Is there something wrong in getting an inexpensive lens mount adapter?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862Gear list
Like?
Is there something wrong in getting an inexpensive lens mount adapter?
8 months ago

Could an inexpensive $15 dollar lens mount adapter damage my XE1 or my nikon lenses?

If not I'm ready to hit the purchase button at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-AFNK-Fujifilm-Camera-Adapter/dp/B007YPED8O

Thanks!

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
taz98spin
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there something wrong in getting an inexpensive lens mount adapter?
In reply to mistermejia, 8 months ago

Nothing wrong with getting a cheap lens adapter.

But the OM to X mount adapter I got off of Amazon wasn't cut right? or something, because when I mount my OM lenses on they shake.

taz98spin's gear list:taz98spin's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
No

I've had lots of cheap adapters over the last 5 years and all of them did the job I asked of them. They might not have been as well built as the ones that can cost 10 times as much but I didn't care, they worked

Nick

darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,375Gear list
Like?

It's only $15. Try it and return it of you don't like it. But remember that with optics, you often get what you pay for.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
ripleysbaby
Contributing MemberPosts: 664Gear list
Like?

I have 2 cheap adaptors and a good one.
The cheap ones at a sloppy fit both ends and to be honest, it's not a pleasant experience to use them.
The good one. A Kipon. (£55.00) is as good a fit as you could wish for.
Expensive or cheap. When you first get one put it on and take it off the body several times with the adaptor facing the floor. Just in case paint or even metal gets dislodged.
Then do the same with the lens.

ripleysbaby's gear list:ripleysbaby's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to ripleysbaby, 8 months ago

ripleysbaby wrote:

I have 2 cheap adaptors and a good one.
The cheap ones at a sloppy fit both ends and to be honest, it's not a pleasant experience to use them.
The good one. A Kipon. (£55.00) is as good a fit as you could wish for.
Expensive or cheap. When you first get one put it on and take it off the body several times with the adaptor facing the floor. Just in case paint or even metal gets dislodged.
Then do the same with the lens.

Very good tip ripleysbaby! Thanks for bringing that up.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?

I have four adapters, 3 from Rainbow Imaging (Nikon, Tamron adaptall and Voigtlander screw mount), all fit perfectly and cost me $10 - $15. The nikon version is for lenses with aperture rings so less expensive than my Fotodiox, Nikon G to Fuji X adapter which cost about $40

So I can highly recommend Rainbow Imaging , in NY, from their website or ebay. I also purchased a set of spare caps (rear lens and camera) from them (under $10 for a set) which fit perfectly.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +8 more
Birse Boy
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?

I got a Pixco adaptor off ebay for £15 for my XE1 / Rokkor lenses - works a treat, well made to boot

farnorthfocus
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?

I suppose it depends on how much you value the lenses you are going to use with it !

Just a thought.

visit www.farnorthfocus.co.uk

farnorthfocus's gear list:farnorthfocus's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +8 more
WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,462
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 8 months ago

I have to agree with Al, the Rainbows are pretty decent adapters for the money. They tend to be a bit loose on the rotational axis, but not so they effect usability. I have Eos-X, Minolta MD-X, canon FD to X and a Konica AR to X mount Rainbow adapters & they all work really well.

I also have two Metabones adapters Nikor-F and Canon FD to X  and one speed booster FD-X. These are very well made, but somewhat expensive.

-- hide signature --

Warren

Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207Gear list
Like?

Peruse ebay and see what is there. There are good descriptions on the items. With good glass I'd not go too cheap.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
gerard boulanger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?
NO n/t
No text.
 gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
jeffsvisions
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195Gear list
Like?

i use several of these on my Samsung camera never had a problem . no sure about fuji camera . i only have the x10 for now.

-- hide signature --

The best picture is the one you take.
Jeff

tr4driver
Regular MemberPosts: 429
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

Could an inexpensive $15 dollar lens mount adapter damage my XE1 or my nikon lenses?

Thanks!

I don't think is will hurt anything, but it may or may not fit as well as a more expensive mount.  I have a cheap Nikon to Fuji mount from Rainbow Imaging, and there is noticeable play between the lens/mount/body.  I also have a high quality (and expensive) Rayqual Leica to Fuji adapter.  It obviously has a much higher fit and finish and has no play what-so-ever.

That said, the cheap mount still works, but the lens will turn ever so slightly whenever I go to focus.  It's kind of annoying and if I really used it that much, I would replace it with a better one.

Kurt

jkspepper
Regular MemberPosts: 400
Like?
No. I use one
PenPix
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?
No. But….
In reply to ripleysbaby, 8 months ago

You roll the dice when you buy a cheap one.

I picked up a Polaroid branded one off Amazon and the fit on a few of my Nikon lenses are so tight that I couldn't turn the aperture ring.  If I tried using it as-is, I could see a potential for damaging my lenses.

Since shipping it back was more than half the price of what I paid for it, I decided to rebuild it to make it fit.  It's not bad now, but I'll probably shave a little more from the barrel to make it perfect.  Regardless there is no sloppiness in the fit (before and after my adjustments) and it seems reasonably centred.

I would buy one of the cheap ones recommended by other posters since they have had good success with them.

LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659Gear list
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

Thanks!

I got once Nikon lens to canon adapter and it was so tight that I had really hard time to get it off the lens. Really, really hard, I almost thought it will be permanent. It did work, but I would really go for middle ground from reputable "brands". If it is too cheap it may be really hit or miss.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

Thanks!

There can be a number of problems: inability to focus at infinity, tilted focal plane, fit is too tight or too loose. I use a cheap adapter with my portrait lens because those problems wouldn't be noticeable at max aperture.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads