Flash for 70D?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
FeriTala
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
Flash for 70D?
6 months ago

Hi all

What's the most compatible flash for 70D, as I noticed most of the ones in the market are not fully compatible. I want something with a price range of £40-50.

Thanks

FeriTala's gear list:FeriTala's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FeriTala
Like?
Re: Flash for 70D?
In reply to FeriTala, 6 months ago
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,640
Like?

FeriTala wrote:

Hi all

What's the most compatible flash for 70D, as I noticed most of the ones in the market are not fully compatible. I want something with a price range of £40-50.

Thanks

The most compatible will be any Canon EX series flash.  I have a 420EX purchased in '99 that I can still use with my 7D.  They're also the most expensive, but IMO worth it.  At one time I cheaped out and got a 3rd party flash only to have it not be compatible after a couple generations of DSLR bodies.

Not sure what you can get for your price range that's going to be fully compatible.

The 430EX II is a good compromise in price & power, and it will be fully compatible in the hotshoe as well as off-camera as a wireless flash.  You paid a lot for the camera body, it's worth having a fully compatible flash for it.

Mark

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,640
Like?

FeriTala wrote:

What do you think about this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEEWER%C2%AE-NW680-Speedlite-Camera-Cameras/dp/B00F5JE87M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392904033&sr=8-1&keywords=E-TTL+flash+canon

I want a TTL one!

Never heard of it.  From the photos, it looks cheaply built.  Personally I wouldn't do it, but it's not my money.

Mark

jvkelley
Contributing MemberPosts: 809Gear list
Like?

The most compatible will be Canon EX series flashes.  Whatever you get, make sure it at least has tilt and manual flash power controls.  The cheapest option that meets those three criteria is probably a used Canon 430ex.  If you're lucky and patient, you might be able to find one in your price range on ebay.

-- hide signature --

J.V.

jvkelley's gear list:jvkelley's gear list
Canon PowerShot S50 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +2 more
Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,618
Like?

FeriTala wrote:

Hi all

Price is the problem here. Your best bet is probably a used 430EX but looking at eBay they seem to go for around £100.

Any "EX" Canon flash is compatible. The earlier ones can't be fully controlled from the camera, but that's just a convenience thing, you use the buttons on the flash instead.

There are compatible flashes of other brands, but when I researched this a while ago I found that a combination of compatibility issues, missing features, lower power and so on made it not really worthwhile to save a fairly small amount of money.

davel33
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?

Save a little money and get the Canon 320EX, its made for  the 70D.  The only way to get focus assist in LV is  with the 320EX with its video LED light.  Also the 70D will turn the video LED light on and off as needed in video.  On Amazon they sell of $150 new.

Dave

davel33's gear list:davel33's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +10 more
valkerie
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark B., 6 months ago

Not sure what you can get for your price range that's going to be fully compatible.

The 430EX II is a good compromise in price & power, and it will be fully compatible in the hotshoe as well as off-camera as a wireless flash. You paid a lot for the camera body, it's worth having a fully compatible flash for it.

Mark

agree 100 %

-- hide signature --

Valkerie

valkerie's gear list:valkerie's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
guido1953
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?

I purchased a used Canon 420EX with box, case, foot, all instructions
for $70.00 USD(shipped)on Ebay. Using flash on a Canon 60D.As old as it is it works great.

IMO, Spend the money on a Canon flash that will work with your camera.

Regards,
Guido

FeriTala
Like?

Thanks everyone!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads