A7/A7R no longer dust and moisture resistant?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
The Lotus Eater
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
A7/A7R no longer dust and moisture resistant?
9 months ago

Somebody pointed out to me the other day on another forum that Sony USA/B&H/Amazon.com no longer have any references to the A7/A7R bodies being dust and moisture resistant.

The only reference to dust and moisture resistance is on the FE lenses and the vertical grip.

I immediately checked the Sony UK site after hearing this and there were still claims of dust and moisture resistance.  However, looking at Sony UK today, it seems the UK site does not reference it anymore either.

So, it appears Sony are quietly unsealing these cameras!  What's going on?

The Lotus Eater's gear list:The Lotus Eater's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +8 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
npires
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198Gear list
Like?
Re: A7/A7R no longer dust and moisture resistant?
In reply to The Lotus Eater, 9 months ago

Would like to know too!

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Seeky
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
In reply to npires, 9 months ago

It is a new feature, incorporated by an OTA firmware update. The camera automatically registers if it gets wet regularly. If not, the weather sealing disintegrates to increase heat dissipation rate and subsequently reduce thermal noise. In addition Sony launched a new PlayMemory App from which you can buy al sorts of hot shoe mounting rain covers and umbrellas to compensate for the loss of the redundant weather sealing.

Seeky's gear list:Seeky's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +8 more
JeffS7444
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?

I think it was Roger Cicala / Lensrentals.com who revealed typical camera "weather-resistant" treatments as often little more than strategically placed bits of tape. The A7 is certainly not water proof as the doors aren't even sealed.

Heaven is for real
Senior MemberPosts: 2,320Gear list
Like?

The Lotus Eater wrote:

Somebody pointed out to me the other day on another forum that Sony USA/B&H/Amazon.com no longer have any references to the A7/A7R bodies being dust and moisture resistant.

The only reference to dust and moisture resistance is on the FE lenses and the vertical grip.

I immediately checked the Sony UK site after hearing this and there were still claims of dust and moisture resistance. However, looking at Sony UK today, it seems the UK site does not reference it anymore either.

So, it appears Sony are quietly unsealing these cameras! What's going on?

Watch "water" test at 3:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJc83wV6iA

Heaven is for real's gear list:Heaven is for real's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,625Gear list
Like?

They weren't even remotely sealed to begin with, flimsy doors, etc. Not even mounts on the lenses were sealed.

What do we have now? No [insufficient] weather sealing when it was advertised, 11 bit RAW when 14 bit was advertised (this one is gray because of the delta encoding they do, but they directly advertised it as 14 bits I recall), support for E mount lenses when they don't support OSS on most existing lenses, etc.

People still seem quick to believe their claims of worlds fastest autofocus.

I still see sony.net shows the "seals": http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/o4j5/index.html#features
I wonder if people have had trouble with the "sealing" so they take down the advertising for it?

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, 9 months ago

Can't speak for the E mount, but the A mount is sealed without rubber in the lens to camera area ( I believe Pentax is this way also).  The Canon and Nikon mounts have to have rubber to stop water egress into the camera lens combination (a part that gets compressed and deteriorates over time).

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
Seeky
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?

Eric, regarding mount sealing I don't see the issue although it is brought up every time. I don't see it happen that water will enter through two tightly locked metal rings. The battery door seems fine too since the camera may be sealed in the battery compartment, not at the door. Regardless, I don't hold my camera upside down in the rain so problem here. In addition, no matter how sealed cameras are, if something goes wrong you're always out of luck.

Seeky's gear list:Seeky's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +8 more
lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 601
Like?
In reply to Heaven is for real, 9 months ago

Heaven is for real wrote:

Watch "water" test at 3:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJc83wV6iA

You call those little sprinkles a "water" test?

This is a water test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A7hvJTGW4BA

The Lotus Eater
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?

viking79 wrote:

I wonder if people have had trouble with the "sealing" so they take down the advertising for it?

Well I was wondering if it was something to do with the reported light leak issues.  If the camera is leaking light, can it leak dust and moisture too in the same place?

The Lotus Eater's gear list:The Lotus Eater's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +8 more
viking79
Like?
In reply to Seeky, 9 months ago

Seeky wrote:

Eric, regarding mount sealing I don't see the issue although it is brought up every time. I don't see it happen that water will enter through two tightly locked metal rings. The battery door seems fine too since the camera may be sealed in the battery compartment, not at the door. Regardless, I don't hold my camera upside down in the rain so problem here. In addition, no matter how sealed cameras are, if something goes wrong you're always out of luck.

My memory card door opens if I push near the hinge, and capillary action can draw water into a tight spot. Plus, there are reports of light leaking into the sensor box so I can't imagine it is sealed well enough.

An a$$ gasket on the lens pretty much guarantees a seal even if tolerances aren't perfect.

My point is if they don't seal the mount with a gasket, what do they use gaskets on? I think the teardown of the A7R I saw didn't have any gaskets. http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/01/the-a7r-teardown-a-look-inside-sonys-awesome-full-frame-mirrorless-camera

Quoting Roger: "The top looks well sealed by itself, and that’s a positive thing. I saw no gaskets of any kind anywhere. So either the plastic shell is supposed to be so tight that it’s weather resistant, or it’s not weather resistant."

Where the Sony diagram implies gaskets, but not: http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/o4j5/index.html#features

Bottom line is I wouldn't trust the weather resistance as much as I could trust a politician.

Eric

Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
viking79
Like?
In reply to steelhead3, 9 months ago

steelhead3 wrote:

Can't speak for the E mount, but the A mount is sealed without rubber in the lens to camera area ( I believe Pentax is this way also). The Canon and Nikon mounts have to have rubber to stop water egress into the camera lens combination (a part that gets compressed and deteriorates over time).

Pentax uses a mount (a$$) gasket as well.

Eric

S3ZAi
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?

I hope it's just because of Sony changing their websites and the shops following that and it's all a misunderstanding. One can always keep hoping, right? Though I really would like to see a pro delve deeper into this for a change, instead of keep whining about shutter-shock.

-- hide signature --

Sezai E., philosophy geek, bibliophile and creative photographer.
Cheers!

S3ZAi's gear list:S3ZAi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads