EM5 outdated tech

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
icexe
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
Re: So where is it
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 6 months ago

Terry Breedlove wrote:

Oh well hell it is easy for you then. You are probably still shooting your Kodak you purchased 10 years ago at Walmart.

haha.. I guess you don't read people's sigs?

-- hide signature --

Before you can start taking good photographs, you must first learn how to recognize bad photographs.

icexe's gear list:icexe's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,731
Like?
Re: Stolen in Vietnam?

Terry Breedlove wrote:

The EM-5 would have been amazing here. I brought my film camera and my iphone so i am covered.

Glad you have something to use.  With my E-M5 I carry a backup (at the moment a G3) when I travel.  I keep it and a lens separate from the E-M5.  When I used various DSLRs I would also carry an extra body separate.  Even if nothing is stolen there are other possible mishaps:  lost, broken, etc.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,443Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I loved my em-5 with 17 mm f 1.8 bẻfore it was stolen a couple weeks ago- I would buy another one in a heart beat accept the technology is getting left behind. Even the new baby OMD EM10 has features its big brother EM5 doesn't. Yet I want the weather sealing of the EM5 so the EM10 isn't for me. Problem is i can't see Oly updating the EM5 with wifi and focus peaking etc until they also have a new imaging chip to put in it. I don't see them doing that until the EM-1 has been out for sometime. Maybe a year or more. I do not want the EM-1 because i can get the same iq with the much cheaper EM-5 plus it is ugly. I don't want the EM-10 because of no weather sealing. Any thoughts on the future of the EM-5 update?

I am pretty sure they will release a new OM-D by Photokina, and it should be E-M5 replacement.

Probable updates - TruePic VII, sensor from E-M1, WiFi, 2x2 control, 1Mpix rear screen. Less probable updates - 2.4mpix EVF, new higher-res sensor.

Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,324Gear list
Like?
Re: Stolen in Vietnam?
In reply to Henry Richardson, 6 months ago

Small backups are a good idea - my RX100 is mine and it fits in a large jacket pocket or a cargo pants pocket.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?

"Outdated tech" for me is limited to evaluating the sensor, the AF, the metering and the white balance.  WIFI and stuff like that doesn't really concern me; it might come in handy, but it doesn't impact image quality.  The only area where the Oly might be lacking would be tracking AF capability, but it is still pretty competitive with most of what's available in M43 in regard to AF.

-- hide signature --

Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
In reply to GingerBread, 6 months ago

With my 17mm f1.8 I found the focus to be really quick and really accurate on the EM-5. I just loved that combo.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads