Nikon Df Review Bombs...Kinda

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
mailman88
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890Gear list
Like?
Nikon Df Review Bombs...Kinda
7 months ago
 mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +4 more
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dgrPhotos
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon Df Review Bombs...Kinda
In reply to mailman88, 7 months ago

Seems like the biggest complaint is value and that will be different for everyone.

dgrPhotos's gear list:dgrPhotos's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon D70s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David G72
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?

Does anyone even take these guys seriously? Their review sucks with horrible sample images...

-- hide signature --

Regards,
David

David G72's gear list:David G72's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,726Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon Df Review, by mediocre reviewer.
In reply to David G72, 7 months ago

David G72 wrote:

Does anyone even take these guys seriously? Their review sucks with horrible sample images...

-- hide signature --

Regards,
David

Agreed. The factual and grammatical errors in the first few paragraphs told me all I needed to know about this blog's credibility. One such example of the former is that this blogger seems largely ignorant of Nikon's lens line-up. If I knew nothing about the Df, this review would be a "fail."

I say this as a rather harsh critic of the Df, whose only real interest is the D4 sensor in a smaller form factor, for my night shooting. I can be "pure" and retro with my FM3A cameras.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +25 more
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
Another favorable review

I just love the hyperbole spewed by the Df birthers.

i found that to be quite favorable review. While I take exception with some of the claims all in all they touched on the pluses that made me purchase it.

The Df by virtue of its design can't win over typical DSLR reviews. It can though- score better if it has upgraded AF, 1/8000, dedicated format button. though there are some cut a pastes from other reviews (mistakenly referring to the D610 shutter) I have always said it is a try before you buy camera- for some.

all in all- no surprises. Seems the groundswell is beginning to affect the reviews a bit.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +6 more
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150
Like?
The thing about the Df is

it only appeals to a very specific niche of people, well maybe two niches.  One is those who like the cosmetic design and/or old school dials so much they are willing to pay a premium over the D610 to get them and the other is people who want the absolutely best sensor for high ISO shooting but can't or don't want to pay for a D4 and/or don't want to have to to lug such a large camera around.  To those who dont' fall into those categories the Df is just an overpriced D610 with less features and a new set of clothes. In other words, pointless.  To the people that do, especially the ones in the first category,  it is the best Nikon camera ever. With such divergent,  completely opposite, and emotionally charged opinions and no one really being able to see from or accept the other sides point of view it is no wonder there is so much angst surrounding the camera.

Iliah Borg
Forum ProPosts: 16,085
Like?
Re: The thing about the Df is
In reply to Josh152, 7 months ago

Josh152 wrote:

it only appeals to a very specific niche of people, well maybe two niches. One is those who like the cosmetic design and/or old school dials so much they are willing to pay a premium over the D610 to get them and the other is people who want the absolutely best sensor for high ISO shooting but can't or don't want to pay for a D4 and/or don't want to have to to lug such a large camera around. To those who dont' fall into those categories the Df is just an overpriced D610 with less features and a new set of clothes. In other words, pointless. To the people that do, especially the ones in the first category, it is the best Nikon camera ever. With such divergent, completely opposite, and emotionally charged opinions and no one really being able to see from or accept the other sides point of view it is no wonder there is so much angst surrounding the camera.

Ever tried to shoot with two D4 cameras because you have no time to change lenses? How's your neck?

-- hide signature --
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,731Gear list
Like?
Yawn (nt)
No text.
 user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Leica M8
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?

Josh152 wrote:

it only appeals to a very specific niche of people, well maybe two niches. One is those who like the cosmetic design and/or old school dials so much they are willing to pay a premium over the D610 to get them and the other is people who want the absolutely best sensor for high ISO shooting but can't or don't want to pay for a D4 and/or don't want to have to to lug such a large camera around. To those who dont' fall into those categories the Df is just an overpriced D610 with less features and a new set of clothes. In other words, pointless. To the people that do, especially the ones in the first category, it is the best Nikon camera ever. With such divergent, completely opposite, and emotionally charged opinions and no one really being able to see from or accept the other sides point of view it is no wonder there is so much angst surrounding the camera.

Josh- I don't completely agree with some of  your descriptions- but pretty good. Factor into that people who believe the retro could have been better implemented and the knowledge that their is a finite number of Dslr's introduced every cycle... Pretty volatile. I think if the white elephant D710 was introns at the same time there would be a lot more acceptance of the Df.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +6 more
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to Iliah Borg, 7 months ago

Iliah Borg wrote:

Josh152 wrote:

Ever tried to shoot with two D4 cameras because you have no time to change lenses? How's your neck?

-- hide signature --

I've shot with two D800 with grips, one with SB-910 attached using Black Rapid setup for a six to eight hour shoot with no problems, and I'm 64. Of course I'm using f/4.0 lenses (24-120 & 70-200).

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,795Gear list
Like?

Josh152 wrote:

I don't own the Df but posting the same over & over about Df has become really painful. Are you trying to convince yourself?

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Samsung TL500 Nikon D800E Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 +8 more
Iliah Borg
Like?
In reply to brianric, 7 months ago

brianric wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Josh152 wrote:

I've shot with two D800 with grips, one with SB-910 attached using Black Rapid setup for a six to eight hour shoot with no problems, and I'm 64. Of course I'm using f/4.0 lenses (24-120 & 70-200).

I find it easier to use 2 Df cameras and 2 fast primes.

-- hide signature --
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150
Like?

Iliah Borg wrote:

Josh152 wrote:

-- hide signature --

No, however I did say not wanting to lug around D4s and still wanting the sensor was a reason people like the Df so I'm not sure why you are asking.

sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,305Gear list
Like?
In reply to dgrPhotos, 7 months ago

dgrPhotos wrote:

Seems like the biggest complaint is value and that will be different for everyone.

Seemed like a reasonable review to me, the things they didn't like were based mostly on personal preference.  Ignoring value, which I don't think is really relevant, the camera gets 17/20.  They gave it 4/5 stars and a "recommended" rating; I'm not sure what more they could do, it's not THAT great a camera

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 +14 more
Iliah Borg
Like?

Josh152 wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Josh152 wrote:

No, however I did say not wanting to lug around D4s and still wanting the sensor was a reason people like the Df so I'm not sure why you are asking.

You said "large". That is not exactly the only problem. Another problem is heavy. Unnecessary heavy for many applications.

-- hide signature --
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,182Gear list
Like?

Iliah Borg wrote:

brianric wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Josh152 wrote:

I find it easier to use 2 Df cameras and 2 fast primes.

-- hide signature --

Primes are useless on my type of photography, which is event type. Also, if you're using fast primes, why a Df?

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
Iliah Borg
Like?
In reply to brianric, 7 months ago

Primes are useless on my type of photography, which is event type.

Yes. Before zooms emerged event photography never existed.

-- hide signature --
optic67
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
image quality : 5
In reply to dgrPhotos, 7 months ago

image quality 5 , love mine

optic67's gear list:optic67's gear list
Nikon Df
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,328Gear list
Like?
I can't help but snicker at these kinds of inane generalizations

Josh152 wrote:

What about folks like me who also want an unobtrusive camera for candid photography (I've yet to have anyone not already aware what the camera was curious about the Dƒ, whereas the D800 elicits "Is that a DX00?" at every event I shoot)? Dƒ + small prime also draws considerably less attention on the street. Do I have to choose one of those aforementioned niches or can you speak one into existence for me and my ilk as well?

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
Iliah Borg
Like?
Re: I can't help but snicker at these kinds of inane generalizations
In reply to Kabe Luna, 7 months ago

Generally, all those attempts in classifications of people are rather disgusting

Kabe Luna wrote:

Josh152 wrote:

What about folks like me who also want an unobtrusive camera for candid photography (I've yet to have anyone not already aware what the camera was curious about the Dƒ, whereas the D800 elicits "Is that a DX00?" at every event I shoot)? Dƒ + small prime also draws considerably less attention on the street. Do I have to choose one of those aforementioned niches or can you speak one into existence for me and my ilk as well?

Yes, Df is attracting very little attention. Couple of times I was asked - are you still shooting film? Once I was asked to pull the film out.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads