7-14mm for travel?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
7-14mm for travel?
6 months ago

I've been interested in wide angle lately but never really tried shots wider than 12mm (24mm FOV) with the 12-35mm.

The review seems to agree that the Pana 7-14mm F4 is a very good wide angle zoom.

I'm going to the mountains and thinking I want to explore wider lens, just need to ask that if I take only one lens can the 7-14 be a walk around lens for landscape and family shots, can I at least take nice shots of family member with background of the view at long end of the zoom or it's not really practical?

Thanks,

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
George Paulides
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?
Re: 7-14mm for travel?
In reply to zilver, 6 months ago

I would not call the 7-14mm a "walk around" lens. It is more of a landscape lens, a great performer at that.

If you want to take pictures of family you would be better off with a standard lens as 12-35mm or 14-42mm.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,428Gear list
Like?

I think it's too wide to be a walk around lens. I'd go for the 12-35. If you see a scene that too wide for 12mm, shoot multiples and stitch.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Mark Thornton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,627Gear list
Like?

My 11-22 is fine as a walk around lens albeit oversized on m4/3. The Olympus 9-18 may be suitable and does have a m4/3 version. I agree with the other posters, that 14mm is a bit too wide to qualify for 'walkaround' use.

Mark

Mark Thornton's gear list:Mark Thornton's gear list
Olympus E-500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
Isabel Cutler
Forum ProPosts: 14,523
Like?
Re: Suggestion

zilver wrote:

I've been interested in wide angle lately but never really tried shots wider than 12mm (24mm FOV) with the 12-35mm.

The review seems to agree that the Pana 7-14mm F4 is a very good wide angle zoom.

I'm going to the mountains and thinking I want to explore wider lens, just need to ask that if I take only one lens can the 7-14 be a walk around lens for landscape and family shots, can I at least take nice shots of family member with background of the view at long end of the zoom or it's not really practical?

Thanks,

The 7-14 would be too wide for all round and people use.

You'd be much better off with the 12-40 and when it's not wide enough to combine images into panoramas when you get home and can edit them. Here's a panorama I made at 12mm with the 12-40:

Best viewed at original size

Or...as long as you don't need it for low light work a standard 14-42 kit lens (or some other kit lens in that range) would be perfect for outdoors.  I've found my Olympus 14-42II to have excellent image quality.

Isabel

Richard Weisgrau
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,010
Like?

I agree with those who have posted here saying that the 7-14 is not a walk around zoom lens. With the 12-35 you already have that type of lens. The zone from 7mm to 12mm is very wide indeed, and there are few subjects you will encounter in your travels that require that wide a lens. It is not a good lens for candids on the street unless you want to move in close to your subject and get a lot of background in the shot.  I have the 7-14. It is a remarkably good lens. I use it mainly for shooting residential real estate interiors. Even then I hardly ever have the lens set at 7mm.

-- hide signature --

Richard Weisgrau
www.drawnwithlight.com
www.show-my-house.com
Author of:
The Real Business of Photography
The Photographers Guide to Negotiating
Licensing Photography
Selling Your Photography

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,436Gear list
Like?
Re: 7-14mm for travel? Absolutely!

zilver wrote:

The 7-14mm is excellent. It focuses quickly and produces very sharp images, as long as you don't stop it down too much. I try go no further than f8. It takes a little effort to learn to control the 7mm end, but it's really worth it! Here's a good piece by Ken Rockwell (really! ) on shooting with ultra-wide lenses.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-use-ultra-wide-lenses.htm

It's part of my standard travel kit and I often use it as a walkabout lens when shooting places and spaces. And also for my design business. But certainly NOT people! My girlfriend complains of looking blimp-like if I happen to catch her in the edge of the frame. I always carry longer prime lenses or a standard zoom, so I can swap when necessary. If I were to carry two cameras, I think I'd dedicate the second to the 7-14mm. It's really that good. The images it helps me produce can be kind of amazing.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
markymark101
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?
UWA is really cool - go for it

For years i didn't think I needed an UWA and just stiched.   I bought the 9-18nm last year, and no way I'm selling it.   You can do more with an UWA that stitching just doesn't get you.

Saying that, UWA is not very good for people.   The wider you go the more faces and bodies can get distorted.   However, the 9-18mm is a better choice for an all-rounder than the 7-14mm.   I could easily take the 9-18mm and and a telephoto on vacation and be happy.   The 7-14mm is a fine lens, though.

Sometimes you just need more than one lens.   That's why they make them interchangable.   With m43, carrying an extra lens is no problem - they weigh nothing.    Pair up the 7-14mm with a fast prime (20mm or 25mm) and you are good to go.  Or if you wanted to stick with zooms, adding the 14-54 or a 14-42 are inexpensive options.

Anyway, I say go for the UWA.

markymark101's gear list:markymark101's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729Gear list
Like?

Two threads on travel lenses which include discussions of the 7-14:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3625142

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3627156

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +1 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,436Gear list
Like?
Re: UWA is really cool - go for it
In reply to markymark101, 6 months ago

markymark101 wrote:

Sometimes you just need more than one lens. That's why they make them interchangable. With m43, carrying an extra lens is no problem - they weigh nothing. Pair up the 7-14mm with a fast prime (20mm or 25mm) and you are good to go. Or if you wanted to stick with zooms, adding the 14-54 or a 14-42 are inexpensive options.

Exactly.

The original kit I bought with my first M4/3 was the GH2, 14-140mm, 20mm and 7-14mm. This was a perfect and very flexible set of travel lenses. Not too many (always a danger! ) and covering quite a wide range. My girlfriend has a GX1 and uses a 14-42mm II, 20mm and 45-150mm. I use a GX7 and primes. We share the 7-14mm.

Regardless of where I go or what I'm doing, the 7-14mm is always there. It's just a fantastic lens. And LOTS of fun to use!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 915
Like?

zilver wrote:

Thanks,

It will be fine, 28mm equivalent is great for environmental portraits. The 7-14 is one of the best lenses m43 has to offer in my opinion. Sharp at every focal length corner to corner from wide open to f8. After f8 diffraction starts to affect sharpness but that happens with all m43 lenses. The unique perspective you get at 7mm can't be replicated by stitching and you can create some amazing shots if you get it right. I would take the oly 45mm f1.8 to complement it though just in case you want some closer people shots.

zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?

Thanks all for the great replies.

I guess it's still divided answer on whether the 14mm end can actually take family shots with the background view when traveling.

I tried the 9-18mm and not really happy with the sharpness so I returned it too quickly without actually testing out the focal length uses, mistake!

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 833Gear list
Like?

zilver wrote:

I guess it's still divided answer on whether the 14mm end can actually take family shots with the background view when traveling.

The 14mm long end of the 7-14 isn't really that much worsethan the 14mm short end of just about every kit lens made.

Here are two snaps with the 7-14 that might be the type of shots you are contemplating, one at 7 (with some significant subject distortion, particularly the dog at left), and one at 14.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?

To the OP:  Actually, the opinions are NOT equally divided if you count them up.  Many more of the comments say that 7-14 is NOT suitable because it is too wide and causes distortion.  The advocates of the 7-14 include it as part of a multi-lens travel ensemble and the examples given of use with family are atypical.

IMO, it is YOU who cannot decide and remain equipoised between purchasing the 7-14 or not.  You have the entire range of reasons provided to you, both pro and con.  We cannot make this decision for you.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +23 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,244
Like?

zilver wrote:

Thanks,

Don't you already own a lens that can do 14mm? Like the kiit lens that came with your camera? Why don't you use it at 14mm and find out for yourself?

sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,244
Like?

zilver wrote:

Thanks all for the great replies.

I tried the 9-18mm and not really happy with the sharpness so I returned it too quickly without actually testing out the focal length uses, mistake!

The 9-18mm is on par with other m43 lenses I’ve used. Sorry to disappoint everyone, but the m43 system is not the most optically perfect out there. I only discovered real sharpness after buying a Ricoh GR.

The 7-14 is probably going to perform worse on an Olympus camera than the 9-18mm, because although it may be a bit sharper, it has a lot more purple fringing plus weird issues with purple flare. So I hope you intend to use it only on Panasonic cameras.

EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,143Gear list
Like?

zilver wrote:

Thanks,

The 7-14mm is essential in my travel kit, but I would never take *just* that lens, always a couple others like the 12-40, 75/1.8, or a few primes like 12/25/45 along with it in a small messenger bag.

When you need a lens like the 7-14, nothing else will do, but it isn't in any way a general purpose do everything lens. Its a specialty ultra wide zoom.

al_in_philly
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?
7-14mm for travel with pics

I always take my 7-14 with me when I travel.  When I was shooting 4/3 the Olympus Zuiko 7-14 was tons of fun, giving me unique perspectives unavailable with even a standard wide-angle lens; and now that I've downsized to m4/3, the Pany 7-14 continues to give me some of my most memorable shots when traveling.  Here's a few samples:

al_in_philly's gear list:al_in_philly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +1 more
JLTaylor
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
Re: mountain landscape example.

A few years I carried a 7-14 on a favorite hike (Ingalls Lake in the Cascades) and took the same scene at 7mm and at 14 and stitched.

7mm

Same time/location stitched version.

I am not a big fan of UWA for landscapes (exception is if you are going for large DOF). In the upper photo the clouds and larches seemed stretched in the corners.  In this case Mount Stuart is very close to Ingalls pass, but UWA's can easily make molehills out of mountains.

The stitched version looks more natural, even though it is much wider. Another advantage of shooting panoramas is you can use different projections.

To show why the UWA stretches the corners I mapped stitched version using rectilinear projection and did not crop.

-- hide signature --
JeanPierre Martel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,895Gear list
Like?

zilver wrote:

I'm going to the mountains and thinking I want to explore wider lens, just need to ask that if I take only one lens can the 7-14 be a walk around lens for landscape and family shots

The Lumix 7-14mm is a super wide-angle lens. Invaluable in specific situations but quite specialized.

Its strong parallax effect can be corrected for landscape but it's harder for deformed human beings shot near the side of the frame.

In your message, it's not clear if you'll climb mountains or drive to them. If you climb, it's difficult to protect that lens from hitting rocks since it doesn't accept filters.

In a nutshell, if I were in your shoes, I'd bring the Lumix 7-14mm for landscape photo, but rely to another lens as my general-purpose lens.

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads