Memes and Trolling

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 593Gear list
Like?
Re: Memes and Trolling
In reply to flbrit, 7 months ago

flbrit wrote:

Just be careful forum. It starts off as fun then gains traction and can do damage.

Not saying some 'facts' exist but the framing of the discussion and continual misrepresentation will damage the brand.

Brian

My favorite:  "My camera has shutter shock."

More like:  "My camera, under certain conditions, can exhibit shutter shock."

I once held my camera by the end of a long telephoto lens and produced the most unbelievably horrible shutter shock image ever, just for fun.  It was so bad you could see it on the LCD.  Some would say that it's the camera's fault and the manufacturer is evil for not fixing it.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,648Gear list
Like?
In reply to bigpigbig, 7 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

nixda wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

nixda wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

nixda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

michelowski wrote:

Oh god, my X-T1 is broken I see nothing when I use flash... Oh god, is my X-Pro1 going to die, it got hit by a raindrop and it's not weather sealed... Oh god I've got the orbs... Oh god I took a picture of leaves and now they look like green makkaroni - - Is that what you mean?

Yep, that's what I meme. Plus the dreaded skin disorder.

I am really worried about the 86,000 PDAF pixels that critically impair the color reproduction capabilities of the latest sensors.

Also, we all know that raw converters cannot process X-Trans files.

Seriously, though, many of these 'issues' are simply based on ignorance. But it is a bit frightening that they are oftentimes presented by people coming from other systems and looking at the Fuji cameras for the first time. There is a lot of misconceptions floating around on the Interweb, but it's no different for any other camera system.

If those 'issues' are simply based on ignorance then why do you see them raised time and again only in the Fuji forum, also are you saying that Fuji user are ignorant?

When I was using a Canon as my primary camera, I saw plenty of similar behavior there. When I check into something about our D7000, I see plenty of trollish or ignorant behavior in the Nikon forum. I do not think the Fuji forum is any different.

yes you do get trolls in other forums there is much more of it in here, there is also a lot of exaggerations made and this constant need to pit the Fuji's against FF DSLR's or the A7/R, no other forum does that.

That is in fact partly Fuji's own fault. They started out with the X-Pro1 claiming that it's 'as good as FF'. Subsequently, a lot of people investigated that claim, leading to a ton of very heated discussions. I remember those days...

Hmmm, not sure about al that. I for one, dream of the day that a FF camera becomes unnecessary for what I do. The X-T1 is the closest yet. It is exciting to me. I am happy to see it close the gap in AF ability.

This is a gear forum. Isn't comparing gear part and parcel of what is "supposed" to happen here?

People talk about FF and APS-C being apples and oranges, but it is just not the case. The only difference is about 33% smaller sensor. Otherwise it is apples and apples.

Go Fuji, Go!

Fuji was also telling us about xpro1 as being fastest focusing camera with 0.005 s lag. This was also deceiving as it is using one real number (lag) to give impression of something else in this particular case the speed of auto focus.  So no wonder people would complain that their world fastest focusing camera is somehow not that fast.

And don't forget that the goal of consumers is to consume, go and buy. Repeatedly. We have very little to say about anything else so if a camera is hyped and it doesn't live to its hype then there are complains.

I think Fuji should start selling the cameras in more professional manner (the old canon.Nikon way) not the apple way. Bring up the real strengths, don't try to invent names and hyped technologies for the smallest least important things and for our sake stop the bs about world fastest, best or prettiest.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,648Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm a JPEG shooter
In reply to Joel Stern, 7 months ago

Joel Stern wrote:

nixda wrote:

taz98spin wrote:

nixda wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

agree 100% ! Just recently a guy opened up a thread about waxy skin tones, showing a photo which was out of focus, way off WB and badly exposed. I would really like to know if those people do have Fuji gear because it is so easy to open up a new thread in another forum, claiming I have a camera this or that brand. Who can verify ? May be just trolls!

There are trollish topics, for sure, but that one isn't one of them. The plasticky skin rendition is a well-known flaw in the JPEG engine of the newer cameras. Whether it's blown out of proportion is another matter, but for JPEG shooters it is a legitimate problem.

I'm a JPEG shooter. Even for weddings, engagements, and studio sessions, I use JPEGs only.

I have deadlines to meet for my clients, and a full time job outside of photography, so I try to get everything right in camera, so I can spend minimum time in photoshop.

However, I've never had issues with plasticky skin as bad as the other thread showed. It looks like the photo was out of focus, and he adjusted the clarity setting to the extreme.

Besides, if waxy skin is a such a well-known issue, shoulnd't owners of the Fuji cameras should avoid high ISO or shoot RAW or use a flash?

That is better discussed in the other threads that deal with the subject, but yes, your suggestion is quite valid. However, a lot of people are ticked off by the fact that the X-Pro1 and the X-E1 do not show that behavior nearly as bad (if at all) as the X-E2. It has less to do with shooting technique than with Fuji's implementation of the JPEG engine. They as much as admitted that they render images to satisfy certain markets, which might not satisfy other markets.

And people hated the 100s vs the 100

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

I think the 100s is more consistent in iq than the old 100. It is about the same speed. What I didn't like about my x100s was that it lasted for about 900 shots then died.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Don Karner
Contributing MemberPosts: 773Gear list
Like?

I know what a troll is, but thanks to this thread, I had to look up what the heck a "Meme" is.

I learn something every day......

-- hide signature --

Ol' Don in Broken Arrow

Don Karner's gear list:Don Karner's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
Dorkington
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?

I'm back to restarting my ignore list. This place gets really annoying every time a new camera or lens is produced.

(had an old account, this is a different one)

Dorkington's gear list:Dorkington's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to LaFonte, 7 months ago

LaFonte wrote:

Fuji was also telling us about xpro1 as being fastest focusing camera with 0.005 s lag. This was also deceiving as it is using one real number (lag) to give impression of something else in this particular case the speed of auto focus. So no wonder people would complain that their world fastest focusing camera is somehow not that fast.

Yes, Fujifilm has claimed "world fastest autofocus" so many times that it has lost all meaning.

And don't forget that the goal of consumers is to consume, go and buy.

Yep.  Big time.  The hype machines are in full swing these days with rumor sites and professional bloggers nothing more than lightly disguised shill machines.

Repeatedly. We have very little to say about anything else so if a camera is hyped and it doesn't live to its hype then there are complains.

I think Fuji should start selling the cameras in more professional manner (the old canon.Nikon way) not the apple way. Bring up the real strengths, don't try to invent names and hyped technologies for the smallest least important things and for our sake stop the bs about world fastest, best or prettiest.

Absolutely agree.  Fujifilm should lose the snake oil.  It is transparent.

Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
Re: Godwin's Law
In reply to 57LowRider, 7 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

Alohaman wrote:

I some wise person said that whoever uses the "Nazi-card" first usually looses the argument.

Nothing about winning or losing an argument, everything about thread length and probability

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Well, Alohaman didn't actually quote Godwin's Law, so his statement was perfectly correct.

But even if he had, Godwin's Law certainly doesn't say "nothing about winning or losing an argument". That proposition is a corollary of the Law, i.e. it naturally follows from it. Your own link says that too.

Speaking as a fellow-pedant, It's legitimate to quote it as Godwin's Law.

Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 7 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

LaFonte wrote:

Fuji was also telling us about xpro1 as being fastest focusing camera with 0.005 s lag. This was also deceiving as it is using one real number (lag) to give impression of something else in this particular case the speed of auto focus. So no wonder people would complain that their world fastest focusing camera is somehow not that fast.

Yes, Fujifilm has claimed "world fastest autofocus" so many times that it has lost all meaning.

And don't forget that the goal of consumers is to consume, go and buy.

Yep. Big time. The hype machines are in full swing these days with rumor sites and professional bloggers nothing more than lightly disguised shill machines.

Repeatedly. We have very little to say about anything else so if a camera is hyped and it doesn't live to its hype then there are complains.

I think Fuji should start selling the cameras in more professional manner (the old canon.Nikon way) not the apple way. Bring up the real strengths, don't try to invent names and hyped technologies for the smallest least important things and for our sake stop the bs about world fastest, best or prettiest.

Absolutely agree. Fujifilm should lose the snake oil. It is transparent.

I think people need to stop having hysterics about normal marketing techniques. I mean, good grief, don't you have anything else to worry about?

The idea that Canon and Nikon don't hype the new features of their cameras is beyond ridiculous.

Finally, do you really want Fujifilm to market less aggressively from what is an already weak market-position? Because if they do, and their sales drop, what will happen to the X-Series then?

Relax. Take some medication. It will all be okay.

SensorGuy
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, 7 months ago

Joel Stern wrote:
there is a belief that fuji applies NR to RAW. Yes, it is all over, I even bought into thst one when viewing the DPR images.

If you understand how demosaicing the 6x6 X-Trans CFA raws actually works, you will know that there is, effectively, noise reduction applied to raw images.

kodachromeguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 560Gear list
Like?
Re: Memes and Trolling and utter stupidity
In reply to michelowski, 7 months ago

You forgot:

this camera has such terrible low light capability and only goes to ISO 12,500;

it can't focus on a moving soccer player in low light;

the finder only has 8 million pixels;

this inferior camera makes blurry photographs because it won't focus my 1970 Nikon manual focus lens;

why should I use a tripod?

why are the lenses so heavy and big when micro 4/3 lenses are smaller?

These First World complaints go on and on.

-- hide signature --

The Kodachromeguy

kodachromeguy's gear list:kodachromeguy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
In reply to SensorGuy, 7 months ago

SensorGuy wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:
there is a belief that fuji applies NR to RAW. Yes, it is all over, I even bought into thst one when viewing the DPR images.

If you understand how demosaicing the 6x6 X-Trans CFA raws actually works, you will know that there is, effectively, noise reduction applied to raw images.

'Applied' is not the right word here. It's a consequence of the interpolation scheme. AFAIK, there is no noise reduction after demosaicing.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads