How do you keep track of your lens cap?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
windriver
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
Left for me
In reply to maljo@inreach.com, 5 months ago

maljo@inreach.com wrote:

Every camera, every time. Make ita habit.

Ditto, but left side here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,635
Like?
Re: Tom and Nippero
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 5 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

I am posting this again because I think my previous contribution to the thread wasn't noticed because of the heading I used.

The Hoocap is brilliant and has won several awards. One touch and it changes from lens cap to lens shade while staying on the lens. Very nicely made. Unfortunately it only is made for one mft lens, the Panasonic 14-42. If enough asked, I am sure they would make other sizes.

http://petapixel.com/2012/09/30/hoocap-a-lens-cap-that-transforms-into-a-hood-and-vice-versa/

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Good idea Mike and they deserve success but if they have to design one for each and every lens then they have an uphill battle. Furthermore whilst they are obviously very good they are expensive and relatively bulky as part of the hood is forever fitted to the lens it is attached to.

I am interested of course but only one Canon lens that I own has one currently made for it out of a very extensive lens collection. That lens of course came with its own oem hood and cap.

Thereby hangs the Hoocap problem.

Someone using just a few lenses which just happened to be on their product list would be well advised to get one but where to for their other lenses if not made for them? Others will just have to wait and will lose interest.

The self-opening petal lens hood is another good idea but it also is restricted by the lens-type it will work on.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom, yes. I use it on a lens that I know will be on my camera more often than not and I wouldn't try to get them for all my lenses.

Another thing to be aware of is filter size. They wont work if you use oversize filters with a filter size adapter (I do this as I use a few cameras and try to get by with just one lot of filters. It isn't such a big deal as I don't have the problem often and the hoocap just clips off into my pocket on those occasions.

It is a good solution if you have something like a small tele walkaround lens

For those that want one, if it isn't available for the particular lens, I'd write to them.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Wilu
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
Re: How do you keep track of your lens cap?
In reply to crypie, 5 months ago

crypie wrote:

I have had my GM-1 for a little over a week and am very happy so far. I don't know if I have anything to contribute outside of the many reviews but one question I have and have not seen much talk about is how you keep track of your lens cap? They are so small and I have already had a couple of times where I had to keep looking around to find mine.

my lens cap is on the lens most of the time. when it isn't, it's in the right pocket of my pants and i'm taking pictures ...or in the left pocket ...or in one of the pockets of my vest ...or it's still in the backpack after i changed lenses in a hurry ...or..........

i guess i'm in the same boat like you

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,805
Like?
Re: Tom and Nippero
In reply to Mike Fewster, 5 months ago

Mike Fewster wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

I am posting this again because I think my previous contribution to the thread wasn't noticed because of the heading I used.

The Hoocap is brilliant and has won several awards. One touch and it changes from lens cap to lens shade while staying on the lens. Very nicely made. Unfortunately it only is made for one mft lens, the Panasonic 14-42. If enough asked, I am sure they would make other sizes.

http://petapixel.com/2012/09/30/hoocap-a-lens-cap-that-transforms-into-a-hood-and-vice-versa/

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Good idea Mike and they deserve success but if they have to design one for each and every lens then they have an uphill battle. Furthermore whilst they are obviously very good they are expensive and relatively bulky as part of the hood is forever fitted to the lens it is attached to.

I am interested of course but only one Canon lens that I own has one currently made for it out of a very extensive lens collection. That lens of course came with its own oem hood and cap.

Thereby hangs the Hoocap problem.

Someone using just a few lenses which just happened to be on their product list would be well advised to get one but where to for their other lenses if not made for them? Others will just have to wait and will lose interest.

The self-opening petal lens hood is another good idea but it also is restricted by the lens-type it will work on.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom, yes. I use it on a lens that I know will be on my camera more often than not and I wouldn't try to get them for all my lenses.

Another thing to be aware of is filter size. They wont work if you use oversize filters with a filter size adapter (I do this as I use a few cameras and try to get by with just one lot of filters. It isn't such a big deal as I don't have the problem often and the hoocap just clips off into my pocket on those occasions.

It is a good solution if you have something like a small tele walkaround lens

For those that want one, if it isn't available for the particular lens, I'd write to them.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Good points Mike, it seems to be  a very effective solution for the walk-around telephoto, from memory quite a lot of their offerings are for telephoto lenses even though the only one that they have that suits a lens that I own is for a Canon EF 24mm f1.4.   If I had them making custom Hoocaps for my little lens fleet they would not be making many others for a while

That was the rub.  Trouble is that most manufactrers like to design their own hood mounting flanges and even within their own lens stock they are generally not interchangeable (ask Canon).  Better if Hoocap made screw on filter-mount caps but then they would not be as nice nor would they necessarily line up their petals.  But they could make an alignment ring with grub screws to lock it correctly.  To my accounting mind it is a very good idea that might struggle for commercial success.  Every new hood has to make a profit on a very small turnover and injection moulds are pretty pricy to make.   They would need the capacity to make their own.

Matin has a two part reversable hood that uses filter ring mount.  One part screws into the filter ring and provides the reversing bayonet mount slots for the main part.  Quite ingenious, the only trouble is that by being a "universal" hood they have to make them pretty wide to clear any possible porky lens barrel and as such even when reversed the hood takes up a fair bit of room.  But a nice prodcut no less and a good solution when there is no other and of course being able to reverse the hood when not in use is a great idea.  They make them in various filter ring sizes and they are of a quality construction if fairly expensive.  Doesn't solve the lens cap problem though.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 848Gear list
Like?
Re: Freemod x-Cap
In reply to megawatt298, 5 months ago

The Freemod x-cap made for the Lumix 14-42x lens works on my GM-1. It uses a pair of blades that open when you extend the lens just like a point and shoot.

http://freemod-design.com/web/en/x-cap-en

It is slightly larger in diameter (2mm) than the 12-32 lens but it works fine.

Interesting, I remember reading about it when I was looking at the 14-42 PZ... Didn't realize it works with the 12-32 (that I eventually got).

About your comment, you mean it protrudes by 2mm out the edges of the fully retracted lens? Does it look kinda goofy on the extended lens? No issues at all in closing and opening during manual collapse/extension?

Lens caps don't bother me a whole lot, but I'm rather tempted to try it on the 12-32, just one less thing to handle when switching lenses...

How does it work anyway? I never looked at it closely enough to figure out the mechanism by which extension of the lens opens the leaves.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
Nippero
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Re: Freemod x-Cap
In reply to Impulses, 5 months ago

Impulses wrote:

The Freemod x-cap made for the Lumix 14-42x lens works on my GM-1. It uses a pair of blades that open when you extend the lens just like a point and shoot.

http://freemod-design.com/web/en/x-cap-en

It is slightly larger in diameter (2mm) than the 12-32 lens but it works fine.

Interesting, I remember reading about it when I was looking at the 14-42 PZ... Didn't realize it works with the 12-32 (that I eventually got).

About your comment, you mean it protrudes by 2mm out the edges of the fully retracted lens? Does it look kinda goofy on the extended lens? No issues at all in closing and opening during manual collapse/extension?

Lens caps don't bother me a whole lot, but I'm rather tempted to try it on the 12-32, just one less thing to handle when switching lenses...

How does it work anyway? I never looked at it closely enough to figure out the mechanism by which extension of the lens opens the leaves.

Whoa now that is interesting... I'd like to know more as well. I have the same questions ^

Any possibility of giving us some pictures of how it looks on the 12-32?

Nippero's gear list:Nippero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +2 more
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,805
Like?
Holier than thou?
In reply to crypie, 5 months ago

After being very proud of not losing a lens cap I have just replaced a pinch cap on a new Sigma lens only to have it spontaneously pop off and fly to the floor after a few steps.  I heard it hit the ground and it was not lost. But a new experience for me - must be jinxed.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads