G1X mkII: No HDR, DR, 60fps @1080p and panorama, at such a high price?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Photato
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807Gear list
Like?
Profesional Reviews agree with you.
In reply to skyform, 8 months ago

skyform wrote:

I'm really dissapointed by Canon, they are far behind other companies when it comes to features. They could at least add DR, but would also prefer to have HDR and 60fps @1080p.

S120 and G16 both have 60fps and HDR so I thought that most of new Canons will have this features.

and when is Canon going to include sweep panorama for the first time in one of their cameras, like in 20 years?

This is not accaptable!

Don't bother about other people dismissing your comments and valid criticism. Professional Reviews agree with you.

I have read many Canon reviews raising this issue, including this site.

For Panoramas at least, it needs to have a alignment facility to help you guide you when shift/rotateing the camera. Hacked firmware can do that and some of the Old Powershots too, my ancient G5 has it.

60fps is also a very helpful feature for those making videos, is definitively not a gimmick, pro video gear has it. Even my Powershot Elph has it!

I guess Canon think it can get away with it, so they withhold certain features.

We'll see how it sells. According to the stats on the right "Most Popular Camera" nobody is too interested in it.

If it bothers so much I advice you to forget about this camera and find something that match your needs better.

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon EOS M Apple iPad Mini +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mk7
Mk7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?
Re: Profesional Reviews agree with you.
In reply to Photato, 8 months ago

Not untypical for features to be doled out. Is it because the G1 X is a "serious" camera, or to keep price in check, or, to keep you buying the next model ? ? ?

Other high-end compacts (as well as cheaper PowerShots) got 28mm wide, Face AF, HD video, GPS, wi-fi, HDR, and sweep pano before the "flagship" G series. How you feel about that is between you and your wallet

B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,833Gear list
Like?
Re: Goofy features are for amateurs and newbs.
In reply to crashpc, 8 months ago

crashpc wrote:

howardroark wrote:

skyform wrote:

I'm really dissapointed by Canon, they are far behind other companies when it comes to features. They could at least add DR, but would also prefer to have HDR and 60fps @1080p.

S120 and G16 both have 60fps and HDR so I thought that most of new Canons will have this features.

and when is Canon going to include sweep panorama for the first time in one of their cameras, like in 20 years?

This is not accaptable!

THIS is meant for people who know what they're doing. The price point, size, and feature set are all designed for people who take photography seriously.

HDR is a gimmick for the most part, especially when done in-camera, and Canon knows that HDR can be done easily by someone who knows what they're doing. Also, 60fps video? Useless nonsense that nobody actually needs or cares about does not interest those who love still and may use video occasionally if they feel the need.

Yes, the S120 and G16 are aimed at amateurs that don't know what they're doing and value goofy things that make a camera seem super advanced and pro and all that.

Sweep panorama is another feature that someone might use three times and even those three images will probably only ever be looked at three times each.

I don´t shoot video much, but If I do, it must be 60FPS, otherwise I rather shoot no video. I´m very sensitive for FPS, and I really hate looking at that tearing slideshows. Avatar 4k in cinema was real torture for my eyes. Can´t even play sports games under 60/50FPS. This tearing confuses me, so I don´t only enjoy, but when I need to interact, I totally miss everything. If I´ll shoot video on my SL1, I will shoot 720p 60FPS rather than 1080p with lower FPS. With HDR, it´s different story. While only Canon was not able to make usable handheld (ghosting filtered) HDR, I considered their HDR way as bestm because it looks most natural compared to other companies products.

I'm the opposite.  I can't stand watching 60fpd video.  It seems so unnatural to me.  Perhaps it's from watching thousands of movies, but I actually prefer the film look.  I was thankful to see both modes available on my S120.   As for the HDR, it's nice to have I suppose but I rarely ever use the in-camera HDR.  I generally prefer to shoot bracketed and then stack them in post.  Even at the default settings, most software can easily produce much better results than in-camera.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

Dave92F1
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X mkII: No HDR, DR, 60fps @1080p and panorama, at such a high price?

1080p60?

I'd be happy with 720p60.  Or even 480p60.  Why doesn't the G1X Mark II have any of those?

1920x1080 at 30p is 62.208 Mpixels/second.  If the DIGIC 6 can do that, then it should also be able to do:

* 720p60 (55.296 Mpixels/second)

* 480p120 (36.864 MPixels/second)

Look at something like the Panasonic FZ200 - it does just that; as the resolution goes down, the frame rate goes up.

Dave92F1's gear list:Dave92F1's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 60D Pentax Q Google Nexus 4
Rmark
Regular MemberPosts: 455Gear list
Like?
Re: Perhaps the price will come down?

Hopefully enough people will be disappointed with the lack of  these features that Canon will be forced to lower the price to encourage sales.

Seems like a pretty good upgrade to the original to me.  I don't do video or care about in camera HDR, but I could use a lower price....

Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
linzybel
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rmark, 8 months ago

I was the first one to start a thread on the lack of 60fps video, and I'm still annoyed.  I coach pole vault and high jump and would love to have really high quality slow motion for my athletes to view.  It's not critical, of course, but I don't understand why Canon would compromise on something as popular as this on a flagship compact camera.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to boblu, 8 months ago

THIS is meant for people who know what they're doing. The price point, size, and feature set are all designed for people who take photography seriously.

HDR is a gimmick for the most part, especially when done in-camera, and Canon knows that HDR can be done easily by someone who knows what they're doing. Also, 60fps video? Go away, feature whore! Useless nonsense that nobody actually needs or cares about does not interest those who love still and may use video occasionally if they feel the need.

Yes, the S120 and G16 are aimed at amateurs that don't know what they're doing and value goofy things that make a camera seem super advanced and pro and all that.

This is rude as well.  I have G16 so you mean I know nothing about photography? So only people with G1X are Pro>>>>>>

Aimed.  The operative word there is AIMED.  They have tons of useless features that excite people who don't know what they're doing and want to play with a camera rather than use it.  If you're an amateur that knows what you're doing then maybe you know how to use a manual mode, but the size and price point of these models is squarely directed at the consumer market, and most of the modes on that dial scream "you can make great pictures in any situation without needing to know anything at all about photography!!!  Yay!!!"  Now, the G1 X and Mark II have a lot of garbage modes and features too, but at least the price of admission keeps most of the clueless rabble away.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Jote
Regular MemberPosts: 170Gear list
Like?

Why is 1080p 60fps so important out of a sudden? Last time I checked "no 30fps" was the top issue. Why people seem to cannot live without 60fps now?

Jote's gear list:Jote's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
panamforeman
Contributing MemberPosts: 857Gear list
Like?
In reply to linzybel, 8 months ago

Why would you spend $800 for a camera to get Slo-Mo (if the G1X II had it?, which it doesn't at 60fps) when you can buy a Canon or Sony video camcorder at Sam's or Costco for under $300 that will do just that. At my niece's High-School that's what they use. Works great.

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?

I wish they would remove the video option completely.  99% of the time I use it is because I accidentally hit the damn button which usually gives me a wobbly blur of my feet and wind swept audio of me saying something that shouldn't be recorded anyway.

Come to think, the 1% that I actually did want video when I pushed the button I forget that I'm in portrait mode and so all my films come out sideways - sort of.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,533Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jote, 8 months ago

Jote wrote:

Why is 1080p 60fps so important out of a sudden? Last time I checked "no 30fps" was the top issue. Why people seem to cannot live without 60fps now?

The reason it's important to me is that the quality of the RX100 II video was better than many of the camcorders I had in the past.. to the point I was able to replace my camcorder with the RX100 II. Filming kids outdoors, 60p is very noticable compared to 30p.

Of course this is all moot if you do no plan or want to use your camera as you camcorder, but for me I want my camera to do both, and do it well.  That all being said, I'm *still* tempted to switch as getting an image-stabilized 24-120mm with a f/3.8-f/7.4 FF DOF equivalent in a small-ish package is pretty amazing.

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
Elaka Farmor
Regular MemberPosts: 446
Like?
In reply to ohcello, 8 months ago

A killer function would be (just like in Canon 600D and 70) the 3-10 crop zoom in video mode with no quality loss in x3 zoom. 120mm would be almost 360mm (a little less because the sensor is a little smaller than APS-C) f3.9 when recording video.

accupix
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
In reply to Sandeman684, 8 months ago

Sandeman684 wrote:

skyform wrote:

This is not accaptable!

According to this story the G1X mk II does have HDR-modes:

Yes it does- but only using multiple exposures (and probably not with the self-timer.) I expect any 'high quality' (over $ 500) P&S to offer DR control on single exposures w/jpeg. And while I'm at it- 10 fps (not 5.) I shoot action with my RX-100 and would very much like to love this Canon, but lets get with basic competitive abilities that are out there with other brands for over a year already . . .

http://www.brochures.canon-europe.com/getFile.php?productid=9001&languageid=-1

I don't know about panorama and DR. It clearly does not have 1080p 60fps.

VaLeX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063Gear list
Like?
The only thing really missing from this camera ...

The only thing really missing from this camera is weather sealing. This lack is defeating its purpose. I mean, this camera is design as an all-in-one, compact, take everywhere, capable camera. Good IQ and versatile lens, with no need to change lenses. Basically, one doesn't need more than this camera in journey around the world. If she wants to travel light. Yet, it is not weather-sealed. You can't risk getting it out in a light rain, you can't risk taking it on a windy beach. If sand enters between the two pieces of barrel that constitute the zoom, it's all finished (I've had a similar experience with an older G5? G6?). That particular mechanism for covering the front lens is also very delicate. If sand enters between those leaves, it will block the camera. I'd have preferred an traditional, replaceable, plastic cap.

So, forget about HDR and other tricks of digital manipulation. First, you have to be able to take the picture while preserving the integrity of the camera.

-- hide signature --

Comments, criticism, suggestions: it goes without saying!
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k107/huzururmuz/

VaLeX's gear list:VaLeX's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
deploylinux
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
In reply to crashpc, 8 months ago

Yes, for action, take video in 60fps, edit, and push to youtube/vimeo at 30fps.  That is the best way to get action video of good quality w/o taking up too much bandwidth/space.

I'd rather they have a single 60fps mode than three 30fps modes.

j2l3m7
Senior MemberPosts: 3,508Gear list
Like?
Re: The only thing really missing from this camera ...
In reply to VaLeX, 8 months ago

Great point, ValeX.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/tags/22314
John

j2l3m7's gear list:j2l3m7's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +18 more
coody
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?
What was the G1X price when it came to the market?
No text.
requa
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: What was the G1X price when it came to the market?
In reply to coody, 8 months ago

The same -- $799

requa's gear list:requa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot S100
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,378Gear list
Like?
Has HDR mode and comes with Panorama Software

So 2 out of your 3 complaints are bogus.   As for 60fps, if that's a deal breaker for you, then so be it.  I'm happy with 24 and 30fps options for general cinematography.  Nobody liked the new high framerate of the hobbit movies.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,930Gear list
Like?
Re: Has HDR mode and comes with Panorama Software
In reply to tkbslc, 8 months ago

tkbslc wrote:

Nobody liked the new high framerate of the hobbit movies.

Wow, so you are speaking for everyone?!  High frame rate is great for movies with action.  24 fps with action leads to blurry images and hard to follow action.  Speak for yourself, because in the end that is the only person you can speak for!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads