D3s and 128GB CF cards

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Matt Cham
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,120Gear list
Like?
D3s and 128GB CF cards
10 months ago

Anybody here using 128GB CF card with D3s?

I tried the Transcend brand 128GB and 64GB CF cards on my D3s and I am having delays on image playback. When I push the play button it takes 7 to 10 seconds for the image to show up on the LCD. In comparison, using a 16GB card the playback is instant.

I do not know if this delay occurs even with Sandisk and Lexar brand 128GB CF cards. Anyone have experience with these?

Matt Cham's gear list:Matt Cham's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Nikon D3S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,218Gear list
Like?
Re: D3s and 128GB CF cards
In reply to Matt Cham, 10 months ago

Matt, I don't have any answer to your question, but I do seem to recall a month or so back another post regarding the 128 Transcend having caused some issues. If I'm recalling correctly and you could locate the post it might be worthwhile.

I'm guessing you use the 128, formatted in camera, as primary and the other slot configured as Overflow?  What's in the other slot?  Tried different configurations? 128 alone?

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mais51
Senior MemberPosts: 1,193Gear list
Like?

Matt Cham wrote:

Anybody here using 128GB CF card with D3s?

I tried the Transcend brand 128GB and 64GB CF cards on my D3s and I am having delays on image playback. When I push the play button it takes 7 to 10 seconds for the image to show up on the LCD. In comparison, using a 16GB card the playback is instant.

I do not know if this delay occurs even with Sandisk and Lexar brand 128GB CF cards. Anyone have experience with these?

Big cards is going to take long time due to FAT32 file system employed, this file system is really not suitable for large partition, even my 32GB /60MB/s Sandisk CF takes longer than the 16GB version.  By the way last time I used a Transcend card was 10 years ago.

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +6 more
JonHob
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?

I would like to know why you need 128GB cards in your D3S? This is of cause very personal but I thought I was OTT using 2x 16GB Extreme Pro cards in mine (787 NEF files on each) for sports.

JonHob's gear list:JonHob's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +6 more
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,507
Like?

An 8GB card holds at least 800 RAW files. Why put all your eggs into one 128GB CF bucket? It is foolish.

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,986Gear list
Like?
In reply to calson, 10 months ago

calson wrote:

An 8GB card holds at least 800 RAW files. Why put all your eggs into one 128GB CF bucket? It is foolish.

Not to mention very very expensive!

JonHob
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
In reply to calson, 10 months ago

calson wrote:

800 RAW on an 8GB? My 16GB's store 787 each..

JonHob's gear list:JonHob's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +6 more
AikenMooney
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033
Like?
In reply to JonHob, 10 months ago

+1   16 GB SanDisk & D3s

For 12 bit I show 787

For 14 bit I show 605 images

Personally that is all I want with one card. I usually use 8 GB SanDisk.

I do have one 32 GB SD card I use with my D7100.

Did the D3s come to mkt before the 128 GB was released? Will it even recognize the 128? Guess info is on Nikon site but did not look. Manual on page 419 only shows one approved 64 GB card, the SanDisk Extreme Pro.

SamG10
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
In reply to AikenMooney, 10 months ago

What's the read/write speed on this card?  That might be the culprit.

SamG10's gear list:SamG10's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D1X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
AikenMooney
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033
Like?
In reply to SamG10, 10 months ago

I believe this question is for the OP.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads