D600 / D610 - A camera for the masses

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,244Gear list
Like?
D600 / D610 - A camera for the masses
9 months ago

Can't get into replying to the troll.

Thing is a D610 is a camera for the masses. Same as the VW bug was in it's day, a 6 cyl Mustang as opposed to a V8, a 600cc snowmobile.

They are not meant to be the best of anything. Just an affordable option for those that can't / won't spend the money on the top tier ones, or don't need the feature set of them. Same goes for household appliances, furniture, computers, clothing, and just about anything else you can buy.

Affordable, reasonable amount of features, never top of the line. Nothing wrong with that. And a perfect camera for those whose requirements match the features offered.  High enough mp for most, good DR, light weight, U1 and U2 modes, reasonable AF.

Hardly required a thread insulting those that bought it.

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Casio Exilim EX-V8 Nikon D600 Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,375Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 / D610 - A camera for the masses
In reply to T O Shooter, 9 months ago

Right on.  And a better picture than the D4/Df into the bargain.  WTH more do you want for 2K?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,271Gear list
Like?

I don't own one but I am sure that it's a great camera.

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,988Gear list
Like?

T O Shooter wrote:

Thing is a D610 is a camera for the masses. Same as the VW bug was in it's day, a 6 cyl Mustang as opposed to a V8, a 600cc snowmobile.

They are not meant to be the best of anything. Just an affordable option for those that can't / won't spend the money on the top tier ones, or don't need the feature set of them. Same goes for household appliances, furniture, computers, clothing, and just about anything else you can buy.

Affordable, reasonable amount of features, never top of the line. Nothing wrong with that. And a perfect camera for those whose requirements match the features offered. High enough mp for most, good DR, light weight, U1 and U2 modes, reasonable AF.

-- hide signature --

I, and many others, are not interested in D600 / D610, VW bugs or solid-rear axle pony car.

We want better.

The D800 is the best Nikon hi-res DSLR currently available.

The D4 is the best Nikon low light and action DSLR currently available.

The Df is the best and smallest/lightest/quietest low light DSLR currently available.

The D610 is not the best at anything, but it's cheap.

NOTHING above is subjective. 100% factual. Adding something subjective, the D610 is also the cheapest feeling DSLR. The D800 is somewhat better while the Df and D4 are the best. The Df clearly has the best quality control with virtually zero issues reported. D4 is right behind it. The D6XX and D800 have been horrible for QC as we all know.

D610 is plain vanilla. Some folks like that. They want to be part of the masses.

And some want better and skip the D610.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,858
Like?

As far as I am concerned the D610 and D7100 are great bodies from Nikon and recommended to any that ask.  Everyone in the family is comfortable shooting both.     My D3S, D700 and D300 have been relegated to specific types of shooting.  I do like the files from the Df .

My abilities have never challenged the capabilities of any of my cameras ....

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong
Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,347Gear list
Like?
No full frame DSLR is a camera for the masses

it's a good competent full frame camera that does everything pretty well.

But the masses are shooting with cell phones and point and shoots.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,858
Like?
Re: Well Ray, ..... an aside...
In reply to Ray Sachs, 9 months ago

I have to agree on the cell phones but not sure about the P & S's.  A couple of weeks ago the family stayed at the beach for the weekend during the height of tourist season.  I shot 17 tourists using cell phones for photos, 3 DSLRs (all small Nikons).   I did not see any P&S or M43.   Ah, I shot one lady using an ipad, funny   .  Disclaimer: not accurate stats but the ones in noticed and shot

I often photograph other people taking photos

-- hide signature --

Tom

T O Shooter
Like?
Well,
In reply to Ray Sachs, 9 months ago

Ray Sachs wrote:

it's a good competent full frame camera that does everything pretty well.

But the masses are shooting with cell phones and point and shoots.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

I meant within the Nikon FF lineup.  Not things that take pictures in general. As Apple said "Every day, more pictures are taken with an Iphone than any other camera"

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 9 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Affordable, reasonable amount of features, never top of the line. Nothing wrong with that. And a perfect camera for those whose requirements match the features offered. High enough mp for most, good DR, light weight, U1 and U2 modes, reasonable AF.

-- hide signature --

I, and many others, are not interested in D600 / D610, VW bugs or solid-rear axle pony car.

We want better.

The Df is the best and smallest/lightest/quietest low light DSLR currently available.

OK - if  you say that the DF is the best and smallest/lightest low light DSLR (no argument) ....then by that logic...stay with me here... Then:

The D610 is the smallest/lightest high resolution/high DR DSLR currently available!

see above

NOTHING above is subjective. 100% factual.

Same with my assessment - see how that works?

Adding something subjective, the D610 is also the cheapest feeling DSLR. The D800 is somewhat better while the Df and D4 are the best. The Df clearly has the best quality control with virtually zero issues reported. D4 is right behind it. The D6XX and D800 have been horrible for QC as we all know.

D610 is plain vanilla. Some folks like that. They want to be part of the masses.

...and some folks are not pompous jerks who look down on people who can't afford to spend $3K on a camera. For most people, even the D610 is a major stretch. Yes, due to your extreme narcissism, we all know money is no object to you - you have a Rolex, a sailboat, can single hand a 70 foot sailboat, are going to spend $60K on a car, you are a pro, have lots of pro friends and contacts at B&H and Adorama, blah, blah, blah... Funny thing is that most truly wealthy people I've met don't feel a need to tell everyone about all their stuff....

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290Gear list
Like?
Re: Well Ray, ..... an aside...
In reply to tommiejeep, 9 months ago

tommiejeep wrote:

I have to agree on the cell phones but not sure about the P & S's. A couple of weeks ago the family stayed at the beach for the weekend during the height of tourist season. I shot 17 tourists using cell phones for photos, 3 DSLRs (all small Nikons). I did not see any P&S or M43. Ah, I shot one lady using an ipad, funny .

My personal favorite is when I see people using iPads to shoot videos at school events while blocking the view of  everyone behind them

Disclaimer: not accurate stats but the ones in noticed and shot

I often photograph other people taking photos

-- hide signature --

Tom

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,461
Like?
Let's see...

One of the best FF sensors (#2) in existence? Check.

Affordable? Check.

Well built? Environmentally sealed? Check.

Full featured? Yup, for the most part, except for a couple things like 1/4000 shutter.

That covers the needs of quite a lot of people.

What's not to like at the price point?  It's as good or better at many things as a $3,400 5DM3, which is the closest off-brand competition.  We're lucky to have such a camera in our arsenal, IMHO.

The D610 is pretty amazing when you think about it, that sensor and feature set for $2000?  It may not be the absolute best at any one thing but it is one hell of a value for enthusiasts and professionals alike.  Not long ago, you needed $9,000 if you wanted 24MP, practically limited to lower ISO's.

I sure do know a lot of people happy with the D600/D610.

bhill643
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?
u mean 4 the messes

try to get the same shot with a 800 . not gonna happen unless u have a tripod.

Love my little beast - best dig ever - will not be up grading any time soon. Unless they come out with a d500

Kevin Patrick
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
In reply to jjnik, 9 months ago

jjnik wrote:

...and some folks are not pompous jerks who look down on people who can't afford to spend $3K on a camera. For most people, even the D610 is a major stretch. Yes, due to your extreme narcissism, we all know money is no object to you - you have a Rolex, a sailboat, can single hand a 70 foot sailboat, are going to spend $60K on a car, you are a pro, have lots of pro friends and contacts at B&H and Adorama, blah, blah, blah... Funny thing is that most truly wealthy people I've met don't feel a need to tell everyone about all their stuff....

Why do you believe his nonsense?  Because he said so?  Df was purchased by daddy and he has never shown that he owns anything other than a mediocre lens set.  If he can truly afford such expensive cameras himself then why not the lens' to match?  Obvious, the entire persona he has created here is all a lie.  This all goes back years under many other user names that have been banned. Sad really.

Kevin Patrick's gear list:Kevin Patrick's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212Gear list
Like?
Superterrific

I have seen images turned out by a D600/610 and photographer that inspire me. It is such a wonderful thing to have a FF at a reasonable price, it opens the door for so many shooters and in that way I think the D600/610 is much more than the sum of it's parts.

It makes it the best at attracting young photographers.

The best at providing great IQ in an affordable price.

The best back up camera for many pros.

The best camera to attract new Nikon shooters... I could go on and on.

Wasn't there someone on here recently railing against techoboobs who can't see a camera for more than the sum of its parts?

If we are going to allow the bashing of camera worth/benefit- than none has a bigger target on its back than the Df! And we all know how I feel about that!

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
tissunique
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,214
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, 9 months ago

I really don't think that a camera at this price point can be called a 'camera for the masses' which sort of brings it into the DX/compact areas...

tissunique
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,214
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 9 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

-- hide signature --

We want better.

NOTHING above is subjective. 100% factual. Adding something subjective, the D610 is also the cheapest feeling DSLR. The D800 is somewhat better while the Df and D4 are the best. The Df clearly has the best quality control with virtually zero issues reported. D4 is right behind it. The D6XX and D800 have been horrible for QC as we all know.

And some want better and skip the D610.

Robert

The D800 is the only high res camera Nikon now makes

The D4 is the only pro/fast action camera Nikon makes

The DF is already being overtaken by Sony, Olympus and Fuji in the size, quality build, noise and image stakes

The D600/D610 is the only 24mp FF camera made by Nikon and has received numerous accolades by the photographic press, and while lower in price than other Nikon FX cameras is hardly cheap. Most important of all its image quallity is at least as good as other Nikons

Cameras don't make a good photographer

stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,387Gear list
Like?

T O Shooter wrote:

Congrats. You responded to the troll.

D 503
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?

T O Shooter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Price is wrong

-- hide signature --

Fear is the only darkness

D 503's gear list:D 503's gear list
Olympus E-1 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 +2 more
T O Shooter
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 9 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Congrats. You responded to the troll.

I should have said "I won't reply in his current thread".  That one is about as low as I've seen him go.  Just a blatant attack on those that don't agree with his views on his current choice of Nikon body.  Generally, I'll give him a word or two.  I'm surprised someone doesn't drive his threads to 150 with nonsencial replies or one word replies.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
VertigonA380
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?

Sad thing is it could have been a best seller for Nikon, there is not a lot of development from the D600 to the D610. Why not at least give it wifi ,51 Af points and same high res LCD? If they actually make a serious development (or implementation ) effort for the D620 they might actually significantly increase their revenue.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads