Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10... Locked

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
PINOYE90
New MemberPosts: 13
Re: GX7, EM10 (and A6000)
In reply to neil holmes, 8 months ago

Ordered the black GX7 with kit lense/32gb card/5yr spill drop warranty/clear filter... less than $1000...

now the wait begins...

neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,207
Re: GX7, EM10 (and A6000)
In reply to PINOYE90, 8 months ago

PINOYE90 wrote:

Ordered the black GX7 with kit lense/32gb card/5yr spill drop warranty/clear filter... less than $1000...

now the wait begins...

Hope you enjoy it!

Have fun.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,673Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to dgrogers, 8 months ago

dgrogers wrote:

captura wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

captura wrote:

News for you: FE's are E-mounts, too.

Thanks for the laugh. FE mount is an FE mount, not an E mount. Why would anybody want to use a lens designed for another system?

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

Just a kind suggestion for you: - in future when you are tempted to say something which might be wrong or stupid, try asking Mr. Google first!

FE lenses share the E-mount with the APS-C (former NEX) lenses.

Sony FE (full frame) lenses on NEX? - Steve's Digicams Forums

sony-alpha-nex/ 209459-sony-fe-full-frame-lenses-nex.html'>forums.steves-digicams.com/ sony-alpha-nex/ 209459-sony-fe-full-frame-lenses-nex.html

"I just stumbled upon a recent test of the Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* SEL55F18Z at SLRGear.com. They tested that lens on both a 'Full Frame' A7R and an APS-C NEX-7. That would seem to indicate that 'FE' lenses work on 'E' bodies."

They are compatible, so what? We all know that. It's still a kludge. Making a lens designed for one mount compatible with another does not change anything. If you listen to this point carefully, it might not go over your head this time.

-- hide signature --

Compatible? You just finished saying they were from two different systems, (therefore implying incompatibility.) You are back-pedalling.

"Thanks for the laugh. FE mount is an FE mount, not an E mount. Why would anybody want to use a lens designed for another system?"

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,673Gear list
In reply to dgrogers, 8 months ago

dgrogers wrote:

captura wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

captura wrote:

Thanks for the laugh. FE mount is an FE mount, not an E mount. Why would anybody want to use a lens designed for another system?

-- hide signature --

Just a kind suggestion for you: - in future when you are tempted to say something which might be wrong or stupid, try asking Mr. Google first!

sony-alpha-nex/ 209459-sony-fe-full-frame-lenses-nex.html'>forums.steves-digicams.com/ sony-alpha-nex/ 209459-sony-fe-full-frame-lenses-nex.html

"I just stumbled upon a recent test of the Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* SEL55F18Z at SLRGear.com. They tested that lens on both a 'Full Frame' A7R and an APS-C NEX-7. That would seem to indicate that 'FE' lenses work on 'E' bodies."

They are compatible, so what? We all know that. It's still a kludge. Making a lens designed for one mount compatible with another does not change anything. If you listen to this point carefully, it might not go over your head this time.

-- hide signature --

Your rudeness is not tolerable and against forum rules. Welcome to my ignore list!

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
arf1410
New MemberPosts: 7
In reply to captura, 8 months ago

A couple of questions on things posted in this thread

/1/ Is there some reason to believe the GX7 price drop to $874 is temporary?

/2/ Are there any review around providing feedback from people who have actually used their Adorama or B&H (or other, for that matter) extended camera warranties.  I've found some of positive reviews from people who "love the piece of mind" the extended warranty gives, them, but no reviews from people who have actually used the products. To me that is like providing a camera review, without actually removing the camera from the box it came in.

Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
In reply to Mellowmark, 8 months ago

Mellowmark wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

Unless you're shooting video, go with the Olympus... You can put a Panasonic lens on an olympus body but you can't put an Olympus lens on a Panasonic body as the Panasonic body has no IS. The clear decision then becomes how much you want to spend and whether you want a rangefinder style body or a DSLR style body.

You then have the option of a PEN, or OMD... The PENs are a little cheaper with not much compromise until you get to the OMD-EM1 which has phase detect auto focus. That means you can point your lens at a clear blue sky, or grey brick wall with no contrasty areas and still have your camera focus

I often use my Olympus 40-150 on my Panasonic G3 even though I have the 45-200 Panasonic lens (with IS) as the Olympus is a far better lens. In low light I use a tripod and in good light I just make sure the shutter speed is high enough (and often needs to be anyway for moving subjects).

IBIS is great to have but it's usefulness can be (and often is) exaggerated - it's most useful only in certain specific situations (mainly in low light with static subjects in order to keep the ISO down) - situations where I would usually use a tripod anyway. It's very useful in low light for static subjects, where tripods are not allowed (museums, some cathedrals and other interiors) but not many people will be doing that kind of thing as a significant part of their photography.

For shorter focal lengths (eg Olympus 45mm) I usually need to keep the shutter speed above 1/60 anyway to ensure sharp shots of moving subjects (eg bands/ singers at gigs) so even in low light IBIS would be of little or no use and in good light at f1.8 - f2.8 your shutter speed will be plenty high enough anyway. My Panasonic 20mm has no IS and that has very seldom been a problem and there are often workarounds for the rare occasions when it is.

Not sure why or when anyone would want a clear blue sky to be their focal point either?

See I can shoot below 1/25 with IBIS enabled and that really helps particularly late into the evening. As for clear blue skies.... When you're shooting landscapes you get a lot of that where CDAF focus is absolutely hopeless... focus in... focus out... focus in... focus out... nope... just plain old focus fail... This is where PDAF would make a huge different...

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Lumixdude

PINOYE90 wrote:

This is the OP... Thank you guys for the advice/input... This is great forum...

I do not like Sony because i worked for Panasonic (Automotive business)...

I considered EM-10 because it is cheaper...

I am now 80% decided with GX7 with kit 14-42... ($874) from BH/Adorama...

Is this good deal? this is the best i have seen this week... cheaper than amazon...

I am leaning towards adorama because their spill/drop warranty is cheaper $65 for 5 years...

Should I pull the trigger now? I can wait 2-3 more weeks... I am now excited to pull the trigger on this... and want to order today

It's a good camera, on two assumptions... One being that you need to shoot video, in which case, Panasonic all the way. The second that you have a need for PDAF at some point or another... Otherwise as I keep coming back to... You're spending $500 more on an E-PL5 which has the same feature set minus the video and minus the ability to mount Four Thirds lenses...

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,195Gear list
In reply to arf1410, 8 months ago

arf1410 wrote:

A couple of questions on things posted in this thread

/1/ Is there some reason to believe the GX7 price drop to $874 is temporary?

/2/ Are there any review around providing feedback from people who have actually used their Adorama or B&H (or other, for that matter) extended camera warranties. I've found some of positive reviews from people who "love the piece of mind" the extended warranty gives, them, but no reviews from people who have actually used the products. To me that is like providing a camera review, without actually removing the camera from the box it came in.

I bought an extended warrantee (with accidental damage coverage) along with my G2 from B&H, and about a month later proceeded to break the LCD screen after the camera slid off my lap when I was changing lenses.  I sent it in under the extended/accidental damage warrantee, and it came back fixed, in a reasonable amount of time, and at no charge.

-J

Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 4,424Gear list
FE lenses are a kludge.

captura wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

captura wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

captura wrote:

-- hide signature --

You are right it is a total kludge and look at the prices on those FE lenses!

Thom Hogan asked if there would be anymore E lenses and the only thing Sony would say is FE lens fit on APS cameras (which Thom took as "no" because if the was "yes" there would be have bee a straight answer).

Here is what some FE lenses look like on APS cameras...so much for small size!

http://camerasize.com/compact/#508.392,491.366,ha,t

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 4,424Gear list
Don't wait months

captura wrote:

PINOYE90 wrote:

Is this good deal? this is the best i have seen this week... cheaper than amazon...

I am leaning towards adorama because their spill/drop warranty is cheaper $65 for 5 years...

Should I pull the trigger now? I can wait 2-3 more weeks... I am now excited to pull the trigger on this... and want to order today

Thanks for asking. I'd wait for a couple of months to get the new Sony A6000.

First you guys said wait for the A5000, then when it turned out to be pretty stripped down, it became wait MONTHS for the A6000. Notice how it is never "buy a camera that is available today"?

Get the GX7. It focuses faster than any NEX and does better video too. Lenses are better, you get IBIS, and you won't be sitting around waiting months hoping a cameras ends up being what the marketing claims.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Lumixdude
Re: FE lenses are a kludge.
In reply to Lab D, 8 months ago

Lab D wrote:

Thom Hogan asked if there would be anymore E lenses and the only thing Sony would say is FE lens fit on APS cameras (which Thom took as "no" because if the was "yes" there would be have bee a straight answer).

Here is what some FE lenses look like on APS cameras...so much for small size!

If there is no answer in corporate speak that means no... It's a shame.. NEX had lots of potential, that only leaves Fuji. Both Canon and Nikon only continue to let APS-C exist in order to lock people into buying larger full frame lenses and cameras eventually. So if you want an alternative to Canikon the only answer categorically at this stage is Micro Four Thirds... I really hope Fuji changes this, because there is a lot to like about what Fuji is doing.

NilsBV
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list

It's a lens, not a lense.

NilsBV's gear list:NilsBV's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Sony SLT-A55 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-50 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +13 more
One_Oldman_4U
Senior MemberPosts: 1,167Gear list

PINOYE90 wrote:

Currently have 7 yrs old Nikon D40 with kit lense 18-135mm...
The past year... i dont want to use it because its bulky/big/heavy...

Going from what camera you mentioned (Nikon D40 w/ 18-135), I presume that you want to keep the same focal range.

Now... I have a go signal from wife to get new smaller camera...

I am researching/comparing the 2 cameras... i am lost... its like choosing between blonde or brunette...

My observation based on reading this forum for 1 week... GX7 is better camera than EM10... However, i like the black color of the EM10 and it looks like EM10 is cheaper...

Both are good cameras. GX7 also comes in black

Is it better to get the camera with the kit lense? or its better to just get the buy the camera body and get the separate lense... What lense should i get??? I actually prefer the pancake style lense... because its not bulky...

I would use the camera for some family vacations and sometimes taking sport pics for my kids...

The kit lens that comes with both GX7 and the EM-10 are good and it's a good way to start. Taking sports pics of kids, you might want a longer reach lens like the Panasonic 45-150 or the Olympus 40-150, both are inexpensive. They're both good outdoors with bright light. Indoor sports, you need a faster lens but cost a bit more.

BUT if you wand a All-In-One lens, the new 14-150 ver II (Mega OIS) from Panasonic is an excellent lens but a little more expensive. Olympus also has a 14-150 but it's a bit slower. Both are good outdoors

Please note... i am not expert in photography... My old DSLR is 98% always in Auto...

Just keep visiting and researching this forum and you will learn a lot. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are a lot of good people here that are willing to help.

Hopefully... the new camera will make me intersted in learning about digital photography... ISO/Apperture/shutterspeed and all that stuff

Thanks!

My suggestion is get a camera with kit lens. Both are good cameras. If you can, go to a camera store and personally handle the camera to see which one is more comportable in your hands. This make a big difference on how you take better pictures. In the future, you can always sell the kit lens to offset the cost if you want to upgrade to a better one like the Pana 14-150 to cover from wide angle to tele photo.

Hope this helps.

Mabuhay!

BTW, I got the Panasonic GM1 with kit lens as an upgrade to my LX7. Great little camera.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
---
RiK
---
"It is not the equipment that makes a photograph but the person behind the equipment and it's not how sharp the images are but how they convey the message."
---
LX7, FZ200, Nikon 1 V1 with 10-100VR

One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
zkz5
Contributing MemberPosts: 662Gear list

captura wrote:

The new Sony A6000 will be smaller, higher IQ, faster and cheaper. Similar rangefinder-type styling.

faster? How do you know that? Have you used one?

I tried a 5T two months ago. One major annoyance of mine was that when cycling through the mini/quick menu thing it would take around half a second to move from one menu item to the next.

Sony isn't the only camera maker to have this problem, but one thing I've liked about every Panasonic body I've owned is the responsiveness of the user interface. I never see any delays like that.

rube39
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,776Gear list
In reply to zkz5, 8 months ago

Nobody mentioned the Nikon V1.

My wife moved from a D40 to the V1, and really appreciates the size and how easy it is just to shoot with. The kit lens is fine, the 30-110 (28 -300 mme) is great, and the 18.5 (50mme) is small, fast and excellent. I realize that the Nikon mirrorless gets short shrift on most forums, but for someone who wants something small, cheap, easy to use and with a number of useful lenses, it deserves consideration. Plus it has the fastest AF around. And a built in EVF.

Personally, I usually shoot with my EM-5 and Ricoh GR, but I also have a J3 (which I bought for the 10-100 kit lens at a great price). I gave the lens to the wife, and use the J3 for fun and sideline sports, so I can recommend the N1 series without hesitation to the OP and others like him.

-- hide signature --

Rube

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
In reply to rube39, 8 months ago

rube39 wrote:

Nobody mentioned the Nikon V1.

My wife moved from a D40 to the V1, and really appreciates the size and how easy it is just to shoot with. The kit lens is fine, the 30-110 (28 -300 mme) is great, and the 18.5 (50mme) is small, fast and excellent. I realize that the Nikon mirrorless gets short shrift on most forums, but for someone who wants something small, cheap, easy to use and with a number of useful lenses, it deserves consideration. Plus it has the fastest AF around. And a built in EVF.

The Nikon 1 system isn't bad, its just that the cameras are about the same size as the Olympus EPLx and EPMx and GF6, with a much smaller sensor and a limited selection of lenses. I and a majority here would get a GM1 before one of those.

That said, I've got my eye on the Nikon AW1 two-lens kit to replace my Olympus Tough TG1 camera for snorkeling, etc.. It's a decent compact, but there are things about it that irritate me. The AW's image quality is much better and the 10mm lens looks good. A nice compact little kit.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,171Gear list
Re: Don't wait months

Lab D wrote:

captura wrote:

PINOYE90 wrote:

Thanks for asking. I'd wait for a couple of months to get the new Sony A6000.

First you guys said wait for the A5000, then when it turned out to be pretty stripped down, it became wait MONTHS for the A6000. Notice how it is never "buy a camera that is available today"?

Get the GX7. It focuses faster than any NEX and does better video too. Lenses are better, you get IBIS, and you won't be sitting around waiting months hoping a cameras ends up being what the marketing claims.

I'd wait a couple of months the get the A6000 for sure!

Check the user reviews coming in - it is better than claimed!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,171Gear list
Re: FE lenses are a kludge.

Lab D wrote:

captura wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

captura wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

captura wrote:

-- hide signature --

Here is what some FE lenses look like on APS cameras...so much for small size!

How is this different from FF and APS-C A-mount lenses? FF and APS-C E-mount lenses are the same. They are both called SELxxx - the FE nickname is just to separate full-frame image circle from APS-C E nickname.

Fwiw, the FE lenses are generating a lot of excitement, and their sizes are considered small. I guess you have not really read up on any of this, have you?

If the lenses are too big for your taste, get an m43 camera - isn't that your point?

Lol, FE and E lenses are both E mount lenses, and they work on both FF and APS-C E-mount cameras (nicknamed FE and E). Confusing, I am sure. Brilliant, as well.

Fwiw, I have been using FF lenses on my APS-C Nex cameras for years. They are not that big

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Mellowmark
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
In reply to Lumixdude, 8 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

As for clear blue skies.... When you're shooting landscapes you get a lot of that where CDAF focus is absolutely hopeless... focus in... focus out... focus in... focus out... nope... just plain old focus fail... This is where PDAF would make a huge different...

But why would you ever want to focus on a blue sky? In a landscape photo you usually want everything to appear in focus, so would focus on something at hyperfocal distance or if not then roughly a third of a way in to the scene.

Mellowmark's gear list:Mellowmark's gear list
Sony RX100
Aaron801
Contributing MemberPosts: 649

With those choices, I think I'd be interested in the GX7 or as I think I mentioned before a used EM-5. Still, even as a m4/3 user, I might take a look at that Sony as it does seem like it might be a great deal. I certainly like the range of lenses for the m4/3 system, but mostly because it seems like with that might choice I can find something I'd want for cheap (only planning on having a select few lenses anyway). It's true that there doesn't seem to be nearly the choices for the Sony lenses and the ones that they have due to the format are bulkier... even so the idea of that extra IQ in a relatively small camera is intriguing and it might be worth a few compromises to have that.

You just need to look at all of the plusses/minuses and decide which ones are most important... max IQ, portability, lens choices. The truth is that all of these cameras take pretty nice shots, are pretty compact and accept a variety of pretty nice lenses...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads