BIF (kinda) at Royal Botanical Gardens

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
jaybp
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
BIF (kinda) at Royal Botanical Gardens
10 months ago

I went to the RBG Arboretum with my family today, because we thought our kids would be pretty thrilled to have birds fly onto their hands to eat.

I got a few BIF shots I was happy with, but it's sort of cheating as I was able to pre-focus on my daughter's hand and just wait for birds to start flying into frame.

I was shooting in A-mode, but looking back, I probably should have been full manual so I could set the shutter speed on my own. It was usually fast enough, but a few shots would have been better with a faster shutter.

Nothing particularly artistic about any of these shots, but they're the kind of family snapshots that I adore having.

All shot with the E-M1. I think one or two were with the 12-40, rest with the Olympus 40-150.

Enjoy!

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,623Gear list
Like?
Re: BIF (kinda) at Royal Botanical Gardens
In reply to jaybp, 10 months ago

They're great.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,928Gear list
Like?

Very cool place and it does look like your kids enjoyed themselves. (And the shots are really nice also.)

Probably would have picked S mode, that way you could have picked the shutter speed you wanted and let the camera bother with the rest of the exposure stuff. Well done anyway.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,732
Like?

Lovely pictures to treasure

-- hide signature --
Cheryl A
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, 10 months ago

Those are the kind of pictures that just make you smile and give you the warm fuzzies....

I especially like the one with your daughter making a face, and the one of her arm with the bird  in her hand, feathers out.

Cheryl

guido1953
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?

Very nice family outing with some great pics.

Regards,
Guido

Dr Hal
Contributing MemberPosts: 783Gear list
Like?

This is why photography is a fabulous hobby.  Our photographs become more valuable as time passes.

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
jaybp
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
Full set

I put the full set up on Flickr, if anyone's interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/parlar/sets/72157641092193375/

I'd normally trim a set down much more before posting to Flickr, but these shots were just too much fun

Jay P.

nzmacro
Forum ProPosts: 10,047Gear list
Like?

How special are those huh, wonderful to see and takes me back to when my daughter was younger.

All the best and thanks for the smiles

Danny.

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Mavica CD1000 +11 more
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,012
Like?
Re: Just loved those shots (nt)

jaybp wrote:

I went to the RBG Arboretum with my family today, because we thought our kids would be pretty thrilled to have birds fly onto their hands to eat.

I got a few BIF shots I was happy with, but it's sort of cheating as I was able to pre-focus on my daughter's hand and just wait for birds to start flying into frame.

I was shooting in A-mode, but looking back, I probably should have been full manual so I could set the shutter speed on my own. It was usually fast enough, but a few shots would have been better with a faster shutter.

Nothing particularly artistic about any of these shots, but they're the kind of family snapshots that I adore having.

All shot with the E-M1. I think one or two were with the 12-40, rest with the Olympus 40-150.

Enjoy!

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,781Gear list
Like?

What a great set to look back on in the future!

Andrew

local novice
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?

Very nice.  I wasn't that in to photography when my son was little and so only have bad instamatic pics which I treasure but wish were better.  Oh well this set is pretty cool, the girls are pretty cute. By the way I don't think it was cheating to prefocus on your daughter's hand.  i consider that smart and pretty clever and will remember that if faced with a similar situation.

local novice's gear list:local novice's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads