For those who thought the Df flopped...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Maji
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?
For those who thought the Df flopped...
5 months ago

For the naysayers who thought Df has flopped and is for the hipsters only...

In response to how Df has performed, this is what Nikon executives had to say...

Very well, we’re actually back-ordered in some countries. Even in Japan, we had a tough time getting hold of enough Df samples to display here at CP+ for our visitors. If you order a Df now in Japan you’d have to wait around two months. So if you order now you’d probably end up paying 8% VAT!

The Df is proving very popular, especially among the younger generation - both male and female. Older people know that the Df looks like a traditional camera, but to young people the design is completely new and fresh.

Even internally there was some debate about how the concept of this camera should be positioned in the market but it turned out very well.

Source - http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3890662077/cp-2014-nikon-interview-our-cameras-need-to-evolve

By the way, I don't own a Df and I don't think it meets my needs or style. However, I am glad to see people enjoying their cameras.

Maji's gear list:Maji's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
adhall
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?
Re: For those who thought the Df flopped...
In reply to Maji, 5 months ago

I can't imagine the Nikon executives giving anything other than positive news. It's part of their job...

So the Df is popular in Japan. We already knew that. In most other parts of the world, the anecdotal evidence suggests that sales have been poor. No back orders, not even on day one. Though it would be interesting to see the numbers (if they are ever produced).

Maji wrote:

In response to how Df has performed, this is what Nikon executives had to say...

Very well, we’re actually back-ordered in some countries. Even in Japan, we had a tough time getting hold of enough Df samples to display here at CP+ for our visitors. If you order a Df now in Japan you’d have to wait around two months. So if you order now you’d probably end up paying 8% VAT!

The Df is proving very popular, especially among the younger generation - both male and female. Older people know that the Df looks like a traditional camera, but to young people the design is completely new and fresh.

Even internally there was some debate about how the concept of this camera should be positioned in the market but it turned out very well.

Source - http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3890662077/cp-2014-nikon-interview-our-cameras-need-to-evolve

By the way, I don't own a Df and I don't think it meets my needs or style. However, I am glad to see people enjoying their cameras.

adhall's gear list:adhall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Maji
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?
In reply to adhall, 5 months ago

adhall wrote:

I can't imagine the Nikon executives giving anything other than positive news. It's part of their job...

So the Df is popular in Japan. We already knew that. In most other parts of the world, the anecdotal evidence suggests that sales have been poor. No back orders, not even on day one. Though it would be interesting to see the numbers (if they are ever produced).

Maji wrote:

Do you have any proof that you base your distrust of what the Nikon executives say that "... it turned out very well"? Is  your anecdotal evidence only "that sales have been poor" because there was no back order? Or do you have other evidence?

Maji's gear list:Maji's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
curlyone
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?

Just imagine how  many more they would of sold if they had put in a decent auto focus system.

RodluvanII
Senior MemberPosts: 1,425Gear list
Like?
In reply to curlyone, 5 months ago

curlyone wrote:

Just imagine how many more they would of sold if they had put in a decent auto focus system.

they did, and called it a D4

-- hide signature --

www.martinilux.com

RodluvanII's gear list:RodluvanII's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM +8 more
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,596
Like?

adhall wrote:

Maji wrote:

>I can't imagine the Nikon executives giving anything other than positive news. It's part of their job...

+1

I agree, it has nothing to do with the failure of the DF.

Iliah Borg
Forum ProPosts: 15,897
Like?

curlyone wrote:

Just imagine how many more they would of sold if they had put in a decent auto focus system.

Do you personally have Df AF problems? Or your statement is based on some theory?

-- hide signature --
ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,149Gear list
Like?
In reply to Iliah Borg, 5 months ago

Iliah, you know as well as I do that his claims are based on theory and nothing else. Just another way of complaining about this camera without any substantial evidence. He would love to have one but he can't afford it, thus preferring to bash the camera to alleviate some of the grieving pain.

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
dgrPhotos
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?

It was on back-order in the US after the initial shipments.  Demand was higher than expected.

dgrPhotos's gear list:dgrPhotos's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +6 more
Inars
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
In reply to ScottRH, 5 months ago

In my country shops asked over 3200 euros in price lists. Really on shelves nothing after 3 months from release. I'm try to bid in Ebay one...

As interesting, impossible to find place to get in hands all of Nikon FX models. All emotions to buy one or another product is based on forums and reviews thx to www.

Inars's gear list:Inars's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
dgrPhotos
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?

curlyone wrote:

I do a lot of my BIF shots with a TC on which noticeably slows down AF. My hit rate is easily 85%+. I have more problems with redundant images than misses. I also shoot with a D7100 and there are no noticable differences between the two AF systems.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53135798

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53138965

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53142859

dgrPhotos's gear list:dgrPhotos's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +6 more
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,648Gear list
Like?
Ah, the old "It's big in Japan!"

Kinda like Spinal Tap, only with fewer drummers.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
RodluvanII
Senior MemberPosts: 1,425Gear list
Like?
In reply to ravduc, 5 months ago

ravduc wrote:

He would love to have one but he can't afford it,

Classy.

-- hide signature --

www.martinilux.com

RodluvanII's gear list:RodluvanII's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM +8 more
dread_tai
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
In reply to RodluvanII, 5 months ago

RodluvanII wrote:

ravduc wrote:

Classy.

-- hide signature --

www.martinilux.com

+1

i was thinking the same thing when i first read that.........how old is he? 9? 10? i keep hearing this same tired/infantile response from others as well regarding this camera, and it's lame. if that's the best defense, then better to not say anything at all, and at least appear as a "mature adult".

dread_tai's gear list:dread_tai's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +3 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,391Gear list
Like?

adhall wrote:

Actually, as Nikon is a publically traded company, if they released information that was misleading about something price sensitive (like sales) the management could face sanctions. I think you can read from this that it has sold well, above expectations and targets within Nikon.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?
In reply to dread_tai, 5 months ago

I guess my buds at Adorama are also lying as are the folks at B&H, both very surprised at the sales of an expensive niche camera.

My shop in PA sold out as well and mine was ordered on Amazon. I guess my shop was also lying and just didn't want to sell me one!

Quite a few people here own the Df and that should tell you something. Gear-head sites don't like it, actual shooters like Moose Peterson and Bjorn Rorslett seem to love it. That should also tell you something.

My Df produces better images than my D800 MUCH more easily, is less to carry, fun to use and nice to look at. It gives me the same IQ as a D4 (or better), which I've always been a fan of.

If you have the money, what's not to like?

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,648Gear list
Like?
In reply to dread_tai, 5 months ago

dread_tai wrote:

RodluvanII wrote:

ravduc wrote:

Classy.

-- hide signature --

www.martinilux.com

+1

i was thinking the same thing when i first read that.........how old is he? 9? 10? i keep hearing this same tired/infantile response from others as well regarding this camera, and it's lame. if that's the best defense, then better to not say anything at all, and at least appear as a "mature adult".

+2

We're in the Nikon FX forum, ffs. We all own pretty expensive cameras. Duh.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,776
Like?
Let me guess.
In reply to dgrPhotos, 5 months ago

You do not use the extra AF points of the D7100 because you stick to the center group of 15 cross type AF sensors, and possibly only the center 9 out of 15, which gives you an almost similar coverage compared to the 9 cross type array on a Df?

lock

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulski66, 5 months ago

paulski66 wrote:

dread_tai wrote:

RodluvanII wrote:

ravduc wrote:

Classy.

-- hide signature --

www.martinilux.com

+1

i was thinking the same thing when i first read that.........how old is he? 9? 10? i keep hearing this same tired/infantile response from others as well regarding this camera, and it's lame. if that's the best defense, then better to not say anything at all, and at least appear as a "mature adult".

+2

We're in the Nikon FX forum, ffs. We all own pretty expensive cameras. Duh.

At this point the facts are in. The Df is not for everyone. It has outstanding IQ. It's lacking some features found on D610 and D800, but is very expensive. Some love it, some don't. It's a niche product, produced in smaller quantities than other DSLRs.

Folks who enjoy the Df are "targeted" in personal attacks or told "what they should want/need." Some of those critics have vanished, but new critics with just a few dozen posts have taken their place. Hmmmm.

The #1 complaint, as pointed out by others, is the PRICE. They moan over the AF, but we all know the AF is very good and so on. The PRICE is the issue and when you hear that; well, one thing is clear: Some of these critics view the Df as out of their reach and that angers them. How do we know this? VERY simple; because they direct the frustration at the people who own the Df too often for it to be anything else.

It's a classic case of sour grapes. Not for everyone of course and a few people here actually spent time with the Df and STILL dislike it. That's valid and I respect that 100% just as I should be respected for not wanting a D4 or D610.

But again, you won't find me bashing those products and calling it "free speech" and saying my negative views should be allowed to troll every positive thread on the Df.

So I agree that it's sour grapes. They like the Df and want it for 2K or less. They can't have it so they're mad. It shows. And that's that.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
The unflagging groundswell...

Boy what a gauntlet this camera has been put through! And it has weathered it all.

As a Nikon shooter I am happy on a couple levels. First I think the production is a daring and impressive move. Secondly, with the quality of the product they executed. This is a win for all of us. I am hopeful that the profit is going to enrich R&D and quality control.

As a Df shooter... well let's not kid ourselves, we don't need to hear how happy I am again

As Nikon shooters we should all be happy with the outcome, if not with the "design."

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads