If it wasn't Sony...

Started 8 months ago | Polls
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
If it wasn't Sony...
8 months ago

This poll is about what you'd be seriously considering if you couldn't shoot or were giving up on Sony for whatever reason. Which vendor most floats your boat, within the unreasonable limited sets of choices with tongue in-cheek justifications I give you?

You know the rules. Your favorite answer probably isn't here. I no longer accept include "non-of-the-above" type answers either. Start your own poll if you can't handle it.

Of course I'm curious, since my own eye is wandering.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
POLL
Nikon or Canon DSLRs, since no other mirrorless system has enough appeal.
17.5% 24  votes
Samsung, because they still offer some cameras that sound like "NEX"!
5.1% 7  votes
Olympus, it's all about the AF, the touchscreen, the IBIS, or lotsa dials.
14.6% 20  votes
Fuji, because I feel they understand me. They appreciate me. Or the dedicated dials!
47.4% 65  votes
Panasonic--it's the video thing. They got it down.
2.9% 4  votes
What'cha talkin' about? Buy something not from Sony? They innovate. They command my loyalty!
12.4% 17  votes
  Show results
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?
TL: let me rephrase the problem/question
In reply to tesilab, 8 months ago
  • should there be III-rd party smart adapter[s], allowing me to mount Canon's EF lenses on Fuji in the same way it is possible for Nex'en with a plethora of MB, RJ, etc. smart adapters and speed boosters - preserving EXIFs, IS, electronic control of apertures, and some AF'ing functionality;
  • then, esp. given the recent developments on Fuji's AF front (XT-1), I'd go with Fuji;
  • somehow they do appeal much more to my photographic soul than S.
  • and more importantly - despite some problems in the past, when Fuji tried to disown the notorious white-orbs problem - somehow they rise more of long-term confidence in me;
  • in particular where it concerns the present and future lenses;

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,888Gear list
Like?
Re: If it wasn't Sony...

If it wasn't for Sony I would be with Nikon. For some reason I have never even considered Canon. I don't know why. Olympus lost me when they threw all their eggs in the m4/3rd basket. Sony gets lots of negative comments over their lack of lenses but Fuji isn't any better. Although I really like Fuji.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

xinn3r
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?

M43 is out of the question (smaller sensor).

So let's take a look at other APS-C Mirrorless players:

Canon: Not even worth discussing, they don't want to cannibalize their own DSLR sales, which says enough about the current state of their mirrorless cameras.

Samsung: Nice cameras, nice lens, but I somehow feel that Samsung focuses more on "gimmicks" than real photography needs, like those 3D lenses, I feel exactly the same way with their smartphones, too many useless apps, rather than improving useful apps.

Fuji: Now we're talking. Quality lens, quality camera (dislike the manual ISO and speed dials though, prefer customizable dials like Sony's. And the AF on their latest camera has improved a ton. Also, frequent updates from user feedback.

Only problem is Fuji is a hell a lot more expensive in China than Sony.

xinn3r's gear list:xinn3r's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,434Gear list
Like?

I had a long, happy run with Canon until I went mirrorless. A full-frame EOS would be the next most manual-focus-friendly full-frame solution and could even accept my old Leitz & Nikkor primes. I understand they have a few decent dedicated system lenses as well. 

I could have gone back to Nikon, but I'm not that tempted by their DSLRs (though they do contain pretty much the same sensors as I'm used to). The whole DF thing was kind of the last straw for me - if that's their idea of "pure" and going back to their roots… I still have the trusty old Nikkor primes I used to roam the globe with but, honestly, they're no longer my favorites.

If Fuji went full-frame with their mirrorless system, with good MF support as I hear they now have, Sony could be in real trouble. (Though I do like Sony's current color response & RAW support.)

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
andre700
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
There is a choice missing!
In reply to Jefenator, 8 months ago

I might consider a CaNicon apsC camera and a telezoom for birding, but if I was to change system completely, I think I would go for Leica M as my main camera. However, as it is, my plan (dream?) of A7 and a new set of lenses is expensive enough.

-- hide signature --

André F

andre700's gear list:andre700's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +15 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,337Gear list
Like?

I voted, but I already elected to go with Canon (6D). Actually, I went with Nikon because I had a D70 before I bought my NEX 5N in 2011. But I bought a Nikon D600 and the problems with that camera are well documented . . . mine had bunches of oil spots on the sensor. I had it just a few days and sent it back and bought a Canon 6D; giving up on Nikon.

I am disappointed the Sony found a way to put the fastest AF in the world in the A6000, but the much more expensive A7/R didn't get the same technology. Now, we don't know how perfect conditions have to be for the A6000 to demonstrate extra fast AF and my issue has always been as an available light shooter (thus, the 6D). But I am not happy lugging around my big camera (and giant Sigma 35/1.4) so I'd really like to find a way back to the smaller Sony cameras.

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
addieleman
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
Re: There is a choice missing!
In reply to andre700, 8 months ago

As Sony is the only mirrorless FF option I'm not likely to jump ship although I have a few quibbles with Sony:

• Bad quiality control with lenses and (to a somewhat lesser degree) cameras
  • Sony forces you to buy a new camera when you want newer features that could be offered to older models by a firmware upgrade
  • Customer service in The Netherlands is slow

If I'd want to use APS-C again Fuji would be my first choice, they seem to understand what a photographer needs: top-notch lenses and cameras with good controls.

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Ad.

addieleman's gear list:addieleman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +7 more
pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 626Gear list
Like?

Def Fuji if they had decent video and prices here similar to sony.

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
TheDoctah22
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Re: There is a choice missing!
In reply to addieleman, 8 months ago

Definitely Fuji If not for Sony.

They are the only other APS-C sized manufacturer of mirrorless cameras that put out decent products. If I had more cash I probably would've had an X-Pro1 instead of the NEX 6

TheDoctah22's gear list:TheDoctah22's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Apple iPhone 4S Apple iPad WiFi +1 more
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,276Gear list
Like?
Re: If it wasn't Sony...and voting for my reasons, not yours.

I voted: Fuji, but definately NOT for this: "because I feel they understand me. They appreciate me. Or the dedicated dials".  Image Quality is what matters more to me, and the X-A1 image quality looks fantastic, even at ISO settings that I'd never consider using.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Moondancer
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?

This poll is about what you'd be seriously considering if you couldn't shoot or were giving up on Sony for whatever reason. Which vendor most floats your boat, within the unreasonable limited sets of choices with tongue in-cheek justifications I give you?

You know the rules. Your favorite answer probably isn't here. I no longer accept include "non-of-the-above" type answers either. Start your own poll if you can't handle it.

Of course I'm curious, since my own eye is wandering.

When Fuji introduces a mirrorless FF, then that would be the catalyst for me to switch to Fuji system.

If I had to choose now, I'd think real hard whether I must shoot FF. If it's a yes, then will go with Leica. Else will pick Fuji.

tesilab
Like?
As of first 43 votes, you gotta admit

Fuji seems to be getting a lot of love in this poll. This has been a fun exercise.

I voted Fuji too, though the Xtrans sensor turns me off. But the dedicated dials and lack of mode dial turn me on, and the viewfinder on the XT-1 is looking kind of promising. The 56mm f/1.2 is also catching my attention. It's just starting to look like the type of device I want to handle to do my shooting, all the basics up front.

Of course I'm teasing with the "they get me, they appreciate me" bit (And all the other brand justifications). That and their firmware upgrades to discontinued cameras are just cynical ploys on Fuji's part. But I'm falling for it anyway.

Sony, take note where our eyes are wandering.

Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,871
Like?
Re: As of first 43 votes, you gotta admit

tesilab wrote:

Fuji seems to be getting a lot of love in this poll. This has been a fun exercise.

I voted Fuji too, though the Xtrans sensor turns me off. But the dedicated dials and lack of mode dial turn me on, and the viewfinder on the XT-1 is looking kind of promising. The 56mm f/1.2 is also catching my attention. It's just starting to look like the type of device I want to handle to do my shooting, all the basics up front.

Of course I'm teasing with the "they get me, they appreciate me" bit (And all the other brand justifications). That and their firmware upgrades to discontinued cameras are just cynical ploys on Fuji's part. But I'm falling for it anyway.

Sony, take note where our eyes are wandering.

I can take or leave the Fuji camera bodies although I do like the dedicated dials and I like what I see with the X-T1.  But with Fuji it's really about the lenses and Fuji's apparent strategy to build customer loyalty.

pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 626Gear list
Like?

While on Fuji forums, sony gets hate, in sony forums fuji gets love. Interesting

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,010
Like?

You mean there is something other than Sony???
The NEX was my first "Real" camera and as such I real have not looked at others.  That is not to say there are not other camera systems that do not have potential, I simply don't give them the time or energy.

That said, on pure looks, the Samsung NX line looks killer.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

tesilab
Like?
I agree on the Samsung
In reply to davect01, 8 months ago

I think they look very attractive. They do a lot of things right, they just don't offer anything compelling just yet.

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,393
Like?
Re: As of first 43 votes, you gotta admit

I won't try another Fuji camera. I've bought and returned three. Nice looking, seemed decent in the stores. Didn't like them once I had them home and tried to use them.

-- hide signature --
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,393
Like?

The Sony A7 is my second system, dedicated to use of Leica R lenses. The A7 has a great viewfinder, an excellent sensor, and turns out to be a very compatible match to all my R and Nikkor lenses. The body's controls are a bit clunky and the menus are a mess, but it has just enough customization to let me set it up the way I want the controls to work, and once that's done, the controls are just ergonomic enough to be usable. I wish they'd hire a photographer for their design team.

My primary system is Olympus/Panasonic Micro-FourThirds. I have a nice kit of superb Olympus and Panasonic, Panasonic-Leica lenses for it.

Your reasons for choosing Olympus in the poll are snarky nonsense, the reason to use the Olympus E-M1 and be in the Micro-FourThirds system are the excellent sensor, the excellent ergonomics, the fast and fluid controls, the quiet shutter, the excellent viewfinder, the huge range of excellent lenses, and the fast, responsive operation.

I use the A7 as a semi-manual camera because it's the best way to use my beloved Leica R lenses. I don't trust Sony to stay focused on any one system long enough to deliver a complete, high quality lens line. They've been failing on that mark for some time now.

-- hide signature --
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,010
Like?
Re: I agree on the Samsung

tesilab wrote:

I think they look very attractive. They do a lot of things right, they just don't offer anything compelling just yet.

Ya, only messed with it for a couple of minutes.  Seems nice enough>
Just on pure looks, it is the greatest looking one out there.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads