How do you keep track of your lens cap?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
crypie
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
How do you keep track of your lens cap?
10 months ago

I have had my GM-1 for a little over a week and am very happy so far. I don't know if I have anything to contribute outside of the many reviews but one question I have and have not seen much talk about is how you keep track of your lens cap? They are so small and I have already had a couple of times where I had to keep looking around to find mine.

I know there are lots of lens cap systems out there so I'm curious what folks have decided to use for the smaller cameras like the GM-1.

Thanks

Heyseuss Hoolio
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?
Re: How do you keep track of your lens cap?
In reply to crypie, 10 months ago

I usually just put the cap in my pocket when I'm actively taking pictures.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zuikowesty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?
In reply to Heyseuss Hoolio, 10 months ago

Heyseuss Hoolio wrote:

I usually just put the cap in my pocket when I'm actively taking pictures.

Same for me, there's more chance of dropping/losing it if you're taking it on/off all the time. Never lost a cap in my pocket in 30 years, although I've had a few go through the washing machine...

The UV filter is enough - I just clean them when required.

-- hide signature --
 zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,788
Like?
Trouser pocket

Always in the same place.  Any lens cap.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,012
Like?

crypie wrote:

I have had my GM-1 for a little over a week and am very happy so far. I don't know if I have anything to contribute outside of the many reviews but one question I have and have not seen much talk about is how you keep track of your lens cap? They are so small and I have already had a couple of times where I had to keep looking around to find mine.

I know there are lots of lens cap systems out there so I'm curious what folks have decided to use for the smaller cameras like the GM-1.

Thanks

One of the very best gadgets for photography I have ever bought is a HOOcap. Google for it. The lens cap converts to a lens shade and back again at a touch. Well made. Brilliant concept. I use one on an RX1 where the Sony lens cap is a thing of genuine beauty. At well over $200 a lens cap, it needs to be a thing of beauty. I have enjoyed watching Leica owners jaws drop after they have seen and handled that cap. Now it stays at home on my shelf and I get real pleasure in just picking the thing up, but I wouldn't want to risk it by actually using it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 999Gear list
Like?

crypie wrote:

Thanks

B+W filter, then you'll never really need a cap since a B+W filter is relatively dust resistant and so easy to clean. The Digital Pro filters are silver colored, whereas the standard MRC ones are black.

If you do want a cap, you can buy a third party cap that has a lanyard attachment, then you can keep it hooked to the neck strap if you so please. Since most compact lenses for M43 cameras are 37mm or 46mm, you can use the same cap for many different lenses.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,730
Like?

take pictures, you then don't need a lens cap it just gets in the way

-- hide signature --
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,488Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike Fewster, 10 months ago

Neat. Only m4/3rds lens they make one for seems to be the Panasonic 14-42.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,103Gear list
Like?

crypie wrote:

Thanks

As others have said, put it in your pocket every time.

And, don't use one of those lens cap keepers which attach the cap and lens with a string. You are then risking an expensive camera in order to save a cheap lens cap.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
thomasw333
Regular MemberPosts: 495Gear list
Like?

Back pocket, or cargo pocket, depends on pants.

-- hide signature --

Lets promote calm rational arguments.

thomasw333's gear list:thomasw333's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Canon EOS 100D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,600Gear list
Like?

I put mine in my pocket, and occasionally (once) I drop it over the side of a jetty.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +3 more
crypie
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 10 months ago

Thanks for all the answers. Apparently, sometimes the simplest answer is the best - just put it in your pocket and don't worry about it

Guitarfish64
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, 10 months ago

Martin.au wrote:

I put mine in my pocket, and occasionally (once) I drop it over the side of a jetty.

My experience is similar - usually in my pocket, but sometimes I randomly drop it when I'm somewhere really inaccessible. Once off a boat, then most recently from the summit of Mount Ossa (Tasmania's highest mountain) where it went through a crack in the rock and must have fallen 1000ft

Which reminds me, I need to get a generic replacement. I'll probably get 3 while I'm at it (just in case) for half the price of an Olympus branded replacement.

Guitarfish64's gear list:Guitarfish64's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
Martin.au
Like?
In reply to Guitarfish64, 10 months ago

Guitarfish64 wrote:

Martin.au wrote:

My experience is similar - usually in my pocket, but sometimes I randomly drop it when I'm somewhere really inaccessible. Once off a boat, then most recently from the summit of Mount Ossa (Tasmania's highest mountain) where it went through a crack in the rock and must have fallen 1000ft

Which reminds me, I need to get a generic replacement. I'll probably get 3 while I'm at it (just in case) for half the price of an Olympus branded replacement.

I took advantage of my misfortune to buy the shiny metal one for the 75mm.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +3 more
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 4,146Gear list
Like?
Re: Trouser pocket
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 10 months ago

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Always in the same place. Any lens cap.

Me too. I thought this must have been too lazy and not advisable, but very glad to see more authoritative sources agree!

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Remove from lens, insert to pocket, repeat as needed.

Haven't lost a cap in 20+ years.

Rod Baakkonen
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?
Re: Remove from lens, insert to pocket, repeat as needed.
In reply to Framer, 10 months ago

I have a drill press. So I drilled a small hole in the side of the cap. I have a tiny cord  securing the lens cap through the hole. The other end of the string attaches to the barrel of the lens and is secured by a zip tie (black to match the lens) that goes around the barrel of the lens. I usually use two hands to shoot, one on the right side to hold the camera and the second on the lens. The lens cap string is around my little finger as I zoom in or manually focus the camera.

Probably not for everyone, but works well for me.

-- hide signature --

Rod

Rod Baakkonen's gear list:Rod Baakkonen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Camera Raw 7 +1 more
guido1953
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?

I put it in my pocket.

Regards,
Guido

Martin.au
Like?
Re: Remove from lens, insert to pocket, repeat as needed.
In reply to Framer, 10 months ago

Framer wrote:

Haven't lost a cap in 20+ years.

Showoff!!!

No, wait.

That's because you're supposed to take them off to take photos.

***BaDum tish***

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,086Gear list
Like?

There are just a few ways to solve the problem.

1. Attach to every lens cap a GPS transmitter

2. Write down in your notebook current location of the lens cap after you change location (keep location of the notebook in the in a separate notebook)

3. Buy a bag of lens caps with sizes that are relevant to your lenses. You lost the cap - you have a replacement right in your hand.

4. If you have a spouse, ask him/her to carry the cap. In this case you have someone to blame and bully if cap went missing.

This list can be continued by those who have a wealth of experience in tracking and capturing of fugitive caps.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads