Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens

Started Feb 20, 2014 | Discussions
Marco1971
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
Feb 20, 2014

What's the minimum shutterspeed for the 23mm Fuji prime to take pictures without blur ? (handheld).

Today i tried this lens on a X-E1 but with a shutterspeed of 1/60 with 1,4 apterture at iso200 but it was not possible to take a picture without blur (indoor shooting handheld).

 Marco1971's gear list:Marco1971's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike Guffin
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

1/60 should do it... I shoot 1/60 handheld with the 35 1.4... Maybe your subject moved, or you missed focus slightly...

 Mike Guffin's gear list:Mike Guffin's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco1971
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

Marco1971 wrote:

What's the minimum shutterspeed for the 23mm Fuji prime to take pictures without blur ? (handheld).

Today i tried this lens on a X-E1 but with a shutterspeed of 1/60 with 1,4 apterture at iso200 but it was not possible to take a picture without blur (indoor shooting handheld).

 Marco1971's gear list:Marco1971's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zoomer52
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

The answer to your question depends on YOU!

Only you can determine your steadiness with various lenses and even then it would vary depending on how tired you are, how much coffee you've had, etc.

When in doubt, I always reach for a tripod.  (Or up the ISO.)

I've got a friend who's never drank coffee and (not sure that's the reason or not) he can hand-hold a lens at a slower shutter speed than anyone I've ever met.  Three, sometimes four, stops lower than I can.

Learn your limits and don't be afraid of your tripod.

 Zoomer52's gear list:Zoomer52's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco1971
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Zoomer52, Feb 20, 2014

Zoomer52 wrote:

The answer to your question depends on YOU!

Only you can determine your steadiness with various lenses and even then it would vary depending on how tired you are, how much coffee you've had, etc.

When in doubt, I always reach for a tripod. (Or up the ISO.)

I've got a friend who's never drank coffee and (not sure that's the reason or not) he can hand-hold a lens at a slower shutter speed than anyone I've ever met. Three, sometimes four, stops lower than I can.

Learn your limits and don't be afraid of your tripod.

My post was related to the RAW file. The JPEG is tack sharp.

But i still don't understand why there is so much difference in sharpness....

 Marco1971's gear list:Marco1971's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco1971
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Zoomer52, Feb 20, 2014

Zoomer52 wrote:

The answer to your question depends on YOU!

Only you can determine your steadiness with various lenses and even then it would vary depending on how tired you are, how much coffee you've had, etc.

When in doubt, I always reach for a tripod. (Or up the ISO.)

I've got a friend who's never drank coffee and (not sure that's the reason or not) he can hand-hold a lens at a slower shutter speed than anyone I've ever met. Three, sometimes four, stops lower than I can.

Learn your limits and don't be afraid of your tripod.

I attached the JPEG. Seems ok to me

 Marco1971's gear list:Marco1971's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,127Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

What's the minimum shutterspeed for the 23mm Fuji prime to take pictures without blur ? (handheld).

Today i tried this lens on a X-E1 but with a shutterspeed of 1/60 with 1,4 apterture at iso200 but it was not possible to take a picture without blur (indoor shooting handheld).

I keep my min shutter at 1/125. But that's because I mainly take photos with people in them.

 DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco1971
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

This jpeg was shot at 1/6 2.8 iso 200 --> impossible avoiding blur...

 Marco1971's gear list:Marco1971's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,205Gear list
Like?
RAW/JPG softness, nothing to do with Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

Marco1971 wrote:

My post was related to the RAW file. The JPEG is tack sharp.

But i still don't understand why there is so much difference in sharpness....

RAW files are not sharpened by the camera. You need to do this in post processing using your preferred software. JPG's are sharpened by the camera depending on what jpg style you select.

 flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony Alpha 7 II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 6,682
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

Marco1971 wrote:

What's the minimum shutterspeed for the 23mm Fuji prime to take pictures without blur ? (handheld).

Today i tried this lens on a X-E1 but with a shutterspeed of 1/60 with 1,4 apterture at iso200 but it was not possible to take a picture without blur (indoor shooting handheld).

Blur is a lot more noticeable on a 16MP camera than it would be on most 35mm film, especially since noone ever looked at 100% screen files (30" prints).

The 1/FL rule is totally inadequate for most people. For one thing APSC means the FL is effectively 1.5X greater, and secondly the rule was invented for 12" prints.

My baseline (minimum) is 1/2FL, which still takes a fair amount of good technique, but this does not necessarily translate equally to all focal lengths. Light cameras tend to be harder to control as well (less intertia) and still may not be critically sharp at 100%.

Generally I use 1/50 as a minimum for the 14, 1/100 as a minimum for the 23 and 35, and 1/200 for everything else, simply because it seems to work. But I still have to be VERY careful when hand-holding. However the Fuji is usable enough up to ISO1600 for this not to be a problem.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Andy Dan
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

Depends how steady are your hands and how you hold the camera...Considering the crop factor and the 23mm lens (35mm ff equiv)...1/35 is enough with a dlsr (slr style). With a rangefinder (if you don't have the lateral grip and your hands are not so steady) 1/80 is the best bet imo.

 Andy Dan's gear list:Andy Dan's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,870Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

Very interesting, I nearly started a thread on this.

I think minimum shutter speed is one of the disadvantages of smaller formats; before Fuji enabled min speed in Auto ISO, it used to default to 1/F where the F is full-frame equivalent - so with the 35mm, it would go to 1/52.

Now, I don't have fun with that 1/F. In my experience, it works a lot better with 1/(full frame F + APS-C F), which would make the 35 require 1/(35 + 50) = 1/85; in practice, 1/100 (and I notice that Bert Stephani uses this too).

For the 23, 1/(23 + 35) = 1/58, so I use 1/60 as a minimum and that's fine - as your JPG shows. The real mystery you have is why the default output from RAW is not sharp - what are you using to post-process?

 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bluesman2070
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

I've not had the 23mm for long but I think 57LowRider is close to the mark with his formula. This was taken at 1/58s @ f3.2.

 bluesman2070's gear list:bluesman2070's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco1971
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to 57LowRider, Feb 20, 2014

57LowRider wrote:

Very interesting, I nearly started a thread on this.

I think minimum shutter speed is one of the disadvantages of smaller formats; before Fuji enabled min speed in Auto ISO, it used to default to 1/F where the F is full-frame equivalent - so with the 35mm, it would go to 1/52.

Now, I don't have fun with that 1/F. In my experience, it works a lot better with 1/(full frame F + APS-C F), which would make the 35 require 1/(35 + 50) = 1/85; in practice, 1/100 (and I notice that Bert Stephani uses this too).

For the 23, 1/(23 + 35) = 1/58, so I use 1/60 as a minimum and that's fine - as your JPG shows. The real mystery you have is why the default output from RAW is not sharp - what are you using to post-process?

LR5

 Marco1971's gear list:Marco1971's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter Flor
Contributing MemberPosts: 623Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

I find Focal Length + 20 works well for me.  So for a 23mm APS-C that would be 35 + 20 = 55  or 1/60 (rounded off).

 Peter Flor's gear list:Peter Flor's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,870Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

Marco1971 wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

Very interesting, I nearly started a thread on this.

I think minimum shutter speed is one of the disadvantages of smaller formats; before Fuji enabled min speed in Auto ISO, it used to default to 1/F where the F is full-frame equivalent - so with the 35mm, it would go to 1/52.

Now, I don't have fun with that 1/F. In my experience, it works a lot better with 1/(full frame F + APS-C F), which would make the 35 require 1/(35 + 50) = 1/85; in practice, 1/100 (and I notice that Bert Stephani uses this too).

For the 23, 1/(23 + 35) = 1/58, so I use 1/60 as a minimum and that's fine - as your JPG shows. The real mystery you have is why the default output from RAW is not sharp - what are you using to post-process?

LR5

Do you use the defaults on import? (Sharpening amount 25, Radius 1.0)

 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco1971
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to 57LowRider, Feb 20, 2014

57LowRider wrote:

Marco1971 wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

Very interesting, I nearly started a thread on this.

I think minimum shutter speed is one of the disadvantages of smaller formats; before Fuji enabled min speed in Auto ISO, it used to default to 1/F where the F is full-frame equivalent - so with the 35mm, it would go to 1/52.

Now, I don't have fun with that 1/F. In my experience, it works a lot better with 1/(full frame F + APS-C F), which would make the 35 require 1/(35 + 50) = 1/85; in practice, 1/100 (and I notice that Bert Stephani uses this too).

For the 23, 1/(23 + 35) = 1/58, so I use 1/60 as a minimum and that's fine - as your JPG shows. The real mystery you have is why the default output from RAW is not sharp - what are you using to post-process?

LR5

Do you use the defaults on import? (Sharpening amount 25, Radius 1.0)

Yes

 Marco1971's gear list:Marco1971's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,870Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to Marco1971, Feb 20, 2014

Marco1971 wrote:

For the 23, 1/(23 + 35) = 1/58, so I use 1/60 as a minimum and that's fine - as your JPG shows. The real mystery you have is why the default output from RAW is not sharp - what are you using to post-process?

LR5

Do you use the defaults on import? (Sharpening amount 25, Radius 1.0)

Yes

Could you show us the Samsung camera shot exported at LR5 defaults? Just want to look at the sharpness compared to the earlier JPG (which was OOC?).

 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco1971
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to bluesman2070, Feb 20, 2014

bluesman2070 wrote:

I've not had the 23mm for long but I think 57LowRider is close to the mark with his formula. This was taken at 1/58s @ f3.2.

You didn't like the 23mm ??

 Marco1971's gear list:Marco1971's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco1971
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum shutterspeed Fuji 23mm lens
In reply to 57LowRider, Feb 20, 2014

Here it is.

57LowRider wrote:

Marco1971 wrote:

For the 23, 1/(23 + 35) = 1/58, so I use 1/60 as a minimum and that's fine - as your JPG shows. The real mystery you have is why the default output from RAW is not sharp - what are you using to post-process?

LR5

Do you use the defaults on import? (Sharpening amount 25, Radius 1.0)

Yes

Could you show us the Samsung camera shot exported at LR5 defaults? Just want to look at the sharpness compared to the earlier JPG (which was OOC?).

 Marco1971's gear list:Marco1971's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads