Am I wrong? A6000 just a NEX 7 with a composite body and no tri navi

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
mike geier
Contributing MemberPosts: 698Gear list
Like?
Am I wrong? A6000 just a NEX 7 with a composite body and no tri navi
10 months ago

Am I wrong? A6000 just a NEX 7 with a composite body and no tri navi, in other words, a cheaped down NEX 7?

mike geier's gear list:mike geier's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX mini +11 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
spacemn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,147
Like?
Re: Am I wrong? A6000 just a NEX 7 with a composite body and no tri navi
In reply to mike geier, 10 months ago

mike geier wrote:

Am I wrong? A6000 just a NEX 7 with a composite body and no tri navi, in other words, a cheaped down NEX 7?

Well it should have magnesium alloy the places where the NEX-7 has got it (top plate and lower casing).

So that and a couple of fewer buttons than the 7, then you are more or less right

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, you are wrong

mike geier wrote:

It has OSPDAF AF that NEX-7 can dream of. It has improved sensor with better high ISO. It has better battery life. It has Wi-Fi and NFC. It has new much faster BIONZ-X quad core chip with new jpeg engine and selective noise reduction. It has much better price.

The only "downgrade" is EVF (still sharper and cleaner look than one in N6/7) and absence of tri-navi, BUT it has dedicated MR mode on top dial, C1 and C2 buttons, and 7 customizable buttons overall. IMHO it is a no contest with N6/7. Not even close.

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 3,121
Like?
In reply to Donny out of Element here, 10 months ago

Donny out of Element here wrote:

mike geier wrote:

It has OSPDAF AF that NEX-7 can dream of. It has improved sensor with better high ISO. It has better battery life. It has Wi-Fi and NFC. It has new much faster BIONZ-X quad core chip with new jpeg engine and selective noise reduction. It has much better price.

The only "downgrade" is EVF (still sharper and cleaner look than one in N6/7) and absence of tri-navi, BUT it has dedicated MR mode on top dial, C1 and C2 buttons, and 7 customizable buttons overall. IMHO it is a no contest with N6/7. Not even close.

+1

And you forgot the APPs...
And look at the price of $800 with kit lens, that is such a dramatic downgrade of the Nex 7!

Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 10 months ago

I actually see if more as a humpless, APS-C A7.

To me, a long time N7 user who still picks my N7 over any other camera (and yes, I returned the A7), the N7 is mostly about TriNavi and mag alloy case. Both these things make a huge difference vs other cameras. I loved my N6 units and like the 6's IQ slightly over the N7, but I still always pick the N7 when going out the door, because the TriNavi is genius for a Manual shooter like me, and the metal construction *feels* completely different in the hand.

I though the A7's build was appropriate, but not superb. I expect the A6000 (which I preordered anyway) to have pretty much the same. The new custom controls are welcome, but very necessary to balance the loss of the TriNavi. Fortunately, from what I read, the top dial is very configurable, which should let anybody adapt it to their shooting styles.

I hope the jpeg processing is NOT that of the A7, which I did find much worse than the N7's.

As amazing as the N7 is (and I'm totally keeping mine), if the AF claims of the A6000 are true, then it's gonna be a pretty neat camera.

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.
http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
Sony won't finish what they started

Sony won't finish what they started with the Nex-7. The tri-navi thing had considerable promise, but Sony wouldn't tinker, tweak or perfect it. They were deaf to the comments on the controls which could have been perfect.

The thing with the dials is that they were just too precise, with no way to configure them to be more responsive. I wanted to swing from f/16 to f/2 in fraction of a second, or from 1/1000 to 1/30 moving from light to shadow on the street. Couldn't. Each wheel click was fixed at 1/3. I could be wrong, but I doubt, even if they ever re-release tri-navi that they will take the trouble to get it just right.

I found the RX1 to be much more enjoyable to shoot, though I had the same problem with the shutter speed, at least there was the responsive aperture ring.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?

mike geier wrote:

It has improved sensor with better high ISO.

But the camera isn't even out yet and they aren't showing RAW images yet as far as I know.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
KelvinHammond
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?

Don't forget the wifi addition...   I'm still waiting to see.  The spec list isn't complete. It would need a few more differences for me to spring for one.

KelvinHammond's gear list:KelvinHammond's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 6D Samsung NX300 +11 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

OTOH, you should look at it as upgraded NEX-5R/T with higher resolution and integrated EVF. At $800, it is priced closer to NEX-5R ($750) than either NEX-6 ($1000) or NEX-7 ($1400).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 750
Like?

mike geier wrote:

who cares .. IF its contrast detection improves the NEX dire low light AF thats worth the upgrade (cant get to excited about sensor/processor bumps certainly not worth selling to upgrade) ... any more expensive and you would have to be a nutter not to go Sony FF if you wanted to stick with sony.

CEfan
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?

mike geier wrote:

Am I wrong?

Yes.

CEfan's gear list:CEfan's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
semifast
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?

The A3000 is more like an Nex7 than the A6000 is.

semifast's gear list:semifast's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 NEX5R Nikon Coolpix S800c Samsung Galaxy Camera (Wi-Fi)
mike geier
Like?
In reply to semifast, 10 months ago

I thought the A3000 was junk, returned it after my second use. Only kept it that long because I thought I must be wrong in how I felt and should give it another try. I was totally disappointed in it

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX mini +11 more
The Lotus Eater
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?

It really isn't.

The Lotus Eater's gear list:The Lotus Eater's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +8 more
Section10
Contributing MemberPosts: 762Gear list
Like?

semifast wrote:

This looks like a place to "not even"

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +2 more
mike geier
Like?

like I said, a cheaped down NEX 7

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

like I said, a cheaped down NEX 7

You could have said an upgraded NEX-5R or cheaper NEX-6 as well. Why only compare to a body that was 2x the price?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
mike geier
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 10 months ago

because that was what it was put fourth to be, a NEX 8-7 replacement. NOT

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

because that was what it was put fourth to be, a NEX 8-7 replacement. NOT

I see market placement rather than PR (or souped up) imaginations of "pro reviewers" much less rumor sites. It is a $650 (body) camera. NEX-6 was $850 and NEX-7 was $1300 (body only). The 6000 is 5R update with an integrated view finder without costing as much as even NEX-6.

tietheknot
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?

You obviously don't care about autofocus then.  That is the biggest selling point on the a6000.  So much for NEX (7 and others) users who complain so much about it and feel disappointed once autofocus may be made magical after all?

Have you ever used a 5r or 6?  In manual mode you have dedicated controls for aperture and shutter speed - it is really not much of a compromise to not have a dedicated ISO control, considering it is only one button press away.

Not to mention it is cheaper than the NEX 7.

tietheknot's gear list:tietheknot's gear list
NEX5R Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads