Started 7 months ago | Discussions
fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 / D610 - A camera for the masses
In reply to T O Shooter, 7 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

Can't get into replying to the troll.

Thing is a D610 is a camera for the masses. Same as the VW bug was in it's day, a 6 cyl Mustang as opposed to a V8, a 600cc snowmobile.

They are not meant to be the best of anything. Just an affordable option for those that can't / won't spend the money on the top tier ones, or don't need the feature set of them. Same goes for household appliances, furniture, computers, clothing, and just about anything else you can buy.

Affordable, reasonable amount of features, never top of the line. Nothing wrong with that. And a perfect camera for those whose requirements match the features offered. High enough mp for most, good DR, light weight, U1 and U2 modes, reasonable AF.

Hardly required a thread insulting those that bought it.

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

For myself I couldn't care less whether the D600/D610 are cameras for the masses as long as they're good. Looking at dxomark shows the D610 to be the equal of any other dslr in the most important IQ parameters. Where it sacrifices to more expensive models is in areas such as ultimate auto-focus, and build quality, neither of which mean a rats rear to me. The camera will be obsolete long before any of that is relevant. I was one who use too buy only top end models until it occurred to me that digital changes so quickly that the bullet proof brick you buy today will be inferior to a cheaper model in two years or less. If you're a working pro, and need bullet proof construction because you hammer nails with your camera, or need the best auto-focus performance because of the kind of photography you do, then by all means get a D800, or D4 etc. In pure IQ terms though the D600/D610 is every bit as good, and better than those other cameras, and for my type of photography that's all that matters.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fotolopithecus
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 7 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

OK - if you say that the DF is the best and smallest/lightest low light DSLR (no argument) ....then by that logic...stay with me here... Then:

The D610 is the smallest/lightest high resolution/high DR DSLR currently available!

Actually the smallest highest resolution camera from Nikon is the D800.

...and some folks are not pompous jerks who look down on people who can't afford to spend $3K on a camera. For most people, even the D610 is a major stretch. Yes, due to your extreme narcissism, we all know money is no object to you - you have a Rolex, a sailboat, can single hand a 70 foot sailboat, are going to spend $60K on a car, you are a pro, have lots of pro friends and contacts at B&H and Adorama, blah, blah, blah... Funny thing is that most truly wealthy people I've met don't feel a need to tell everyone about all their stuff....

It's funny, but if you actually look you will find that I never called anyone names or said anything mean-spirited about cameras or the people who used them, until they did!

Ahhh, the old "he started it" bit! Sadly it's true.

The attacks on a certain camera and the folks who bought them have been constant here. It did not start with me. The previous group of Df threads were started by others. Before I entered any of them the attacks began. Check for yourself.

Now that I've bloodied the nose of the D610, many are crying FOUL! Hey, you can't put down MY purchase, but I can put down yours!

Oh, and I'm NOT wealthy and never said I was. I own a sailboat, not a mega yacht. 60K is not expensive for a car these days. I don't own a Rolex; never said that I did. I do have friends at camera shops and I work with pros in the business, as do many others. I have a friend who works for Nikon as well. I haven't painted you a picture; you've just made assumptions.

I don't think the D600/610 is junk, but I do think it's a lousy value compared to a D800. And once you buy a D800, A Df adds more capability to a kit than a D610.

All of my points about the D610 are factual. How you add them up is not my problem.

Cheers,

Robert

Using the word factual doesn't make what you say factual, in fact it makes it camouflage for the fact that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?

Fact or not, there is really no need for you to be so offensive and rude towards D600 owners. BTW I chose the D600 because of rme it was the best camera overall.

T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,860Gear list
Like?
In reply to fotolopithecus, 7 months ago

fotolopithecus wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Thing is a D610 is a camera for the masses. Same as the VW bug was in it's day, a 6 cyl Mustang as opposed to a V8, a 600cc snowmobile.

They are not meant to be the best of anything. Just an affordable option for those that can't / won't spend the money on the top tier ones, or don't need the feature set of them. Same goes for household appliances, furniture, computers, clothing, and just about anything else you can buy.

Affordable, reasonable amount of features, never top of the line. Nothing wrong with that. And a perfect camera for those whose requirements match the features offered. High enough mp for most, good DR, light weight, U1 and U2 modes, reasonable AF.

-- hide signature --

For myself I couldn't care less whether the D600/D610 are cameras for the masses as long as they're good. Looking at dxomark shows the D610 to be the equal of any other dslr in the most important IQ parameters. Where it sacrifices to more expensive models is in areas such as ultimate auto-focus, and build quality, neither of which mean a rats rear to me. The camera will be obsolete long before any of that is relevant. I was one who use too buy only top end models until it occurred to me that digital changes so quickly that the bullet proof brick you buy today will be inferior to a cheaper model in two years or less. If you're a working pro, and need bullet proof construction because you hammer nails with your camera, or need the best auto-focus performance because of the kind of photography you do, then by all means get a D800, or D4 etc. In pure IQ terms though the D600/D610 is every bit as good, and better than those other cameras, and for my type of photography that's all that matters.

All of the above puts you in what I'm referring to as "the masses" of full frame Nikon purchasers.It has to be good, doesn't have to be top of the line, you're requirements are not ultimate build quality and AF. Good IQ. Saves a few bucks. My point of the thread was a rebuttal of Robert saying it was cheap, plasticky feel, not excelling at anything.

Personally, and I haven't mentioned it in this thread but I shoot, D4, D800e, D700 and a D7000 for on job sites. I had two D600s for short periods that I bought in packages and flipped them. Nothing wrong with them, but they certainly weren't going to replace my, at the time, D800. But just a general, good all around camera at a good price point ( relative to other FF )bodies. As I said, a camera for the masses. Within the Nikon current full frame lineup ( before someone else pipes in that a Samsung Galaxy is - or whatever)

-- hide signature --

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
tissunique
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,196
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

OK - if you say that the DF is the best and smallest/lightest low light DSLR (no argument) ....then by that logic...stay with me here... Then:

The D610 is the smallest/lightest high resolution/high DR DSLR currently available!

Actually the smallest highest resolution camera from Nikon is the D800.

...and some folks are not pompous jerks who look down on people who can't afford to spend $3K on a camera. For most people, even the D610 is a major stretch. Yes, due to your extreme narcissism, we all know money is no object to you - you have a Rolex, a sailboat, can single hand a 70 foot sailboat, are going to spend $60K on a car, you are a pro, have lots of pro friends and contacts at B&H and Adorama, blah, blah, blah... Funny thing is that most truly wealthy people I've met don't feel a need to tell everyone about all their stuff....

It's funny, but if you actually look you will find that I never called anyone names or said anything mean-spirited about cameras or the people who used them, until they did!

Ahhh, the old "he started it" bit! Sadly it's true.

The attacks on a certain camera and the folks who bought them have been constant here. It did not start with me. The previous group of Df threads were started by others. Before I entered any of them the attacks began. Check for yourself.

Now that I've bloodied the nose of the D610, many are crying FOUL! Hey, you can't put down MY purchase, but I can put down yours!

Oh, and I'm NOT wealthy and never said I was. I own a sailboat, not a mega yacht. 60K is not expensive for a car these days. I don't own a Rolex; never said that I did. I do have friends at camera shops and I work with pros in the business, as do many others. I have a friend who works for Nikon as well. I haven't painted you a picture; you've just made assumptions.

I don't think the D600/610 is junk, but I do think it's a lousy value compared to a D800. And once you buy a D800, A Df adds more capability to a kit than a D610.

Please explain what reasons do you think the D610 is lousy value in comparison to the D800 and by implication the DF? And precisely in what ways does the DF add more capability to a kit than a D610?

Rick_Hunter
Contributing MemberPosts: 591Gear list
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

-- hide signature --

I, and many others, are not interested in D600 / D610, VW bugs or solid-rear axle pony car.

We want better.

The D800 is the best Nikon hi-res DSLR currently available.

The D4 is the best Nikon low light and action DSLR currently available.

The Df is the best and smallest/lightest/quietest low light DSLR currently available.

The D610 is not the best at anything, but it's cheap.

NOTHING above is subjective. 100% factual. Adding something subjective, the D610 is also the cheapest feeling DSLR. The D800 is somewhat better while the Df and D4 are the best. The Df clearly has the best quality control with virtually zero issues reported. D4 is right behind it. The D6XX and D800 have been horrible for QC as we all know.

D610 is plain vanilla. Some folks like that. They want to be part of the masses.

And some want better and skip the D610.

Robert

Robert... Just as many, many other users have already told you in the other (now locked) thread... You have become really pathetic, you reached a new low, you flushed yourself down the toilet, you have no credibility whatsoever.
Why don't you just look at yourself in the mirror and understand you are wrong? You are sounding like the guy going the wrong way on the highway and thinking: "Oh look, everybody's going the wrong way!"
One word I would use to describe your behavior would be "ridiculous"
If you are so happy with your equipment and are so utterly convinced that it's the best out there, just go out, use it, and please stop filling these forums with your cr@ppy threads. Nobody needs them, trust me.
Sorry, it's just like that. Face reality like a grown up should, please.

Rick_Hunter's gear list:Rick_Hunter's gear list
Nikon D3S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rick_Hunter, 7 months ago

Rick, this if of topic I know, but I noticed that you live near Venice in Italy. You are a lucky man.

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
In reply to Rick_Hunter, 7 months ago

better and skip the D610.

Robert

Robert... Just as many, many other users have already told you in the other (now locked) thread... You have become really pathetic, you reached a new low, you flushed yourself down the toilet, you have no credibility whatsoever.
Why don't you just look at yourself in the mirror and understand you are wrong? You are sounding like the guy going the wrong way on the highway and thinking: "Oh look, everybody's going the wrong way!"
One word I would use to describe your behavior would be "ridiculous"
If you are so happy with your equipment and are so utterly convinced that it's the best out there, just go out, use it, and please stop filling these forums with your cr@ppy threads. Nobody needs them, trust me.
Sorry, it's just like that. Face reality like a grown up should, please.

Rick,

Unfortunately, being stupid is not against the law. Ergo, as long as he doesn't violate forum rules, he is allowed to do anything else he pleases here including intentionally starting inflamatory threads, posting pure BS, and presenting a gallery that would embarrass/humiliate any sane, rational photographer, including Stevie Wonder. It's a free, public forum and so he will continue on his merry way. Your post and now mine will draw his wrath, I'm sure.

Stan

DRDL
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

-- hide signature --

I, and many others, are not interested in D600 / D610, VW bugs or solid-rear axle pony car.

We want better.

The D800 is the best Nikon hi-res DSLR currently available.

The D4 is the best Nikon low light and action DSLR currently available.

The Df is the best and smallest/lightest/quietest low light DSLR currently available.

The D610 is not the best at anything, but it's cheap.

NOTHING above is subjective. 100% factual. Adding something subjective, the D610 is also the cheapest feeling DSLR. The D800 is somewhat better while the Df and D4 are the best. The Df clearly has the best quality control with virtually zero issues reported. D4 is right behind it. The D6XX and D800 have been horrible for QC as we all know.

D610 is plain vanilla. Some folks like that. They want to be part of the masses.

And some want better and skip the D610.

Robert

Hi Robert,

I have been comparing the D610 and the D800 to buy in the next month or so. I discounted

the Df, not on price but, because I want the video option and I use my wireless remote all the

time.

In terms of facts, I quote people smarter than me:

The excellent "Simon Stafford" found that: D610 has the edge

over the D800 in higher ISO performance and that

Sensor performance matches the D800.

Dxo labs found these two cameras had most dynamic range

out of the 251 cameras tested, which includes several Phase

One cameras.

So not even the memory eating D800 has better Dynamic Range!

Best mix of features, weight and cost.

To a landscape photographer, the DR is the one feature you can't have

enough of. You can see where my cash is going...

JayDreamer
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, 7 months ago

True, mine and posts by many others, which were not any personal attacks but genuine concerns, got removed from this thread. But all the BS is still here! Is there any rule that a newbie cannot express a concerns but some long time members can post any BS? Go ahead and remove this post too and I can say I am done.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jay
Images from the mind are surreal!

JayDreamer's gear list:JayDreamer's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 Aspherical +7 more
ravduc
Like?
In reply to JayDreamer, 7 months ago

I agree. Mine were also removed and all I did was express a need for us to compromise and accept each other's choices so as to reestablish some kind of civility in this forum. I don't understand why they got deleted. Makes me really wonder why anyone would want to remove this kind of comment.

Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,304Gear list
Like?
In reply to ravduc, 7 months ago

I read that comment. When was it removed?

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +23 more
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,304Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rich Rosen, 7 months ago

No, I'm sorry. I found the comment I read.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +23 more
1w12q312qw1
Like?
The quintessential "Instigator"

ravduc wrote:

I agree. Mine were also removed and all I did was express a need for us to compromise and accept each other's choices so as to reestablish some kind of civility in this forum. I don't understand why they got deleted. Makes me really wonder why anyone would want to remove this kind of comment.

Boy, anyone old enough to remember Eddie Haskell on Leave It To Beaver? Natural-born trouble maker who kissed all of the kids' parents butts. But they finally saw right through him for who he was.

Or how about the guy in high school who was always in on the mischief but somehow NEVER got in trouble. He was the smooth-talker with the teachers and was just unbelievably lucky in his ways. But the day finally came when the teachers caught onto his act, they finally realized that in every skirmish or mischief, HE was always involved and was actually at the center of things. It was then obvious that removing him from his circle of friends instantly reduced the group's antics.

Ah, dems were the days.

Stan

dantastical
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
In reply to T O Shooter, 7 months ago

I just want to say I have a D600 and love it, genuinely wouldnt swap it for any other Nikon, except the D3x possibly as I love the colours. I think you either buy a camera as a tool to try and take great photographs, or to compensate for the fact that you cant take great photographs, and I think some prominent posters are sadly in the latter category, and the 'status' you get from owning a particular camera. For me, status comes from the images you produce, and if anything making great images with a 'cheap' camera is even better!

ravduc
Like?
Re: The quintessential "Instigator"
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, 7 months ago

Did you notice that they removed most of your comments with mine?

fotolopithecus
Like?
In reply to dantastical, 7 months ago

dantastical wrote:

I just want to say I have a D600 and love it, genuinely wouldnt swap it for any other Nikon, except the D3x possibly as I love the colours. I think you either buy a camera as a tool to try and take great photographs, or to compensate for the fact that you cant take great photographs, and I think some prominent posters are sadly in the latter category, and the 'status' you get from owning a particular camera. For me, status comes from the images you produce, and if anything making great images with a 'cheap' camera is even better!

Yes you've nailed it, and I've often forgotten this truth myself because of my general interest in gear. Ultimately your status comes from your images, not your gear. I suppose the photographically incompetent are more, or less forced to buy the most expensive equipment to appear relevant.

fotolopithecus
Like?

ravduc wrote:

Who be "they" by the way, because normally the mod squad will pm you to tell you why they deleted a reply.

1w12q312qw1
Like?

ravduc wrote:

Yep, I don't care.

Regards,

Stan

ravduc
Like?
In reply to fotolopithecus, 7 months ago

The moderators never sent me anything. As for this ongoing discussion in this thread, I have preferred not to take sides mainly because none of it is positive. Taking sides seems to be the way to go if you don't want you're comments to be deleted.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads