Conspiracy theorists unite

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
John_A_G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,222
Like?
Conspiracy theorists unite
5 months ago

A number of people in Pentax land have taken issue with my bashing the conspiracy theorists. It should warm your heart to know that you are not alone. The conspiracy is actually bigger than you think.  You now have company in Canon land.  It is confirmed that DPR not only conspires against Pentax, but also against Canon too.  The DPR conspiracy against specific manufacturers must be stopped.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53012682

John_A_G
Like?
darn - one more
In reply to John_A_G, 5 months ago

Good news! Proof of the conspiracy continues:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52955874

We now know DPR is biased against Pentax, Canon AND Sony.

We probably need to launch a campaign to prevent this from spreading to Nikon, Oly, Panasonic before it's too late.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sleepwalker400
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
Re: darn - one more

PLZ

sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax K10D Pentax K-30
John_A_G
Like?
In reply to sleepwalker400, 5 months ago

sleepwalker400 wrote:

PLZ

You do not believe DPR is biased?

Cigarguy
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?

As a frequent visitor to Olympus and Samsung talk, some there feel the same too.  Looks like DPR have conspired against all.  Maybe the have the Syrian government syndrome?

FrancW
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Re: Conspiracy theorists unite

who cares, as long that the forum is okay

-- hide signature --
 FrancW's gear list:FrancW's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3
Eli Allan
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?

Conspiracy is the wrong word. I think people are rightfully upset, not because of brand bias but DPR seemingly being less interested in serious cameras.  They're putting more and more effort into covering every entry level, point and shoot, camera phone, go pro release, and getting slower and slower with the high end of the market.  Are there really people who come here on a regular basis and get exited about the latest entry level camera?

There are also factors out of their hands, like Sony's barrage of camera releases. The market has sped up considerably and that requires DPR to make choices about what they focus on. They could hire more reviewers but that is also likely to be a mistake as everyone predicts the camera market to slow back down in the near term.

That aside I think its ridiculous to berate people for being upset about being ignored.  Clearly those people are already upset. Let them vent and go on about your business instead of riling them up further. Its not as if DPR really needs anyone here to defend them. They know they can't please everyone all the time, so I've no doubt they take the criticism in stride knowing they're just as likely to be praised tomorrow as reviled today.

moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,760Gear list
Like?
It's a visit-capture strategy, and entry-level (volume) brings visits
In reply to Eli Allan, 5 months ago

Eli Allan wrote:

Conspiracy is the wrong word. I think people are rightfully upset, not because of brand bias but DPR seemingly being less interested in serious cameras. They're putting more and more effort into covering every entry level, point and shoot, camera phone, go pro release, and getting slower and slower with the high end of the market. Are there really people who come here on a regular basis and get exited about the latest entry level camera?

Yes - or to be more accurate, a lot of folks looking for 'reviews' of such cameras wind up here via a web search - if such review exists.

There are many, many people buying the entry-level Canons and Nikons, and so there are many potential draws to the site as a result of these people searching for reviews. Dpreview has to be mindful of that, and providing those reviews right away just makes good business sense for an entity that derives income from clicks and visits.

No mystery, certainly no conspiracy.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Gary Martin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,017Gear list
Like?

No conspiracy, just editorial bias.

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
sgtsween
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?

I'm 98% sure that the Lindbergh baby grew up, became a photography enthusiast, and is running DPR from deep inside the wreckage of a UFO at Area 51. He's also sitting on a completed Full Frame Pentax model that utilizes technology from the future that is capable of taking 75 mp shots in RAW+, with the + being a finished jpeg of what's simultaneously happening in an alternate universe (the fabled "wormhole" sensor.") He refuses to allow its release due to his obvious disdain for the brand. I'm 98% sure that I'm 103% correct on this one. Late night fake Caribbean TV psychic Cleo emailed me with the deets.

sgtsween's gear list:sgtsween's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +12 more
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,760Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary Martin, 5 months ago

Gary Martin wrote:

No conspiracy, just editorial bias.

You could actually say this ^^ is true, but what do you think is behind the bias?  Is it, "we don't like Pentax that much," or is it "we have to keep an eye on sales volumes and prioritize accordingly for our business model to work."  I think a lot of folks mistakenly think it's some version of the former.

I think the D4 review had a very long delay - not because the editorial staff didn't like it, but because other bodies that were going to see higher sales volumes (and generate review web searches) were out at the same time.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,303Gear list
Like?
Capitalism at its best ......
In reply to moving_comfort, 5 months ago

moving_comfort wrote:

Eli Allan wrote:

Conspiracy is the wrong word. I think people are rightfully upset, not because of brand bias but DPR seemingly being less interested in serious cameras. They're putting more and more effort into covering every entry level, point and shoot, camera phone, go pro release, and getting slower and slower with the high end of the market. Are there really people who come here on a regular basis and get exited about the latest entry level camera?

Yes - or to be more accurate, a lot of folks looking for 'reviews' of such cameras wind up here via a web search - if such review exists.

There are many, many people buying the entry-level Canons and Nikons, and so there are many potential draws to the site as a result of these people searching for reviews. Dpreview has to be mindful of that, and providing those reviews right away just makes good business sense for an entity that derives income from clicks and visits.

No mystery, certainly no conspiracy.

Absolutely not - just the good old capitalist system at work. What was probably THE best camera/photography site IN THE WHOLE WORLD is gobbled up by the big corporation and changed - away from the (relatively) informative, cutting-edge review site (of cameras) it was, towards a sophisticated marketing tool. Personally I couldn't give a tinker's about DPReview's reviews. I stopped having much faith in them a LONG time ago. I simply drop in here to see if there's anything of interest being discussed and that's about it. Get out of the site what you can and ignore the crappola.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Anastigmat
Forum ProPosts: 12,579
Like?

John_A_G wrote:

A number of people in Pentax land have taken issue with my bashing the conspiracy theorists. It should warm your heart to know that you are not alone. The conspiracy is actually bigger than you think. You now have company in Canon land. It is confirmed that DPR not only conspires against Pentax, but also against Canon too. The DPR conspiracy against specific manufacturers must be stopped.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53012682

Unfortunately, conspiracy is not just a theory. It is reality. Men getting together to plot evil things is all too common in rea life.

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,577Gear list
Like?
In reply to sgtsween, 5 months ago

sgtsween wrote:

I'm 98% sure that the Lindbergh baby grew up, became a photography enthusiast, and is running DPR from deep inside the wreckage of a UFO at Area 51. He's also sitting on a completed Full Frame Pentax model that utilizes technology from the future that is capable of taking 75 mp shots in RAW+, with the + being a finished jpeg of what's simultaneously happening in an alternate universe

I KNEW IT!  Everyone, get in the bunker.  Bring the camera, no the one that says Pentax on the front.  I just read it on the internet. 

(the fabled "wormhole" sensor.") He refuses to allow its release due to his obvious disdain for the brand. I'm 98% sure that I'm 103% correct on this one. Late night fake Caribbean TV psychic Cleo emailed me with the deets.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
AJSAUco
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, 5 months ago

You need to grow up.

They do what makes them money. Quite normal. This site is not a charity for Pentax and others. Don't like it? Go.

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,577Gear list
Like?
In reply to AJSAUco, 5 months ago

AJSAUco wrote:

You need to grow up.

They do what makes them money. Quite normal. This site is not a charity for Pentax and others. Don't like it? Go.

Satire much?

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Gary Martin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,017Gear list
Like?
Agreed (n/t)
In reply to moving_comfort, 5 months ago
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
McSpin
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?
Re: Capitalism at its best ......
In reply to emem, 5 months ago

emem wrote:

Absolutely not - just the good old capitalist system at work. What was probably THE best camera/photography site IN THE WHOLE WORLD is gobbled up by the big corporation and changed - away from the (relatively) informative, cutting-edge review site (of cameras) it was, towards a sophisticated marketing tool. Personally I couldn't give a tinker's about DPReview's reviews. I stopped having much faith in them a LONG time ago. I simply drop in here to see if there's anything of interest being discussed and that's about it. Get out of the site what you can and ignore the crappola.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Ding...Ding,  we have a winner!

JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832Gear list
Like?

John_A_G wrote:

sleepwalker400 wrote:

PLZ

You do not believe DPR is biased?

Perhaps not. Perhaps it just NEEDS TO TAKE THE WORD "REVIEW" OUT OF IT'S NAME!!!

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Couscousdelight
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?
In reply to JeffAHayes, 5 months ago

Funny,

Go to DPR home page.

Press CTRL+F (or command+F on OSX) to find words on the page and type "Pentax".

It's not even spell once the the DPR home page...

Like Gary Martin says, there is no conspiracy, but a editor bias.

Regards,

Arno

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads