Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Humours Dip
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352
Like?
Re: D600 / D610 - A camera for the masses
In reply to Kevin Patrick, 7 months ago

Kevin Patrick wrote:

jjnik wrote:

...and some folks are not pompous jerks who look down on people who can't afford to spend $3K on a camera. For most people, even the D610 is a major stretch. Yes, due to your extreme narcissism, we all know money is no object to you - you have a Rolex, a sailboat, can single hand a 70 foot sailboat, are going to spend $60K on a car, you are a pro, have lots of pro friends and contacts at B&H and Adorama, blah, blah, blah... Funny thing is that most truly wealthy people I've met don't feel a need to tell everyone about all their stuff....

Why do you believe his nonsense? Because he said so? Df was purchased by daddy and he has never shown that he owns anything other than a mediocre lens set. If he can truly afford such expensive cameras himself then why not the lens' to match? Obvious, the entire persona he has created here is all a lie. This all goes back years under many other user names that have been banned. Sad really.

The purpose of the troll is to start arguments, to feed his dysfunctional personality. I do wonder if he is Ken Rockwell, the childish black and white viewpoints are similar, and the latter does have contempt for keen amateurs. .

The moderation in this forum stinks. They allow the most confrontational posts through. It is as if they actually want fighting and squabbling. Maybe that is the 'house style' and they think it brings in traffic. It certainly brings in Trabants, but not many Mercedes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,928Gear list
Like?
What a hilarious set of responses...
In reply to Ray Sachs, 7 months ago

Truly, and every ounce of irony is missed by all but a few....

I love how some of the biggest nastiest posters here now gather together (as if that somehow gives them credibility) and dive into the "maturity barrel."

Too late. Df owners were attacked and belittled in thread after thread, often BEFORE I got involved in them. The remarks were as nasty as they were stupid.

Yesterday was the last straw. Some fellow posted a report that Nikon execs were happy with Df sales. Within 6 posts the Df was attacked for terrible AF (Like the terrible D610 AF) and being a "failure."

Ravduc, understandably frustrated, lashed out with a comment about jealousy and I support that comment.  Now I'm certain some of you can afford a Df on a whim, but MOST can't. Too bad and I'm sorry. I'm also sorry if the Df wasn't built for you. That doesn't mean it's okay to chase every Df thread when you don't own or understand the camera.

And so I explained this, rather lucidly I thought, to Rich. He seems like a reasonable fellow and has generally been clear with me. But for some reason he defended the repetitive negative thread bashing from a small group of haters. Or rather, he was intent on suggesting that it never happened or barely happened.

This is clearly a lie.

So, to make a point I started a thread on the D6XX. Heck, I really don't like it. I do think it's cheap and can't see the point of it. But I never said that here because I understand that it FITS for others and why rain on the parade? Now I've said it, liking pulling off a bandaid slowly...it hurts.

Note that the D6XX owners (who were the biggest offenders in the "Df wars") are now crying all the way home about my remarks.

"He's gone too far! He just wants attention! Don't feed the troll! He's really 57 other people and in a wheelchair!"

Sorry, folks. You got smacked down and treated like Pavlov's dogs. You deserved it and I'm far far far from the only one laughing. You should be ashamed to have posted the things you did about me, hipsters, people with too much money and all the other class-warfare nonsense that was hinted at or said straight out.

The best part is that my comments about the D6XX are essentially dispassionate and absolutely true. It is in fact the lowest end camera and incapable of hitting the heights of ANY performance criteria. The D800, D4 and Df all stand above it in this respect.

But what does that Mean????

Not very much, except to the TRULY insecure people here. Those are the ones so quick to call me paranoid and insecure or worse. Some even made nasty comments about my wife and child. Did they think they "won" in some respect with such behavior?

Have a great day! I know I am.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
merops
Senior MemberPosts: 1,077
Like?
In reply to paulski66, 7 months ago

paulski66 wrote:

... I know we have at least two "moderators" here in this forum, but I have not seen either of them for weeks. Though as I said elsewhere, it's gotten so overwhelming juvenile and repetitive around here lately that I really don't pass through much any more.

The names of the mods on this forum are at the end of the paragraph at the head of the forum page:

"Community moderators: Higuma and TOF guy."

Higuma does not have any activity on their account for the last 11 months 8-/  Perhaps they should think about stepping down as a mod. TOF guy has posted (including a mod post) quite recently. Why not contact him by pm?

sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,295Gear list
Like?
In reply to Liviu Namolovan, 7 months ago

Liviu Namolovan wrote:

I could also testify on Shotcents' arrogance. Everyone has to respect his opinions, but unfortunately he doesn't know a thing about reciprocity.

Would that be reciprocity failure then?  Seems fitting for a photography forum

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,680
Like?
Re: Well,
In reply to Ray Sachs, 7 months ago

Ray Sachs wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

it's a good competent full frame camera that does everything pretty well.

But the masses are shooting with cell phones and point and shoots.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

I meant within the Nikon FF lineup. Not things that take pictures in general. As Apple said "Every day, more pictures are taken with an Iphone than any other camera"

Well, yeah, but that's a much lower hurdle to get over. I guess the 6D is Canon's camera for the masses, but it's probably about 195th on the list of Canon's best sellers. There just aren't many people shooting with full frame given the quality of the alternatives. Which was not the case in the film days when a much higher percentage of folks were shooting 35mm film. Then, it probably was the format of the masses...

Have you forgotten the Instamatic and earlier the Brownie? 

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to overniteman, 7 months ago

overniteman wrote:

Now why bring Mustangs into this?

Shotcents, this is my ride. Show me yours. BTW, I shoot a D700.

Nice pony!

I can't have a Mustang. I need four doors. Looking at a lot of silly mid-life crisis cars, especially the Dodge Charger SRT8. I'm open to other cars though. I'm also looking at the Audi S6. Odd cross-shopping, I know. If I were smart I'd just buy a Subaru STI or BMW 335 xdrive and be done with it.

I'm a bit over 6'3 and 240 lbs, so smaller cars are a bit tough for my aging bones.

Robert

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?
In reply to T O Shooter, 7 months ago

You mean the "great unwashed (oily) masses" ?

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +20 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,314
Like?

The first sentence in the opening thread to me was an indicator of creating another personally clash thread.  The d610 is a good entry level camera and will produce excellent images.  The df is a good street and walk around camera with an excellent sensor.

Larry

rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,086Gear list
Like?
Cameras don't need supporters or apologists

People should take a breath and maybe a few pictures. All these cameras are awesome compared to anything available just a few years ago.

But, "for the masses"? Hardly.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Shotcents
Like?
Re: Cameras don't need supporters or apologists
In reply to rhlpetrus, 7 months ago

You will take note that, with me or without me, few people here wish to converse reasonably and politely about cameras and lenses.

Robert

StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,975
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 7 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

overniteman wrote:

Now why bring Mustangs into this?

Shotcents, this is my ride. Show me yours. BTW, I shoot a D700.

Nice pony!

I can't have a Mustang. I need four doors. Looking at a lot of silly mid-life crisis cars, especially the Dodge Charger SRT8. I'm open to other cars though. I'm also looking at the Audi S6. Odd cross-shopping, I know. If I were smart I'd just buy a Subaru STI or BMW 335 xdrive and be done with it.

I'm a bit over 6'3 and 240 lbs, so smaller cars are a bit tough for my aging bones.

Robert

Then you probably wouldn't want one of these. A dodge charger might be more your size. I like it for size. At least the 2006 model.

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,233Gear list
Like?
Re: Cameras don't need supporters or apologists

I think most of us would simply rather not have you here, Robert.

Just a sense I'm getting.

lickity split
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
Reilly has my vote for Moderator.. (nt.)
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, 7 months ago

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I think most of us would simply rather not have you here, Robert.

Just a sense I'm getting.

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulski66, 7 months ago

You are right, of course. It is just wishful thinking on my part that members would collectively stifle a problem such as this. I have read a number of your posts, and while I don't always agree with what you say, I have always respected your opinion. If you leave this forum, we will lose out on a major resource and a gentleman.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +23 more
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,858Gear list
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, 7 months ago

larrywilson wrote:

The first sentence in the opening thread to me was an indicator of creating another personally clash thread.

It wasn't meant that way. Robert was going all nuts in his thread and rather than jump into that i started another one. Not many here regard Robert as anything other than a troll.

The d610 is a good entry level camera and will produce excellent images. The df is a good street and walk around camera with an excellent sensor.

What does this mean or what's your point????  If you're suggesting the Df is more a body for the masses, then quite simply - you're wrong.

Larry

I stand by my opinion that the 600 / 610 is a camera for the masses. I'm talking about someone looking for a new Nikon full frame body. I'd like an opinion on what other body between Df, D800, D800e, D3X and D4 that would that appeal and be bought across a wide spectrum of buyers as much or more than the D600/D610. Don't mean anything derogatory by "masses", simply mean a lot of people over a broad spectrum of photography levels.

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,858Gear list
Like?
Well,
In reply to rhlpetrus, 7 months ago

rhlpetrus wrote:

People should take a breath and maybe a few pictures. All these cameras are awesome compared to anything available just a few years ago.

You're wrong. Within Nikon's crop of full frame bodies, the D600 / D610 is the one that will have the widest appeal to most people. Factoring in size, price, sensor, AF, DR, IQ  What other Nikon current FF do you think has a wider appeal??  Some of you like to argue for the sake of arguing.

-- hide signature --

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,295Gear list
Like?
Re: Well,

T O Shooter wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

You're wrong. Within Nikon's crop of full frame bodies, the D600 / D610 is the one that will have the widest appeal to most people. Factoring in size, price, sensor, AF, DR, IQ What other Nikon current FF do you think has a wider appeal?? Some of you like to argue for the sake of arguing.

-- hide signature --

The D610 may be a popular choice for many people getting into FX, but at the price point of $2K+ it can hardly be called "masses" as that spot would be taken by one of the lower tier DX cameras.  Most people do not need FX at all, even the D7100 is more than most of the "masses" need. To most people, $800 is still a lot of money to spend on a camera.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302Gear list
Like?
Re: What a hilarious set of responses...

Shotcents wrote:

Truly, and every ounce of irony is missed by all but a few....

I love how some of the biggest nastiest posters here now gather together (as if that somehow gives them credibility) and dive into the "maturity barrel."

Too late. Df owners were attacked and belittled in thread after thread, often BEFORE I got involved in them. The remarks were as nasty as they were stupid.

Yesterday was the last straw. Some fellow posted a report that Nikon execs were happy with Df sales. Within 6 posts the Df was attacked for terrible AF (Like the terrible D610 AF) and being a "failure."

Ravduc, understandably frustrated, lashed out with a comment about jealousy and I support that comment. Now I'm certain some of you can afford a Df on a whim, but MOST can't. Too bad and I'm sorry. I'm also sorry if the Df wasn't built for you. That doesn't mean it's okay to chase every Df thread when you don't own or understand the camera.

And so I explained this, rather lucidly I thought, to Rich. He seems like a reasonable fellow and has generally been clear with me. But for some reason he defended the repetitive negative thread bashing from a small group of haters. Or rather, he was intent on suggesting that it never happened

Since you brought the subject of me up, let me respond: I did not defend the supposed transgressor (Curleyone). What I did, was bring ravduc to task for accusing curleyone of having some agenda for making his comment about the Af system. First; while not appropriate for the thread, Curleyone said he wished that the Df had a better Af system. He didn't say it was a failure; he just felt it could have been better. This site in its review of the Df felt that way. Curleyone was told by another member, who to his credit is no longer involved in this conversation, that it wasn't possible and his only alternative was get another camera. Ravduc, to his regret, lashed out with a statement that was not called for. He accused curleyone of being jealous because he could not afford the Df. In a later post ravduc admitted, to his credit, that his statement, was a product of frustration. Ravduc is a gentleman for admitting that. Read the thread and decide who is telling the truth. Its here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53140659

This is clearly a lie.

Read the thread.

So, to make a point I started a thread on the D6XX. Heck, I really don't like it. I do think it's cheap and can't see the point of it. But I never said that here because I understand that it FITS for others and why rain on the parade? Now I've said it, liking pulling off a bandaid slowly...it hurts.

Note that the D6XX owners (who were the biggest offenders in the "Df wars") are now crying all the way home about my remarks.

You think too much of yourself. I don't know of anyone who is crying about your remarks. Unlike you, I feel very secure in my purchase of the D600, as I did in my purchase of the D3 before that. I don't need and actually don't want your approval  on my purchases.

There may some anger about your remarks, but that anger is not because you don't like the D6xx. It exists because it was your intention attack people who you feel will not approve of your decisions.

Robert

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +23 more
Humours Dip
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352
Like?

T O Shooter wrote:

Can't get into replying to the troll.

Thing is a D610 is a camera for the masses. Same as the VW bug was in it's day, a 6 cyl Mustang as opposed to a V8, a 600cc snowmobile.

They are not meant to be the best of anything. Just an affordable option for those that can't / won't spend the money on the top tier ones, or don't need the feature set of them. Same goes for household appliances, furniture, computers, clothing, and just about anything else you can buy.

Affordable, reasonable amount of features, never top of the line. Nothing wrong with that. And a perfect camera for those whose requirements match the features offered. High enough mp for most, good DR, light weight, U1 and U2 modes, reasonable AF.

Hardly required a thread insulting those that bought it.

-- hide signature --

It is far too expensive to be for the masses, outside wealthy America anyway. But it is a superb camera, far from entry level.

scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,533Gear list
Like?
In reply to Humours Dip, 7 months ago

Humours Dip wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Can't get into replying to the troll.

Thing is a D610 is a camera for the masses. Same as the VW bug was in it's day, a 6 cyl Mustang as opposed to a V8, a 600cc snowmobile.

They are not meant to be the best of anything. Just an affordable option for those that can't / won't spend the money on the top tier ones, or don't need the feature set of them. Same goes for household appliances, furniture, computers, clothing, and just about anything else you can buy.

Affordable, reasonable amount of features, never top of the line. Nothing wrong with that. And a perfect camera for those whose requirements match the features offered. High enough mp for most, good DR, light weight, U1 and U2 modes, reasonable AF.

Hardly required a thread insulting those that bought it.

-- hide signature --

It is far too expensive to be for the masses, outside wealthy America anyway. But it is a superb camera, far from entry level.

I see "non-wealthy" Americans walking out of every electronics store in America with a flat screen TV costing about the same.  Just a matter of priorities I guess.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads