Looking for a therapy group for pixel peepers

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
spinellino
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?
Print more!
In reply to darkdirtydwarf, 8 months ago

I'm also always not quite completely happy with my current gear, but I find that when printing almost every little defect that seems huge on screen becomes barely noticeable (if at all) .

-- hide signature --

MY WEBSITE:
www.marcospinelli.com

spinellino's gear list:spinellino's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
darkdirtydwarf
Contributing MemberPosts: 740Gear list
Like?
Re: Print more!
In reply to spinellino, 8 months ago

spinellino wrote:

I'm also always not quite completely happy with my current gear, but I find that when printing almost every little defect that seems huge on screen becomes barely noticeable (if at all) .

I did print some images, but then got worried about the colour difference between the prints and my calibrated monitor (look at the blue shirt of the girl in the image below, second row from the bottom in the middle: totally off! )

I'm hopeless!

Anyway good point. I have 20k pictures, and printed only these 50:

My life in 50 pictures

darkdirtydwarf's gear list:darkdirtydwarf's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
ebuddha
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
Re: Looking for a therapy group for pixel peepers

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

1) I need better light bulbs in my home

2) I need to get out more (if the sun would shine more often it would be easier to do...).

over the winter (here in Chicago) i've been looking at a thread on FredMiranda's alt gear forum that is up to nearly 200 pages of A7(r) photos - no pixel peeping, just great photos posted.  it's been great therapy.

i've written to a few of the photogs and inquired about post-processing / technique, etc

the common refrain in their replies was 'they look for great light'

and it got me thinking about how 'winter light' (if you live somewhere that it is not gray and blah) is beautiful.  a lot of the photos are from Europe where they've had a mild winter.

my suggestion is wait for the great light and make sure your shutter speed is fast enough so that camera shake (a little as there may be) doesn't soften your photos.  this is probably a bigger issue indoors, but is just as applicable outdoors.

darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to ebuddha, 8 months ago

ebuddha wrote:

over the winter (here in Chicago) i've been looking at a thread on FredMiranda's alt gear forum that is up to nearly 200 pages of A7(r) photos - no pixel peeping, just great photos posted. it's been great therapy.

do you remember the link? I'm interested.

i've written to a few of the photogs and inquired about post-processing / technique, etc

the common refrain in their replies was 'they look for great light'

Which is a very good tip indeed

my suggestion is wait for the great light

well, as frustrating as it sounds, I did find the perfect light few weeks ago. I did even find the perfect subject and the perfect framing. It could have been my best shot in a long time.

Pity I was on the highway driving at 180km/h and I had no chance to either stop or go back before the magic moment was gone. I did take a picture in my head though. It's awesome. I only wish I could post it on flickr..

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,658Gear list
Like?

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Pixel peeping is good, I hate it when people complain about it. To the extent that it can improve your work, it's a good thing.

Yeah, the problem is that I invest too much time on it, instead of learning how to use light better, or frame/crop in a more interesting way (especially when I us AF).

That being said, I had an Ultron 40 - nice overall rendering and sharpness. However, I thought the CAs were very high.

I live in a dark world without light, I don't even remember what colours are. CA therefore is a non-issue for me, at least till the better season

I'm not sure what that means exactly. Ha ha.

(And LightRoom can fix that automagically these days )

Not really, it can only do so much. For instance, when you're shooting winter trees against a grey/overcast sky for instance, it goes crazy on you and is very hard to get rid of in LR without ruining your image.

I'm just sayin - if you can afford it, the FE35 is a nice improvement over the Ultron 40. I enjoyed the 40 a lot and have made some memorable images with it, but I'm liking the little Sonnar even more.

darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 8 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

I live in a dark world without light, I don't even remember what colours are. CA therefore is a non-issue for me, at least till the better season

Well when I go to work it's still dark and when I come back it's dark again.

On weekend it's more or less always bad weather or I'm busy repairing something in the house or similar.

Not really, it can only do so much. For instance, when you're shooting winter trees against a grey/overcast sky for instance, it goes crazy on you and is very hard to get rid of in LR without ruining your image.

mmm, that's a though call, I agree. But the Ultron does not too bad in that case (try a Minolta AF 100-300, not the APO version). Anyway for that kind of shot better use some other lens then

I'm just sayin - if you can afford it, the FE35 is a nice improvement over the Ultron 40. I enjoyed the 40 a lot and have made some memorable images with it, but I'm liking the little Sonnar even more.

hey, I just got the Ultron!

But the FE35 is in the works, so to say (I'm waiting to be send by my company somewhere in Asia or a kind colleague who can grab it for me there for a more reasonable price )

stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,658Gear list
Like?

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Well when I go to work it's still dark and when I come back it's dark again.

On weekend it's more or less always bad weather or I'm busy repairing something in the house or similar.

Ah - I get it.

mmm, that's a though call, I agree. But the Ultron does not too bad in that case (try a Minolta AF 100-300, not the APO version). Anyway for that kind of shot better use some other lens then

Did you buy mine? I just shipped it off to Princeton New Jersey. It's a very high resolving lens, I was very pleased with it. The FE35 just kind of rendered it unnecessary.

But the FE35 is in the works, so to say (I'm waiting to be send by my company somewhere in Asia or a kind colleague who can grab it for me there for a more reasonable price )

Cool.

ebuddha
Like?

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

ebuddha wrote:

over the winter (here in Chicago) i've been looking at a thread on FredMiranda's alt gear forum that is up to nearly 200 pages of A7(r) photos - no pixel peeping, just great photos posted. it's been great therapy.

here's the link over at FM - it's only 161 pages now (not the 200 I quoted):

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248

Chris Malcolm
Contributing MemberPosts: 794Gear list
Like?

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

Chris Malcolm wrote:

Or a tripod.

Not gonna work, my son is faster than the dreaded 1/60s shutter speed that my Sony cameras like so much. Though if I master panning maybe...

Or a flashgun which can bounce flash and operate off camera. Or a good LED panel or two.

I do have the HVL-F60M, but I feel kinda ridiculous with it mounted on the A7 running after my child like a paparazzi. He's 18 months old, I'm trying not to traumatize him

As for external light, the A7 can't trigger the flash (though I could use the HVL-F60M to trigger the HVL-F58AM in a feast of blinding lights), as well as my NEX5N can't either. The A55 would do the trick (both decent built in flash and trigger capabilities), but my woman can stand only few shots per evening before yelling at me incomprehensible words in German...

I think the easiest solution is to exchange the two useless light's i have in the living room with something a tad brighter

If the two room lights are OK except for brightness, then strap a remote flashgun up into each lampshade. Or you might get acceptable results with two flashes bouncing off the ceiling from two diagonally opposite room corners.

-- hide signature --

Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm's gear list:Chris Malcolm's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +7 more
GregOB
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?

Great thread!!! I feel much better already!!!

Peeping got me to a Canon 6D, of which I have no regrets. I shoot often in indoor low light and can't use flash and the 6D is an excellent choice (I won't debate that there are other excellent choices - please accept that I acknowledge the 6D isn't the only camera in its price range that can do this).

But, I've been looking at compacts and mirrorless as the 6D simply isn't carried places I'd like to make higher quality photos. I pixel peep images from smaller sensor cameras and am just reminded of why I got the 6D in the first place. What is a girl to do??? STOP PIXEL PEEPING???

One thing I realized, as noted earlier in this thread, is the light makes a huge difference. Good light seems to lead to cleaner photos regardless of sensor size and bad light is only overcome (and even then only to an extent) by full frame or larger sensor cameras.

And there is a fine line, where small sensor cameras are concerned, between legitimate cropping and pixel peeping. It doesn't take much of a crop on a 12mp small sensor artificial light image to have it fall apart. This is not pixel peeping IMHO.

Ugh!!!

Again, thank you for this thread and. Believe not PPing is even more relevant where small sensor cameras are concerned.

rsurya23
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?
In reply to GregOB, 8 months ago

Good thread! I used to be heavy pixel peeper! What worked for me is to step away from photography and not ooking at them for 1 or 2 days and when i get back i appreciate my gear and the final product much more!

rsurya23's gear list:rsurya23's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to Chris Malcolm, 8 months ago

Chris Malcolm wrote:

If the two room lights are OK except for brightness, then strap a remote flashgun up into each lampshade. Or you might get acceptable results with two flashes bouncing off the ceiling from two diagonally opposite room corners.

mmm, then I need to get a trigger for my flashes.

And a pair of shades for my son

darkdirtydwarf
Like?

stevo23 wrote:

Ah - I get it.

Not that I miss the times where I wasn't a dad with a loan to pay surfing on the French coast, but my life has changed a little

I'm slowly equipping myself to create a sort of studio so I can at least do some macro work in the basement in the few minutes of free time I have. Though I have a huge backlog of images I never looked at and that I would like to upload on flickr first (a bit of CC and shoulder patting is always good for the ego )

Did you buy mine? I just shipped it off to Princeton New Jersey. It's a very high resolving lens, I was very pleased with it. The FE35 just kind of rendered it unnecessary.

no no, I'm in Europe

But yes, they are very close lenses. The 35 is just somewhat too short for me. Though since I want *at least* one FF AF lens for the A7, I don't have much choice (55 is not an option, as I have a Minolta 58mm F1.2 and a Hexanon 57mm F1.2 and I'm taking them both with me to the grave!).

Cool.

It would be if my boss didn't leave me behind for a trip to Singapore... For now I'm gonna get have to make do with some cheese from a colleague flying to Italy...

darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to GregOB, 8 months ago

GregOB wrote:

Great thread!!! I feel much better already!!!

I'm glad to hear that!

Peeping got me to a Canon 6D, of which I have no regrets. I shoot often in indoor low light and can't use flash and the 6D is an excellent choice (I won't debate that there are other excellent choices - please accept that I acknowledge the 6D isn't the only camera in its price range that can do this).

don't worry, we're all friends here!

One thing I realized, as noted earlier in this thread, is the light makes a huge difference. Good light seems to lead to cleaner photos regardless of sensor size and bad light is only overcome (and even then only to an extent) by full frame or larger sensor cameras.

yes, I agree, light is the key. That's why I decided it's time to start learning flash photography. Given the lack of light I'm suffering from, I decided that available light photography can't be my only creed

Again, thank you for this thread

you're welcome!

darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to rsurya23, 8 months ago

rsurya23 wrote:

Good thread! I used to be heavy pixel peeper! What worked for me is to step away from photography and not ooking at them for 1 or 2 days and when i get back i appreciate my gear and the final product much more!

That's another good suggestion! I should write them all down in a short essay. I could get rich!

darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to ebuddha, 8 months ago

ebuddha wrote:

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

here's the link over at FM - it's only 161 pages now (not the 200 I quoted):

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248

Thanks! I'm really curious to have a look at it!

ebuddha
Like?
Re: Print more!
In reply to spinellino, 8 months ago

spinellino wrote:

-- hide signature --

MY WEBSITE:
www.marcospinelli.com

What mp size files and what size print?

daqk
Regular MemberPosts: 345
Like?

Checked out your flickr and love those pictures.

Are all the flowers from your NEX 16F2.8?

darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to daqk, 8 months ago

daqk wrote:

Checked out your flickr and love those pictures.

Thank you very much!

Are all the flowers from your NEX 16F2.8?

Not at all! Those were made ages ago with my old Nikon Coolpix E3500! Just 3.2MP

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to darkdirtydwarf, 5 months ago

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

I keep being slightly unhappy with the quality of my images, always pixel peeping and being disappointed by noise, blurred images and lack of detail even using an Ultron 40mm on an A7.

I usually think it's my fault, bad technique or something. By chance I had a close look to one of the few images took in the sun outside few months back and realized:

2) I need to get out more (if the sun would shine more often it would be easier to do...).

All this just by checking an image taken with my "old" (but always loyal) NEX5N and the "crappy" SEL16F28...

If you know any therapy group for pixel peepers, please give me the phone number!

Count me in if you start the PP Anonymous... or GAS Anonymous... GAS&PP...

Although, three months after you started this thread these look like old eradicated syndroms... nowadays we have Fan Boys Projects...

It's all Rave Clubs, no Alan Parson sound... Pity !

5nex7's gear list:5nex7's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads