Day at Newstead Abbey, Nottingham

Started 5 months ago | Photos
OxfordDipper
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
Day at Newstead Abbey, Nottingham
5 months ago

So its finally stopped raining in the UK and ive been off work for the week, so as soon as the sun came out today i went off to try out the camera again.  Newstead Abbey is a really great place for pics, lots of different things from the house, formal gardens, japanese gardens and then the lakes.  Tried my best at the long exposure for the water falls, not having a filter to stop down made it more difficult but im pretty happy at my first go.

OxfordDipper's gear list:OxfordDipper's gear list
Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,390
Like?
Re: Day at Newstead Abbey, Nottingham
In reply to OxfordDipper, 5 months ago

Enjoyed looking at these pics. nice presentation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OxfordDipper
Like?
In reply to Trafford, 5 months ago

Trafford wrote:

Enjoyed looking at these pics. nice presentation.

Thanks, I'm really happy with how they look, was actually able to do what I was hoping for with them. Just need some more nice days so I can shoot more.

edform
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?

Did you take any shots of falling water at high shutter speeds? I'd like to see the comparison of shots where the water flow is not softened by longer exposure.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
jrdu
Forum ProPosts: 20,461
Like?
Oh, to be in England...

You got quite effective background blur in your flower shots.  I'm envious of the opportunity to walk in the English countryside.

-- hide signature --

John Dunn

elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 5,792Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh, to be in England...
In reply to jrdu, 5 months ago

jrdu wrote:

You got quite effective background blur in your flower shots. I'm envious of the opportunity to walk in the English countryside.

-- hide signature --

John Dunn

A very nice collection of shots, however, England?, I saw him sneaking around my Estate here in Merry Olde New Jersey

-- hide signature --

Elliott

OxfordDipper
Like?
In reply to edform, 5 months ago

Sorry everyone that i didnt reply, my email notification didnt seem to go off when any of you replied.

edform wrote:

Did you take any shots of falling water at high shutter speeds? I'd like to see the comparison of shots where the water flow is not softened by longer exposure.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

I only took one as i was trying to do the soft water for the first time. Here it is, still a nice shot but i just wanted to try the long exposures. Next on my shopping list is ND filter so i can do them a little easier without losing the sky.

@ elliotnewcomb - Ok you caught me, i thought i had got away with it They're a very nice flower, makes it easy to get a lovely shot.

edform
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?

OxfordDipper wrote:

Sorry everyone that i didnt reply, my email notification didnt seem to go off when any of you replied.

I only took one as i was trying to do the soft water for the first time. Here it is, still a nice shot but i just wanted to try the long exposures. Next on my shopping list is ND filter so i can do them a little easier without losing the sky.

I've never liked the smoothed water look at all. That makes the water look really refreshing.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
OxfordDipper
Like?
In reply to edform, 5 months ago

My girlfriend said the exact same thing when I went over to show her what I had done, she said she preferred the frozen water better. I haven't decided which I like yet, I have seen some shots that look great and others that are a bit cheesy. I've been reading and watching as many YouTube things as I can because this is my first proper manual camera. So I was just happy that it actually work.

rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 890Gear list
Like?

Enjoyed your images a lot, and since I recently moved to the area, I'm going to visit the place... as soon as we get some nicer weather.

Thanks for sharing

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads