If you could only have one lens, what would it be?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
geoff35
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
If you could only have one lens, what would it be?
7 months ago

I recently bought a Nex 3n with kit lens, and am really glad I did its a great camera. I have inevitably though been looking for faster lenses. I have tried the Helios 44m and the Pentacon 50mm 1.8 and they are both good lenses although a little more cumbersome on the camera than I would like. This led me to looking at the rangefinder lenses, specifically the Jupiter 3 and 8 not as cheap on ebay as once was though. I am looking for a good all round focal length thinking 24-50mm (36-75mm on nex) prime lens with wide aperture sub F2, for the times when the kit lens just isnt bright enough.

This got me thinking if you had too choose only ONE lens money no object what would it be and why?

Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,147
Like?
Re: If you could only have one lens, what would it be?
In reply to geoff35, 7 months ago

24 Summilux Asph would do.

In a more sane range, the SEL24 Sonnar.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,432
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, 7 months ago

Canon 50mm f1.8 LTM. This is a lens for RF cameras, and the sharpness/contrast combination is amazing, especially for such a tiny lens.

Marc

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
easy

back in 2011 I got the original NEX-5 with the 18-55 kit lens I shot with the kit lens until Sigma released the 30mmf/2.8 - - until just recently when I picked up the Sigma 60mm for portraits the 30mm has been the only lens I have used.

If I were going to only have one - no doubt it would be a prime in the 30-35mm focal length range, either the Sigma or the sony 35mm f/1.8

I dont like zooms

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 724
Like?

its a very easy answer .. the 50SEL

1. you get the ability for nice defocused background portraits;

2. it performs very well wide open - great for low light/action

3. it has OIS so great for video and low light

4. for Sony E mount lenses its good value

Pity the 35SEL isnt priced like this and pity the NEX AF isnt FAR better in lower light to take advantage

no brainer really unless you just want to just take static pictures of landscapes (enter NEX fanboys) LOL

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,113Gear list
Like?

I recently bought a Nex 3n with kit lens, and am really glad I did its a great camera. I have inevitably though been looking for faster lenses. I have tried the Helios 44m and the Pentacon 50mm 1.8 and they are both good lenses although a little more cumbersome on the camera than I would like. This led me to looking at the rangefinder lenses, specifically the Jupiter 3 and 8 not as cheap on ebay as once was though. I am looking for a good all round focal length thinking 24-50mm (36-75mm on nex) prime lens with wide aperture sub F2, for the times when the kit lens just isnt bright enough.

This got me thinking if you had too choose only ONE lens money no object what would it be and why?

Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS

Small, light, very good (even wide open), excellent build quality and a perfect match for APSc bodies as a normal lens. Also, stabilized.

I have several 50-55mm lenses but find them less useful unless portraiture is the theme:
Canon 50mm f/1.4 LTM II: Small, heavy, short adapter and slightly longer than E35. Its okay wide open (lower contrast and sharpness). Very good at f/2 onwards.
Contax Zeiss 50/1.7 Planar: my favorite. I can trust this lens to perform, wide open, with good sharpness and contrast. The lens is very small but CY-E adapter is longer, and in the end, slightly longer than Canon LTM. Also a pleasure to focus manually (this I cannot say about the Canon above).
Mamiya Sekor 55/1.4: nice lens, good color, but recent addition for $60. I think an underappreciated lens. Built like a tank and looks very similar to Sony E 35 from the side cbut much heavier).

Also have Minolta 50/1.7 that goes on a55.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
marcoaml78
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?

being that my (manual) 35 1.4 lens stays 80% of the time on the camera (the other 20 i have a SEL50 there). i would gladly take the touit 32 as a permanent lens. 50 would be too narrow for most of my uses (50 is useless for indoors for anything other than portraits)

marcoaml78's gear list:marcoaml78's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,533Gear list
Like?
The SEL 18200 (1st version) n/t

n/t

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony SLT-A58 A3000 +10 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,149
Like?
One lens, OK...but I'll use it on three cams

I'd use my Zeiss ZM 35/2, but on three different cameras... as a 35mm on my A7, as a 52mm/2 on my APSC, and as a 70mm/2 on my µ4/3 cam.

-- hide signature --

Dave

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,594
Like?

55mm Micro-Nikkor.

DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,791Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 7 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS

Small, light, very good (even wide open), excellent build quality and a perfect match for APSc bodies as a normal lens. Also, stabilized.

^This.

Or if there ever manifests the currently-fantastical OSS-equipped version of the SEL24F18Z, which I think is a more useful FoV.

Of course, 1) "money no object" is merely rhetorical fodder, and 2) you have an ILC - to choose only one lens misses the entire point of it being an ILC. Like buying a Rolex to use as a hammer. Because there are some very good fixed-lens cameras out there these days.

The much better questions for a photographer would either be:

1) "I can only afford to buy one lens right now. What would be a good do-it-all-lens?"

2) "I have a limited budget right now. What lenses would be good to start with that I won't feel compelled to upgrade from in awhile?"

Otherwise:

3) "I'm an aesthete. My camera is part tool, part fetish. I want that *one special lens* I can put on it so I can stroke it like a bauble-extension of my ego.  What is the one lens, money-no-object, that I should consider?"

Y'all know its true.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
astone
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?
SEL1670Z

nt

astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?

A 10-70/2.8 with OIS.

What, there's no such lens? Drats!

Seriously, a 35mm equivalent of 15-105/2.8 would be great for a APS-C camera. But it would be HUGE for a mirrorless body and cost mucho $$$.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +2 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to DtEW, 7 months ago

I wouldn't count on a stabilized Zeiss Alpha (ZA) prime though, not even at 85mm. It will take a non Zeiss lens (as is the case in Canon's world too, non-L lenses) to have stabilization at shorter FL. In case of Canon, the shortest stabilized L prime is: 200/2.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,791Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 7 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I wouldn't count on a stabilized Zeiss Alpha (ZA) prime though, not even at 85mm. It will take a non Zeiss lens (as is the case in Canon's world too, non-L lenses) to have stabilization at shorter FL. In case of Canon, the shortest stabilized L prime is: 200/2.

Indeed. Which is a bit of a shame, as stabilization does indeed work great even at short FLs too, evidence the SEL1018.

Given that I see (perhaps this explains/debunks everything) the E-mount (only referring to the APS-C) as heading further toward the manifestation of practical performance in a wide spectrum of common everyday photography, I am hoping that somebody in Sonyland will soon relent with this whole "Zeiss is about ultimate optical (read: theoretical) performance and stabilization (unless absolutely needed) compromises that" and see that even Canon is stabilizing their 35mm FoV prime, red-ring-be-damned.  So maybe a G?

Anyways. Wishful thinking on my part. As I said in another post... I think it'll be a few years before we see another ~24mm for the E-mount.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
Vinylly
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?

I have a NEX-7 and I find my old Leica R 50mm. Siummicron f/2 is my favorite lens.  It's no larger with the adapter, then the Sony 18-55 mm kit lens, but is a little heavier.  I never use the kit lens.

Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vinylly, 7 months ago

Vinylly wrote:

I have a NEX-7 and I find my old Leica R 50mm. Siummicron f/2 is my favorite lens. It's no larger with the adapter, then the Sony 18-55 mm kit lens, but is a little heavier. I never use the kit lens.

I have the Zeiss version of a Leica 50mm Summicron M-mount.  These Zeiss lenses for Leicas are great lenses.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +2 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to DtEW, 7 months ago

I think the decision to exclude stabilization from premium lenses is made primarily to avoid quality issues (decentering is a common one) and whether a lose element could hurt IQ, even if occasionally.

Even on sensor based stabilization, the issue could relate to shutter shock, misaligned sensor and so on (since the sensor can't be firmly screwed to prevent smallest movements) but at least the optics can get a pass on that.

With zooms, less so as optical compromise is already made. It is probably also understood that premium lens buyers will be more aware of shooting requirements and better prepared.

dunders
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
Re: One lens, OK...but I'll use it on three cams
In reply to KwhyChang, 7 months ago

KwhyChang wrote:

I'd use my Zeiss ZM 35/2, but on three different cameras... as a 35mm on my A7,-

Dave

Dave,

My Biogon 35/2 does not play well with the A7r.  Can you post some photos to make me consider swapping for the A7, please?  I love the lens on the Zeiss Ikon and on the Ricoh GXR, but *ouch* on the A7r.

-- hide signature --

Paul
... lost in the Irish Sea.
http://flickr.com/photos/dunders

dunders's gear list:dunders's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
rsurya23
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?
Re: One lens, OK...but I'll use it on three cams
In reply to dunders, 7 months ago

My Zeiss 35mm F2.8 sonnar. I sold everything else.

rsurya23's gear list:rsurya23's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads