Like?
Re: Memes and Trolling
In reply to nixda, 7 months ago

nixda wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

nixda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

michelowski wrote:

Oh god, my X-T1 is broken I see nothing when I use flash... Oh god, is my X-Pro1 going to die, it got hit by a raindrop and it's not weather sealed... Oh god I've got the orbs... Oh god I took a picture of leaves and now they look like green makkaroni - - Is that what you mean?

Yep, that's what I meme. Plus the dreaded skin disorder.

I am really worried about the 86,000 PDAF pixels that critically impair the color reproduction capabilities of the latest sensors.

Also, we all know that raw converters cannot process X-Trans files.

Seriously, though, many of these 'issues' are simply based on ignorance. But it is a bit frightening that they are oftentimes presented by people coming from other systems and looking at the Fuji cameras for the first time. There is a lot of misconceptions floating around on the Interweb, but it's no different for any other camera system.

If those 'issues' are simply based on ignorance then why do you see them raised time and again only in the Fuji forum, also are you saying that Fuji user are ignorant?

When I was using a Canon as my primary camera, I saw plenty of similar behavior there. When I check into something about our D7000, I see plenty of trollish or ignorant behavior in the Nikon forum. I do not think the Fuji forum is any different.

yes you do get trolls in other forums there is much more of it in here, there is also a lot of exaggerations made and this constant need to pit the Fuji's against FF DSLR's or the A7/R, no other forum does that.

seems to be a lot of little brother envy so it's hardly a surprise that you get people posting comments that you don't agree with, however just because you don't agree with these people doesn't mean what their saying is any less valid

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm a JPEG shooter
In reply to taz98spin, 7 months ago

taz98spin wrote:

nixda wrote:

taz98spin wrote:

nixda wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

agree 100% ! Just recently a guy opened up a thread about waxy skin tones, showing a photo which was out of focus, way off WB and badly exposed. I would really like to know if those people do have Fuji gear because it is so easy to open up a new thread in another forum, claiming I have a camera this or that brand. Who can verify ? May be just trolls!

There are trollish topics, for sure, but that one isn't one of them. The plasticky skin rendition is a well-known flaw in the JPEG engine of the newer cameras. Whether it's blown out of proportion is another matter, but for JPEG shooters it is a legitimate problem.

I'm a JPEG shooter. Even for weddings, engagements, and studio sessions, I use JPEGs only.

I have deadlines to meet for my clients, and a full time job outside of photography, so I try to get everything right in camera, so I can spend minimum time in photoshop.

However, I've never had issues with plasticky skin as bad as the other thread showed. It looks like the photo was out of focus, and he adjusted the clarity setting to the extreme.

Besides, if waxy skin is a such a well-known issue, shoulnd't owners of the Fuji cameras should avoid high ISO or shoot RAW or use a flash?

That is better discussed in the other threads that deal with the subject, but yes, your suggestion is quite valid. However, a lot of people are ticked off by the fact that the X-Pro1 and the X-E1 do not show that behavior nearly as bad (if at all) as the X-E2. It has less to do with shooting technique than with Fuji's implementation of the JPEG engine. They as much as admitted that they render images to satisfy certain markets, which might not satisfy other markets.

Didn't know about that fact. Well, I'm Asian, so maybe that's why I like the JPEGS?

Film makers always had different versions for different markets. It's not surprising that this notion carried over to the digital world. IMO, though, it doesn't make any sense in this modern day and age.

But than again, my clients are Caucasian and they don't have issues with images.. humm.

It seems you are more careful about your high-ISO images then. Perhaps more constructive would be to educate the person (as others have done in that thread) instead of chastising him/her. Sometimes, as I mentioned above, it's simply honest ignorance that's the problem. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt until a pattern emerges that may make me rethink my attitude.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
In reply to LWS2013, 7 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:

nixda wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

nixda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

michelowski wrote:

Oh god, my X-T1 is broken I see nothing when I use flash... Oh god, is my X-Pro1 going to die, it got hit by a raindrop and it's not weather sealed... Oh god I've got the orbs... Oh god I took a picture of leaves and now they look like green makkaroni - - Is that what you mean?

I am really worried about the 86,000 PDAF pixels that critically impair the color reproduction capabilities of the latest sensors.

Seriously, though, many of these 'issues' are simply based on ignorance. But it is a bit frightening that they are oftentimes presented by people coming from other systems and looking at the Fuji cameras for the first time. There is a lot of misconceptions floating around on the Interweb, but it's no different for any other camera system.

If those 'issues' are simply based on ignorance then why do you see them raised time and again only in the Fuji forum, also are you saying that Fuji user are ignorant?

When I was using a Canon as my primary camera, I saw plenty of similar behavior there. When I check into something about our D7000, I see plenty of trollish or ignorant behavior in the Nikon forum. I do not think the Fuji forum is any different.

yes you do get trolls in other forums there is much more of it in here, there is also a lot of exaggerations made and this constant need to pit the Fuji's against FF DSLR's or the A7/R, no other forum does that.

That is in fact partly Fuji's own fault. They started out with the X-Pro1 claiming that it's 'as good as FF'. Subsequently, a lot of people investigated that claim, leading to a ton of very heated discussions. I remember those days...

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,593Gear list
Like?

nixda wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

nixda wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

nixda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

michelowski wrote:

That is in fact partly Fuji's own fault. They started out with the X-Pro1 claiming that it's 'as good as FF'. Subsequently, a lot of people investigated that claim, leading to a ton of very heated discussions. I remember those days...

Hmmm, not sure about al that. I for one, dream of the day that a FF camera becomes unnecessary for what I do. The X-T1 is the closest yet. It is exciting to me. I am happy to see it close the gap in AF ability.

This is a gear forum. Isn't comparing gear part and parcel of what is "supposed" to happen here?

People talk about FF and APS-C being apples and oranges, but it is just not the case. The only difference is about 33% smaller sensor. Otherwise it is apples and apples.

Go Fuji, Go!

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
daddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to flbrit, 7 months ago

While some of this is obviously trolling (you can typically tell by the tone of the discussion), I think some of it is people who will always see the glass half empty instead of half full. There will always be people who intensely look for (and fixate on) the negatives of a product instead of enjoying it's virtues.

Mike

daddyman's gear list:daddyman's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
taz98spin
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?

nixda wrote:

taz98spin wrote:

nixda wrote:

taz98spin wrote:

nixda wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

agree 100% ! Just recently a guy opened up a thread about waxy skin tones, showing a photo which was out of focus, way off WB and badly exposed. I would really like to know if those people do have Fuji gear because it is so easy to open up a new thread in another forum, claiming I have a camera this or that brand. Who can verify ? May be just trolls!

There are trollish topics, for sure, but that one isn't one of them. The plasticky skin rendition is a well-known flaw in the JPEG engine of the newer cameras. Whether it's blown out of proportion is another matter, but for JPEG shooters it is a legitimate problem.

I'm a JPEG shooter. Even for weddings, engagements, and studio sessions, I use JPEGs only.

I have deadlines to meet for my clients, and a full time job outside of photography, so I try to get everything right in camera, so I can spend minimum time in photoshop.

However, I've never had issues with plasticky skin as bad as the other thread showed. It looks like the photo was out of focus, and he adjusted the clarity setting to the extreme.

Besides, if waxy skin is a such a well-known issue, shoulnd't owners of the Fuji cameras should avoid high ISO or shoot RAW or use a flash?

That is better discussed in the other threads that deal with the subject, but yes, your suggestion is quite valid. However, a lot of people are ticked off by the fact that the X-Pro1 and the X-E1 do not show that behavior nearly as bad (if at all) as the X-E2. It has less to do with shooting technique than with Fuji's implementation of the JPEG engine. They as much as admitted that they render images to satisfy certain markets, which might not satisfy other markets.

Didn't know about that fact. Well, I'm Asian, so maybe that's why I like the JPEGS?

Film makers always had different versions for different markets. It's not surprising that this notion carried over to the digital world. IMO, though, it doesn't make any sense in this modern day and age.

But than again, my clients are Caucasian and they don't have issues with images.. humm.

It seems you are more careful about your high-ISO images then. Perhaps more constructive would be to educate the person (as others have done in that thread) instead of chastising him/her. Sometimes, as I mentioned above, it's simply honest ignorance that's the problem. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt until a pattern emerges that may make me rethink my attitude.

I totally agree and even liked your comment!

However, I went over to his flickr account and he/she has no information or even a self explanation about his profile had me doubting.

-- hide signature --
 taz98spin's gear list:taz98spin's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S +8 more
flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,001Gear list
Like?

nixda wrote:

I agree that there are issues. All systems have them. I am also sure that this forum has helped improve the system in that Fuji do watch what is going on. Valid comments about performance are needed.

An example. One issue is presented as 'plastic' and that is the catch phrase that has caught on. As you rightly say, the real id of the issue is that some/many people complain about what they consider excessive noise reduction at high iso in the jpg engine. Processing from RAW or shooting at lower iso does not cause this.

There are many other threads along these lines.

Relative newcomers to the forum seeking info on the system then latch on to the catch phrases.

I am not saying these topics should not be discussed, just the tone/content seems way off from some people.

I came here as an experienced DSLR shooter and had to really sort out the wheat from the chaff. I'm glad I did as its a great system. But then I had the experience to be able to do that.

On Edit, I do believe this problem is worse here than in some of the other forums.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
gskolenda
Contributing MemberPosts: 746Gear list
Like?

flbrit wrote:

Just be careful forum. It starts off as fun then gains traction and can do damage.

Not saying some 'facts' exist but the framing of the discussion and continual misrepresentation will damage the brand.

Brian

It's our job to differentiate the facts, stated in any Review, Public Forum, or Blog. If you start to control what you want said, then the freedom of expression will be tainted. Not good, leave well enough alone and let us as members or frequent guests sort out the facts.

When I find a place that I converse in and it's controlled or there are too many Forum Nazi'z, I'm pretty much done with it because now it's lost it's freedom of speech and trust.

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,418Gear list
Like?

It's unfortunate that there are a number of threads started which are along the lines of "This camera is no good, it doesn't do XYZ" when in fact, that title should be "Please help, I haven't bothered to read the manual and I don't know how to use this camera". Because people skim thread titles, a completely wrong impression can be given.

I set this aside from genuine issues, btw, where a manufacturer's claim clearly isn't being fulfilled.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to gskolenda, 7 months ago

gskolenda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

Just be careful forum. It starts off as fun then gains traction and can do damage.

Not saying some 'facts' exist but the framing of the discussion and continual misrepresentation will damage the brand.

Brian

It's our job to differentiate the facts, stated in any Review, Public Forum, or Blog. If you start to control what you want said, then the freedom of expression will be tainted. Not good, leave well enough alone and let us as members or frequent guests sort out the facts.

When I find a place that I converse in and it's controlled or there are too many Forum Nazi'z, I'm pretty much done with it because now it's lost it's freedom of speech and trust.

Best post I've read in a LOOOOONG time.

Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?

flbrit wrote:

Brian

I'm happy with the Canon, Sony and Fuji I have! I can't stand it! Got to buy a Hasselblad Lunar to get into the right frame of mind.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +2 more
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,470Gear list
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 7 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

gskolenda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

Brian

I agree, but he might find this place unsuitable in the long run.

I was asked by a DPR staff member to PM my findings and opinion on the new XT1 because they knew my opinions would be unbiased and straight forward. When I asked, why in a PM, why not post them on the forum? The answer I got came down to their expectation of people's reaction to unbiased criticism in this forum, what it leads to, and how they would like to see me stay out of this sort of trouble.

Bottom line, anything negative tends to be jumped on, and if you dare fight off the trolls, well, they have an inside guy...

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to TThorne, 7 months ago

TThorne wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

gskolenda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

Brian

I agree, but he might find this place unsuitable in the long run.

Or even the short term.

I was asked by a DPR staff member to PM my findings and opinion on the new XT1 because they knew my opinions would be unbiased and straight forward. When I asked, why in a PM, why not post them on the forum? The answer I got came down to their expectation of people's reaction to unbiased criticism in this forum, what it leads to, and how they would like to see me stay out of this sort of trouble.

Bottom line, anything negative tends to be jumped on, and if you dare fight off the trolls, well, they have an inside guy...

Insidious.

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,231Gear list
Like?
In reply to taz98spin, 7 months ago

taz98spin wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

I know.. I thought my internet browser was acting up, because I couldn't verify where the focus was and couldn't see the EXIF data.

-- hide signature --

On the m43 forum, due to images posted on DPR in comparing cameras, there is a belief that fuji applies NR to RAW.  Yes, it is all over, I even bought into thst one when viewing the DPR images.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,231Gear list
Like?

nixda wrote:

taz98spin wrote:

nixda wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

And people hated the 100s vs the 100

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

flbrit
Like?
In reply to gskolenda, 7 months ago

gskolenda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

Brian

WOW! Nazi! Really!

LOL

Brian

Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
Graham Hill
Like?

flbrit wrote:

gskolenda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

Brian

WOW! Nazi! Really!

LOL

Brian

We are not surprised that you fail to understand.

Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 7 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

flbrit wrote:

gskolenda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

Brian

WOW! Nazi! Really!

LOL

Brian

I some wise person said that whoever uses the "Nazi-card" first usually looses the argument.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +2 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,418Gear list
Like?
Godwin's Law
In reply to Alohaman, 7 months ago

Alohaman wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

flbrit wrote:

gskolenda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

Brian

WOW! Nazi! Really!

LOL

Brian

I some wise person said that whoever uses the "Nazi-card" first usually looses the argument.

Nothing about winning or losing an argument, everything about thread length and probability

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
flbrit
Like?
Re: Godwin's Law
In reply to 57LowRider, 7 months ago

Well, go to the foot of our stairs! Another learning experience. Thanks.

Brian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads