From Canon to Nikon

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
HarveyMiami
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
From Canon to Nikon
10 months ago

Have you gone from using Canon(7D or) to Nikon D600 or D800.

What are your feeling about sharpness?  Do you still use unsharp mask?

Or is it not necessary?

On camera flash, is it more accurate?

Any other thoughts.  I am thinking of going from the 7D to the D600 or D800

Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,049
Like?
Re: From Canon to Nikon
In reply to HarveyMiami, 10 months ago

HarveyMiami wrote:

What are your feeling about sharpness? Do you still use unsharp mask?

Or is it not necessary?

Any other thoughts. I am thinking of going from the 7D to the D600 or D800

I don't have 7D or D600 but D800E, 1DS2, 1DS3 and 1D2, since I shoot raw only so I do need to apply sharpening in PP, as for on-board flash, to me it's just as useless as any camera with built in flash, I taped mine so it doesn't pop up, (pop up flash has been a pain for me on all cameras I had before),  I have multiple Canon EX and Nikon SB- external flash if I need to use flash, other thought about the move, first thing come to mind is you gain huge in terms of DR and shadow performance, you are comparing a so-so 18MP crop sensor with crappy DR to a 36MP FF sensor with much much improved DR, and you will have 36MP of great pixel to play with, you do lose a lot of speed though, D800 is a slow camera compare to your 7D. I used my D800E for landscape shooting exclusively, for sport, I rather go back to my 10 year old 1D2 for its focusing system and over speed and responsiveness, and for event or portrait, I prefer my 1DS2 and 1DS3. That's not to say you can't shoot landscape with a 7D or shoot sports with a D800E, it's just not the strong point of that particular camera and there is better tools for that particular job.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HarveyMiami
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Dan_168, 10 months ago

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your insight.

I did not make myself clear.  By oncamera flash, I was not referring to the little popup but  the SB900.  I shoot many events and don't have the option of going back to the 1D or ... I also do group photos of 50- 400 people and would like the higher resolution of Nikon.

If I went full frame Canon, I would have to buy new glass as most of mine is for APC.  This makes changing brand a reasonable alternative.

Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,049
Like?

HarveyMiami wrote:

Hi Dan,

I did not make myself clear. By oncamera flash, I was not referring to the little popup but the SB900. I shoot many events and don't have the option of going back to the 1D or ... I also do group photos of 50- 400 people and would like the higher resolution of Nikon.

If I went full frame Canon, I would have to buy new glass as most of mine is for APC. This makes changing brand a reasonable alternative.

I see, from my personal experiance, Nikon flash system is much easier to use and I got a lot better, more consistency performance out of the Nikon I have than the Canon I have, that's up to the D3+ SB800 vs 1DS3 + 580 EX time frame, I have never use my D800 for flash photo as that is my landscape only camera so no comment on that, but I don't think that will be any different from any high end Nikon in terms of flash system, however, I heard from other users saying the new Canon 600EX kind of closed the gap, I have friends using it on their 1D-X and 5D3 and they seemed to pretty happy with it, but I have no personal experience on that model, I found my old D3+ SB800 really easy to use and the result is very consistent and reliable.

since you mentioned high resolution, so I assumed you are aiming at the D800 not the D4, If you are going after the resolution, the D800 is hard to beat at the moment, but for events, as I said before, I personally much more prefer my Canon 1Ds3, or even a 5D3, to me the 5D3 is a more versatile camera than the D800, it's got a great AF system, the speed, the typical Canon skin tone (which I prefer over the Nikon), and I like the new 24-70L II and 70-200 F2.8 IS II better than the Nikon counterpart which I also own (or owned at one point), those were all my main event lenes...... lots to offer from Canon system in this area, but that's just my personal opinion, plenty of pros using both for all different kinds of paid jobs so they are definitely all capable of doing all those, so it 's all down to the individual's personal preference rather than the camera performance.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Images from a D800E need no sharpening at default sharpening in Standard picture control. Images from D600 rarely need sharpening. D600 images are fabulous. Right now a 50mm 1.4G is priced in the neighborhood of $375 after instant rebate (1.8G is $200). Put either on your D600. Take a close photo of your dog at f2.8 (front of dog). You will be impressed.

-- hide signature --

Roy

amobi
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?
In reply to BackInTheGame, 10 months ago

Every image needs sharpening one way or the other. The idea that D600 or whatever doesn't require sharpening is not true. It all depends on the image.

Also, Nikon having a better flash system in terms of metering is another big lie in my own opinion. I shoot with D800 and 5DIII and I can't say which flash system is better. They all have issues. You have to play with FEC on both to get it right. Don't depend on the camera.

rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?

HarveyMiami wrote:

What are your feeling about sharpness? Do you still use unsharp mask?

Or is it not necessary?

Any other thoughts. I am thinking of going from the 7D to the D600 or D800

My 2c (like worth less than that): any camera at that level will produce outstanding images. USM is used according to image and taste, maybe the D800E, because of it's non-AA system, will produce slightly more detailed images ooc, but then you need to use them at full res for that, any resizing will likely require some extra USM. Flash, can't say much re comparisons, Nikon's is actually pretty good, at least you won't miss anything.

7D (crop) to FF, whatever model, will be an improvement in IQ, generally, but may see a loss in speed, depending on model chosen, and, if tele shooting is your thing, a loss in reach with same lens (except maybe with D800, which still produces a 16MP APS-C RAW file).

You need to see what are your main uses for a camera, if WA or midrange or tele shooting, if speed is an issue, etc, then decide. Also, a visit to the store and handling cameras is usually helpful.

Good luck, as I said above maybe 1c worth of comments .

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,930Gear list
Like?

Dan_168 wrote:

HarveyMiami wrote:

Hi Dan,

I did not make myself clear. By oncamera flash, I was not referring to the little popup but the SB900. I shoot many events and don't have the option of going back to the 1D or ... I also do group photos of 50- 400 people and would like the higher resolution of Nikon.

If I went full frame Canon, I would have to buy new glass as most of mine is for APC. This makes changing brand a reasonable alternative.

I see, from my personal experiance, Nikon flash system is much easier to use and I got a lot better, more consistency performance out of the Nikon I have than the Canon I have, that's up to the D3+ SB800 vs 1DS3 + 580 EX time frame, I have never use my D800 for flash photo as that is my landscape only camera so no comment on that, but I don't think that will be any different from any high end Nikon in terms of flash system, however, I heard from other users saying the new Canon 600EX kind of closed the gap, I have friends using it on their 1D-X and 5D3 and they seemed to pretty happy with it, but I have no personal experience on that model, I found my old D3+ SB800 really easy to use and the result is very consistent and reliable.

The Canon 580EX II was a significant step forward for Canon Speedlites, and the 600EX-RT a significant refinement, as well as adding radio triggering. I used to envy Nikon shooters' low-light flash capability, until I bought a 580EX II, and then 600EX-RT Speedlites. That being said, I really like the Nikon SB-910, too, though I have not yet used it on a Nikon DSLR, just a Nikon A thus far. (A D800E is on my long-term wish list, for landscape shooting.)

since you mentioned high resolution, so I assumed you are aiming at the D800 not the D4, If you are going after the resolution, the D800 is hard to beat at the moment, but for events, as I said before, I personally much more prefer my Canon 1Ds3, or even a 5D3, to me the 5D3 is a more versatile camera than the D800, it's got a great AF system, the speed, the typical Canon skin tone (which I prefer over the Nikon), and I like the new 24-70L II and 70-200 F2.8 IS II better than the Nikon counterpart which I also own (or owned at one point), those were all my main event lenes...... lots to offer from Canon system in this area, but that's just my personal opinion, plenty of pros using both for all different kinds of paid jobs so they are definitely all capable of doing all those, so it 's all down to the individual's personal preference rather than the camera performance.

If the OP likes the the 7D ergonomics and controls, the 5D Mark III will be a very close match in that regard. The handling factor would seem important when shooting events. I find myself wanting to acquire a 5D Mark III, too! Wondering whether to prioritize the Canon or Nikon option is what has me reading threads such as this one.

I cannot add much more to this discussion, as my Nikon SLR camera are not digital; I mostly shoot with Canon 7D bodies. My chief mentor, my wife, is still happy with high-end DX bodies, so cannot offer advice on the D600/D610 or D800.

Well, to go back to ergonomics and controls for a moment, the D600/D610 are notably unfavorable for my hands, compared to the D800 body. The D800 has a more-hand-filling gripping area and the recessed area for the fingertips seems deeper and more secure, plus I prefer the Nikon "pro" controls, rather than the "consumer" controls of the D600/D610, borrowed from the D7000/D7100-series. Of course, these are individual factors; others's preferences will vary.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,402Gear list
Like?
In reply to amobi, 10 months ago

amobi wrote:

Every image needs sharpening one way or the other. The idea that D600 or whatever doesn't require sharpening is not true. It all depends on the image.

Based on his comments about the D800, I think that "BackInTheGame" meant that he finds that the "Standard Picture control" sharpens the D600 image enough for his tastes.

Also, Nikon having a better flash system in terms of metering is another big lie in my own opinion. I shoot with D800 and 5DIII and I can't say which flash system is better. They all have issues. You have to play with FEC on both to get it right. Don't depend on the camera.

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
amobi
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?
In reply to RBFresno, 10 months ago

RBFresno wrote:

amobi wrote:

Based on his comments about the D800, I think that "BackInTheGame" meant that he finds that the "Standard Picture control" sharpens the D600 image enough for his tastes.

I was basically responding to OP who wants to know if sharpening is still necessary with D600. I have no issues with whatever works for BackInTheGame.

RB

Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,579Gear list
Like?
disagree

on-board flash, to me it's just as useless as any camera with built in flash, I taped mine so it doesn't pop up, (pop up flash has been a pain for me on all cameras I had before),

Nikon onboard flash has CLS attached to it. If you have multiple SB speedlights, its fun to try creative shots without additional hardware sitting on top. You can trigger as many as you want with different channels and combinations, expsure separately or together.

single flash remotely ignited from left side using onboard flash

you do lose a lot of speed though, D800 is a slow camera compare to your 7D.

D800E is not slow. It acquires quickly and confidently even on small subjects. The AF sticks like a magnet for tracking. It can even focus in dark/low light situations. Yes, it does have less fps/sec, but if you add extra battery grip and shoot in dx, you can almost get away with 15mp resolution @6fps.

I used my D800E for landscape shooting exclusively, for sport, I rather go back to my 10 year old 1D2 for its focusing system and over speed and responsiveness, and for event or portrait,

same image cropped @100

@100

I prefer my 1DS2 and 1DS3. That's not to say you can't shoot landscape with a 7D or shoot sports with a D800E, it's just not the strong point of that particular camera and there is better tools for that particular job.

Cannot compares apples with oranges. But D800 is no slouch and it can be used for more than just landscape. It can be used for sports, portraits, or whavever else you can try with any camera. The limitation will usually be the photographer - except maybe when extremely high (>10) fps/buffer is required for sports

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,085Gear list
Like?
In reply to amobi, 10 months ago

amobi wrote:

That's not entirely true.  People sharpen digital photos... because they can be easily sharpened because of photoshop-type filters not because they "need" sharpening.  With film you were left with the sharpness of the image based upon lenses used and the film you were recording on. Large enlargements of film got increasingly softer as size increased.

In my opinion, photos of the digital age have too much sharpening which makes them look "digital".  People like paintings and have for centuries and they are generally very "soft" looking.  Makes you think, eh?

benjaminblack
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?

Leaving Canon was the best thing I ever did. We shoot 30-40 weddings a year and the D800 has been a dream. Nikon's speedlite system is so much more advanced than the 580 EXII, but be sure to get SB910s, not the 900. The 900 overheats. My biggest surprise after switching was how much I preferred Nikon's glass. I think Canon does a masterful job with their L marketing and I really bought into it all. PM me if you have any questions.

benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
benjaminblack
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rexgig0, 10 months ago

The 600ex might be great, I don't know, they came out after I left Canon. But the 580 is total crap compared the the SB910. I had 5 580's, I now have 5 910s and Nikon mops the floor with Canon. The OP will also enjoy the 1/320 flash sync of the D800 compared to the 1/200 of the 7D, and I believe the 5D3 as well. I can't remember if Canon bumped the 5D3 up from 1/200 but I don't think they did.

I just hired a girl to run the portrait side of my business. She shoots a 7D. She has a 580EXII. It's been fun watching her play with my Nikon speedlites, like a kid in a candy store

benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads