G1X mkII: No HDR, DR, 60fps @1080p and panorama, at such a high price?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
skyform
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
G1X mkII: No HDR, DR, 60fps @1080p and panorama, at such a high price?
5 months ago

I'm really dissapointed by Canon, they are far behind other companies when it comes to features. They could at least add DR, but would also prefer to have HDR and 60fps @1080p.

S120 and G16 both have 60fps and HDR so I thought that most of new Canons will have this features.

and when is Canon going to include sweep panorama for the first time in one of their cameras, like in 20 years?

This is not accaptable!

skyform's gear list:skyform's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Apple iPhone 5
Canon PowerShot G16
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,293Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X mkII: No HDR, DR, 60fps @1080p and panorama, at such a high price?
In reply to skyform, 5 months ago

skyform wrote:

I'm really dissapointed by Canon, they are far behind other companies when it comes to features. They could at least add DR, but would also prefer to have HDR and 60fps @1080p.

S120 and G16 both have 60fps and HDR so I thought that most of new Canons will have this features.

Bracketing in 14 bit raw, exposure blending and Graduated ND filters will all give you great dynamic range if you need it.

and when is Canon going to include sweep panorama for the first time in one of their cameras, like in 20 years?

Panoramas are easy to take without panorama sweep and the quality is better.

This is not accaptable!

Don't buy it, every camera is compromise somewhere along the line, the G1X is less of a compromise than most. If Canon tried to fit in every feature that everyone wanted you'd have a camera the size of a small hatchback and then someone would moan about the size.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skyform
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, 5 months ago

papillon_65 wrote:

skyform wrote:

Bracketing in 14 bit raw, exposure blending and Graduated ND filters will all give you great dynamic range if you need it.

This is not accaptable!

Don't buy it, every camera is compromise somewhere along the line, the G1X is less of a compromise than most. If Canon tried to fit in every feature that everyone wanted you'd have a camera the size of a small hatchback and then someone would moan about the size.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

The size would not increase because of features like HDR and 60pfs @1080. It would be a different story if I would ask for 1cm macro and 10x zoom in that body, that would impossible but adding features is always possible. Canon is lazy or it's just a marketing trick so that people who want more features buy cameras like S120 and G16.

But then why can Sony and Panasonic pack most of this features into their cameras. I would love to have a good Canon camera with all this features because I like their pictures at most.

Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Apple iPhone 5
boblu
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?

This is why I will pass mark II.

boblu's gear list:boblu's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS 6D Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon 1 J3 +1 more
papillon_65
Like?

skyform wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

skyform wrote:

This is not accaptable!

-- hide signature --

Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

The size would not increase because of features like HDR and 60pfs @1080. It would be a different story if I would ask for 1cm macro and 10x zoom in that body, that would impossible but adding features is always possible. Canon is lazy or it's just a marketing trick so that people who want more features buy cameras like S120 and G16.

But then why can Sony and Panasonic pack most of this features into their cameras. I would love to have a good Canon camera with all this features because I like their pictures at most.

Personally I'd take a 24-120mm F2-3.9 lens over those features all day long - that's the big selling point of this camera, that and the sensor size in a compact form.

-- hide signature --

Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
glenncombs
Senior MemberPosts: 2,053
Like?

That's why there are other camera choices out there. One particular camera will not fit all buyers. But, Canon listened to its users, and improved the features that were weak in the G1 X, to make the new model. I think the Mk II will be well accepted by a lot of folks. Nobody is making you buy the camera. Shop around, and find the camera that best suits you. That's what we all need to do.

Glenn

-- hide signature --

Canon S2, SD880, SD4000, G1 X

Sandeman684
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?

skyform wrote:

This is not accaptable!

According to this story the G1X mk II does have HDR-modes:

http://www.brochures.canon-europe.com/getFile.php?productid=9001&languageid=-1

I don't know about panorama and DR. It clearly does not have 1080p 60fps.

Sandeman684's gear list:Sandeman684's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot G10 G1 X II
skyform
Like?
In reply to Sandeman684, 5 months ago

Sandeman684 wrote:

skyform wrote:

This is not accaptable!

According to this story the G1X mk II does have HDR-modes:

http://www.brochures.canon-europe.com/getFile.php?productid=9001&languageid=-1

I don't know about panorama and DR. It clearly does not have 1080p 60fps.

Thanks! Now that's great, seems to have the same HDR modes as S120. If that's true the camera is mine. I could live without 60fps @1080p but will miss panorama, I'm too lazy to stick manually.

skyform
Like?
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Goofy features are for amateurs and newbs.

skyform wrote:

This is not accaptable!

THIS is meant for people who know what they're doing. The price point, size, and feature set are all designed for people who take photography seriously.

HDR is a gimmick for the most part, especially when done in-camera, and Canon knows that HDR can be done easily by someone who knows what they're doing. Also, 60fps video?  Useless nonsense that nobody actually needs or cares about does not interest those who love still and may use video occasionally if they feel the need.

Yes, the S120 and G16 are aimed at amateurs that don't know what they're doing and value goofy things that make a camera seem super advanced and pro and all that.

Sweep panorama is another feature that someone might use three times and even those three images will probably only ever be looked at three times each.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
David Hurt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,325Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sandeman684, 5 months ago

Thanks, Sandeman684 for this insight on the G1X Mark II(should have just been called the G2X - I DISLIKE all of Canon's Mark I, Mark II, Mark III, etc. just make them 1D2, 1D3, etc.).  Now my thoughts of this camera have come up a Lot more, but for the $$$ - still a factor for me.  I mainly shoot with my 50D/17-40L & my G15 - actually going to rent the SL-1 - not sure about the touch screen thing.

papillon_65
Like?
In reply to David Hurt, 5 months ago

David Hurt wrote:

Thanks, Sandeman684 for this insight on the G1X Mark II(should have just been called the G2X - I DISLIKE all of Canon's Mark I, Mark II, Mark III, etc. just make them 1D2, 1D3, etc.). Now my thoughts of this camera have come up a Lot more, but for the $$$ - still a factor for me. I mainly shoot with my 50D/17-40L & my G15 - actually going to rent the SL-1 - not sure about the touch screen thing.

I prefer my G1X but the touchscreen on the SL1 is excellent, same as the one on the EOS-M. It's very easy to use and makes a lot of sense on those cameras. Best touchscreen I've ever used.

-- hide signature --

Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

Hinder
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?

How often do people actually use those features? I played with HDR a couple of times and have made a few 10 second videos just to see what it was like, as for panoramas, I think I have about 5 at most over about 20 years and they're another experiment just to see what they're like. I use the sweep panorama mode on my iPhone goofing around sometimes but all of those scene modes and other stuff on my cameras, no, I never use them, but will admit that sometimes I feel cheated if it doesn't have them like other cameras do. I have used the double exposure mode on the 5Dlll a few times as a novelty too, now that I tried it I realize I never needed that either.  Not saying you don't need or want them, just saying I never use them.

Hinder's gear list:Hinder's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +16 more
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 1,989Gear list
Like?

papillon_65 wrote:

skyform wrote:

I agree but I am tired of processing and storing .raw file and having them slow down my write speed for certain shoots.  Having a DR option is still nice.  Though like you said its there if you want to work for it.

Yes they are better.  Most of the Pano options on camera are not as good as an iPhone because the size minimized to something so small it can't printed.  If they stitched full size and did it well, I would appreciate the option.

This is not accaptable!

Agree

-- hide signature --

Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
papillon_65
Like?
In reply to Hinder, 5 months ago

Hinder wrote:

How often do people actually use those features? I played with HDR a couple of times and have made a few 10 second videos just to see what it was like, as for panoramas, I think I have about 5 at most over about 20 years and they're another experiment just to see what they're like. I use the sweep panorama mode on my iPhone goofing around sometimes but all of those scene modes and other stuff on my cameras, no, I never use them, but will admit that sometimes I feel cheated if it doesn't have them like other cameras do. I have used the double exposure mode on the 5Dlll a few times as a novelty too, now that I tried it I realize I never needed that either. Not saying you don't need or want them, just saying I never use them.

I've become jaded by feature overkill, I like a simple to operate and fairly basic camera, clearly I'm getting old.

-- hide signature --

Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,836Gear list
Like?
Re: Goofy features are for amateurs and newbs.
In reply to howardroark, 5 months ago

howardroark wrote:

skyform wrote:

This is not accaptable!

THIS is meant for people who know what they're doing. The price point, size, and feature set are all designed for people who take photography seriously.

HDR is a gimmick for the most part, especially when done in-camera, and Canon knows that HDR can be done easily by someone who knows what they're doing. Also, 60fps video?  Useless nonsense that nobody actually needs or cares about does not interest those who love still and may use video occasionally if they feel the need.

Yes, the S120 and G16 are aimed at amateurs that don't know what they're doing and value goofy things that make a camera seem super advanced and pro and all that.

Sweep panorama is another feature that someone might use three times and even those three images will probably only ever be looked at three times each.

I don´t shoot video much, but If I do, it must be 60FPS, otherwise I rather shoot no video. I´m very sensitive for FPS, and I really hate looking at that tearing slideshows. Avatar 4k in cinema was real torture for my eyes. Can´t even play sports games under 60/50FPS. This tearing confuses me, so I don´t only enjoy, but when I need to interact, I totally miss everything. If I´ll shoot video on my SL1, I will shoot 720p 60FPS rather than 1080p with lower FPS. With HDR, it´s different story. While only Canon was not able to make usable handheld (ghosting filtered) HDR, I considered their HDR way as bestm because it looks most natural compared to other companies products.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,438
Like?

skyform wrote:

HDR as well as panorama can be done in post-processing; in fact it's better since you have control over the process.

Mark

skyform
Like?
In reply to howardroark, 5 months ago

howardroark wrote:

skyform wrote:

This is not accaptable!

If I would know nothing about photography then I probably wouldn't do pictures like this with my iPhone and Canon SX210.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9853147219/albums

and btw I'm using HDR all the time in Photoshop!

Meiki67
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?

Please see my wishlist here I forgot to mention in the *** Really not needed *** section all those "creative" modes and HDR and Panorama etc - all superflous things for a (semi-) professional camera. Any way you (I at least) do postprocessing in the lab at home and there this tricks are made much better.

I for my part await eagerly the release date.

Meiki

Meiki67's gear list:Meiki67's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
boblu
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?

skyform wrote:

howardroark wrote:

skyform wrote:

This is not accaptable!

HDR is a gimmick for the most part, especially when done in-camera, and Canon knows that HDR can be done easily by someone who knows what they're doing. Also, 60fps video? Go away, feature whore! Useless nonsense that nobody actually needs or cares about does not interest those who love still and may use video occasionally if they feel the need.

This is rude as well.  I have G16 so you mean I know nothing about photography? So only people with G1X are Pro>>>>>>

You are judding me and calling me a whore and know nothing about me!

If I would know nothing about photography then I probably wouldn't do pictures like this with my iPhone and Canon SX210.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9853147219/albums

and btw I'm using HDR all the time in Photoshop!

boblu's gear list:boblu's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS 6D Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon 1 J3 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads