EM5 outdated tech

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
larsbc
Forum ProPosts: 11,494
Like?
Re: Stolen in Vietnam?
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 8 months ago

Terry Breedlove wrote:

Yep it was stolen by the taxi driver about 30 minutes after arriving. Along with the 17mm 1.8 that was on it. i still have my 45 and battery grip. I also have my Nikon F100 with me but i only brought ten rolls of Tri-x thinking that the little Oly would be my main camera. I shot the 10 rolls up and now i am using the Iphone 5s. I can not find film anywhere.

Sorry to hear that.  How exactly did he steal the camera from you?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,075Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech

My EM-5 was stolen i am being forced to buy a replacement. I want those new features and since i am being forced to spend the money i might as well get what i want. I also want the focus peaking because lately i have been enjoying shooting with my old Nikon glass. That is a recent development in my shooting. I want wifi because i like to share images when i am on the road or hiking trail. I am in Vietnam right now typing this on an iphone. Would be nice if i could easily share a few photos with you.

Totally agree how useful wifi can be for sharing photos. I have been using wifi to transfer a few photos from my photo-hikes to my smartphone. The use the Snapseed app to post process a little. Then post on Facebook. My wife will see it and know I got back from the photo-hike. Very handy.

Have a good time on your travels.
--
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3380136992_7c5a0986ea_m.jpg

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Fri13
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't believe the few hype cases of failed weather sealing....
In reply to lambert4, 8 months ago

I was pointing to that example as I do have a little hard time to understand how can someone claim a lens/body is weather sealed (I would love to see the body!) when you can get such inside them. Like in what kind environments does those manufacturers really test their lenses?

I believe that manufacturers would be in big trouble in many countries government consumer rights watchdogs because false marketing. If you sell and market your product as "dust proof", then dust sized particles are not allowed to affect the product.

And it isn't enough that manufacturers would claim that it is just a normal dust, when they are marketing their products with ads where cameras and lenses are exposed to very fine dust.

Fri13's gear list:Fri13's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
LaMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,266Gear list
Like?
Re: What's all the fuss about weather sealing?
In reply to Fri13, 8 months ago

Are you frequently on expeditions in the rain forest, or do you do a lot of white water rafting? How could photography exist for over a century without weather sealed cameras?

I would love to find out from the forum members, how many opportunities of taking great pictures in reality were spoiled because the camera wasn't tight.

Herbert

-- hide signature --
 LaMesa's gear list:LaMesa's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Bourbonball
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: So where is it
In reply to String, 8 months ago

I've recently been hit by gear envy, until I started looking at photos I've been printing off from my PC.  Turns out the ones I have been admiring the most came from my old e-620 with the 14-54 II and 50mm lenses.  I am the owner of an E-M5/17mm 1.8 and love the portability, low-light performance and touch screen more than anything.  The low light performance is really the only thing I wish the 620 had, which is why I switched to the e-m5.  Not a bad switch, but the pictures aren't hugely better...just a little bit different.  But everyone has the right to purchase what they want, but more options doesn't necessarily mean better.

Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
In reply to larsbc, 8 months ago

We arrived at the hotel and he unloaded the luggage. All accept the small backpack that had my camera in it. He took off like a rocket. We called him he came back handed me the backpack and again took off like a rocket. At least he left me my Nikon f100. The Oly EM-5 with the 17mm f 1.8 attached to it was gone. I still have my 45mm battery grip and four extra batteries.

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170
Like?

Terry Breedlove wrote:

We arrived at the hotel and he unloaded the luggage. All accept the small backpack that had my camera in it. He took off like a rocket. We called him he came back handed me the backpack and again took off like a rocket. At least he left me my Nikon f100. The Oly EM-5 with the 17mm f 1.8 attached to it was gone. I still have my 45mm battery grip and four extra batteries.

Some great deals on used em5s  ~$500-450 and less. Keep eyes peeled. Good luck.

Terry Breedlove
Like?
In reply to DLBlack, 8 months ago

Yep agree and thank you

Terry Breedlove
Like?
Re: What's all the fuss about weather sealing?
In reply to LaMesa, 8 months ago

Well actually i live in a rain forest and yes i have lost a camera due to rain. Weather sealing isn't bullet proof but it is nice to have if you can. Besides for all those decades of great photography many of those cameras didn't have all the electronics todays cameras have.

Terry Breedlove
Like?
I want to play with the first
In reply to jennajenna, 8 months ago

Yea i see that. I think it it is down to the EM-5 and 10 right now. When I get back to the states i hope Glaziers in Seattle where i bought my camera will have a EM-10 to play with.

Terry Breedlove
Like?
Loved my EM-5
In reply to jwinberg1, 8 months ago

Honestly if my camera wasn't stolen we wouldn't be having this discussion. However since it was i owe it to myself to at least take a look at the new tech don't you think. I might still get the EM-5 again because i have the battery grip and extra batteries for it already. I want to take a look at the EM-10 first though.

Terry Breedlove
Like?
17 mm better iq on EM-1
In reply to Bourbonball, 8 months ago

The 17mm f 1.8 was my favorite lens. The perfect focal length and so damn quick to focus. Loved it but my understanding is that due to updated firmware in the EM-1 the 17mm actually performs better iq wise. So i am hoping the same for the EM-10.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,637
Like?
What's wrong with the EM5?

After a couple of months of having the EM1, I've decided that I will keep my EM5.

Focus peaking, which the EM1 has, has not proven to be very useful, especially if you're using fast lenses where genuine DOF is shown in the VF (EM1 and EM5), and that makes for a better focus indication because you can see the progression of in focus to out of focus. Focus peaking is strictly on/off, doesn't give you a good feel for how much is in focus, and tends to distract from the natural DOF preview.

Wi-fi... haven't had an opportunity to use it.

Noise - the EM5 is actually better than the EM1 in that regard, for very dark scenes like night sky shots. That was a surprise.

And, oh heck, the EM5 is a classic. It touched off two rages: small DSLR's and retro DSLR's.

And, it's a darn good little camera. Only reason I got the EM1 was to AF my ZD lenses, and the 1/8000 shutter speed. Outside of that, I can't say that it produces better photos than the EM5.

Terry Breedlove
Like?
Nothing
In reply to TrapperJohn, 8 months ago

Nothing wrong with the 5 and if it wasn't stolen from me i wouldn't be looking for a replacement right now. However it was stolen and i want a new camera. We just have more options now features wise. The technology keeps moving along. .

" 1/8000 shutter speed. Outside of that, I can't say that it produces better photos than the EM5."

Yep and that is the reason why i never added the EM-1 to my kit.

thk0
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?

Something to consider: followups to great products can disappoint. Often gimmicks go up and elegance and build quality go down. I hope that is not the case with the EM5 successor. I will look very carefully at that camera. However I will probably wait to switch up until there are significant sensor improvements. Olympus hit one out of the park with the EM5. It remains a great camera.

thk0's gear list:thk0's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,623
Like?
The minute anything is announced it is already obsolete (nt)

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,497
Like?
Re: Nothing

Terry Breedlove wrote:

Nothing wrong with the 5 and if it wasn't stolen from me i wouldn't be looking for a replacement right now. However it was stolen and i want a new camera. We just have more options now features wise. The technology keeps moving along. .

" 1/8000 shutter speed. Outside of that, I can't say that it produces better photos than the EM5."

Yep and that is the reason why i never added the EM-1 to my kit.

I would buy a refurbished E-M5 and then sell if something better comes out later on this year.  I see ones for as low as $619 on Amazon.  It's not just the weather sealing that is important, the 5 axis IBIS is great.  Focus peaking is coming for the E-M5 in a software update.  WIFI, well can't people just to download to the ipad or Android?  I've never understood the need for that, but maybe that is just me.  But the good IBIS is one feature that is worth its weight in gold.  I've taken photos at a half a second that I would never get even with one of the vaunted Fuji or FF cameras.

The only reason I would consider getting the E-M1 if it goes down to $999 is because of the even better IBIS.

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,004
Like?
... outdated brain

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I loved my em-5 with 17 mm f 1.8 bẻfore it was stolen a couple weeks ago- I would buy another one in a heart beat accept the technology is getting left behind. Even the new baby OMD EM10 has features its big brother EM5 doesn't. Yet I want the weather sealing of the EM5 so the EM10 isn't for me. Problem is i can't see Oly updating the EM5 with wifi and focus peaking etc until they also have a new imaging chip to put in it. I don't see them doing that until the EM-1 has been out for sometime. Maybe a year or more. I do not want the EM-1 because i can get the same iq with the much cheaper EM-5 plus it is ugly. I don't want the EM-10 because of no weather sealing. Any thoughts on the future of the EM-5 update?

It should have taken you about two seconds to understand there is no weathersealed m4/3rds with focus peaking, wifi and your own mysterious firmware upgrades that isn't also an E-M1 and therefore too expensive or too ugly (your words)

So it seems baffling why you started this thread unless it was just to get attention, maybe some sympathy for giving your camera away to a taxi driver. Your replies show it wasn't to discuss a possible E-M5 upgrade, because that's not what you are talking about here. Go read that rumour site, groundless speculation enjoys itself there.

Read this slowly many times : buy another E-M5 and stop being facetious.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

digifan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188Gear list
Like?
Re: Wifi with any camera
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, 8 months ago

Why is the E-M5 outdated.

The sensor is still very good imo. The latest firmware gives the much needed smaller AF area, and Wifi can be had on any camera by usung EYE-FI or WIFI SD cards, I use Toshiba Flash air and WIFI-SD from Transcend, working like a charm even on the "ancient" E-P1.

So what's left to want. A better sensor or on sensor AF?

I think the E-M10 is very nice if you need a camera now, it's relatively cheap and has all the benefits except WS.

-- hide signature --

Digifan

Fri13
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Re: Wifi with any camera
In reply to digifan, 8 months ago

The key element in WiFi in E-M1 is not that you can transfer photos to smartphone or tablet because the WiFi doesn't offer tethering mode or uploading automatically photos like Eye-Fi.

The reason for WiFi in E-M1 is the remote control. That you can control your camera with smartphone or tablet trough live view.

It has few flaws what Olympus should fix to make out a great WiFi functionality.

1) Turn rear display off when you connect with a camera.

2) Allow camera shooting with WiFi connected but then disable tablet/smartphone controls (like give a application the switch for it)

3) Allow automatic upload from camera to smartphone/tablet or computer connected to camera (you can set computer to connect the camera and use the camera IP to see web page)

4) Best (if just would be possible) function would be to allow camera to connect to existing network and expose the SDcard as a NAS.

Now if you want to tether shots to computer/tablet/smartphone, you need to use Eye-Fi card. Olympus is not going to allow that because they have deal with Eye-Fi manufacturer.

At least if photographer could use camera and automatically upload photos to tablet, it would be enough for start. As then just pulling tablet from pocket, browse and mark photos in gallery and continue.

Fri13's gear list:Fri13's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads