EM5 outdated tech

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
EM5 outdated tech
10 months ago

I loved my em-5 with 17 mm f 1.8 bẻfore it was stolen a couple weeks ago- I would buy another one in a heart beat accept the technology is getting left behind. Even the new baby OMD EM10 has features its big brother EM5 doesn't. Yet I want the weather sealing of the EM5 so the EM10 isn't for me. Problem is i can't see Oly updating the EM5 with wifi and focus peaking etc until they also have a new imaging chip to put in it. I don't see them doing that until the EM-1 has been out for sometime. Maybe a year or more. I do not want the EM-1 because i can get the same iq with the much cheaper EM-5 plus it is ugly. I don't want the EM-10 because of no weather sealing. Any thoughts on the future of the EM-5 update?

labe
Senior MemberPosts: 2,901Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to Terry Breedlove, 10 months ago

As your without camera at the mo I'd just get an epl5 so as to have the same IQ as the em5 while you wait for what you really want!

-- hide signature --

new to technology,always learning

labe's gear list:labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-5 II +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cipher
Senior MemberPosts: 2,426Gear list
Like?
Wait for the E-P7

rumor is that it will have an integrated VF.  Not sure if it'll be weather-sealed or not.

Cipher's gear list:Cipher's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +12 more
Bluevortex
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I loved my em-5 with 17 mm f 1.8 bẻfore it was stolen a couple weeks ago- I would buy another one in a heart beat accept the technology is getting left behind. Even the new baby OMD EM10 has features its big brother EM5 doesn't. Yet I want the weather sealing of the EM5 so the EM10 isn't for me. Problem is i can't see Oly updating the EM5 with wifi and focus peaking etc until they also have a new imaging chip to put in it. I don't see them doing that until the EM-1 has been out for sometime. Maybe a year or more. I do not want the EM-1 because i can get the same iq with the much cheaper EM-5 plus it is ugly. I don't want the EM-10 because of no weather sealing. Any thoughts on the future of the EM-5 update?

I hate reading threads like this on this forum, I've just made the leap from an EP-3 to a used EM-5 and already my camera is considered 'outdated tech'. It wasn't that long ago the EM5 was the best thing since sliced bread - whats changed?

Blue

Bluevortex's gear list:Bluevortex's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Fri13
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?

Waiting time is long, you will never then get a camera you want.

I would say, buy a second hand E-M5 and you are happy, unless you are ready to buy a E-M1.

I would have got E-M10 but because missing weather sealing, I couldn't.

But now I am little wondering is the weather sealing really so good in Olympus, as I have been scared off by people claiming that dust (especially on color runs etc) gets easily inside and even rain could get too, this by Nikon and Canon systems.

Fri13's gear list:Fri13's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
Terry Breedlove
Like?
Not a bad idea. NT
In reply to labe, 10 months ago

As your without camera at the mo I'd just get an epl5 so as to have the same IQ as the em5 while you wait for what you really want!

-- hide signature --

new to technology,always learning

Nt

Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,629Gear list
Like?

Didn't they put peaking in the new firmware 2.0 for E-M5?

Anyway, I don't think the E-M5 is outdated. The IQ is right up there. And the price has come down to a very attractive level.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,525Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bluevortex, 10 months ago

Bluevortex wrote:

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I hate reading threads like this on this forum, I've just made the leap from an EP-3 to a used EM-5 and already my camera is considered 'outdated tech'. It wasn't that long ago the EM5 was the best thing since sliced bread - whats changed?

Blue

The E-M5 was ahead of its time - arguably nobody else has an IBIS as good as that created by Olympus for this camera. My E-M5 still gives me amazing still image IQ (Pannie is ahead when it comes to video) that is more than a match for the IQ I got from the GH3.

It's not outdated just because there's a newer model. Wi-Fi is a bit of a gimmick IMHO but I guess others might argue it's a must... There are a few other nice features on the E-M10 that are absent from the E-M5, but that's also like the G6 versus the GH3 as well, with the G6 having focus peaking for example, and the GH3 not offering it. Manufacturers always add new things.

Your E-M5 will still give you great IQ for years to come - I suggest stepping back from gear envy - I suffer from it too much myself and it is a drain on the bank balance...

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony RX100 +1 more
Terry Breedlove
Like?
In reply to Bluevortex, 10 months ago

When all the other cameras coming out even those below and cheaper than the EM-5 have new tech that i really want. Like wifi and focus peaking and better firmware. That is when the EM-5 is outdated. I wasn't going to buy a new camera but now i am forced to so i am trying to figure out the best path forward.

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,193Gear list
Like?
Re: Wait for the E-P7
In reply to Cipher, 10 months ago

Cipher wrote:

rumor is that it will have an integrated VF. Not sure if it'll be weather-sealed or not.

Might be waiting for a very long time if there is not a E-P7 coming.  Seems like the thing about the E-P7 is just wishful thinking on part of a magazine writer.  Something along the lines of if there is an E-P7 then it might look like this type of article.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +26 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,193Gear list
Like?

I am guessing the E-M5 replacement will be announced just before Photokina show this Fall and will be in stores for the holiday sales.  No details on what it might be like. Most likely weather-sealed.  Most likely all the features from the E-M10 plus couple of more goodies.

Until then a E-PL5 will be a nice body to hold you over and then serve as a backup body.  Then again the E-M10 or the E-M5 could also serve the same function.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +26 more
Terry Breedlove
Like?
Thinking EM-10 for now
In reply to DLBlack, 10 months ago

Looking at the EM-10 for now and then give it to my wife when the new EM-5 arrives.

lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,368Gear list
Like?
Don't believe the few hype cases of failed weather sealing....
In reply to Fri13, 10 months ago

Fri13 wrote:

Waiting time is long, you will never then get a camera you want.

I would say, buy a second hand E-M5 and you are happy, unless you are ready to buy a E-M1.

I would have got E-M10 but because missing weather sealing, I couldn't.

But now I am little wondering is the weather sealing really so good in Olympus, as I have been scared off by people claiming that dust (especially on color runs etc) gets easily inside and even rain could get too, this by Nikon and Canon systems.

I have subjected my early EM5 repeatedly to conditions I never would have risked my non sealed GH1 or other bodies to.  And in each the camera and sealed lens has performed flawlessly.  There was a nice thread on here this week regarding the Holi Festival in India (sp.) and Lens Rental guys replied with a very poignant discovery that the powders and dyes used in those runs are invasive and charged particals actually adhere or attract to the insides of even their best Canikon sealed lens.  They have stopped covering lens used in those conditions because there is no hope of success.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,368Gear list
Like?
I have seen used EM5 for as little as $500...

Are there newer options sure? But IQ is still as good.  If you lost all your gear a fresh start may be in order if not choose one that uses your spare batteries and other goodies.  EP5 EM1 or EM5?  You can resell or gift it later to your wife and still have universal accessories.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Jolly Oly
Contributing MemberPosts: 978Gear list
Like?
EM5 outdated tech my a** (n/t)
-- hide signature --

cheers
JO
Yes, I'm a Helicopter Pilot... No, I won't Break You Out of Jail.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kresimir041/

Jolly Oly's gear list:Jolly Oly's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Re: I have seen used EM5 for as little as $500...
In reply to lambert4, 10 months ago

Just get an E-PL5, it's all of the camera the E-M5 is in a lot of ways, it's FAST! and has IBIS... if not so many points... the kicker is you can now buy an E-PL5 body for $500 new with local warranty and it takes a crap on all the other MILCs in its size category.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Oli4D
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?

Terry Breedlove wrote:

It was stolen... so why don't you just get it again and let the insurance pay for it?

That's way they are there for

Oli4D's gear list:Oli4D's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Terry Breedlove
Like?
In reply to Oli4D, 10 months ago

Since i am being forced to buy a new camera i want all the newest goodies. Focus peaking, wifi etc

Terry Breedlove
Like?
So where is it
In reply to Jolly Oly, 10 months ago

So where then is focus peaking, wifi, and the latest firmware that works to make our lenses that much better. I hear my favorite lens on my EM-5 the 17mm f1.8 performs much better on the EM-1 and 10 because of it. Must have been buried in the menus somewhere huh.

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,920Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ulric, 10 months ago

Ulric wrote:

Didn't they put peaking in the new firmware 2.0 for E-M5?

no, they have added the fake ISO 100 and the smaller AF target you can find in the E-Pl5. They didn't add focus peaking, nor the ability to affect some Mysets to the PASM wheel.

Anyway, I don't think the E-M5 is outdated. The IQ is right up there. And the price has come down to a very attractive level.

Neither do I. But it would be nice to get those two other features which you can find on the E-Pl5. Amother firmware update has been announced at 43rumors, but it may just be wishful thinking.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads