How do you keep track of your lens cap?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,012
Like?
Re: Check the Hoocap
In reply to crypie, 10 months ago

I am posting this again because I think my previous contribution to the thread wasn't noticed because of the heading I used.

The Hoocap is brilliant and has won several awards. One touch and it changes from lens cap to lens shade while staying on the lens. Very nicely made. Unfortunately it only is made for one mft lens, the Panasonic 14-42. If enough asked, I am sure they would make other sizes.

http://petapixel.com/2012/09/30/hoocap-a-lens-cap-that-transforms-into-a-hood-and-vice-versa/

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,070Gear list
Like?
Re: How do you keep track of your lens cap?
In reply to s_grins, 10 months ago

One more observation:

When it comes to a legacy lenses, buy those who do not have a native lens cap - it can save you a small fortune.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,293Gear list
Like?

To the OP: 42 years ago, I developed the habit of putting all lens caps in my left front pocket.  I've only lost one or two of them in all these years, dozens of lenses, thousands of outings.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,683
Like?
same pocket.

crypie wrote:

I have had my GM-1 for a little over a week and am very happy so far. I don't know if I have anything to contribute outside of the many reviews but one question I have and have not seen much talk about is how you keep track of your lens cap? They are so small and I have already had a couple of times where I had to keep looking around to find mine.

I know there are lots of lens cap systems out there so I'm curious what folks have decided to use for the smaller cameras like the GM-1.

Thanks

My girlfriend is always looking for her lens cap when we're out shooting... like all the time! I just put mine in my pocket when I'm shooting and replace it when I'm done. Have maybe lost one lenscap in 30 years. I don't get why people have such a problem.

For my girlfirend, I just made her buy two extra lens caps for her P20 so it won't be an issue if she can't find it.

-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,777
Like?
I have lost the occasional lens cap...
In reply to tt321, 10 months ago

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Always in the same place. Any lens cap.

Me too. I thought this must have been too lazy and not advisable, but very glad to see more authoritative sources agree!

Over the years, I have lost a lens cap or two (maybe three or four).
But seldom out of my trouser pocket.

More often when I had placed it back on my lens uncarefully and then banged the camera, swinging from my hip, onto something while hiking and then realized that only a mile further.

In that case I replace the expensive Oly cap with a generic cheap one.

I'm glad that so far I have always retrieved the friction-based caps for ZD7-14 and ZD8: thise lenses have no real hood for protection so when they are in use on a hike, I try to keep the cap on while on the move.

(PS : Authorative? Me?)
--
Roel Hendrickx

lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Dave Sanders
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?
Rigid pocket segmentation...and buy extras for cheap

I always buy extra lens caps for cheap, $1.38 each, incl. shipping. They don't have a name emblazoned across the cap (a plus for me) and they're easier to grab and hold better than the stock ones. I have about 5 spares in every size I need. I put the original lens cap in the box shortly after I take the lens out. In use, I always put my lens cap in my right front pocket with my wallet. I usually don't lose it but if I do, I don't care. I just grab another one of my spares.

Inexpensive ebay lens cap

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Remove from lens, insert to pocket, repeat as needed.
In reply to Martin.au, 10 months ago

Martin.au wrote:

Framer wrote:

Haven't lost a cap in 20+ years.

Showoff!!!

No, wait.

That's because you're supposed to take them off to take photos.

***BaDum tish***

LOL...yeah yeah...

Now you have me feeling defensive, I take a LOT of photos, most of them with my lens cap off!

Here are a couple of recent faves...

D800 / Tokina 17-35mm f4

Samsung NX1000 20-50mm II

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,801Gear list
Like?

crypie wrote:

I have had my GM-1 for a little over a week and am very happy so far. I don't know if I have anything to contribute outside of the many reviews but one question I have and have not seen much talk about is how you keep track of your lens cap? They are so small and I have already had a couple of times where I had to keep looking around to find mine.

I know there are lots of lens cap systems out there so I'm curious what folks have decided to use for the smaller cameras like the GM-1.

I'm usually really good at keeping track of things, except lens caps. For a while I used a pocket, but it was a different pocket every time, or so it seemed, which drove me nuts. Then I found a cool impulse buy thing at B&H, a HÜFA Lens Cap Clip that clips on my camera strap. (I tape it in place with electrical tape, too).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/825820-REG/HUFA_101_Lens_Cap_Clip.html

I always replace original lens caps with El Cheapo caps, just in case, too.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +25 more
Taj123
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?

I use a Capgorilla - brilliantly simple

http://www.capgorilla.com/

Taj123's gear list:Taj123's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Canon PowerShot A1400 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +13 more
Elemental Photography
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
Laundry basket

My lens caps usually wind up in a combination of pockets and occasionally go missing until laundry day. I haven't actually lost one yet but I have misplaced them often.

-- hide signature --

A photograph is a creative interpretation of reality.

Elemental Photography's gear list:Elemental Photography's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,189Gear list
Like?
Re: Trouser pocket
In reply to tt321, 10 months ago

Same here. Always the same pocket. The left-hand pocket works best. Most cameras are right-hand oriented, so you take the lens cap off with the left hand. I can imagine losing the cap if somehow you happened to put it in your right-hand pocket. Might show up weeks later.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,801Gear list
Like?
In reply to Taj123, 10 months ago

Taj123 wrote:

I use a Capgorilla - brilliantly simple

http://www.capgorilla.com/

That looks cool, but the smallest cap it handles, according to the web site, is 49mm. There are a lot of M4/3 lenses that use 46mm caps. I even have a couple of lenses that use 43mm caps. Oh well…

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +25 more
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,260Gear list
Like?
I never leave home with them
In reply to Elemental Photography, 10 months ago

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the ultimate solution: leave them in a bin at home. Meanwhile, I leave my lens hoods in the ready position, which protects the front element from accidental contact. One exception: my Bower Fisheye, which needs the cap for protection in the bag.

It works for me.

I do like the look of that Hoocap.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +9 more
maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,694
Like?
Always put it in my right pocket.

Every camera, every time.  Make ita habit.

herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,296
Like?

crypie wrote:

Thanks

When I took up photography, at the back edge of the stone age, I stopped buying T-shirts that didnt have a pocket.  I also gave up sport shirts/dress shirts and jackets that didn't have a functional breast pocket. (some jackets have what looks like a pocket but isnt).

Lens cap goes in pocket, period!

In winter, all my winter coats MUST have a handy pocket, or I wont buy them.

This isnt really a problem if you THINK about it, take the time and trouble to put the lens cap away, EVERY time, even if its for only ONE shot.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,629Gear list
Like?

In my palm or pocket. One lost so far in 40 years.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
James A Rinner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,494Gear list
Like?
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 10 months ago

Same here!

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
James A. Rinner

James A Rinner's gear list:James A Rinner's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
niekirk
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to James A Rinner, 10 months ago

Left trouser pocket.  It's become a habit.

I also have a spare (sometimes two), in almost every size, in my bag.  They're cheap on eBay.

Nippero
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Re: I never leave home with them
In reply to Barry Stewart, 10 months ago

Barry Stewart wrote:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the ultimate solution: leave them in a bin at home. Meanwhile, I leave my lens hoods in the ready position, which protects the front element from accidental contact. One exception: my Bower Fisheye, which needs the cap for protection in the bag.

It works for me.

I do like the look of that Hoocap.

-- hide signature --

Barry

I was about to write the same thing.

For lenses with small front elements, I almost always use no protection since they're quick and easy to clean anyway. For massive front elements (like my Sigma 50/1.4) or for the GM1 which goes in my pocket, I throw on a high quality protection filter.

Nippero's gear list:Nippero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +2 more
Nippero
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Re: Check the Hoocap
In reply to Mike Fewster, 10 months ago

Mike Fewster wrote:

I am posting this again because I think my previous contribution to the thread wasn't noticed because of the heading I used.

The Hoocap is brilliant and has won several awards. One touch and it changes from lens cap to lens shade while staying on the lens. Very nicely made. Unfortunately it only is made for one mft lens, the Panasonic 14-42. If enough asked, I am sure they would make other sizes.

http://petapixel.com/2012/09/30/hoocap-a-lens-cap-that-transforms-into-a-hood-and-vice-versa/

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

I would love to get one of these if they made them for my GM1 kit lens or 20/1.7

They list the Panasonic 14-42 as the only lens supported. I'm assuming compatibility depends on filter size and FL vs hood shape? Any tips on a Hoocap for the GM1 kit's 37mm or the more common 46mm used by many m43 lenses?

Nippero's gear list:Nippero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads