EM5 outdated tech

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,920Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking EM-10 for now
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 10 months ago

Terry Breedlove wrote:

Looking at the EM-10 for now and then give it to my wife when the new EM-5 arrives.

Not a bad solution. I may have got one as a second body if it had the same E-VF as the E-M1. As is, I'm waiting to see whether the replacement of the E-M5 will have the new V-F4 equivalent or still the older one.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

 rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 13,081
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 10 months ago

Have you considered the Sony A99?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
String
Senior MemberPosts: 1,428Gear list
Like?
Re: So where is it
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 10 months ago

Terry Breedlove wrote:

So where then is focus peaking, wifi, and the latest firmware that works to make our lenses that much better. I hear my favorite lens on my EM-5 the 17mm f1.8 performs much better on the EM-1 and 10 because of it. Must have been buried in the menus somewhere huh.

I guess if you need those features you're then better off spending more money and taking a hit on your EM-5. For me, I think weather sealing and 5 axis IBIS are much better options than focus peaking/wifi. I would have considered a EM-1 however they added the small focus box to the EM-5 with the last update and that was my only complaint with the EM-5.

Money is probably better spent on quality glass than "the latest & greatest" but hey, its your money!

 String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
String
Senior MemberPosts: 1,428Gear list
Like?
3 days ago...
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 10 months ago

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I loved my em-5 with 17 mm f 1.8 bẻfore it was stolen a couple weeks ago- I would buy another one in a heart beat accept the technology is getting left behind. Even the new baby OMD EM10 has features its big brother EM5 doesn't. Yet I want the weather sealing of the EM5 so the EM10 isn't for me. Problem is i can't see Oly updating the EM5 with wifi and focus peaking etc until they also have a new imaging chip to put in it. I don't see them doing that until the EM-1 has been out for sometime. Maybe a year or more. I do not want the EM-1 because i can get the same iq with the much cheaper EM-5 plus it is ugly. I don't want the EM-10 because of no weather sealing. Any thoughts on the future of the EM-5 update?

You were buying a Fuji. What will it be 3 days from now?

 String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
al_in_philly
Regular MemberPosts: 472Gear list
Like?
What is "outdated tech?"
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 10 months ago

You say you'd buy another E-M5 except that it's now no longer cutting edge.  If your previous E-M5 enabled you to do the photography which you wanted to do, why look any further?

Many of us get so caught up in having the best camera (or home, car, or spouse) that we lose sight of what having a meaningful experience is all about.  Of course we can be impeded by the limitations of our gear, and in those situations if a better alternative is available there's nothing wrong with trying for a better fit for one's needs.  But as you've found with the E-M5, photographic technology has advanced to the point where it's now easily possible to purchase a camera which poses virtually no serious limitations in achieving one's imaging goals, no matter what those goals may be.

Stop lamenting.

Stop wanting even more advanced technological devices.

Start photographing.

Almost all of the greatest photographs were taken by cameras and recording media woefully inferior to what is available today.

As long as you can find a "good" camera for you, embrace it and learn how to meld with it and let it become a true extension of your photographic eye.  Striving for that, instead of purchasing the latest and greatest camera will yield infinitely better photographs.

 al_in_philly's gear list:al_in_philly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Thomas Kachadurian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,001Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 10 months ago

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I loved my em-5 with 17 mm f 1.8 bẻfore it was stolen a couple weeks ago- I would buy another one in a heart beat accept the technology is getting left behind. Even the new baby OMD EM10 has features its big brother EM5 doesn't. Yet I want the weather sealing of the EM5 so the EM10 isn't for me. Problem is i can't see Oly updating the EM5 with wifi and focus peaking etc until they also have a new imaging chip to put in it. I don't see them doing that until the EM-1 has been out for sometime. Maybe a year or more. I do not want the EM-1 because i can get the same iq with the much cheaper EM-5 plus it is ugly. I don't want the EM-10 because of no weather sealing. Any thoughts on the future of the EM-5 update?

Outdated? Hardly.

It's still the same great camera that is now LOTS cheaper and easy to get.

Do you need wifi? Did you say before, if I only had wifi I could make better photos. Was the AF so bad that you missed focus and peaking will make you a better photographer?

I doubt it.

Old tech is an EP-1 or G1, and both still can make pretty good photos.

If you ask me it's the perfect time to buy an EM5

Tom

-- hide signature --

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,629Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to rrr_hhh, 10 months ago

Ulric wrote:

Didn't they put peaking in the new firmware 2.0 for E-M5?

no, they have added the fake ISO 100 and the smaller AF target you can find in the E-Pl5. They didn't add focus peaking, nor the ability to affect some Mysets to the PASM wheel.

Anyway, I don't think the E-M5 is outdated. The IQ is right up there. And the price has come down to a very attractive level.

Neither do I. But it would be nice to get those two other features which you can find on the E-Pl5. Amother firmware update has been announced at 43rumors, but it may just be wishful thinking.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

That's disappointing. I thought they would have tossed in everything the hardware supports.

 Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,194Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking EM-10 for now
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 10 months ago

Looking at the EM-10 for now and then give it to my wife when the new EM-5 arrives.

My local dealer just got in the E-M10 yesterday. I stopped by the store today and got a chance to play with it. It handles better than my E-M5. I still like my E-M1 better. Anyhow, the E-M10 is a very good handling camera and is very small.
--
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3380136992_7c5a0986ea_m.jpg

 DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,845Gear list
Like?
Photokina
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 10 months ago

with some luck we may see a new EM5 at Photokina this year

or perhaps a new EP5 like an EP7 with builtin EVF

but we're talking about Christmas time availability at the earliest

I chose the EM10 over the  EM5 (which I sold) mainly because it has builtin flash , better EVF/LCD,  better feel on the buttons/dials, smaller size (WIFI is a boon), same battery as EPL5/EP3

Lack of weatherproof I can live with

Yes, like someone suggested you can get the EM10 today and when the rain comes get the new EM5  and hand the EM10 to your spouse

Cheers

 dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bgalb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to Thomas Kachadurian, 10 months ago

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I loved my em-5 with 17 mm f 1.8 bẻfore it was stolen a couple weeks ago- I would buy another one in a heart beat accept the technology is getting left behind. Even the new baby OMD EM10 has features its big brother EM5 doesn't. Yet I want the weather sealing of the EM5 so the EM10 isn't for me. Problem is i can't see Oly updating the EM5 with wifi and focus peaking etc until they also have a new imaging chip to put in it. I don't see them doing that until the EM-1 has been out for sometime. Maybe a year or more. I do not want the EM-1 because i can get the same iq with the much cheaper EM-5 plus it is ugly. I don't want the EM-10 because of no weather sealing. Any thoughts on the future of the EM-5 update?

Outdated? Hardly.

It's still the same great camera that is now LOTS cheaper and easy to get.

Do you need wifi? Did you say before, if I only had wifi I could make better photos. Was the AF so bad that you missed focus and peaking will make you a better photographer?

I doubt it.

Old tech is an EP-1 or G1, and both still can make pretty good photos.

If you ask me it's the perfect time to buy an EM5

Tom

-- hide signature --

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

+1.  I don't consider wi-fi, focus peaking, lack of convenient mysets even marginally essential features.  If anything, most current cameras have way too many features for my taste.  I have both the E-M5 and the E-M1 along with an assortment of lenses that I have culled down to five.

I chose the E-M5 over the E-M1 for our recent 11 day trip to Merida, Mexico because it was smaller and blended in perfectly with the multitude of superzooms and point and shoots that most of the locals were using.  I didn't feel the least bit IQ deprived.  Just slightly less ergonomic and convenient to use vs the E-M1.

 bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richie S
Regular MemberPosts: 496
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to bgalb, 10 months ago

EM5 is not cutting edge, this sector moves quickly, but you just have to decide what package you want. I've added an eyefi card to mine which allows easy transfer to a phone or tablet. Focus peaking is useful to some situations, but choosing a camera has always been about deciding what's important to you. Every manufacturer has overlap in their product Release cycles.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to Henry Richardson, 10 months ago

I really do not like Sony. I just don't get the feeling they have strong photography roots like Olympus or Nikon etc.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Re: 3 days ago...
In reply to String, 10 months ago

I want both. When i had my EM-5 i shot it along side my Nikon. I used the Oly more for street and hiking the nikon for weddings and portraits. I also still shoot film as well .

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Re: What is "outdated tech?"
In reply to al_in_philly, 10 months ago

If it wasnt recently stolen i would still be shooting with it. I had no plans to replace it but now that i need to i want to spend my money wisely .

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to Thomas Kachadurian, 10 months ago

My EM-5 was stolen i am being forced to buy a replacement. I want those new features and since i am being forced to spend the money i might as well get what i want. I also want the focus peaking because lately i have been enjoying shooting with my old Nikon glass. That is a recent development in my shooting. I want wifi because i like to share images when i am on the road or hiking trail. I am in Vietnam right now typing this on an iphone. Would be nice if i could easily share a few photos with you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Re: Photokina
In reply to dv312, 10 months ago

Yep i am thinking more and more the short term answer is the EM-10. I live in Forks Wa though we average over 120 inches of rain a year. I have lost a camera before when caught in the rain so weather sealing is important to me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 13,081
Like?
Stolen in Vietnam?
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 10 months ago

Was it stolen in Vietnam?  Will you buy a new camera in Vietnam?

For adapted old Nikon lenses you might also really like the Sony A7/A7r, A6000, etc.

I traveled in Vietnam in 2010 and 2000.  Good place for photos.  Tough to be without your camera.  I have photos in Galleries 1.

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Re: Stolen in Vietnam?
In reply to Henry Richardson, 10 months ago

Yep it was stolen by the taxi driver about 30 minutes after arriving. Along with the 17mm 1.8 that was on it. i still have my 45 and battery grip. I also have my Nikon F100 with me but i only brought ten rolls of Tri-x thinking that the little Oly would be my main camera. I shot the 10 rolls up and now i am using the Iphone 5s. I can not find film anywhere.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bluehighwayman
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 10 months ago

My E-M5 is not outdated by a long shot!  Until a camera that fits in my pocket is flat with a 12-500mm f/1.4 zoom, impeccable resolution, waterproof down to 100 feet, shockproof, has IBIX stabilization capable of improving things by 5 stops and has incredible low light capabilities is on the market (:

 bluehighwayman's gear list:bluehighwayman's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jwinberg1
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 10 months ago

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I loved my em-5 with 17 mm f 1.8 bẻfore it was stolen a couple weeks ago- I would buy another one in a heart beat accept the technology is getting left behind. Even the new baby OMD EM10 has features its big brother EM5 doesn't. Yet I want the weather sealing of the EM5 so the EM10 isn't for me. Problem is i can't see Oly updating the EM5 with wifi and focus peaking etc until they also have a new imaging chip to put in it. I don't see them doing that until the EM-1 has been out for sometime. Maybe a year or more. I do not want the EM-1 because i can get the same iq with the much cheaper EM-5 plus it is ugly. I don't want the EM-10 because of no weather sealing. Any thoughts on the future of the EM-5 update?

ARRRGGHHH - another "outdated" thread!

"OUTDATED" is a marketing term, used to denigrate perfectly good cameras with excellent IQ!  Many such cameras are far better than their owners ability to wring the last iota of quality out of them.

We get so hung up on "features" that the entire purpose of photography, to make good images, gets lost.

There, now I feel better!  (Rant off!)

Jack Winberg

 jwinberg1's gear list:jwinberg1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads