EM5 outdated tech

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,809
Like?
Not even Oly considers it outdated...
In reply to String, 8 months ago

For the simple reason that it is a terrific tool in the hands of a photographer.

String wrote:

Terry Breedlove wrote:

So where then is focus peaking, wifi, and the latest firmware that works to make our lenses that much better. I hear my favorite lens on my EM-5 the 17mm f1.8 performs much better on the EM-1 and 10 because of it. Must have been buried in the menus somewhere huh.

I guess if you need those features you're then better off spending more money and taking a hit on your EM-5. For me, I think weather sealing and 5 axis IBIS are much better options than focus peaking/wifi. I would have considered a EM-1 however they added the small focus box to the EM-5 with the last update and that was my only complaint with the EM-5.

Money is probably better spent on quality glass than "the latest & greatest" but hey, its your money!

Indeed. There is a terrific list of inane posts like this that point to the OPs being simply  consumers mad with GAS.

A camera company is delighted with those because it can sell them what it wants. However when the need for money is assuaged, it remember it has another kind of customers that are photographers and it makes firmware upgrades. Thus a splendid camera lives on and on

Am.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,252Gear list
Like?
Re: Wifi with any camera, and the OM10 option
In reply to digifan, 8 months ago

digifan wrote:

Why is the E-M5 outdated.

The sensor is still very good imo. The latest firmware gives the much needed smaller AF area, and Wifi can be had on any camera by usung EYE-FI or WIFI SD cards, I use Toshiba Flash air and WIFI-SD from Transcend, working like a charm even on the "ancient" E-P1.

So what's left to want. A better sensor or on sensor AF?

I think the E-M10 is very nice if you need a camera now, it's relatively cheap and has all the benefits except WS.

-- hide signature --

Digifan

Thanks for the tip, Digifan. Instant WIFI without waiting for an update to my E-M5. Here's a link for others interested: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Flash-Wireless-Memory-PFW032U-1BCW/dp/B00GEBTH80/ref=sr_1_14?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1392990500&sr=1-14&keywords=wifi+sd

An interesting thread, a lot of good info. Also great to read the take of one poster who's used both the E-M1 and E-M5, and how he came back to using the 5 after several months of using both.

As another poster said, Olympus really did hit it out of the park with the E-M5. It struck me at the time like a hail Mary pass with the seconds ticking down on which the company's very future hinged. And it worked!

I waited almost a year hoping for a price drop to no avail, but jumped at a deal on Black Friday 2012 when GetOlympus inadvertantly sold a number of reconditioned E-M5's with 12-50mm lenses at dealer cost of $750. Sale lasted literally about an hour before they realized what had happened and pulled it. They earned my respect and eternal gratitude for honoring it.

Love my E-M5, and feel for you going through withdrawal.

I get your quandary, reconditioned E-M5 for $650 or new E-M10 for $700, tough one. At this point in time, with an updated E-M5 likely available in 9-10 months, I'd lean towards the E-M10 as a placeholder you can either 1) later use as a nice second body to reduce lens swaps, 2) give to your wide (right !), or 3) sell it at likely a small loss, using the money as downpayment on the new model E-M5.

I'd likely go for 3), looking at it as a pittance for a 9 month rental fee on an excellent small body.

Good luck, a few choices to opt from, none with a real downside.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,894
Like?
Re: Stolen in Vietnam?
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 8 months ago

Terry Breedlove wrote:

We arrived at the hotel and he unloaded the luggage. All accept the small backpack that had my camera in it. He took off like a rocket. We called him he came back handed me the backpack and again took off like a rocket. At least he left me my Nikon f100. The Oly EM-5 with the 17mm f 1.8 attached to it was gone. I still have my 45mm battery grip and four extra batteries.

That is really unfortunate and maddening to lose your camera right at the start of your trip. I have extensive travel experience and knock-on-wood I have never lost any of my stuff to thieves, but I have learned to be always aware of my surroundings and never let my stuff alone. That includes while getting out of a taxi. I don't stand outside the taxi pulling out money either. I get the money ready while still sitting in the taxi. I make sure that I have the most important stuff in my hands or on my body and the rest (such as a backpack) in the seat next to me (not in the trunk) and as I step out the door I stand right next to the open taxi door and get it out and loop my arm or leg through a shoulder strap to make sure someone on the side of the road doesn't grab something while I am distracted dealing with the taxi driver. It is just one of the reasons that I had always wanted smaller/lighter gear for travel. The E-M5 finally came along giving me most of the benefits of a DSLR, but smaller and lighter. Easier to keep things close when you don't have big, heavy bags.

Are you trying to find a replacement camera while in Vietnam? I suppose in Saigon and Hanoi you can find something, but don't know about prices.

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Sierra Dave
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
Until there's something better, it's not outdated

Terry Breedlove wrote:

Problem is i can't see Oly updating the EM5 with wifi and focus peaking etc until they also have a new imaging chip to put in it. I don't see them doing that until the EM-1 has been out for sometime. Maybe a year or more. I do not want the EM-1 because i can get the same iq with the much cheaper EM-5 plus it is ugly. I don't want the EM-10 because of no weather sealing. Any thoughts on the future of the EM-5 update?

I don't see why Olympus waiting to update the E-M5 until they get a new sensor is a bad thing.  Introducing new revisions every 12 months with minor feature adjustments is a pretty wasteful way to go.

I certainly hope the E-M5 update includes a high quality 24MP sensor that supports an electronic shutter, plus various improvements we've seen to processing and EVFs as of late.  1/8000s, WiFi, etc. I couldn't care less about...

The best and only reasonable replacement for the E-M5 today is another E-M5.  Given how many people are selling theirs to 'upgrade', a secondhand one is a good bargain.

Sierra Dave's gear list:Sierra Dave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,894
Like?
Get this new wifi SD card
zakk9
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
These are some of your options in Vietnam

Terry Breedlove wrote:

Yep it was stolen by the taxi driver about 30 minutes after arriving. Along with the 17mm 1.8 that was on it. i still have my 45 and battery grip. I also have my Nikon F100 with me but i only brought ten rolls of Tri-x thinking that the little Oly would be my main camera. I shot the 10 rolls up and now i am using the Iphone 5s. I can not find film anywhere.

You don't say where in Vietnam you are, but I visit Vietnam several times every year and film can be bought almost anywhere in cities of a reasonable size, although b&w can be hard to find. Fujifilm Proplus II 200 and Kodak ColorPlus 200 are $2 per roll and are used by local pros, but it's really consumer film. Can't beat that price though.

Cameras are also cheap in Vietnam, and in the larger cities, you should be able to find an E-M5 and even an E-M10 easily. The best places are obviously HCMC (Saigon) and Hanoi, but smaller cities also have. Most camera shops are small hole-in-the-wall things, and in HCMC, they are easiest to find in the area between the large boulevard going from the Opera to the big market and the river in District 1.

There are lots of second hand cameras available in Vietnam, but be aware that some of them are stolen. You might even find your own if you look long enough.

I just shot Singapore Airshow with Nikon D300 and D2Xs. They didn't seem outdated to me. Neither is the E-M5.

-- hide signature --

Jorgen, my name is Jorgen

icexe
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
Re: So where is it

Terry Breedlove wrote:

So where then is focus peaking, wifi, and the latest firmware that works to make our lenses that much better. I hear my favorite lens on my EM-5 the 17mm f1.8 performs much better on the EM-1 and 10 because of it. Must have been buried in the menus somewhere huh.

Me, I'm waiting for the "Take Prize Winning Photos" button, because without that feature, I might was well not bother buying any camera.

Oh, and Full-Frame because.. just, because..

-- hide signature --

Before you can start taking good photographs, you must first learn how to recognize bad photographs.

icexe's gear list:icexe's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
agentlossing
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to Bluevortex, 8 months ago

Bluevortex wrote:

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I loved my em-5 with 17 mm f 1.8 bẻfore it was stolen a couple weeks ago- I would buy another one in a heart beat accept the technology is getting left behind. Even the new baby OMD EM10 has features its big brother EM5 doesn't. Yet I want the weather sealing of the EM5 so the EM10 isn't for me. Problem is i can't see Oly updating the EM5 with wifi and focus peaking etc until they also have a new imaging chip to put in it. I don't see them doing that until the EM-1 has been out for sometime. Maybe a year or more. I do not want the EM-1 because i can get the same iq with the much cheaper EM-5 plus it is ugly. I don't want the EM-10 because of no weather sealing. Any thoughts on the future of the EM-5 update?

I hate reading threads like this on this forum, I've just made the leap from an EP-3 to a used EM-5 and already my camera is considered 'outdated tech'. It wasn't that long ago the EM5 was the best thing since sliced bread - whats changed?

Blue

No one needs the latest tech, is the thing. If there were huge flaws in current technology, then there would be a reason for the upgrade treadmill, but the EM5 and brethren are highly capable cameras. Resist the urge for one more bell or whistle!

agentlossing's gear list:agentlossing's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +3 more
Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
In reply to Henry Richardson, 8 months ago

The EM-5 would have been amazing here. I brought my film camera and my iphone so i am covered.

Terry Breedlove
Like?
Re: Wifi with any camera, and the OM10 option
In reply to sderdiarian, 8 months ago

Yep i think the 10 now and the new 5 later is the way i am going.

Terry Breedlove
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to agentlossing, 8 months ago

I had no urge to upgrade my 5 was stolen and i really need another small camera.

Terry Breedlove
Like?
No gas no BS.
In reply to amalric, 8 months ago

I do not have gas. MY CAMERA WAS STOLEN ! I was perfectly happy with it but i do not have it anymore because it was TAKEN by a thief. So now that I have a NEED to buy a new camera yes i would like the latest tech. Get it yet ?

Oh and your little snide remark implying i am not a photographer is just childish.

Terry Breedlove
Like?
Re: So where is it
In reply to icexe, 8 months ago

Oh well hell it is easy for you then. You are probably still shooting your Kodak you purchased 10 years ago at Walmart.

Terry Breedlove
Like?
Re: These are some of your options in Vietnam
In reply to zakk9, 8 months ago

I am in the country in the middle of nowhere and loving it. I will be back in Saigon this week and i will buy some more film. So many photo ops here just amazing and i will be back for sure. By the way might fall back on my dusty D2x fir a bit .

Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,139Gear list
Like?
Wifi controls
In reply to Henry Richardson, 8 months ago

Henry Richardson wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9000705957/eye-fi-mobi-wi-fi-sd-card-review

It depends on what you want a wi-fi interface to do.

If you just want to wirelessly transmit photos to your phone or base-station, then that card should work.

If however, you want to control your camera from your smart phone, then that card will not work. I can sympathize with the OP, but Olympus would argue that they released the new tech in the E-M1, E-M10, Stylus-1, and originally in a reduced state in the E-P5 (but the new firmware release just brough the E-P5 up to par). I just picked up a Stylus-1, and tried it out. On the Stylus-1, you could zoom in/out, but you wouldn't be able to do that with the OM-D, unless you buy the new power zoom lens. I'm sure that sooner or later, the EM-5 will be replaced, and the successor will have wifi support.

I only used the control for a few minutes, but it did seem to suffer from lag in sending back the video, and the operating distance was quite short. It would be useful for a pole camera where you put the camera on a pole to raise it up over a crowd, and then use the smartphone to verify where the camera is pointing, and fire the shot. The touch focus support that is in the Stylus1 (and recent Pen/OM-D) can be used on the phone, and that is useful. However, with the range being quite short, it isn't as useful if the camera is some distance away from you.

If all you need to do is fire the camera at a distance, there are several radio based shutter releases that emulate the RM-UC1 that can be bought.

There is also the Gigtube DSLR wireless viewfinder that combines a wireless monitor with a shutter release. It isn't as useful as the wifi interface, since the only control is fire, but on the other hand, the Gigtube claims to have a range of 100m: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190656992783?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
larsbc
Forum ProPosts: 11,494
Like?

Terry Breedlove wrote:

We arrived at the hotel and he unloaded the luggage. All accept the small backpack that had my camera in it. He took off like a rocket. We called him he came back handed me the backpack and again took off like a rocket. At least he left me my Nikon f100. The Oly EM-5 with the 17mm f 1.8 attached to it was gone. I still have my 45mm battery grip and four extra batteries.

Thanks for the info.  I'm sure it is uncomfortable just talking about it.  I know it's a small consolation but by telling your story here, you will probably be saving someone else from a similar fate.

Terry Breedlove
Like?
In reply to larsbc, 8 months ago

You know honestly it didn't bother me so much to lose the camera as it did to loose it before i got a chance to use it here. I go through a lot of equipment and this really isn't much different feeling than breaking something in the mountains somewhere on a hike. I guess when you shoot as much as i do you get used to replacing stuff on a regular bases. However i am missing some great photo ops right now and that really bothers me. Lesson learned, bring more back up equipment than i did and put it in seperate bags and watch it like a hawk

amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,809
Like?
Re: No gas no BS.

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I do not have gas. MY CAMERA WAS STOLEN ! I was perfectly happy with it but i do not have it anymore because it was TAKEN by a thief. So now that I have a NEED to buy a new camera yes i would like the latest tech. Get it yet ?

Oh and your little snide remark implying i am not a photographer is just childish.

Well, then I must suppose you are an American photographer, and thinking that they stole things from you in Vietnammakes the thing even more entertaining.

Were they aware that they were stealing obsolete technology from you? I wonder... and depriving you of a zillion of photo opportunities? Bwaha... Trigger happy, mh?

Am.

gak44
Regular MemberPosts: 289Gear list
Like?
Re: Until there's something better, it's not outdated
In reply to Sierra Dave, 8 months ago

Even then it's not outdated, just no longer state of the art at that size and price point.

gak44's gear list:gak44's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
Terry Breedlove
Like?
EM-5 not Obsolete
In reply to amalric, 8 months ago

The EM-5 is not obsolete it is just slightly outdated features wise. It is a very nice camera and i was very happy with it. However since i no longer have it i might as well get one that is current with all the new features i want don't you think. I have other cameras so it isn't an emediate need. I can wait for the new replacement for the EM-5 if that wait isn't to long. Or i can buy the EM-10 now. My only issue with the 10 is no weather sealing or it would be mine asap. I just wanted to hear from people when they think that Oly might bring the new 5 out. I recognise i started a mess with all the fan boys with that one word " outdated" . Wasn't intentional i was just trying to give some background to my situation and reasons for my delima. Relax it is just a camera people.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads