Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,531Gear list
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

Too big and expensive, the 60mm is fine for me.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
If you don't need f1.2 ...
In reply to Aethon, 10 months ago

the the Zeiss 55 - http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sony-fe-55-1-8

or for Nikon users the new 58 - http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/nikon-58mm-f1-4g

or for anyone else the Sigma 50 - http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_50_1p4_c16

All seem OK to me - YMMV of course

Nick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
L of the P
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

I'm debating this. Have been looking forward to this lens, as I'm sure it will be pretty amazing, but most of the X lenses are of a high-quality.

I've been using a 60mm Nikon with a converter, which works well for studio work. A little limiting otherwise.

Contemplating the 18-55, 60, or the 56. Also would love the 23, but need to figure out my kit, as I currently have the 18 and 35. Need something on the longer side.

 L of the P's gear list:L of the P's gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,698Gear list
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

Bought and paid for, just waiting now.

 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Graham Plain
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to L of the P, 10 months ago

I'm leaning that way but before making a final decision I'll want to handle it. The 56mm focus length is perfect for my needs and it's fast enough when combined with the exceptional high ISO quality of the Fuji X-Trans sensors. However it has to be quiet in operation. Very quiet!

I shoot at a number of chess congresses. In a room filled with utter silence; the sound of a noisy auto-focus motor or the thump-thump of a bouncing dSLR mirror brings with it disapproving stares from all the nearby players. Chess congresses are not ideal venues to shoot at. The lighting is usually poor to terrible and obviously flash is right out.

I love my XE2 for that reason. I can shoot at ISO 3200 without hesitation and even ISO 6400 if pushed, and get great results. My D7000 simply can't match it even as low as ISO 1600. I tried a D800. The high ISO capability was there but the shutter/mirror is much noisier in operation.

Chess players have this annoying tendency to look down at the board rather than into the camera. My old joints are getting too stiff to crouch down for every shot. I'll hoping an XT1 (hurray for tilting LCD and waistline shooting) and 56mm f1.2 combination will be a pretty ideal solution.

Short answer: if the 56mm f1.2 is quiet then yes, I'll get one. Probably with a XT1 for it to live on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JFMoore
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
Re: not right away
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

I am very interested in this lens, but I don't have a spare thousand bucks.  Will keep busy with 35, 60, and 14 for now, maybe in 6 months or a year there will be a deal and I'll weaken.  To me it would be a way to get back to what I could do with the 5D2 with 85mm 1.8, but with much less bulk and weight, and just maybe better wide open.

As for the XT1, not now, not ever.  Using the XE2 has been a revelation.  I don't need to have my nose smashed against the back of a camera and have a screen I have to wipe free of breath constantly.  Not to mention the humps look ugly to me now.   I'd be much more likely to go for a X100S if there were a reasonable diopter solution.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to Graham Plain, 10 months ago

You want a leaf shutter (Fuji X100/s, Sony RX1,RX100, Ricoh GR) Or pure electronic shutter (Pansonic GX7).

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
Re: not right away
In reply to JFMoore, 10 months ago

You must be right-eyed. Those problems are actually worse for me with the left-side viewfinder. Nevertheless I still prefer them to a hump.

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gbert15
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

I am thinking of purchasing one along the line but cant justify the price just yet! I plan to use my Takumar 50/1.4 for now till they lower the price or have some rebates for it!

What is the likelihood that they would discount/have a rebate for the 56/1.2 towards the end of the year?

 gbert15's gear list:gbert15's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

I want it. I just don't know when I'll be able to afford it.

 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Elwell
Regular MemberPosts: 289Gear list
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

on pre order

 Simon Elwell's gear list:Simon Elwell's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,632Gear list
Like?
Re: 650 f2.4 ???
In reply to nick_webster, 10 months ago

Sorry, my brain got ahead of my fingers :).  That should be 56 mm f2.4.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,531Gear list
Like?
I think I am done buying, have my bases covered
In reply to Simon Elwell, 10 months ago

I always has a 2 lens kit (when not zooms in the Canon EOS film days) the lenses were Canon 35mm F2 and 100mm F2.8. Later with Contax (after my fiasco with the EOS) I had the 40 (or was it a 45mm) and the 90mm. I never felt that I was needing much else.

With my GXR I had a 28mm that was a bad copy and the 50mm that was outstanding, but I like a bit wider view.

Now with the XE1 I think I am done, I have the 60mm for my Long lens, and I start with the 14 for my wide lens and something in-between and the kit zoom. I really do not know what I would need for my wants, needs or shooting style, very long lenses have never appealed to me, I am thinking that the 60mm is a bit long and not sure how much I will use it but the price has been right.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
david6785
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to wyldberi, 10 months ago

I woould love too but I just picked up a 60 and preordered the xt1 so I'm pretty much tapped out for now on the money side. I'm pretty much covered on the lense front with the 23 27 and 60. If I buy another lense it would be a updated 35 or a weather sealed lense.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zoomer52
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

I don't know it that's going to be an "exiting" lens or not, but I'm sure EXCITED about it, and do have one on order.

I expect to use it wide open for full and half body portraits, and HOPE it will give me almost as pleasing a bokeh as my Canon 85mm f1.2L on a full-frame body.

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Is this the most exiting lens Fuji is making?

 Zoomer52's gear list:Zoomer52's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JFMoore
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
Re: not right away
In reply to tesilab, 10 months ago

tesilab wrote:

You must be right-eyed. Those problems are actually worse for me with the left-side viewfinder. Nevertheless I still prefer them to a hump.

Definitely right-eyed, and I could understand the viewfinder placement making it worse for the left-eyed.  I don't suppose there is any manufacturer of right-sided VFs?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DAndison
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Is this the most exiting lens Fuji is making?

The few shots I have seen posted are way better than any other lens I can recall seeing the results from.

Is this the most exciting lens currently on the market?

Who plans to get one?

I am thinking XT1 and 56 1.2 is the Fuji X dream team!

Greg.

Yeah.... that's what I've gone for plus the grip. I liked the idea of it being a responsive action lens (to a degree compared to DSLR) when coupled with the XT1. Looking forward to it arriving in the next couple of weeks or so!

 DAndison's gear list:DAndison's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Graham Plain
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to tesilab, 10 months ago

tesilab wrote:

You want a leaf shutter (Fuji X100/s, Sony RX1,RX100, Ricoh GR) Or pure electronic shutter (Pansonic GX7).

A leaf shutter is certainly going to be the quietest option. You're completely correct about that. However:

(a) Fuji X100/s has a fixed 23mm lens (35mm equivalent) which is too short a focal length. I'd have to be putting the camera right into players' faces, which would be a distraction and definitely wouldn't be appreciated. And facial distortion would also be an issue.

(b) Sony RX1 also has a fixed lens, 35mm (50mm equivalent). So the same issues as in (a) above come into play. I currently use my XE2 with 35mm f1.4 combination and find it's terrific for game shots when showing both players and board, but too short for player at the board portraits. I have great hopes for the 56mm.

(c) Sony RX100 with its 3.6x zoom covers the focal length I need. However it starts at f1.8 and assuming roughly linear progression will be be around f2.8 at 50mm. I'm often having to shoot at ISO 6400 wide open with the 35mm f1.4 and struggling to lift my shutter speed up high enough to avoid noticeable camera shake. And the Sony RX100 is significantly worse for high ISO noise in RAW. Lastly, and this is sheer vanity, I don't think I'd present the impression I'd really like to give using what looks like a small point and shoot.

(d) Ricoh GR is another fixed focal length, 28mm this time. See the comments already made in (a) and (b).

(e) Panasonic GX7 looks a distinct possibility until we compare high ISO noise to the XE2.

There are probably many other possible choices in addition to the ones you mentioned. I can't claim to have done an exhaustive job of research before making my decision. I was shooting with D7000 and 50mm f1.4 lens and was unhappy with the results. Basically I could choose between horrid grain or waxy faces. As I mentioned I thought about a D800. Images were good but the camera was too noisy in operation. Saw some images from a XP1 by another photographer at a congress and was instantly sold - and the XE2 had just come out.

... and I'm undoubtedly rambling aimlessly by this point... so I'll stop.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to Graham Plain, 10 months ago

I just use the RX1 and crop like heck. Though a flip screen would be awfully handy in that case.

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,531Gear list
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to Graham Plain, 10 months ago

Graham Plain wrote:

tesilab wrote:

You want a leaf shutter (Fuji X100/s, Sony RX1,RX100, Ricoh GR) Or pure electronic shutter (Pansonic GX7).

A leaf shutter is certainly going to be the quietest option. You're completely correct about that. However:

(a) Fuji X100/s has a fixed 23mm lens (35mm equivalent) which is too short a focal length. I'd have to be putting the camera right into players' faces, which would be a distraction and definitely wouldn't be appreciated. And facial distortion would also be an issue.

(b) Sony RX1 also has a fixed lens, 35mm (50mm equivalent). So the same issues as in (a) above come into play. I currently use my XE2 with 35mm f1.4 combination and find it's terrific for game shots when showing both players and board, but too short for player at the board portraits. I have great hopes for the 56mm.

(c) Sony RX100 with its 3.6x zoom covers the focal length I need. However it starts at f1.8 and assuming roughly linear progression will be be around f2.8 at 50mm. I'm often having to shoot at ISO 6400 wide open with the 35mm f1.4 and struggling to lift my shutter speed up high enough to avoid noticeable camera shake. And the Sony RX100 is significantly worse for high ISO noise in RAW. Lastly, and this is sheer vanity, I don't think I'd present the impression I'd really like to give using what looks like a small point and shoot.

(d) Ricoh GR is another fixed focal length, 28mm this time. See the comments already made in (a) and (b).

(e) Panasonic GX7 looks a distinct possibility until we compare high ISO noise to the XE2.

There are probably many other possible choices in addition to the ones you mentioned. I can't claim to have done an exhaustive job of research before making my decision. I was shooting with D7000 and 50mm f1.4 lens and was unhappy with the results. Basically I could choose between horrid grain or waxy faces. As I mentioned I thought about a D800. Images were good but the camera was too noisy in operation. Saw some images from a XP1 by another photographer at a congress and was instantly sold - and the XE2 had just come out.

... and I'm undoubtedly rambling aimlessly by this point... so I'll stop.

RX 1 is FF and 35mm same as fuji after conversion to FF terminology.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads