Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Marco1971
Regular MemberPosts: 196
Like?
Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
5 months ago

What's the minimum shutterspeed for the 23mm Fuji prime to take pictures without blur ? (handheld).

Today i tried this lens on a X-E1 but with a shutterspeed of 1/60 with 1,4 apterture at iso200 but it was not possible to take a picture without blur (indoor shooting handheld).

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike Guffin
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, 5 months ago

1/60 should do it... I shoot 1/60 handheld with the 35 1.4... Maybe your subject moved, or you missed focus slightly...

Mike Guffin's gear list:Mike Guffin's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco1971
Like?

Marco1971 wrote:

What's the minimum shutterspeed for the 23mm Fuji prime to take pictures without blur ? (handheld).

Today i tried this lens on a X-E1 but with a shutterspeed of 1/60 with 1,4 apterture at iso200 but it was not possible to take a picture without blur (indoor shooting handheld).

Zoomer52
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?

The answer to your question depends on YOU!

Only you can determine your steadiness with various lenses and even then it would vary depending on how tired you are, how much coffee you've had, etc.

When in doubt, I always reach for a tripod.  (Or up the ISO.)

I've got a friend who's never drank coffee and (not sure that's the reason or not) he can hand-hold a lens at a slower shutter speed than anyone I've ever met.  Three, sometimes four, stops lower than I can.

Learn your limits and don't be afraid of your tripod.

Zoomer52's gear list:Zoomer52's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +17 more
Marco1971
Like?
In reply to Zoomer52, 5 months ago

Zoomer52 wrote:

Only you can determine your steadiness with various lenses and even then it would vary depending on how tired you are, how much coffee you've had, etc.

When in doubt, I always reach for a tripod. (Or up the ISO.)

I've got a friend who's never drank coffee and (not sure that's the reason or not) he can hand-hold a lens at a slower shutter speed than anyone I've ever met. Three, sometimes four, stops lower than I can.

My post was related to the RAW file. The JPEG is tack sharp.

But i still don't understand why there is so much difference in sharpness....

Marco1971
Like?
In reply to Zoomer52, 5 months ago

Zoomer52 wrote:

When in doubt, I always reach for a tripod. (Or up the ISO.)

I've got a friend who's never drank coffee and (not sure that's the reason or not) he can hand-hold a lens at a slower shutter speed than anyone I've ever met. Three, sometimes four, stops lower than I can.

I attached the JPEG. Seems ok to me

DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,118Gear list
Like?

I keep my min shutter at 1/125. But that's because I mainly take photos with people in them.

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Marco1971
Like?

This jpeg was shot at 1/6 2.8 iso 200 --> impossible avoiding blur...

flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,858Gear list
Like?
RAW/JPG softness, nothing to do with Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens

Marco1971 wrote:

My post was related to the RAW file. The JPEG is tack sharp.

But i still don't understand why there is so much difference in sharpness....

RAW files are not sharpened by the camera. You need to do this in post processing using your preferred software. JPG's are sharpened by the camera depending on what jpg style you select.

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,493Gear list
Like?

Marco1971 wrote:

Blur is a lot more noticeable on a 16MP camera than it would be on most 35mm film, especially since noone ever looked at 100% screen files (30" prints).

The 1/FL rule is totally inadequate for most people. For one thing APSC means the FL is effectively 1.5X greater, and secondly the rule was invented for 12" prints.

My baseline (minimum) is 1/2FL, which still takes a fair amount of good technique, but this does not necessarily translate equally to all focal lengths. Light cameras tend to be harder to control as well (less intertia) and still may not be critically sharp at 100%.

Generally I use 1/50 as a minimum for the 14, 1/100 as a minimum for the 23 and 35, and 1/200 for everything else, simply because it seems to work. But I still have to be VERY careful when hand-holding. However the Fuji is usable enough up to ISO1600 for this not to be a problem.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Andy Dan
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?

Depends how steady are your hands and how you hold the camera...Considering the crop factor and the 23mm lens (35mm ff equiv)...1/35 is enough with a dlsr (slr style). With a rangefinder (if you don't have the lateral grip and your hands are not so steady) 1/80 is the best bet imo.

Andy Dan's gear list:Andy Dan's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,316Gear list
Like?

Very interesting, I nearly started a thread on this.

I think minimum shutter speed is one of the disadvantages of smaller formats; before Fuji enabled min speed in Auto ISO, it used to default to 1/F where the F is full-frame equivalent - so with the 35mm, it would go to 1/52.

Now, I don't have fun with that 1/F. In my experience, it works a lot better with 1/(full frame F + APS-C F), which would make the 35 require 1/(35 + 50) = 1/85; in practice, 1/100 (and I notice that Bert Stephani uses this too).

For the 23, 1/(23 + 35) = 1/58, so I use 1/60 as a minimum and that's fine - as your JPG shows. The real mystery you have is why the default output from RAW is not sharp - what are you using to post-process?

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
bluesman2070
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?

I've not had the 23mm for long but I think 57LowRider is close to the mark with his formula. This was taken at 1/58s @ f3.2.

bluesman2070's gear list:bluesman2070's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM +3 more
Marco1971
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 5 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

I think minimum shutter speed is one of the disadvantages of smaller formats; before Fuji enabled min speed in Auto ISO, it used to default to 1/F where the F is full-frame equivalent - so with the 35mm, it would go to 1/52.

Now, I don't have fun with that 1/F. In my experience, it works a lot better with 1/(full frame F + APS-C F), which would make the 35 require 1/(35 + 50) = 1/85; in practice, 1/100 (and I notice that Bert Stephani uses this too).

For the 23, 1/(23 + 35) = 1/58, so I use 1/60 as a minimum and that's fine - as your JPG shows. The real mystery you have is why the default output from RAW is not sharp - what are you using to post-process?

LR5

Peter Flor
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?

I find Focal Length + 20 works well for me.  So for a 23mm APS-C that would be 35 + 20 = 55  or 1/60 (rounded off).

Peter Flor's gear list:Peter Flor's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1
57LowRider
Like?

Marco1971 wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

LR5

Do you use the defaults on import? (Sharpening amount 25, Radius 1.0)

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Marco1971
Like?

57LowRider wrote:

Marco1971 wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

LR5

Yes

57LowRider
Like?

Marco1971 wrote:

LR5

Yes

Could you show us the Samsung camera shot exported at LR5 defaults? Just want to look at the sharpness compared to the earlier JPG (which was OOC?).

Marco1971
Like?
In reply to bluesman2070, 5 months ago

bluesman2070 wrote:

I've not had the 23mm for long but I think 57LowRider is close to the mark with his formula. This was taken at 1/58s @ f3.2.

You didn't like the 23mm ??

Marco1971
Like?

Here it is.

57LowRider wrote:

Marco1971 wrote:

LR5

Yes

Could you show us the Samsung camera shot exported at LR5 defaults? Just want to look at the sharpness compared to the earlier JPG (which was OOC?).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads