Canon 6D: damaged raw files

Started 6 months ago | Questions
AlexNH
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Canon 6D: damaged raw files
6 months ago

Hello. Does anyone know what's causing this? Every now and then I'm getting these artifacts in .CR2 files:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2812/12569798024_3bbab5c013_b.jpg

It was NOT a burst shooting. Well over half a minute before the previous shot and the next one.

The memory card is 32GB Sandisk Ultra HC I. Same artifacts show up when I use other flash cards.

Is it a camera problem?

The camera is Canon 6D, less than 3,000 shots.

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mlaca
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D: damaged raw files
In reply to AlexNH, 6 months ago

i would say it is a memorycard error. try low level formating it in the 6d.

mlaca's gear list:mlaca's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,230Gear list
Like?

Although very rare, I have had similar and other problems with my 5D MKIII.  Not a memory card problem since I use dual cards and the problem shows up on both.

Recently I did a fitness session for a client where we ran through 110 poses.  I almost used my Fuji X-E2 which shows the picture taken immediately in the EVF.  I decided instead to use the 5D MKIII but checked the LCD screen after each shot.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,105
Like?
In reply to Jim Cassatt, 6 months ago

Jim Cassatt wrote:

Although very rare, I have had similar and other problems with my 5D MKIII. Not a memory card problem since I use dual cards and the problem shows up on both.

Both sandisk cards? How did you transfer them to the computer?

Recently I did a fitness session for a client where we ran through 110 poses. I almost used my Fuji X-E2 which shows the picture taken immediately in the EVF. I decided instead to use the 5D MKIII but checked the LCD screen after each shot.

-- hide signature --
Optical
Senior MemberPosts: 1,097
Like?
Can you post the original RAW file?

I will just view it in different raw converters.

Chris

AlexNH
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?

Thanks to everyone who responded! I appreciate your help guys.

The problem has been identified to the card reader.

Using a different SD card reader same file imports uncorrupted.

I still don't understand how it is possible but it is what it is: Importing files though one reader (a cheapo from ebay) corrupts about 1 in 20 files. Importing files thought another (also a cheapo, but from Newegg) doesn't. Go figure.

hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,284
Like?

Thanks for the feedback! These "corrupted image" threads occasionally crop up, so it is great you tracked down the problem.

These corrupted images generally seem to appear as card reader issues with a sprinkling of issues from folks using "ingest" programs instead of simple drag and drop or counterfeit cards.

I had a problem with a high-end Hoodman RAW Steel 3.0 reader when I first bought Lexar 1000X UDMA 7 cards, but I fixed it by downloading the latest software from Hoodman. All my older USB 2.0 readers are useless with the new UDMA 7 cards.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads