advice, I do real photos differently.  I just want to know if editing "Snapshots" and saving back to the card will kill the rest of the mages on the card.

I had a few cards go bad recently.  Cheap CF cards.  They got flaky enough I finally determined they should be tossed.  But before they were tossed I had been wondering if my editing was causing issues.

Real "Photographs" get pulled off the cards pretty quick to someplace with data redundancy.

-- hide signature --

>

mathi_vadhanan
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?

Saving pictures back to SD card will not corrupt it. But, playing it back on camera will.

Camera's small playback algorithm, is not good enough to handle exceptions like

1) folder structure changes - laptop OS might write hidden folders

2) file naming inconsistencies - caused by re-saving it again or hidden files from OS.

These unhandled exceptions, might cause the card to fail.

mathi_vadhanan's gear list:mathi_vadhanan's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?

LesGarten wrote:

-- hide signature --

>

The file will not be corrupt but your camera may not be able to use it if it is edited elsewhere and saved back to the card as the metadata will have changed and may not be readable by the camera.

If your question really is that you want to know how to corrupt an SD card let me know and I'll give you various ways, all a bit pointless though.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
mais51
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?

LesGarten wrote:

-- hide signature --

>

If you use your camera to do quick editing then it is OK, the camera always saves a copy and keep the original, but if you do it on a PC then you should save it on your PC, instead of hitting SAVE your always hit SAVE AS - that way you have a copy of the saved image on an alternative location and retain the original unaltered image on your SD/CF card.

My experiences is that the Card mostly corrupted because of bad card reader handling - removing and inserting card to a card reader inappropriately causing lost of data while the card is still reading or writing. Also it is false economy using cheap cards and especially cheap card reader.  It will invariably happens and when it does it would be your once in a life time shot !

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +6 more
LesGarten
Like?
In reply to mais51, 10 months ago

Another reason I was wondering is that I used to delete images from the card whileon the PC.

The reason I pose these scenarios is that I had some cards end up failing.  I try not to do any write operations or delete operations off the Camera.  I've got gunshy and have always wondered what could and could/should not be done.

For instance, if I copy off images from the Camera and want to delete some from the card, I will put the card in the Camera and delete the images with the Camera which is kinda a pain.

No offence but it sounds like a lot of conjecture and guessing here.

-- hide signature --

>

BassFisher
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?

The card is just a storage device like USB stick or SSD Write to and from it as often as you like. Can the camera read the file, sometimes. Will it corrupt it, unlikely.

I sometimes edit a NEF in CSNX2 and the camera can see it BUT change the name and the camera will not.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for use cheap cards and they will fail. It’s a folly to invest in Cheap SD or CF cards as even the best from Sandisk, or Lexar are cheap today.

-- hide signature --

BillD
Sydney, Australia
Time is the only thing I don't have enough of.

BassFisher's gear list:BassFisher's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
In reply to BassFisher, 10 months ago

Go with Sandisk Extreme cards, or top Lexar maybe. I usually only buy Sandisk Extreme.

As far as backing up images at the end of the day, try using small external hard drives at least, instead of backing up to a memory card. Card should be only for temporary transfer between computers maybe. But I would rather use a external drive or a USB stick maybe, now using a memory stick with USB3 from Lexar, but only for transfer of files. I always keep originals on at least 2 larger drives copied to both, before formatting the cards.

For some jobs, I will also back up back to data DVD as well. My work flow.

I keep in mind, that memory cards, especially SD cards, are for temporary use, or original capture. And regular formatting after heavy use, is always a good idea to keep cards working better, so files write better with less chance of error. Buying cheap cards can be a risk.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-M1 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads