Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10... Locked

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
PINOYE90
New MemberPosts: 13
Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
9 months ago

Currently have 7 yrs old Nikon D40 with kit lense 18-135mm...
The past year... i dont want to use it because its bulky/big/heavy...

Now... I have a go signal from wife to get new smaller camera...

I am researching/comparing the 2 cameras... i am lost... its like choosing between blonde or brunette...

My observation based on reading this forum for 1 week... GX7 is better camera than EM10... However, i like the black color of the EM10 and it looks like EM10 is cheaper...

Is it better to get the camera with the  kit lense? or its better to just get the buy the camera body and get the separate lense...  What lense should i get??? I actually prefer the pancake style lense... because its not bulky...

I would use the camera for some family vacations and sometimes taking sport pics for my kids...

Please note... i am not expert in photography... My old DSLR is 98% always in Auto...

Hopefully... the new camera will make me intersted in learning about digital photography... ISO/Apperture/shutterspeed and all that stuff

Thanks!

Nikon D40 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
infiniti029
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to PINOYE90, 9 months ago

Like you said, it's a bit of a toss up. My recommendation is get the one that feels better in your hands. You might not like the stock grip on the OMD.

Given that you're starting off and are used to a zoom lens, I recommend starting off with the kit lens and then figuring out if you want to try a prime down the road (perhaps the new Oly 25mm 1.8 prime).

btw - the GX7 does come in all black also, in case you wanna be ninja.

 infiniti029's gear list:infiniti029's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,587
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to PINOYE90, 9 months ago

PINOYE90 wrote:

Currently have 7 yrs old Nikon D40 with kit lense 18-135mm...
The past year... i dont want to use it because its bulky/big/heavy...

Now... I have a go signal from wife to get new smaller camera...

I am researching/comparing the 2 cameras... i am lost... its like choosing between blonde or brunette...

My observation based on reading this forum for 1 week... GX7 is better camera than EM10... However, i like the black color of the EM10 and it looks like EM10 is cheaper...

Is it better to get the camera with the kit lense? or its better to just get the buy the camera body and get the separate lense... What lense should i get??? I actually prefer the pancake style lense... because its not bulky...

I would use the camera for some family vacations and sometimes taking sport pics for my kids...

Please note... i am not expert in photography... My old DSLR is 98% always in Auto...

Hopefully... the new camera will make me intersted in learning about digital photography... ISO/Apperture/shutterspeed and all that stuff

Thanks!

98% in auto, why even bother with an ILC camera.  Why not get yourself a good ultrazoom/P&S that has full controls and learn your craft on that and save a lot of money in the process.  You'll probably get better IQ than from a GX7 or EM10 given the way that you use it.  This is meant as constructive comment, I hope it reads like that.

-- hide signature --
BillSprague
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to PINOYE90, 9 months ago

I almost bought a Sony RX10 in December.  I have been a very happy RX100 user for 18 months.  The RX10 seems to have everything the automatic shooter wants and plenty for the times manual is required.  It is compact, one piece and sealed.

But, I wanted the option of a long zoom.  So first I picked out the Panasonic 100-300 with image stabilization.  For a body in the Panasonic line the GX7 seemed about right for the lens.  To make the camera useful for things beside long zoom I got it with the kit lens.

In many ways I think it comes down to a dart toss that picks a camera withing a group that is appealing.  Then, you learn how to use it for best results.  In other words, the tool is less signiicant than the user's way of using the tool.

So far, I am very pleased with the GX7.  But I still find the RX100 in my pocket a lot when I might get some unexpected shooting opportunities.

FWIW, I didn't get to get the GX7 or the RX100 until "cleared for purchase".

-- hide signature --

Bill Sprague

PS:

 BillSprague's gear list:BillSprague's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,362Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to PINOYE90, 9 months ago

A GX7 with the 20mm II kit lens gives you an excellent lens and a great lens buy, especially if you shop around for price for the kit combination a bit. That is what I would do, but have the 20mm I already that I bought with my GF1. Still use it constantly.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

 FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,657Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to FrankS009, 9 months ago

FrankS009 wrote:

A GX7 with the 20mm II kit lens gives you an excellent lens and a great lens buy, especially if you shop around for price for the kit combination a bit. That is what I would do, but have the 20mm I already that I bought with my GF1. Still use it constantly.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

I agree.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

 Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,165Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to PINOYE90, 9 months ago

Hi PINOYE90.

I'd like to introduce you to the Redhead. She's a bit shy and hides in the shadows a lot. Because she is the new girl in the group. But she may be the best looking, smartest, fastest running and built to make more bambinos than her friends, if that is your heart's desire. She is the Sony A6000. Highest IQ projected, 24 MP fast hybrid PDAF sensor, good lenses, focus tracking, fastest AF in the world, according to her Creator!

Have fun choosing between the three of them, and sorry you didn't know about this beauty!

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Aaron801
Contributing MemberPosts: 772Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to PINOYE90, 9 months ago

I'd be looking for used deals... Why not get a used EM-5, which is by all accounts a nicer ca era than a EM-10 and is probably the same price or less if you go used. For that matter look at a GH2. That's what I have and have been pretty happy with it and that can be found for even cheer than the aforementioned two, which would give you some extra money for another lens perhaps... or tripod. flash, etc.

 Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,998Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to captura, 9 months ago

captura wrote:

Hi PINOYE90.

I'd like to introduce you to the Redhead. She's a bit shy and hides in the shadows a lot. Because she is the new girl in the group. But she may be the best looking, smartest, fastest running and built to make more bambinos than her friends, if that is your heart's desire. She is the Sony A6000. Highest IQ projected, 24 MP fast hybrid PDAF sensor, good lenses, focus tracking, fastest AF in the world, according to her Creator!

Have fun choosing between the three of them, and sorry you didn't know about this beauty!

In terms of analogy, you've mislead the OP:

When talking about M43, is is correct to call her a Redhead because she is swift, nimble, and quite a handy girl.

Talking about A6000 it is better to call her Cinderella - very shy

and Talking about alpha 7/7R you can call her a Sleeping Beauty - promises more that can deliver

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,230Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to Aaron801, 9 months ago

To the OP:  You need to decide if you want compact size (GX7, GM1, or Oly EP/L/M-x) vs. feel and ergonomics of a small DSLR-type camera.   And all the EM cameras are not much smaller than a DX Canon SL1.   The Sony A6000 is not even being delivered yet, with an entirely new sensor, so Idk how previous poster could make such an emphatic recommendation.  Not to mention that the Sony lenses will be way bigger than Olympus glass with comparable fields of view.

 PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +23 more
dgrogers
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,678Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to PINOYE90, 9 months ago

PINOYE90 wrote:

Currently have 7 yrs old Nikon D40 with kit lense 18-135mm...
The past year... i dont want to use it because its bulky/big/heavy...

Now... I have a go signal from wife to get new smaller camera...

I am researching/comparing the 2 cameras... i am lost... its like choosing between blonde or brunette...

My observation based on reading this forum for 1 week... GX7 is better camera than EM10... However, i like the black color of the EM10 and it looks like EM10 is cheaper...

Is it better to get the camera with the kit lense? or its better to just get the buy the camera body and get the separate lense... What lense should i get??? I actually prefer the pancake style lense... because its not bulky...

I would use the camera for some family vacations and sometimes taking sport pics for my kids...

Please note... i am not expert in photography... My old DSLR is 98% always in Auto...

Hopefully... the new camera will make me intersted in learning about digital photography... ISO/Apperture/shutterspeed and all that stuff

Thanks!

You will likely be happy with either, but it sounds like you are buying much more camera than you need in either case. Each has their advantages and disadvantages, but you will have more money to spend on a lens if you go with the E-M10. On the other hand, perhaps a smaller m4/3 camera such as the GM1 would better suit your needs.

The GX7 has a faster maximum shutter speed (one stop) and a faster flash sync speed than the E-M10. It also may have a slightly better built body (magnesium alloy vs aluminum frame). Neither are weather resistant. I do not know how well the GX7s IBIS works, but I do know it is needlessly limited to photos only. For some reason, Panasonic deemed it not worthy of video. The E-M10 also has a faster burst rate and may have higher performance (speed of operation) overall (Olympus cameras, especially at this level, are known for their high performance). The GX7 will likely be better for video (haven't looked in to it, but Panasonic usually is) except for that gimped IBIS. I think the E-M10 is capable of recognizing eyes on a face and focusing on them, which is another neat feature, as is the live bulb feature where you can see an image develop on the LCD when shooting in bulb mode and stop it when you are happy with the exposure.

One more point to consider.  O-MDs have a ton of options and are highly configurable.  To some, these options and configuration options add more complexity than they care for.  Others really appreciate the power.

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,165Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to s_grins, 9 months ago

s_grins wrote:

captura wrote:

Hi PINOYE90.

I'd like to introduce you to the Redhead. She's a bit shy and hides in the shadows a lot. Because she is the new girl in the group. But she may be the best looking, smartest, fastest running and built to make more bambinos than her friends, if that is your heart's desire. She is the Sony A6000. Highest IQ projected, 24 MP fast hybrid PDAF sensor, good lenses, focus tracking, fastest AF in the world, according to her Creator!

Have fun choosing between the three of them, and sorry you didn't know about this beauty!

In terms of analogy, you've mislead the OP:

When talking about M43, is is correct to call her a Redhead because she is swift, nimble, and quite a handy girl.

Talking about A6000 it is better to call her Cinderella - very shy

and Talking about alpha 7/7R you can call her a Sleeping Beauty - promises more that can deliver

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

Might be...She became a redhead because the OP said he already had a blonde and a brunette at the party. I could have called her a blackhead....

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,165Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to Aaron801, 9 months ago

E-PL5 ?

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,745Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to PSCL1, 9 months ago

PSCL1 wrote:

To the OP: You need to decide if you want compact size (GX7, GM1, or Oly EP/L/M-x) vs. feel and ergonomics of a small DSLR-type camera. And all the EM cameras are not much smaller than a DX Canon SL1.

I brought a friend to B&H last week to give her an overview of cameras around $700. Nikon, Canon, Pentax APSCs and M4/3 cameras. I can ASSURE you, the Canon SL1 is massive in comparison to the OMDs, especially the EM10. My GX7 looked awfully small next to it. Don't forget to compare lens sizes!

http://camerasize.com/compact/#521,448,472,ha,t

http://camerasize.com/compact/#521.92,448.23,472.374,ha,t

BTW, she bought a GX7.

 jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,998Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to captura, 9 months ago

captura wrote:

s_grins wrote:

captura wrote:

Hi PINOYE90.

I'd like to introduce you to the Redhead. She's a bit shy and hides in the shadows a lot. Because she is the new girl in the group. But she may be the best looking, smartest, fastest running and built to make more bambinos than her friends, if that is your heart's desire. She is the Sony A6000. Highest IQ projected, 24 MP fast hybrid PDAF sensor, good lenses, focus tracking, fastest AF in the world, according to her Creator!

Have fun choosing between the three of them, and sorry you didn't know about this beauty!

In terms of analogy, you've mislead the OP:

When talking about M43, is is correct to call her a Redhead because she is swift, nimble, and quite a handy girl.

Talking about A6000 it is better to call her Cinderella - very shy

and Talking about alpha 7/7R you can call her a Sleeping Beauty - promises more that can deliver

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

Might be...She became a redhead because the OP said he already had a blonde and a brunette at the party. I could have called her a blackhead....

Rusty...

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
aemari
New MemberPosts: 14
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to PINOYE90, 9 months ago

I am in the exact same situation. I currently use a Nikon D90, but use it quite frequently out of Auto and have more than a few lenses for it. But I have found that I take it around less and less due to size and bulk. Have been using my little P&S Canon S90, but miss the interchangeable lens with the DSLR. Wanted something smaller and lighter.

I have on order an Olympus OMD-EM10 and am anxious to start using it. I also looked at the Panasonic GX7. One commenter suggested that going with the one that feels best in your hands, but unfortunately there are no camera stores around me that carry the Panasonic camera line, so I was not able to physically hold one. I did see am EM5 in a store and it felt very small compared to what I am used to. The grip was less formidable compared to the DSLR, but better than a lot of P&S cameras and some CSC cameras that I have seen on line.

So why did I go with the EM10? I felt that for the price, the EM10 better fit my needs and wants. I was able to get the EM10 with the new pancake 14-42 lens and 40-150 zoom lens for little more than the cost of the Panasonic camera body only. This gives me the equivalent of 28-300 mm in a very small package. And if the grip is not enough, there is a very affordable additional grip, although not a battery pack.

Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to aemari, 9 months ago

Unless you're shooting video, go with the Olympus... You can put a Panasonic lens on an olympus body but you can't put an Olympus lens on a Panasonic body as the Panasonic body has no IS. The clear decision then becomes how much you want to spend and whether you want a rangefinder style body or a DSLR style body.

You then have the option of a PEN, or OMD... The PENs are a little cheaper with not much compromise until you get to the OMD-EM1 which has phase detect auto focus. That means you can point your lens at a clear blue sky, or grey brick wall with no contrasty areas and still have your camera focus

 Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
miketala
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to Lumixdude, 9 months ago

Unless you're shooting video, go with the Olympus... You can put a Panasonic lens on an olympus body but you can't put an Olympus lens on a Panasonic body as the Panasonic body has no IS. The clear decision then becomes how much you want to spend and whether you want a rangefinder style body or a DSLR style body.

You then have the option of a PEN, or OMD... The PENs are a little cheaper with not much compromise until you get to the OMD-EM1 which has phase detect auto focus. That means you can point your lens at a clear blue sky, or grey brick wall with no contrasty areas and still have your camera focus

Last post says Panasonic has no ibis. Gx7 has ibis, though likely not as capable as the oly.

Pic Man
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to Lumixdude, 9 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

Unless you're shooting video, go with the Olympus... You can put a Panasonic lens on an olympus body but you can't put an Olympus lens on a Panasonic body as the Panasonic body has no IS. The clear decision then becomes how much you want to spend and whether you want a rangefinder style body or a DSLR style body.

So you need IS to take a picture now? The GX7 has in body IS BTW.

You then have the option of a PEN, or OMD... The PENs are a little cheaper with not much compromise until you get to the OMD-EM1 which has phase detect auto focus. That means you can point your lens at a clear blue sky, or grey brick wall with no contrasty areas and still have your camera focus

Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to Pic Man, 9 months ago

You don't need it but it certainly helps a lot... and the Olympus option is still superior where my E-PL5 has the same amount of IBIS points. Yes, I'm wrong... 2 IBIS points vs. 5 on the OMD. However, you then start to look at video as I stated and the Panasonic option is superior... I can live with 2 IBIS points but when it's $500 more expensive than an E-PL5? and PDAF doesn't work with non-optomised micro four thirds lenses anyway... Well... Unless you like video you have a $500 more expensive E-PL5.

 Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads