D600 / D610 - A camera for the masses

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,370Gear list
Like?
Re: Well,
In reply to rhlpetrus, 5 months ago

rhlpetrus wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

Masses in my dictionary should mean a very large group of people interested in photography.

Renato.

Feel free to start you're own thread with your parameters. I started this one with parimeters that I clarified as being for full frame Nikon purchasers. So within Nikon's current lineup of full frame bodies, I figured the D600 / D610 would be the one that appealed to the broadest spectrum. So what if I'm wrong. But do tell me which one of D3X, D4, Df, D800/e you feel has the broadest appeal to the most purchasers?? Go ahead. Or would you still prefer to argue over the "definition"?.

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

D610 is selling below D800, according to Amazon. I'm not in the business of defining each camera's appeal or market, I just checked the figures from one relevant source. Nikon actually is looking pretty badvoverall in the ILC market, if Amazon is representative of overall sales, especially re FF market.nIt seems, from the split of cameras used by pj/documentary photogs that entered the World Press competition in 2013 (over 90 k entries), Nikon is doing very poorly, especially the latter models, like D800 and D4. D700 is still the Nikon most used by those people. Not rwlated to your post, but it indicates Nikon must rethink their strategies.

-- hide signature --

Renato.

You're missing the point. I'm saying it is targeted at the masses ( again, within Nikon's full frame line up to avoid that confusion ) not that it is outselling anything.  You're talking about the biggest seller; I'm not. I'll start a thread that says"Renato pick of camera for the masses - D800 based on sales" if you want. Just let me know

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587Gear list
Like?
Re: I would have bought it if.....
In reply to Martin Datzinger, 5 months ago

I have been using CF cards for over 15 years now. Not a single bent pin.

On the other hands I lost SD cards from small cameras I have and security switch broke on many. No way I would use SD card professionally.

 SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: D600 / D610 - A camera for the masses
In reply to Humours Dip, 5 months ago

Humours Dip wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Humours Dip wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Humours Dip wrote:

scokill wrote:

Humours Dip wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Can't get into replying to the troll.

Thing is a D610 is a camera for the masses. Same as the VW bug was in it's day, a 6 cyl Mustang as opposed to a V8, a 600cc snowmobile.

They are not meant to be the best of anything. Just an affordable option for those that can't / won't spend the money on the top tier ones, or don't need the feature set of them. Same goes for household appliances, furniture, computers, clothing, and just about anything else you can buy.

Affordable, reasonable amount of features, never top of the line. Nothing wrong with that. And a perfect camera for those whose requirements match the features offered. High enough mp for most, good DR, light weight, U1 and U2 modes, reasonable AF.

Hardly required a thread insulting those that bought it.

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

It is far too expensive to be for the masses, outside wealthy America anyway. But it is a superb camera, far from entry level.

I see "non-wealthy" Americans walking out of every electronics store in America with a flat screen TV costing about the same.

I think it is the same in the UK. But a TV is for the family and I assume these people watch it every evening. So, as you say ...

Just a matter of priorities I guess.

I think you Americans do have more spare cash. It is amazing how many use high end pro gear to take snapshots of their kids doing sports.

that is a generalisation based on no fact. many people throughout the world work long and hard to Earn their money and some will use some of it to reward themselves, a new camera / lens. Apart from helping drive the economy, and others jobs, it gives the opportunity for great creativity and expression.

Actually it is based on fact. I could not believe how much graduates could earn in the US straight after college. Yours is a wealthy country. And look at UK and US forums, and you quickly see the difference.

while i will not get into a political debate, you do not base an idea of the wealth of a population on 1 (dubious) statistic.

It was just one example. But I am not interested in word play. The truth is that there is a sizeable middle class who spend a lot of money on expensive cameras, more so than the UK.

You present no evidence for this. Just because you say something is true dose not mean it is.

Wealth is a very difficult metric to measure. Your statistic for example tells nothing of the wealth of a population. Not that it matters but i am not from the USA.

If you want a better understanding of economics of countries i can suggest you read the FT.

You are trying to take a simple remark, and use it for a fight. Find someone else to argue with.

no i am pointing out that you claim something to be a fact yet have no evidence, so you do not know at all.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bruce Granofsky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012Gear list
Like?
Yap or Snap.
In reply to T O Shooter, 5 months ago

Wow.

Someone reading these threads would think that camera aficionados are the most hateful neurotic and spiteful of all hobbyists.

 Bruce Granofsky's gear list:Bruce Granofsky's gear list
Sony RX1 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Leica M Typ 240 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
swestphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 / D610 - A camera for the masses
In reply to T O Shooter, 5 months ago

Sorry but, the D600/D610 isn't for the masses... maybe the majority of enthusiast photographers though.

Great camera, I absolutely love it. But you won't see them walking around unless you're in a room full of photographers. You'll see people shooting with their iphones more and a canon powershot or something.

I got it for the dynamic range and noise performance, the combination is almost magical to me. 2000$ was within reach but still hard for me to save up for.
I have some complaints about features, but I hope those will be resolved with a new release soon. The focus area, lack of PC port, no remote jack, the live view is horrible for refresh rate and doesn't show you the exposure. Live view is worthless basically... #1 complaint out of all. I miss live view more than anything else.
I wound up wasting money on a light meter because I have to guess at exposures since my camera won't show me what I'm shooting... what's the point of live view?? So angry about that, but the performance of the camera overcomes all that.

As for the arguing... I hate people who argue just to argue. There is no shortage of them on the internet. Don't bother talking to them...

 swestphotos's gear list:swestphotos's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Yap or Snap. Best Post of last three days!
In reply to Bruce Granofsky, 5 months ago

Bruce Granofsky wrote:

Wow.

Someone reading these threads would think that camera aficionados are the most hateful neurotic and spiteful of all hobbyists.

+ 1 Million. Absolutely bang on and it is sad really. One has to wonder.

Best Post of last three days!

Take Care.

 Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,370Gear list
Like?
I don't suffer fools gladly,
In reply to Bruce Granofsky, 5 months ago

Bruce Granofsky wrote:

Wow.

Someone reading these threads would think that camera aficionados are the most hateful neurotic and spiteful of all hobbyists.

and I'm sure you've had your moments.

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Humours Dip
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352
Like?
Re: D600 / D610 - A camera for the masses
In reply to golf1982, 5 months ago

golf1982 wrote:

Humours Dip wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Humours Dip wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Humours Dip wrote:

scokill wrote:

Humours Dip wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Can't get into replying to the troll.

Thing is a D610 is a camera for the masses. Same as the VW bug was in it's day, a 6 cyl Mustang as opposed to a V8, a 600cc snowmobile.

They are not meant to be the best of anything. Just an affordable option for those that can't / won't spend the money on the top tier ones, or don't need the feature set of them. Same goes for household appliances, furniture, computers, clothing, and just about anything else you can buy.

Affordable, reasonable amount of features, never top of the line. Nothing wrong with that. And a perfect camera for those whose requirements match the features offered. High enough mp for most, good DR, light weight, U1 and U2 modes, reasonable AF.

Hardly required a thread insulting those that bought it.

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

It is far too expensive to be for the masses, outside wealthy America anyway. But it is a superb camera, far from entry level.

I see "non-wealthy" Americans walking out of every electronics store in America with a flat screen TV costing about the same.

I think it is the same in the UK. But a TV is for the family and I assume these people watch it every evening. So, as you say ...

Just a matter of priorities I guess.

I think you Americans do have more spare cash. It is amazing how many use high end pro gear to take snapshots of their kids doing sports.

that is a generalisation based on no fact. many people throughout the world work long and hard to Earn their money and some will use some of it to reward themselves, a new camera / lens. Apart from helping drive the economy, and others jobs, it gives the opportunity for great creativity and expression.

Actually it is based on fact. I could not believe how much graduates could earn in the US straight after college. Yours is a wealthy country. And look at UK and US forums, and you quickly see the difference.

while i will not get into a political debate, you do not base an idea of the wealth of a population on 1 (dubious) statistic.

It was just one example. But I am not interested in word play. The truth is that there is a sizeable middle class who spend a lot of money on expensive cameras, more so than the UK.

You present no evidence for this. Just because you say something is true dose not mean it is.

Just look at photo forums in the UK and the US and you will see that the US posters have far more disposable income.

Wealth is a very difficult metric to measure. Your statistic for example tells nothing of the wealth of a population. Not that it matters but i am not from the USA.

If you want a better understanding of economics of countries i can suggest you read the FT.

You are trying to take a simple remark, and use it for a fight. Find someone else to argue with.

no i am pointing out that you claim something to be a fact yet have no evidence, so you do not know at all.

Nonsense. Look at measures such as average GDP per head and you will see that the US is a wealthy nation. It is a basic fact.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Humours Dip
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352
Like?
Re: Yap or Snap.
In reply to Bruce Granofsky, 5 months ago

Bruce Granofsky wrote:

Wow.

Someone reading these threads would think that camera aficionados are the most hateful neurotic and spiteful of all hobbyists.

Any fool can drop a pile of dosh  on a camera and have an opinion. No skill needed. Oddly enough, when I look at the most vociferous posters, then look at their photos, I do wonder why anyone takes them seriously.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,268Gear list
Like?
FX is somewhere aroud 8% of DSLR sales for Nikon...
In reply to golf1982, 5 months ago

About the same as back in 2008. Does the significance of this elude you? The D600/610 were clearly aimed at increasing the FX share of Nikon's DSLR market. In fact, the D800/E and D600/D610 were meant to do that and steal share from Canon. It didn't work. Nikon has to hit the reset button on their product development and marketing, and soon.

-- hide signature --

Jim

 JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: D600 / D610 - A camera for the masses
In reply to Humours Dip, 5 months ago

Humours Dip wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Humours Dip wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Humours Dip wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Humours Dip wrote:

scokill wrote:

Humours Dip wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Can't get into replying to the troll.

Thing is a D610 is a camera for the masses. Same as the VW bug was in it's day, a 6 cyl Mustang as opposed to a V8, a 600cc snowmobile.

They are not meant to be the best of anything. Just an affordable option for those that can't / won't spend the money on the top tier ones, or don't need the feature set of them. Same goes for household appliances, furniture, computers, clothing, and just about anything else you can buy.

Affordable, reasonable amount of features, never top of the line. Nothing wrong with that. And a perfect camera for those whose requirements match the features offered. High enough mp for most, good DR, light weight, U1 and U2 modes, reasonable AF.

Hardly required a thread insulting those that bought it.

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

It is far too expensive to be for the masses, outside wealthy America anyway. But it is a superb camera, far from entry level.

I see "non-wealthy" Americans walking out of every electronics store in America with a flat screen TV costing about the same.

I think it is the same in the UK. But a TV is for the family and I assume these people watch it every evening. So, as you say ...

Just a matter of priorities I guess.

I think you Americans do have more spare cash. It is amazing how many use high end pro gear to take snapshots of their kids doing sports.

that is a generalisation based on no fact. many people throughout the world work long and hard to Earn their money and some will use some of it to reward themselves, a new camera / lens. Apart from helping drive the economy, and others jobs, it gives the opportunity for great creativity and expression.

Actually it is based on fact. I could not believe how much graduates could earn in the US straight after college. Yours is a wealthy country. And look at UK and US forums, and you quickly see the difference.

while i will not get into a political debate, you do not base an idea of the wealth of a population on 1 (dubious) statistic.

It was just one example. But I am not interested in word play. The truth is that there is a sizeable middle class who spend a lot of money on expensive cameras, more so than the UK.

You present no evidence for this. Just because you say something is true dose not mean it is.

Just look at photo forums in the UK and the US and you will see that the US posters have far more disposable income.

Wealth is a very difficult metric to measure. Your statistic for example tells nothing of the wealth of a population. Not that it matters but i am not from the USA.

If you want a better understanding of economics of countries i can suggest you read the FT.

You are trying to take a simple remark, and use it for a fight. Find someone else to argue with.

no i am pointing out that you claim something to be a fact yet have no evidence, so you do not know at all.

Nonsense. Look at measures such as average GDP per head and you will see that the US is a wealthy nation. It is a basic fact.

Clearly there is no point me trying to explain the complexity of comparing wealth between nations, or the importence of opinions based on balenced evidence to you.

No doubt you will post follow up comment as you clearly have to be last to post. If that makes you happy, good for you. I will refrain from responding further.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
Re: FX is somewhere aroud 8% of DSLR sales for Nikon...
In reply to JimPearce, 5 months ago

JimPearce wrote:

About the same as back in 2008. Does the significance of this elude you? The D600/610 were clearly aimed at increasing the FX share of Nikon's DSLR market. In fact, the D800/E and D600/D610 were meant to do that and steal share from Canon. It didn't work. Nikon has to hit the reset button on their product development and marketing, and soon.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Jim,

Kinda, sorta have to agree with you, although numbers may not tell the whole story. The techno-sands are shifting rapidly and it does seem like Nikon's blueprint for the future is murky. As someone else said, Canon is larger than Nikon and thus has bigger pockets for R&D and fortifying their existing lineup. Patents applied for by Nikon say 3 or 4 years ago may not look as good today as they did then. You've got to think way ahead of the curve and I'm not sure that's in Nikon's DNA. And they don't need another "niche" product right now if I follow your logic.

Stan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?
Re: Yap or Snap.
In reply to Bruce Granofsky, 5 months ago

Especially in this forum for some strange reason.

 ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?
Re: Yap or Snap.
In reply to Humours Dip, 5 months ago

It takes two to tango.

 ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bruce Granofsky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012Gear list
Like?
Re: Yap or Snap.
In reply to ravduc, 5 months ago

Agreed, and very strange.

The Leica forum has become VERY relaxed the last few years.

We had our troubles with quite a few trolls there, but after getting together and agreeing to ignore them, the trolls moved on.

(to here perhaps?)

Bruce

-- hide signature --

Keep the fun real.

 Bruce Granofsky's gear list:Bruce Granofsky's gear list
Sony RX1 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Leica M Typ 240 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bruce Granofsky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't suffer fools gladly,
In reply to T O Shooter, 5 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

Bruce Granofsky wrote:

Wow.

Someone reading these threads would think that camera aficionados are the most hateful neurotic and spiteful of all hobbyists.

and I'm sure you've had your moments.

Yup, sure have, and guilty as charged.

I've had my fair share of fights with trolls here and there.

(notice Neil/Linda hasn't been around lately?)

I've tangled and had my fun with Robert in the past, but I sent him some private messages and we made peace. (friends now on Facebook)

He's been dick'n with you guys for quite awhile for the pure fun of it.

Really, a nice guy with a good sense of humour when you get to know him.

Let's face it, it takes two or more to Tango, and feeding the trolls is just as bad/fun as trolling.

Don't get your buns in a knot, and enjoy!

Bruce

-- hide signature --

Keep the fun real.

 Bruce Granofsky's gear list:Bruce Granofsky's gear list
Sony RX1 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Leica M Typ 240 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: FX is somewhere aroud 8% of DSLR sales for Nikon...
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, 5 months ago

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

About the same as back in 2008. Does the significance of this elude you? The D600/610 were clearly aimed at increasing the FX share of Nikon's DSLR market. In fact, the D800/E and D600/D610 were meant to do that and steal share from Canon. It didn't work. Nikon has to hit the reset button on their product development and marketing, and soon.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Jim,

Kinda, sorta have to agree with you, although numbers may not tell the whole story. The techno-sands are shifting rapidly and it does seem like Nikon's blueprint for the future is murky. As someone else said, Canon is larger than Nikon and thus has bigger pockets for R&D and fortifying their existing lineup. Patents applied for by Nikon say 3 or 4 years ago may not look as good today as they did then. You've got to think way ahead of the curve and I'm not sure that's in Nikon's DNA. And they don't need another "niche" product right now if I follow your logic.

Stan

cannon have an equivalent to the 610, nikon would have been left behind if they had not made this camera. Nikons current pro lineup is really strong compared to cannon. even the D610 IQ is superior to the 5d3. I am not saying the cannons are bad cameras, but cannons IQ is currently significantly inferior to Nikons In most metrics. This suggests that cannon has not been spending enough in its R&D.

don't forget where nikon were pre D3, they have come a very long way in, is it 6 years?

regardIng thinking ahead of the curve Nikon did transition really effectively to digital, and i do not see any such significant transitions on the horizen.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?
Re: Yap or Snap.
In reply to Bruce Granofsky, 5 months ago

I hope so. It will happen when everyone understands that we all share the same passion, instead of tearing each other apart because we use differrent cameras or methods to express our creativity. This is the only forum that I have ever experienced where individuals accuse other's of being trolls, yet these 'trolls' use the same brand of cameras. Very negative and destructive. It always takes two to tango.

 ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
Re: I don't suffer fools gladly,
In reply to Bruce Granofsky, 5 months ago

Yup, sure have, and guilty as charged.

I've had my fair share of fights with trolls here and there.

(notice Neil/Linda hasn't been around lately?)

I've tangled and had my fun with Robert in the past, but I sent him some private messages and we made peace. (friends now on Facebook)

He's been dick'n with you guys for quite awhile for the pure fun of it.

Some of us have been dick'n with him right back, he's as thin-skinned as anyone here.

Really, a nice guy with a good sense of humour when you get to know him.

I'll pass, thank you. His sense of humor reminds me of a mortician. And I'm not so sure the real-life dude can be that much different than the internet dude, kind of impossible IMHO. But if you've broken bread with him and say it's so, then what is the point of him putting on such a psychotic/neurotic mask for us?. Oh, that's right, he's just dick'n with us.

Got it. Thanks again.

Regards,

Stan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,370Gear list
Like?
Disagree on Robert being a nice guy
In reply to Bruce Granofsky, 5 months ago

Bruce Granofsky wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Bruce Granofsky wrote:

Wow.

Someone reading these threads would think that camera aficionados are the most hateful neurotic and spiteful of all hobbyists.

and I'm sure you've had your moments.

Yup, sure have, and guilty as charged.

I've had my fair share of fights with trolls here and there.

(notice Neil/Linda hasn't been around lately?)

I've tangled and had my fun with Robert in the past, but I sent him some private messages and we made peace. (friends now on Facebook

He's been dick'n with you guys for quite awhile for the pure fun of it.

Not as much as I screw with him

Really, a nice guy with a good sense of humour when you get to know him.

Disagree with your assessment of Robert I get a kick out of him from time to time, and make a few posts at his expense. Livens it up a bit. He doesn't get into it with me because he knows my gear list trumps his, and he tends to tackle whom he perceives has gear inferior to his. And any person who makes fun of another because of their lot in live or they don't have the money to buy certain gear is not a nice person. That's crossing a line. I have a LOT of $$ in gear, but I don't lose sight of the fact that I'm very fortunate to be able to do that, and not everyone is in the same situation.

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads