Memes and Trolling

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,125Gear list
Like?
Memes and Trolling
10 months ago

Just be careful forum. It starts off as fun then gains traction and can do damage.

Not saying some 'facts' exist but the framing of the discussion and continual misrepresentation will damage the brand.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +7 more
michelowski
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: Memes and Trolling
In reply to flbrit, 10 months ago

Oh god, my X-T1 is broken I see nothing when I use flash... Oh god, is my X-Pro1 going to die, it got hit by a raindrop and it's not weather sealed... Oh god I've got the orbs... Oh god I took a picture of leaves and now they look like green makkaroni - -  Is that what you mean?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,125Gear list
Like?
In reply to michelowski, 10 months ago

michelowski wrote:

Oh god, my X-T1 is broken I see nothing when I use flash... Oh god, is my X-Pro1 going to die, it got hit by a raindrop and it's not weather sealed... Oh god I've got the orbs... Oh god I took a picture of leaves and now they look like green makkaroni - - Is that what you mean?

Yep, that's what I meme. Plus the dreaded skin disorder. 

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +7 more
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,906Gear list
Like?

flbrit wrote:

michelowski wrote:

Oh god, my X-T1 is broken I see nothing when I use flash... Oh god, is my X-Pro1 going to die, it got hit by a raindrop and it's not weather sealed... Oh god I've got the orbs... Oh god I took a picture of leaves and now they look like green makkaroni - - Is that what you mean?

I am really worried about the 86,000 PDAF pixels that critically impair the color reproduction capabilities of the latest sensors.

Also, we all know that raw converters cannot process X-Trans files.

Seriously, though, many of these 'issues' are simply based on ignorance. But it is a bit frightening that they are oftentimes presented by people coming from other systems and looking at the Fuji cameras for the first time. There is a lot of misconceptions floating around on the Interweb, but it's no different for any other camera system.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
DocetLector
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?

agree 100% ! Just recently a guy opened up a thread about waxy skin tones, showing a photo which was out of focus, way off WB and badly exposed. I would really like to know if those people do have Fuji gear because it is so easy to open up a new thread in another forum, claiming I have a camera this or that brand. Who can verify ? May be just trolls!

DocetLector's gear list:DocetLector's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +1 more
britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191Gear list
Like?
In reply to DocetLector, 10 months ago

DocetLector wrote:

agree 100% ! Just recently a guy opened up a thread about waxy skin tones, showing a photo which was out of focus, way off WB and badly exposed. I would really like to know if those people do have Fuji gear because it is so easy to open up a new thread in another forum, claiming I have a camera this or that brand. Who can verify ? May be just trolls!

No exif either .... hmmmmmmm

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Rich S (britcam)

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +8 more
taz98spin
Contributing MemberPosts: 526Gear list
Like?

DocetLector wrote:

I know.. I thought my internet browser was acting up, because I couldn't verify where the focus was and couldn't see the EXIF data.

-- hide signature --
 taz98spin's gear list:taz98spin's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S +8 more
nixda
Like?

DocetLector wrote:

There are trollish topics, for sure, but that one isn't one of them. The plasticky skin rendition is a well-known flaw in the JPEG engine of the newer cameras. Whether it's blown out of proportion is another matter, but for JPEG shooters it is a legitimate problem.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
DocetLector
Like?
In reply to nixda, 10 months ago

To me there is a difference. The Fuji cameras get regurarely bashed by people who are rooted in different other forums, claiming that they have also a Fuji camera (who really knows?)just not to be recogniced as trolls. I think those people are just frustrated that Fuji is doing so well and get mainly positive feedback. I am certainly not a Fuji fanboy as I do most of my photography with my Canon G11 and only for more serious work I still use my S3 pro.

Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +1 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

nixda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

michelowski wrote:

I am really worried about the 86,000 PDAF pixels that critically impair the color reproduction capabilities of the latest sensors.

Seriously, though, many of these 'issues' are simply based on ignorance. But it is a bit frightening that they are oftentimes presented by people coming from other systems and looking at the Fuji cameras for the first time. There is a lot of misconceptions floating around on the Interweb, but it's no different for any other camera system.

If those 'issues' are simply based on ignorance then why do you see them raised time and again only in the Fuji forum, also are you saying that Fuji user are ignorant?

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to taz98spin, 10 months ago

taz98spin wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

I know.. I thought my internet browser was acting up, because I couldn't verify where the focus was and couldn't see the EXIF data.

-- hide signature --

The focus point was clearly visible in that sample however it wasn't where the photographer expected it to be.

the waxy skin tone is a very real issue under some lighting.

taz98spin
Like?
I'm a JPEG shooter

nixda wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

There are trollish topics, for sure, but that one isn't one of them. The plasticky skin rendition is a well-known flaw in the JPEG engine of the newer cameras. Whether it's blown out of proportion is another matter, but for JPEG shooters it is a legitimate problem.

I'm a JPEG shooter. Even for weddings, engagements, and studio sessions, I use JPEGs only.

I have deadlines to meet for my clients, and a full time job outside of photography, so I try to get everything right in camera, so I can spend minimum time in photoshop.

However, I've never had issues with plasticky skin as bad as the other thread showed. It looks like the photo was out of focus, and he adjusted the clarity setting to the extreme.

Besides, if waxy skin is a such a well-known issue, shoulnd't owners of the Fuji cameras should avoid high ISO or shoot RAW or use a flash?

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S +8 more
nixda
Like?
In reply to LWS2013, 10 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:

nixda wrote:

flbrit wrote:

michelowski wrote:

If those 'issues' are simply based on ignorance then why do you see them raised time and again only in the Fuji forum, also are you saying that Fuji user are ignorant?

When I was using a Canon as my primary camera, I saw plenty of similar behavior there. When I check into something about our D7000, I see plenty of trollish or ignorant behavior in the Nikon forum. I do not think the Fuji forum is any different.

nixda
Like?
Re: I'm a JPEG shooter
In reply to taz98spin, 10 months ago

taz98spin wrote:

nixda wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

I'm a JPEG shooter. Even for weddings, engagements, and studio sessions, I use JPEGs only.

I have deadlines to meet for my clients, and a full time job outside of photography, so I try to get everything right in camera, so I can spend minimum time in photoshop.

However, I've never had issues with plasticky skin as bad as the other thread showed. It looks like the photo was out of focus, and he adjusted the clarity setting to the extreme.

Besides, if waxy skin is a such a well-known issue, shoulnd't owners of the Fuji cameras should avoid high ISO or shoot RAW or use a flash?

That is better discussed in the other threads that deal with the subject, but yes, your suggestion is quite valid. However, a lot of people are ticked off by the fact that the X-Pro1 and the X-E1 do not show that behavior nearly as bad (if at all) as the X-E2. It has less to do with shooting technique than with Fuji's implementation of the JPEG engine. They as much as admitted that they render images to satisfy certain markets, which might not satisfy other markets.

DocetLector
Like?

You stated that this poster is not a troll so perhaps you know him or her. But to me it is a trollish post because if somebody is showing such a bad picture claiming it is all the fault of the camera and not even add exif data - what else can I think of? If somebody who is eventually considering to buy a Fuji camera because of good reviews and seeing this picture he might run away and buy another brand. Even if it`s 80% the fault of the person behind the camera.

nixda
Like?

DocetLector wrote:

To me there is a difference. The Fuji cameras get regurarely bashed by people who are rooted in different other forums, claiming that they have also a Fuji camera (who really knows?)just not to be recogniced as trolls. I think those people are just frustrated that Fuji is doing so well and get mainly positive feedback. I am certainly not a Fuji fanboy as I do most of my photography with my Canon G11 and only for more serious work I still use my S3 pro.

IMO, it goes both ways and it evens out in the end.

The other side is that there are plenty of people trying to tell others that all they need is a Fuji camera. Likewise for pretty much any other brand. We all feel strongly about our purchases and want to make them appear in the best light, even if it means downplaying flaws. It's a self-protection mechanism to give us the impression (or illusion) that we made the right choice about spending our hard-earned money and committing to something.

Just like reading reviews on Amazon, one has to take everything out there with a grain of salt. We are all mature people who can deal with exaggerated claims and sift through them to get to the valid morsels, aren't we

taz98spin
Like?

DocetLector wrote:

You stated that this poster is not a troll so perhaps you know him or her. But to me it is a trollish post because if somebody is showing such a bad picture claiming it is all the fault of the camera and not even add exif data - what else can I think of? If somebody who is eventually considering to buy a Fuji camera because of good reviews and seeing this picture he might run away and buy another brand. Even if it`s 80% the fault of the person behind the camera.

I even clicked on his Flickr link and there is no profile or list of gear he uses.

& I agree, why post such a bad photo without any background information??

-- hide signature --
nixda
Like?

DocetLector wrote:

You stated that this poster is not a troll so perhaps you know him or her. But to me it is a trollish post because if somebody is showing such a bad picture claiming it is all the fault of the camera and not even add exif data - what else can I think of?

I did not say anything about whether the person is a troll or not. What I did say is that the concern as a whole is valid. Regardless of that one example. There are many examples of the plasticky skin rendering effect on this an other forums.

If somebody who is eventually considering to buy a Fuji camera because of good reviews and seeing this picture he might run away and buy another brand. Even if it`s 80% the fault of the person behind the camera.

If someone, based on that one image, makes a decision against the Fuji, then s/he can't be helped. If its the fault of the person behind the camera, and the prospective buyer doesn't realize or accept that, then, IMO, it's his/her problem, not the person's problem who presented the flawed image.

taz98spin
Like?
Re: I'm a JPEG shooter

nixda wrote:

taz98spin wrote:

nixda wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

That is better discussed in the other threads that deal with the subject, but yes, your suggestion is quite valid. However, a lot of people are ticked off by the fact that the X-Pro1 and the X-E1 do not show that behavior nearly as bad (if at all) as the X-E2. It has less to do with shooting technique than with Fuji's implementation of the JPEG engine. They as much as admitted that they render images to satisfy certain markets, which might not satisfy other markets.

Didn't know about that fact. Well, I'm Asian, so maybe that's why I like the JPEGS?

But than again, my clients are Caucasian and they don't have issues with images.. humm..

-- hide signature --
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,107
Like?

DocetLector wrote:

To me there is a difference. The Fuji cameras get regurarely bashed by people who are rooted in different other forums,

I don't know about that. It's very prevalent on certain other forums. Sony makes lousy lenses. Micro 4/3 sensor are small & noisy. Lots of battling between those camps. But at the same time, as mirrorless systems become closer to DSLRs in their capabilities, it gets harder to dismiss them and there's increasing respect for "other" brands from people who use other systems - at least from DSLR users. I think that's even more pronounced for Fuji. I think there are plenty of people who aren't shooting Fuji who admire what the company is doing. (Count me as one of them). There will always be fanboys.

And the memes work both ways, too ... "Fuji designs cameras for photographers". It kind of takes on a life of its own, but is rooted in truth.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads